IGNORED

Jinger and the Jock- I only wanna be with you!

samurai_sarah

I think Arabella might sound "too ethnic" for Jinger.

Arabella's a British name. Why would that sound "too ethnic" to an American? We all speak the same language, after all.

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Grits with butter, salt and cheese. I make it at least once a week, and I, too, live in Nevada but in the cold North.

4 hours ago, actuallyjessica said:

My bet has always been on Arabella Vuolo.

Or Pumpkyn Vuolo... to match Mommy's orange-themed creative~ name, and her love of fall and PSL.

Americano Vuolo... lol

If America Ferrera's parents can get away with it... Jinger can ^.^

I actually want details on Jinger's wedding because I want to see if she did anything different and whether they served full blown meals or snack foods. And I cannot wait to hear their future child's name. If it beats Spurgeon Seewald, I will cry.

1 hour ago, season of life said:

I actually want details on Jinger's wedding because I want to see if she did anything different and whether they served full blown meals or snack foods. And I cannot wait to hear their future child's name. If it beats Spurgeon Seewald, I will cry.

Is that even possible?

2 minutes ago, Gillyweed said:

Is that even possible?

It is always possible. Every time I hear a horrid name, there's another that tops it. And so on and so on.

14 hours ago, Percy said:

Queensland is in the north of Australia, so we have a conservative north not a conservative south.

It's that damn equator, hehe.

12 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

Exactly. It's an incredibly diverse area and I'd be more surprised if it were as homogenous as the poster seemed to imply - I mean, the Northeast stretches from Pennsylvania all the way up to Maine and includes New York City! That's a massive area that's densely populated with a ton of different people from all walks of life.

If the poster had said, "Fairfield County" or "Greenwich, Connecticut" is filled with preppy and rich people then I could probably see the argument being made to a certain extent. But the entire Northeast? Nope.

Yeah, denifitely not from a WASPy New England area. More like one of the most quirky liberal areas of VT, populated mostly by hippies grudgingly grew up, and started running organic farms, raising vegan hens, and producing small-batch artisan hemp pants. I also lived in the northeast kingdom, where there was a great deal of generational poverty, lack of education, and evidently a wicked heroin ring. 

@VelociRapture (my quotes aren't working but re: GoT) If we're going down the entertainment theme for names, we should just go Borg collective.

Josh and Anna's would be 1, 2, 3, 4 of 1

Jill and Derrick's 1 of 4

Jessa and Ben's 1 of 5

Jinger and Jer's 1 of 6 etc

It could actually be very helpful in figuring out who's who, but the outfits would be very defrauding.

11 hours ago, feministxtian said:

I get VERY defensive when people who do not know "the south" talk shit. Look...we may not be the brightest bulbs in the lamp (according to the rest of the country) we eat weird shit (grits), we talk slow and funny...BUT...here's the thing. I get to say that...because that's my home. When the south is characterized that way, it seems that most folks forget early US History...Jamestown? Williamsburg? Yorktown? The College of William and Mary? The University of Virginia? In my neck of the woods, you can't swing a cat without hitting some historical sight or another. Don't forget that when you talk smack at the south. 

Other highlights of my hometown (and environs):

Sole supplier and refueler of Aircraft Carriers

Jefferson Labs

NASA Langley Research Center - the home of the space program.

Cripes, the main east/west road in Hampton/Newport News is Mercury Blvd.

Commander Shepherd Blvd leads to NASA Langley 

The Virginia Air and Space Museum

Need I say more? 

I was just offended that Arkansas and Oklahoma were being classified as The South.  Lmao.  

Seriously, I didn't mean to create such a shitstorm.   I do also get bugged when my entire region is characterized as ass backward, tho.  It's not.  The perception is NOT the reality.  

8 hours ago, alba said:

Arabella's a British name. Why would that sound "too ethnic" to an American? We all speak the same language, after all.

We're talking about the daughter of Jim Bob 'Hola' Duggar, remember? I'm pretty sure any name that contains 'Arab' (no matter where the name actually came from) is off the table because of how they feel about Muslims.

2 minutes ago, QuiverDance said:

I was just offended that Arkansas and Oklahoma were being classified as The South.  Lmao.  

Seriously, I didn't mean to create such a shitstorm.   I do also get bugged when my entire region is characterized as ass backward, tho.  It's not.  The perception is NOT the reality.  

Stupid question but if OK & AR aren't the south what are they?  BTW I was born in OK and lived in AR while my dad finished college at UofA, my dad's family is from AR.  I've lived in Iowa since I was 4 and I've always considered AR to be part of the south. 

I was being facetious.  Arkansas is a southern state.  Oklahoma is a mix of several regions, really.  SW, South, Midwest... Depends who you ask, I bet.  

1 minute ago, QuiverDance said:

I was being facetious.  Arkansas is a southern state.  Oklahoma is a mix of several regions, really.  SW, South, Midwest... Depends who you ask, I bet.  

I've only heard of Oklahoma grouped into the Southwest or Midwest, interesting. But yeah Arkansas is definitely the South (though not always the Deep South). As you said, it definitely depends on who you're talking to! 

9 minutes ago, QuiverDance said:

AH, I TRY not to stereo type regions. I'm in Iowa and we get told we are backwoods hicks all the time.  I actually had a couple stop me IN DC to ask for direction on the Metro, I gave it too them and we got on the same train and they were talking about being from LA and it was cool having mass transit and all and blah blah blah.  I told them I was from Iowa and they were STUNNED. They actually said "you don't LOOK like you are from Iowa" I asked what that was supposed to look like, they said "farmers, you know overalls, smelly, not very smart"  I snarkly said "You'd be surprised, we have schools, and indoor plumbing and everything.  Then pointed out that we have the highest  ACT scores in the country (we did at the time) we have some o f the best schools in the nation and we are much more politically savvy than most of the rest of the country. It was in interesting train ride. 

16 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

AH, I TRY not to stereo type regions. I'm in Iowa and we get told we are backwoods hicks all the time.  I actually had a couple stop me IN DC to ask for direction on the Metro, I gave it too them and we got on the same train and they were talking about being from LA and it was cool having mass transit and all and blah blah blah.  I told them I was from Iowa and they were STUNNED. They actually said "you don't LOOK like you are from Iowa" I asked what that was supposed to look like, they said "farmers, you know overalls, smelly, not very smart"  I snarkly said "You'd be surprised, we have schools, and indoor plumbing and everything.  Then pointed out that we have the highest  ACT scores in the country (we did at the time) we have some o f the best schools in the nation and we are much more politically savvy than most of the rest of the country. It was in interesting train ride. 

OMG.  People are idiots.  I've had people ask me if I took a boat to school when I was a child.  LOL.  

From my perspective, almost everyone is in "the south." Even Vancouver. ;-)

11 hours ago, Kittikatz said:

anges?

11 hours ago, Kittikatz said:

What I think may be interesting if Jinger slips the leash and starts drifting towards a more sane (or sane looking) brand of Christianity is what Jessa's reaction to the Texas drift will be. Will she join in and try to look more mainstream, ignore it all, or make 'bless your heart' type comments at the changes?

Hey, new member first time poster. Sorry if I do this wrong or if it was previously mentioned, but what I want to know is if Jessa is behind this whole Vuelo marriage with the intention of Jeremy being "so grateful" that he offers Bin a job as an associate pastor in Laredo therefore giving Jessa a free ride out of Daddy Jimbob's rented house and a 1 way ticket to freedom...er I mean Texas. If this happens then can she and Jinger have their own show on TLC? Are the two secretly scheming of escaping in their own way given they have limited resources to work with?

27 minutes ago, HomeschooledHeartThrob said:

Hey, new member first time poster. Sorry if I do this wrong or if it was previously mentioned, but what I want to know is if Jessa is behind this whole Vuelo marriage with the intention of Jeremy being "so grateful" that he offers Bin a job as an associate pastor in Laredo therefore giving Jessa a free ride out of Daddy Jimbob's rented house and a 1 way ticket to freedom...er I mean Texas. If this happens then can she and Jinger have their own show on TLC? Are the two secretly scheming of escaping in their own way given they have limited resources to work with?

Welcome!

Posters have been wondering about that for a bit. We don't have any concrete evidence or anything though. Personally, I'm not really sure. I can see the argument - but I could also see Jessa setting them up purely because she thought they'd get along well too. I don't think Jessa is so cold hearted or manipulative as to set up her beloved sister with any random guy just to get what she wants.

2 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Stupid question but if OK & AR aren't the south what are they?  BTW I was born in OK and lived in AR while my dad finished college at UofA, my dad's family is from AR.  I've lived in Iowa since I was 4 and I've always considered AR to be part of the south. 

I think a big part of this kerfuffle was possibly different definitions of "South"? To me, OK and TX are most definitely NOT part of the South. They're culturally pretty different than the Eastern (think original colonies) part of the South, though they're so big there are variations of course. South Florida is a land to itself also, of course. And if you look at that one map with the orange and purple colors, most of what I consider "traditional deep South" - the Carolinas, Georgia, etc. - looks just like the non-big-city Northeast and West Coast. Mostly middle of the road, dark orange in the cities, a few dots of darker purple in the most rural fringes. It's the Southern states that are more toward the center of the country that are all purple, there. I'm near Charlotte, and young weddings are pretty rare and also considered a bit iffy.

I can't wait to hear what Jessa and Ben name their new spawn. And as much as I hope Jinger and Jeremy kind of go their own way and lighten up a bit, I'm interested to see how they end up naming their kids, too. I secretly hope Jinger will take the opportunity to correct the horrific spelling of her name when she adds his last name, but I kind of think she'd be afraid to do it.

There's going to be a "Selah" born soon at my (not fundie) church. It made me think of Jill...

3 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Welcome!

Posters have been wondering about that for a bit. We don't have any concrete evidence or anything though. Personally, I'm not really sure. I can see the argument - but I could also see Jessa setting them up purely because she thought they'd get along well too. I don't think Jessa is so cold hearted or manipulative as to set up her beloved sister with any random guy just to get what she wants.

I agree with your point that she wouldn't push Jinger off on just anybody but I don't doubt she'll try to capitalize on Jinger's Texas migration. If we are right, Bin better ditch the flat caps and Christian hip hop and find a cowboy hat and banjo.

I don't think Jeremy's small church would be able to support another pastor. Bin would need to get a job, and that would interfere with his Moody Bible school studies. Bin does have an AA degree, so their is hope that the little Seewalds will get more than SOTDRT.

I hate auto correct. Should be there, but Kindle doesn't let me edit.

36 minutes ago, Alisamer said:

I think a big part of this kerfuffle was possibly different definitions of "South"? To me, OK and TX are most definitely NOT part of the South. They're culturally pretty different than the Eastern (think original colonies) part of the South, though they're so big there are variations of course. South Florida is a land to itself also, of course. And if you look at that one map with the orange and purple colors, most of what I consider "traditional deep South" - the Carolinas, Georgia, etc. - looks just like the non-big-city Northeast and West Coast. Mostly middle of the road, dark orange in the cities, a few dots of darker purple in the most rural fringes. It's the Southern states that are more toward the center of the country that are all purple, there. I'm near Charlotte, and young weddings are pretty rare and also considered a bit iffy.

Thank you for articulating this better than I did.  YES.  That is exactly what I wanted to point out.  

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived