IGNORED

Brooklyn Elise Countdown Is Over - She's Here!

JMO

My mum didn't want me to get my ears pierced until I was at least 13.  My parents divorced when I was 8.  My dad took me out when I was 9 and got my ears pierced because I wanted them done for Xmas and mum had said no (which he knew), and presented me to my mother as a fait accompli.  And that's just one of the many, many reasons they should definitely have been divorced, and actually never married in the first place!

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got mine done at 13, and then got the ever popular second hole in one ear done at 16. That second hole closed up years ago. I can't even remember where it was.

One of my high school friends wanted pierced ears, but her parents wouldn't let her, so one night she had me do them for her using ice cubes, a black marker, and one of my earrings to poke the hole. Good judgment was not a hallmark of my high school experience. Luckily nothing happened by way of infection!

I was 11, I think. My parents didn't believe in babies and small children getting their ears pierced. It wasn't a religious thin. It was being mature enough to take care of my piercings.

My daughter is nine and wants to have hers pierced, but she's afraid.  I have told her I am ok with it as long as she cares for her piercings, but if she's not going to push for it, I'm certainly not going to. 

Usually girls get their ears pierced just before 1st Communion. My first earrings was given by my Grandma, sadly I lost them many years ago. All my (female of course) cousins received the same earrings sets for her. Nice memory.

It's always funny to me to hear the 'old enough to be responsible' argument with getting ears pierced. It's cultural on my dad's side to pierce early, and my mom agree to it because she would be the one responsible for cleaning and taking care of them.

I think she was also partly motivated because I'm an only child and she has quite the earring collection for someone to inherit :) Never had an infection in 24 years.

I think I got my first earrings in second or third grade and had tons of problems with infections.  I let the piercings close and got them redone at about 12 years old and had no problems after that until I reached adulthood and started developing sensitivities to cheaper metals.  I have to wear gold or sterling posts or my piercings get irritated.  

On 11/1/2016 at 10:08 AM, Palimpsest said:

Edit because @Karma already asked

One has to ask:  what color is your hair during the 12th month?

I was really hoping @paulypepper said purple!

I have done purple also! :) I think for Christmas I should do a montage for everybody...which thread would be the best to post at?

On 11/1/2016 at 10:08 AM, Palimpsest said:

@Karma already asked

One has to ask:  what color is your hair during the 12th month?

I was really hoping @paulypepper said purple!

My mom had my ears pierced at May Company when I was 2 years-old. I am so happy she did because I love earrings but the idea of the piercing freaks me out. My earring collection as a teenager was awesome. If I ever have a daughter I will do it early as well. 

6 hours ago, socalrules said:

My mom had my ears pierced at May Company when I was 2 years-old. I am so happy she did because I love earrings but the idea of the piercing freaks me out. My earring collection as a teenager was awesome. If I ever have a daughter I will do it early as well. 

I had my first holes done at 7, second holes at 12. No serious issues, except the left side sometimes gets a little itchy and goopy for a day when I wear junky earrings. I had my older daughter's done as a baby and she got second holes at 14. It made it easier for me to just take care of them myself. Since she grew up with them, they seemed normal to her and she never messed with them. I had second thoughts about doing younger dsughter's as a baby, but big sister (much older)  was adamant that I should. She was SO happy I had done hers as a baby and she wanted the same for sister. I struggled with it quite a bit, but in the end I did it, and now I'm glad that I did 

@paulypepper woo hoo, thank you for granting our wish!  Post it anywhere you like, but please tag me so I don't miss it!  I think last year there was a thread, maybe in aytfj, where we put up photos of our Christmas trees.  If we have another one of them, seasonally decorative hair would fit in well :) .

ETA  yes, the thread was in AYTFJ.  Sorry I don't know how to link it here.  It was cool actually, because we heard about different Christmas traditions from members around the world.  

Kind of off topic, but pre-Brooklyn's birth, I'd sent Erin a short note thanking her for sharing her struggle with miscarriage (a close friend was going through a similar situation and it helped me to understand and comfort her better), and just now I received the sweetest note from Erin, plus a copy of her most recent CD - my original note was quite short and I definitely didn't request a response, plus postage to the UK is quite expensive. No mentions of preaching or anything in her note either. 

Anyway just thought that was a nice little story about Erin to share :)

20 hours ago, QuiverDance said:

I think I got my first earrings in second or third grade and had tons of problems with infections.  I let the piercings close and got them redone at about 12 years old and had no problems after that until I reached adulthood and started developing sensitivities to cheaper metals.  I have to wear gold or sterling posts or my piercings get irritated.  

Got my ears pierced at 21 when my sister went to get hers done at 19.   Parents would not do ear piercing, don't know why.  Told us once we were 18 we could go ourselves and do it.   Luckily none of us decided to take matters into our own hands unlike some of our friends who did. 

Did fine with cheaper metal posts for six months, then they started to get irritated.  I was about to let them close when I found that when I wore the one pair with gold posts, it subsided.  Still works though I hate it when I find a really cool pair and they aren't the type of posts I can wear.

Got my ears pierced at 7 at "Piercing Pagoda" in the mall. Irritated/allergic reaction and closed. Grandma took me to a jeweler at 9 and got them pierced again with pure platinum. Just the turning of the earrings to clean made me scream in pain. SEVERE (lol I sound like JRod) allergic reaction that ended in the pediatrician's office with a scalpel to the back of my ear from the abcess-like infection and allergic reaction that happened. Turns out my body hates all invaders, no matter what they're made of. 

20 years later, you can feel all the scar tissue in my ear lobes, I'm allergic to everything and my sister and cousin both forced me to wear clip ons in their bridal party. Those things HURT. torture. 

I had a "freckle" tattooed on me before going all out to make sure I didn't reject the ink. 

4 hours ago, Casserole said:

Got my ears pierced at 7 at "Piercing Pagoda" in the mall. Irritated/allergic reaction and closed. Grandma took me to a jeweler at 9 and got them pierced again with pure platinum. Just the turning of the earrings to clean made me scream in pain. SEVERE (lol I sound like JRod) allergic reaction that ended in the pediatrician's office with a scalpel to the back of my ear from the abcess-like infection and allergic reaction that happened. Turns out my body hates all invaders, no matter what they're made of. 

20 years later, you can feel all the scar tissue in my ear lobes, I'm allergic to everything and my sister and cousin both forced me to wear clip ons in their bridal party. Those things HURT. torture. 

I had a "freckle" tattooed on me before going all out to make sure I didn't reject the ink. 

If for some reason you have to wear clip-ons again, try gluing felt or another soft cloth to the parts that touch your skin. There are also special clear polishes you can paint the metal with.

7 hours ago, 16strong said:

If for some reason you have to wear clip-ons again, try gluing felt or another soft cloth to the parts that touch your skin. There are also special clear polishes you can paint the metal with.

Thanks! If it's up to me, I never will again! For my cousin's wedding one of her bridesmaid gifts was earrings to wear to the wedding so she got me them and then a clip on converter kit that the real earring screwed into... literally a torture device for ears. 

Not to mention, since I've never really had earrings beyond a few weeks, I think I look crazy with earrings in. Doesn't fit my look. Though, you should see the gasps and eyebrow raises I get when I say my ears aren't pierced. Like I am not allowed to pass into womanhood without creating holes in my body parts. Weird. 

I've got three pierced holes in each ear. The earring in my right ear in first set (which was done many moons ago as a freshman in high school) had the backing too tightly on it (after it'd been pierced); it got infected & hurt like hell, so I had to have my aunt help me loosen it up some. All was well after it'd been cleaned.

And with brides making you wear earrings if you have issues with doing so? That's just selfish & wrong on their end. (But I've never been a bride & am 99.9% sure that won't happen, so what do I know.) 

Finally got around to watching Brooklyn's birth episode. Maybe I wasn't paying attention before, but did anyone else think Chad had much more of a personality than shown previously? He seemed a lot more, idk, lively I guess. 

On 11/3/2016 at 11:24 AM, RhythmicSkater said:

Kind of off topic, but pre-Brooklyn's birth, I'd sent Erin a short note thanking her for sharing her struggle with miscarriage (a close friend was going through a similar situation and it helped me to understand and comfort her better), and just now I received the sweetest note from Erin, plus a copy of her most recent CD - my original note was quite short and I definitely didn't request a response, plus postage to the UK is quite expensive. No mentions of preaching or anything in her note either. 

Anyway just thought that was a nice little story about Erin to share :)

That's really sweet of her. How was the CD? 

3 hours ago, LadyCrow1313 said:

I've got three pierced holes in each ear. The earring in my right ear in first set (which was done many moons ago as a freshman in high school) had the backing too tightly on it (after it'd been pierced); it got infected & hurt like hell, so I had to have my aunt help me loosen it up some. All was well after it'd been cleaned.

And with brides making you wear earrings if you have issues with doing so? That's just selfish & wrong on their end. (But I've never been a bride & am 99.9% sure that won't happen, so what do I know.) 

There are Brides out there who do all sorts of questionable things to their Bridal party. I like to think most people stay reasonable while planning a wedding. But it's people who act like assholes who convinced me to be as laid back as possible when it was my turn.

I literally only chose the color and fabric of their dresses and that was it - they got to choose the length, what style they each wanted to wear, they choose their own shoes and accessories, and I paid for their beauty services day of (they got to chose their hairstyles and makeup.) They both looked gorgeous and looked so happy and confident in our photos. 

Compare that to a former friend (who was one of my Brodesmaids fore we had a falling out this summer) who had all of us wear the same kind of pricey dress and dictated how she wanted our hair and makeup done (and we had to pay for the services ourselves.)  Which was annoying since I felt more like a doll she was playing dress up with than a person. But the real issue I have with her is how she made nasty comments to me about how I looked way better in the dress than the others (especially one woman she had a falling out with after the wedding - she liked referring to her as looking like an Ogre when we watched their wedding video or looked at photos.)

There are Brides out there who do all sorts of questionable things to their Bridal party. I like to think most people stay reasonable while planning a wedding. But it's people who act like assholes who convinced me to be as laid back as possible when it was my turn.
I literally only chose the color and fabric of their dresses and that was it - they got to choose the length, what style they each wanted to wear, they choose their own shoes and accessories, and I paid for their beauty services day of (they got to chose their hairstyles and makeup.) They both looked gorgeous and looked so happy and confident in our photos. 
Compare that to a former friend (who was one of my Brodesmaids fore we had a falling out this summer) who had all of us wear the same kind of pricey dress and dictated how she wanted our hair and makeup done (and we had to pay for the services ourselves.)  Which was annoying since I felt more like a doll she was playing dress up with than a person. But the real issue I have with her is how she made nasty comments to me about how I looked way better in the dress than the others (especially one woman she had a falling out with after the wedding - she liked referring to her as looking like an Ogre when we watched their wedding video or looked at photos.)

I am SO surprised you're not friends anymore #sarcasm

3 hours ago, llg1234 said:

Finally got around to watching Brooklyn's birth episode. Maybe I wasn't paying attention before, but did anyone else think Chad had much more of a personality than shown previously? He seemed a lot more, idk, lively I guess. 

He's getting used to the camera so he's probably more natural or confident than he was at the beginning.

7 hours ago, Mela99 said:

That's really sweet of her. How was the CD? 

I'm actually really enjoying it! It's the lullaby CD, but I've been using it to study to. It's really calming and Erin's playing is gorgeous. 

• 1 month later...
  • choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived