IGNORED

Jinger and the Jock- I only wanna be with you!

samurai_sarah

2 hours ago, luv2laugh said:

Here's the scoop on Marrying Young:

• It IS geographical. Women who marry young typically come from the south or Utah (heavily Mormon areas). 
    • It's also cultural. In the south and in Utah, there is again, a marry ASAP and be barefoot & pregnant culture.
  • Those that are more educated DO marry later in life. Women who marry young usually do not have a college degree.
    • Thus it is not surprising to me that some have marry ASAP barefoot in braces with a cake and punch parking lot reception and some have fancy, ritzy glamorous weddings that rival Princess Kate's. If you are marrying at 20 vs 30, there will  most likely be a difference in the type of wedding you have. This is why I find it silly to poke fun at people's weddings. It's totally cultural and geographical! 
  • Marrying under 25 increases your divorce rate. Note my above post.

For the record, there are obvious exceptions and these are not typical. This is only what the studies have shown so please don't be offended. This is not oversimplifying a blatant fact. 

The Atlantic did an entire story on rural women who marry young. 
They found, "women outside cities tend to marry earlier, have limited access to good healthcare, and experience higher rates of domestic violence."

Marrying Young:  "According to a 2010 study "Early marriage in the U.S. Why Some Marry Young, Why Many Don't and What Difference It Makes," early marriage occurs most frequently among young adults with low educational trajectories, who come from families with more limited resources. These young adults typically come from rural communities and the Southern U.S.

Rural women are more likely to have sex and marry earlier than urban women according to studies.    Why is this? The less educated you are, the more likely you are to marry young. 53% of women with a high school diploma married by 25 years old compared with 37% of women with bachelor's degrees, according to the CDC. Rural women are less likely to have earned a bachelor's degree or master's degree compared to urban women, according to 2011 U.S. Health and Human Services statistics, priming them for early marriages."

The NY Times reported on something called The Small Town Effect when it comes to early marriage.  Basically, rural areas RULE when it comes to marrying young:

"Less densely populated places seem to promote marriage, The places that discourage marriage most tend to be cities, including San Francisco, Philadelphia and New Orleans, as well as their surrounding areas...spending childhood nearly anywhere in blue America — especially liberal bastions like New York, San Francisco, Chicago, Boston and Washington — makes people about 10 percentage points less likely to marry relative to the rest of the country. And no place encourages marriage quite like the conservative Mountain West, especially the heavily Mormon areas of Utah, southern Idaho and parts of Colorado."

Places that make being married by age 26 Less Likely & More Likely
"Utah is worth special attention. It’s not surprising that it leads the nation in encouraging marriage: The state is home to a large Mormon population, which is well known for marrying young. A childhood in Utah, makes marriage 20 percentage points more likely by age 26 than an average childhood in the United States.

By comparison, a childhood in Manhattan, on the other end of the spectrum, makes marriage only 12 percentage points less likely ...by comparison, the Northeast generally discourages marriage for children of all income levels, and the Mountain West encourages it for children of all levels."

Map of where you are more likely & less likely to be married by 26:
marriage2.JPG

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/05/15/upshot/the-places-that-discourage-marriage-most.html

As long as we're talking about what age everyone's getting married, here's a neat Pew Research graphic on median ages of first marriages: mARRIAGE 1.JPG

It is not surprising that the median ages of marriage are lowest (younger) in the south being Arkansas, Oklahoma, and a combo of the heavily Mormon areas  of Utah and Idaho.  It also does not surprise me that the areas of highest median age of marriage are career-oriented and abundantly educated cities of NY & DC.

The Atlantic http://www.theatlantic.com/sexes/archive/2013/06/the-particular-struggles-of-rural-women/276803/

NY Times http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/05/15/upshot/the-places-that-discourage-marriage-most.html

Yes in Kansas and Oklahoma, you can buy a decent home for 60k. This is just not the case here. There are areas here where the average price of a home sold is one million. No one here marries under 25.

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UMMMMM just here to point out that in that infographic map, the only SEC state indicated for young marriage is Arkansas, and ZERO deep south states are indicated.  Average age appears to be mid to late 20's, which comports with my own experience.  So, that flies in the face of the whole "THE SOUTH IS NOT EDUCATED AND IN A HURRY TO MARRY AND BE BAREFOOT AND PREGNANT" schtick.  If your perception is that Southerners are not educated, you've never been in the South, and you're buying into stereotypes.  There are uneducated people everywhere.  

Still don't get why the fuck it is not okay to insult ANYONE on this site except for Southerners.  It really burns my butter. 

It's definitely not okay to insult people based on where they live, and I'm sure tons of people wait to get married, but maybe the age Southerners get hitched at seems super young compared to the age of other couples.

On 10/3/2016 at 10:15 PM, OrchidBlossom said:

I really don't understand why his politeness to JB or his setting boundaries means he isn't a fundamentalist. Fundamentalist refers to his religious beliefs and inclinations, not his relationship with his in-laws. At least on FJ, but I think also generally, the common definition which I personally ascirbe to is that a fundamentalist sees things black and white. There is no room for other religions, other interpretations of the bible, other political/social views, or other ways of living. Fundie-lite is like, believing all the same things as a fundamentalist, but seeing a little more gray area and being willing to accept or tolerate certain deviation.

One glance at Jeremy's website and YouTube videos is enough to tell me he is a fundie, let alone that he is courting a Duggar. I'm glad he is a little more willing to stand up to JB, but his willingness to do so doesn't negate what appears to be a very fundamentalist ministry and mindset.

Well, if that's the case, I'm a fundamentalist too.  Anyone who lives by any faith would be a fundamentalist.  I see a HUGE difference between Jeremy and the Gothard Cult.  Time will tell I suppose.

22 minutes ago, sj3339sta said:

Well, if that's the case, I'm a fundamentalist too.  Anyone who lives by any faith would be a fundamentalist.  I see a HUGE difference between Jeremy and the Gothard Cult.  Time will tell I suppose.

... no? Many Christians and people of other faiths are able to accept and tolerate division or theological difference and are able to carry on friendships and meaningful relationships with people of other faiths. Many Christians are able to see grey area and understand different theological interpretations (notice I am saying understand/see these difference, not agree with). Fundamentalists believe it is "my way or the highway" for the entire world population. They don't accept, tolerate, or make any attempt to understand anyone with different theological, social, or political views. If you think that describes you, I mean sure, I guess you're a fundamentalist. But don't muddy the name of other Christians and people of faith with it, because many many many Christians and people of faith live side by side with and respect all manner of people every day.

By the way, "fundamentalist" and "IBLP follower/Gothardite" aren't synonymous. A fundamentalist is as I described above, anyone who follows any faith so rigidly and harshly and legalistically as to be totally intolerant of any deviation from their worldview. A Gothardite/IBLPer is someone who follows a specific cult (IBLP) which happens to be a fundamentalist cult. So while you may very well be correct that Jeremy isn't a Gothardite (or at least we have no evidence that he is, and I would actually tend to agree that he doesn't seem familiar with the rituals and observences of that particular cult), his lack of association with IBLP in no way disqualifies him from being a fundamentalist.

21 minutes ago, OrchidBlossom said:

... no? Many Christians and people of other faiths are able to accept and tolerate division or theological difference and are able to carry on friendships and meaningful relationships with people of other faiths. Many Christians are able to see grey area and understand different theological interpretations (notice I am saying understand/see these difference, not agree with). Fundamentalists believe it is "my way or the highway" for the entire world population. They don't accept, tolerate, or make any attempt to understand anyone with different theological, social, or political views. If you think that describes you, I mean sure, I guess you're a fundamentalist. But don't muddy the name of other Christians and people of faith with it, because many many many Christians and people of faith live side by side with and respect all manner of people every day.

By the way, "fundamentalist" and "IBLP follower/Gothardite" aren't synonymous. A fundamentalist is as I described above, anyone who follows any faith so rigidly and harshly and legalistically as to be totally intolerant of any deviation from their worldview. A Gothardite/IBLPer is someone who follows a specific cult (IBLP) which happens to be a fundamentalist cult. So while you may very well be correct that Jeremy isn't a Gothardite (or at least we have no evidence that he is, and I would actually tend to agree that he doesn't seem familiar with the rituals and observences of that particular cult), his lack of association with IBLP in no way disqualifies him from being a fundamentalist.

Thanks for taking the time to explain.  We actually agree.  I am not a Fundamentalist if that is the definition we are going by here.  Not by a long shot.  I do follow my Christian faith and it molds my every day life.  That said, I am also politically a Libertarian.  

As for Jeremy, I'm going with my gut.  Maybe it is wishful thinking, but his sermons on YouTube that I have read (because I'm a little too interested in this family) don't imply full on Fundamentalist to me.  And especially after researching and listening to his dad preach.  Christian?  Most definitely.  Politically Evangelical?  Probably.  Fundamentalist?  I'm not yet convinced.  

3 minutes ago, sj3339sta said:

Thanks for taking the time to explain.  We actually agree.  I am not a Fundamentalist if that is the definition we are going by here.  Not by a long shot.  I do follow my Christian faith and it molds my every day life.  That said, I am also politically a Libertarian.  

As for Jeremy, I'm going with my gut.  Maybe it is wishful thinking, but his sermons on YouTube that I have read (because I'm a little too interested in this family) don't imply full on Fundamentalist to me.  And especially after researching and listening to his dad preach.  Christian?  Most definitely.  Politically Evangelical?  Probably.  Fundamentalist?  I'm not yet convinced.  

No problem. I know that the definitions can get blurred at times.

My personal opinion is that Jeremy is fundie. Possibly we are interpreting the same material different ways, possibly we have seen different sermons, but between his father's sermons on biblical femininity and gender roles (not a complete indicator, but I have found those terms to be huge tip-offs) and his own black/white sermons and his associations with well known fundamentalists (including SOS ministries and the Duggars) lead me to believe so. However, only time will tell. I tend to operate by the rule that if someone goes out of their way to associate with these kinds of people and shares their beliefs and values, they are fundamentalists until proven otherwise. The company he is choosing to keep speaks volumes to me. 

Good news is we probably won't have to wait long to find out... given that JinJer are on the "fast track" as they keep reminding us, I am sure we will soon start learning about their post-marriage life and we can see what kind of direction Jeremy is leading his new family.

Just now, sj3339sta said:

Do we even know if they are married yet?  It's so very quiet in Duggarland.

No we don't know. It is possible but I think its highly unlikely that they could pull off a wedding without someone finding out. Since they're being very quiet about the plans I suspect that we will  get a social media announcement or possibly just a magazine cover right after the wedding.

7 minutes ago, sj3339sta said:

Do we even know if they are married yet?  It's so very quiet in Duggarland.

Not with any certainty, but as @Bethellamentioned we expect some kind of publicity once it has happened. She was staying in a hotel to do wedding planning recently, as well. Which means it's probably on the horizon but not actually happened yet.

On 10/7/2016 at 0:55 PM, luv2laugh said:

Here's the scoop on Marrying Young:

• It IS geographical. Women who marry young typically come from the south or Utah (heavily Mormon areas). 
    • It's also cultural. In the south and in Utah, there is again, a marry ASAP and be barefoot & pregnant culture.
  • Those that are more educated DO marry later in life. Women who marry young usually do not have a college degree.
    • Thus it is not surprising to me that some have marry ASAP barefoot in braces with a cake and punch parking lot reception and some have fancy, ritzy glamorous weddings that rival Princess Kate's. If you are marrying at 20 vs 30, there will  most likely be a difference in the type of wedding you have. This is why I find it silly to poke fun at people's weddings. It's totally cultural and geographical! 
  • Marrying under 25 increases your divorce rate. Note my above post.

For the record, there are obvious exceptions and these are not typical. This is only what the studies have shown so please don't be offended. This is not oversimplifying a blatant fact. 

The Atlantic did an entire story on rural women who marry young. 
They found, "women outside cities tend to marry earlier, have limited access to good healthcare, and experience higher rates of domestic violence."

Marrying Young:  "According to a 2010 study "Early marriage in the U.S. Why Some Marry Young, Why Many Don't and What Difference It Makes," early marriage occurs most frequently among young adults with low educational trajectories, who come from families with more limited resources. These young adults typically come from rural communities and the Southern U.S.

Rural women are more likely to have sex and marry earlier than urban women according to studies.    Why is this? The less educated you are, the more likely you are to marry young. 53% of women with a high school diploma married by 25 years old compared with 37% of women with bachelor's degrees, according to the CDC. Rural women are less likely to have earned a bachelor's degree or master's degree compared to urban women, according to 2011 U.S. Health and Human Services statistics, priming them for early marriages."

The NY Times reported on something called The Small Town Effect when it comes to early marriage.  Basically, rural areas RULE when it comes to marrying young:

"Less densely populated places seem to promote marriage, The places that discourage marriage most tend to be cities, including San Francisco, Philadelphia and New Orleans, as well as their surrounding areas...spending childhood nearly anywhere in blue America — especially liberal bastions like New York, San Francisco, Chicago, Boston and Washington — makes people about 10 percentage points less likely to marry relative to the rest of the country. And no place encourages marriage quite like the conservative Mountain West, especially the heavily Mormon areas of Utah, southern Idaho and parts of Colorado."

Places that make being married by age 26 Less Likely & More Likely
"Utah is worth special attention. It’s not surprising that it leads the nation in encouraging marriage: The state is home to a large Mormon population, which is well known for marrying young. A childhood in Utah, makes marriage 20 percentage points more likely by age 26 than an average childhood in the United States.

By comparison, a childhood in Manhattan, on the other end of the spectrum, makes marriage only 12 percentage points less likely ...by comparison, the Northeast generally discourages marriage for children of all income levels, and the Mountain West encourages it for children of all levels."

Map of where you are more likely & less likely to be married by 26:
marriage2.JPG

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/05/15/upshot/the-places-that-discourage-marriage-most.html

As long as we're talking about what age everyone's getting married, here's a neat Pew Research graphic on median ages of first marriages: mARRIAGE 1.JPG

It is not surprising that the median ages of marriage are lowest (younger) in the south being Arkansas, Oklahoma, and a combo of the heavily Mormon areas  of Utah and Idaho.  It also does not surprise me that the areas of highest median age of marriage are career-oriented and abundantly educated cities of NY & DC.

The Atlantic http://www.theatlantic.com/sexes/archive/2013/06/the-particular-struggles-of-rural-women/276803/

NY Times http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/05/15/upshot/the-places-that-discourage-marriage-most.html

18 hours ago, QuiverDance said:

UMMMMM just here to point out that in that infographic map, the only SEC state indicated for young marriage is Arkansas, and ZERO deep south states are indicated.  Average age appears to be mid to late 20's, which comports with my own experience.  So, that flies in the face of the whole "THE SOUTH IS NOT EDUCATED AND IN A HURRY TO MARRY AND BE BAREFOOT AND PREGNANT" schtick.  If your perception is that Southerners are not educated, you've never been in the South, and you're buying into stereotypes.  There are uneducated people everywhere.  

Still don't get why the fuck it is not okay to insult ANYONE on this site except for Southerners.  It really burns my butter. 

QuiverDance show me where I insulted anyone. I have presented data and the facts. There's no reason to get personally offended over this.  The DATA shows that those in the south have a tendency to marry young. The DATA shows that those in the south that have young marriage rates usually do not have a bachelor's degree. Research has shown correlation between education, geographics, and marrying young. This is not something I made up but have rather simply posted the data on here.

18 hours ago, season of life said:

It's definitely not okay to insult people based on where they live, and I'm sure tons of people wait to get married, but maybe the age Southerners get hitched at seems super young compared to the age of other couples.

Season of life, my comment to you is the same as QuiverDance: show me where I insulted anyone. I have presented data and the facts. There's no reason to get personally offended over this. These are FACTS and DATA and NOT my own opinions. 

In fact, according to NCBI, yes, people that marry young tend to come from the south or rural areas and tend to not have a bachelor's degree, 

According to NCBI, education is a factor in that marry young tend to come from a disadvantaged economic background and not have a bachelor's degree.

•  "Individuals who marry earlier are more likely to be from disadvantaged families, from conservative Protestant or Mormon families, to value their religious faith more highly, to have a high-school diploma but a lower educational trajectory, and to cohabit before marriage."
  • "Young adults who have earned a high school diploma will be more likely to marry early, but those with a higher GPA and college aspirations will be less likely to marry early."
  • Young adults with more educated parents and from families with higher incomes will be less likely to marry early.
  • Parental socioeconomic status was also an important factor for marrying young in the United States. Only about 16% of young women with a college-educated parent and just about 10% of young men married prior to age 23, compared to 29% and 19% of young women and men, respectively, with no college-educated parent. 

Also according to NCBI, geographic location is a factor in that those that marry young tend to come from the south or nonmetroplitan, rural areas.

• "Moreover, geographic location has also been found to be associated with early marriage. Individuals who live in the southern United States are more likely to marry at young ages, as are people living in nonmetropolitan areas
  •   Young adults who live in the South and in rural areas will be more likely than their counterparts to marry early .(Bramlett & Mosher, 2002; Goldscheider & Waite; McLaughlin, Lichter, & Johnson, 1993)."
  • As the geography hypothesis predicted, early marriage was more common for those who grew up in the South and in rural areas. More than 30% of all women who lived in the South during adolescence married before their 23rd birthday, as did about 37% of those living in rural areas. Young men from the South also had higher rates of early marriage, though rural men were not statistically more or less likely to marry early than their counterparts. Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2841346/

Can you show me where I'm wrong? These are the facts.

@luv2laugh, my only complaint is that "data" is plural so it should be "the data show...". ;)

interesting statistics! I seem to be the total opposite, but that doesn't change the population as a whole. 

@luv2laughI haven't seen you say anything insulting. But I do understand why someone may be a bit vigilant about comments regarding the South. There have been times when the Southern U.S. has been reduced to a bunch of stereotypes on here in a way that other areas really haven't. I'd probably be a bit vigilant about this sort discussion too. 

@QuiverDanceWas there a specific comment that upset you? I'd like to understand a bit better what may have upset you (or anyone else.) It could be helpful for those of us who aren't from the South so we have a better idea of what comments may be seriously out of line.

I have not lived in the south per say, yet I married the second woman I had sex with at 22, and I have to admit it was probably the fact that she was an older woman with two kids already. I have a feeling that I was VERY immature at the time...well I know I was. It was evident early on that we were not to be, however we did have two beautiful daughters and five grand kids. Moving on I had two more wives and two more daughters with three more grand kids. My daughters were all born before I was 30, so what I'm getting at is that it isn't all about the South. I'm a living breathing example that life can be crazy wherever you live, and the best thing to do is always be there for your kids.

I am (obviously) not from the South, but I can easily see how the "barefoot and pregnant" comment can be taken as an insult. As a sociologist, I am well aware that people in the South, people wo are more religious, and people who are less educated are more likely to marry young. There is no arguing with these facts, whether or not your (general "you") personal experience lines up with this. But I don't think the "barefoot and pregnant" comment (which was made repeatedly) was necessary at all.

I hadn't been bothered by anything, but I saw QuiverDance's reaction and wanted to put out that nobody said it was okay to insult anybody based on where they lived, but it could be noted how young Southerners come off when some people marry at older ages. My response didn't mention any specific people, it was just general. :my_shy:

13 hours ago, luv2laugh said:

Can you show me where I'm wrong? These are the facts.

I think you can let the facts speak for themselves without any extrapolations like this: 

" In the south and in Utah, there is a barefoot and pregnant, marry ASAP culture."

What does that even mean?  Yeah. It's an insult. Own it. 

It also does not line up with the data you posted. Unless "the South" is Oklahoma and Arkansas. Which it isn't. 

ETA: I am sorry I went off I  response to your particular post because it was probably one of the less offensive instances of shade throwing at the South I've seen on FJ.  And I apologize.

I can't think of any specific other instances off the top of my head. It's just something I've noticed since I started posting.  

1 hour ago, QuiverDance said:

I think you can let the facts speak for themselves without any extrapolations like this: 

" In the south and in Utah, there is a barefoot and pregnant, marry ASAP culture."

What does that even mean?  Yeah. It's an insult. Own it. 

Excuse me? Don't tell me what to do. That is an example of an opinion of mine that I included and I have a right to my own opinion. People in the south and other rural areas in my opinion, yes, marry ASAP with the intention to get pregnant many times. Also, AR is part of the Bible belt. I believe the south the studies are referring to are mostly those in the bible belt. If you look at the maps again, you will see that people in the Bible Belt south marry young in addition to other rural areas. If you are offended by my own opinion which was not directed at you in the first place, then I believe it's possible you are being convicted and need to not be so sensitive.

Thank you for apologizing. Indeed, all I did was lay out all of the facts and included my own opinion that these areas have a culture of marrying ASAP with the intention of getting barefoot and pregnant. This is my own opinion based on the facts and what I have noticed about people that live in those areas in regard to what they embrace and consider most important to them. These areas have a predominant culture in my own opinion, of frowning upon women who are 26 & not married and pursuing higher education and/or are career oriented. This occurs because the norm is to be married under 24 in these areas and have many babies by 30. If you do not fit into this box, you will stick out like a sore thumb.

For an example, in the northeast, there is a predominant WASP culture (White, Anglo-Saxon, Protestants that are typically highly educated from an Ivy league school , very preppy, and have old money).  If you do not fit in the box of the WASP culture in the northeast, you tend to stick out. It's the exact opposite in the south (specifically, the bible belt), rural areas, and heavily Mormon influenced states but has the same psychological reasoning.

For the reference, I'm actually in my early 20s, living in a metropolitan area, and am not married but am in a long term relationship. I personally know many fundies and people living in other areas of the county.

Oh boy, indeed.

So how about Jinger and Jeremy? Anyone think she'll pull an Alyssa and start wearing pants right after the wedding? Any bets on what pressure Jim Bob will apply to keep them in Arkansas? Anyone think they'll continue the J names? Jasmine, Julianna, Julian, and Jesamyn are still available.

10 minutes ago, Arix said:

Oh boy, indeed.

So how about Jinger and Jeremy? Anyone think she'll pull an Alyssa and start wearing pants right after the wedding? Any bets on what pressure Jim Bob will apply to keep them in Arkansas? Anyone think they'll continue the J names? Jasmine, Julianna, Julian, and Jesamyn are still available.

haha I hope she does :smile: Although, I don't think JB and Michelle will be as okay with it as the Bates are. And I suspect monthly visits from family members if they live in Texas

Personally, I hope they go with Italian names. I have a fondness for those. imo Julianna Vuolo sounds beautiful. As long as they don't use Alessandra (I'm saving that for my future child)

Julianna Vuolo does sound quite nice, and it's a full name that has several possible nicknames (Jules, Julie, Julia, Anna).

Yeah, Ma and PA Duggar would have a cow over Jinger V. in pants.

1 hour ago, luv2laugh said:

Excuse me? Don't tell me what to do. That is an example of an opinion of mine that I included and I have a right to my own opinion. People in the south and other rural areas in my opinion, yes, marry ASAP with the intention to get pregnant many times. Also, AR is part of the Bible belt. I believe the south the studies are referring to are mostly those in the bible belt. If you look at the maps again, you will see that people in the Bible Belt south marry young in addition to other rural areas. If you are offended by my own opinion which was not directed at you in the first place, then I believe it's possible you are being convicted and need to not be so sensitive.

Thank you for apologizing. Indeed, all I did was lay out all of the facts and included my own opinion that these areas have a culture of marrying ASAP with the intention of getting barefoot and pregnant. This is my own opinion based on the facts and what I have noticed about people that live in those areas in regard to what they embrace and consider most important to them. These areas have a predominant culture in my own opinion, of frowning upon women who are 26 & not married and pursuing higher education and/or are career oriented. This occurs because the norm is to be married under 24 in these areas and have many babies by 30. If you do not fit into this box, you will stick out like a sore thumb.

For an example, in the northeast, there is a predominant WASP culture (White, Anglo-Saxon, Protestants that are typically highly educated from an Ivy league school , very preppy, and have old money).  If you do not fit in the box of the WASP culture in the northeast, you tend to stick out. It's the exact opposite in the south (specifically, the bible belt), rural areas, and heavily Mormon influenced states but has the same psychological reasoning.

For the reference, I'm actually in my early 20s, living in a metropolitan area, and am not married but am in a long term relationship. I personally know many fundies and people living in other areas of the county.

Lifelong New Englander here. That's actually not really true for many areas up here. Yeah, many people may fall into those categories - but we tend to be more of a "live and let live" group of people. It's really not a big deal if someone isn't Ivy League educated, Protestant, rich, preppy, or Anglo-Saxon. And you really don't stick out too much if you don't fall into those categories - maybe in heavily rural areas you would because there isn't as much diversity, but not in the suburbs or cities where most people are concentrated.

@QuiverDance I missed the barefoot and pregnant reference, but I do see why that would be upsetting. It doesn't really matter if it's true or not - it is a stereotype and it's likely that many Southerners do not fall into that category anymore.  Just like many in the Northeast aren't from old money or preppy or Ivy League educated. Thank you for your response - I'll keep that in mind for future posts.

38 minutes ago, Arix said:

Oh boy, indeed.

I don't see any of the J kids continuing the J theme to be honest. They may go with other themes - like another letter or Biblical names or something - but I doubt we'll see another generation filled with J names. As for Italian names, it's been my experience that many Italian Americans still shy away from very Italian sounding names. I floated the idea to my husband (who is second generation American on his dad's side) and he shot it down real quick. 

Jeremy and Jinger could feel completely different though. The right Italian first names would sound really lovely with his last name. And now I'm secretly hoping for a little Marco Vuolo to pop up in the future, just because it would sound similar to Marco Polo and I would find that hysterical. :pb_lol:

I'm not sure whether Jinger will wear pants or not. I think a lot depends on Jeremy and what type of husband he will be. If he's ok with it then it could happen... but even then, Jinger may just feel more comfortable in skirts and dresses and prefer to stick with that. If that's the case then I think that's fine. I get the feeling sometimes that Ben and Derick aren't really convicted about the whole strict skirt thing, but let their wives make the call for themselves. I could be wrong about that of course though. 

Not only would I love to see Jinger wear pants, just because, but I would also like to hear about her developing a taste for bacon. Genuine ebil pig meat bacon!

Marco Vuolo for the win, VelociRapture!

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived