IGNORED

Sister Wives: 4 Wives, 4 Threads - It's Karma!

She pretty much had self-announced on social media.  I'm surprised the show actually made an announcement though.

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm happy for her, that couldn't have been easy to do and I'm glad she knows how to express herself.

I don't follow any of them so was completely clueless. 

That took true courage on Mariah's part.

1 minute ago, ChickenettiLuvr said:

And now we'll see how the Brown family faith actually plays out in real life. For Mariah's sake, I pray they love & accept Mariah and any potential partner. 

Thank you for finding the perfect words I was "struggling"  to post.  What matters is Mariah.  Yes Kody and Meri I'm outright saying this is not about you.  

That was my guess but I didn't want to say it in case I was totally off base. I sure hope the Brown family practices what they preach about accepting others- the whole live and let live. 

I see Janelle processing it better than the others, to be honest. She has a larger world view.  Just IMHO. 

I'm recalling  (I think) previous discussion here on FJ regarding the Brown family's response to this scenario. Anybody else remember this better than I?

4 minutes ago, ChickenettiLuvr said:

I see Janelle processing it better than the others, to be honest. She has a larger world view.  Just IMHO. 

I'm recalling  (I think) previous discussion here on FJ regarding the Brown family's response to this scenario. Anybody else remember this better than I?

I agree, Janelle seems to be the most open to new things. She strikes me as the one who'll be a fun grandma. 

Mariah is gay! So glad she told them, and I hope she is determined to be herself and live her life. Good for her! Go Mariah.

At least this announcement lived up to the hype. And Meri and Kdouche need to be more affectionate, at least, as a start.

The adults were asked about having a gay child on a talking head, and said they would be accepting. We'll see. Kdouche had a WTF look on his face.

I think they will be good with this. I haven't seen any form of hatred in these people. 

I didn't know she had announced on social media. 

I think they were really afraid of 7,000 flower petals. 

Have they ever talked about their beliefs regarding LGBTQQ persons?  I did see that in a teaser for the next show, Meri said that she was "struggling" or "had questions" or something to the effect, and didn't seem very supportive, IMO, but hard to tell from a short clip. 

I wish Mariah all the love and happiness in the world, hope her family does as well. 

8 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

Mariah is gay! So glad she told them, and I hope she is determined to be herself and live her life. Good for her! Go Mariah.

At least this announcement lived up to the hype. And Meri and Kdouche need to be more affectionate, at least, as a start.

The adults were asked about having a gay child on a talking head, and said they would be accepting. We'll see. Kdouche had a WTF look on his face.

I think I was typing at the same time, and questioning if anyone knew the family's position.   I'm glad they said they would be accepting, so hopefully it's true. 

Really proud of Mariah for coming out! I truly hope everyone is supportive of her.

From the little random bit that I remember regarding the family & LGBT+ issues, it has to do with Christine. She was telling a story about how one of her daughters once came up to her and asked her "What would you say if I was gay and wanted to bring a girlfriend home?" (something to that effect) and Christine said she would be completely supportive, and then quipped that she would just make sure said daughter would leave her bedroom door open then if the girlfriend was over. I really hope they all stick to their word(s).

So, the 8pm episode today is three hours, but the repeat at like, midnight, is only two hours. Does anyone know what's going to be missing? Because the descriptions are the same.

I think the wives have been asked on a few occasions, and all have said that they would be ok with it.  I think Janelle and Robyn said that statistically it was likely they would have an lgbt child or two and that they feel they would be supportive.  I think Robyn said the only reason she would feel sad or upset is for the extra stress and trouble that child would have to deal with through life.  I think Christine also said she would be supportive when Mykelti asked what would happen if she had a girlfriend in high school. 

I haven't seen the episode yet but even if they were completely supportive at first, I'm pretty sure at least all the moms will be supportive.  They may just be shocked and completely blindsided, especially since Mariah always seemed more religious than the rest of the kids.  Kody may actually have a harder time, but in my experience men seem to have more rigid views of sexuality than women and have a harder time accepting it.  I'm sure he just needs time to process, which is completely normal, especially given how conservative his upbringing was.  Remember, Kody was brought up in the mainstream LDS church, which has a horrendous track record with the lgbt community.  If he is still not comfortable with her next season, then maybe there is an issue, but it's unfair to say that his initial reaction means he will always seem less supportive.  Many parents just need some time to process and come around fairly quickly. 

I think Meri and Kody will be by far the least accepting. I think the others will be great. 

I'm proud of Mariah! It's exactly what I expected, but I didn't want to speculate. This adds another layer to the catfish situation, too. When Meri was catfished by the woman, there were tons of reports of the incidents using homophobic slurs and attempts to make it sound extra salacious like people do with gay relationships ('lesbian lover' etc). Meri has always seemed low-key homophobic to me and I'm sure the fact that it was a woman embarrassed her more than if it had been a man. That must have been really hard at a time when Mariah was thinking of coming out...

I feel for Mariah, people are being absolutely vicious to her on the Sister Wives Facebook page.  I wasn't totally surprised and I hope ger family is supporting her.  Janelle tweeted that they loved her after the show

52 minutes ago, Nashville92 said:

I feel for Mariah, people are being absolutely vicious to her on the Sister Wives Facebook page.  I wasn't totally surprised and I hope ger family is supporting her.  Janelle tweeted that they loved her after the show

I've been reading those too, they are truly demoralizing.

I thought about it last night and realized that this was filmed at least a few weeks ago, or something. I will have to go to the Facebook page and post something suppportive. 

Whoever said they were blindsided hit the nail on the head. That was my impression too. 

But I kind of wonder if any of them already knew and were acting. Who knows. 

God bless Mariah.  Just God bless her.  What a lot of strength and fortitude that must have taken.  She's stronger than I ever could have been at that age if faced with that same situation.

I also went on the Sister Wives Facebook page to see what people said. Damn yo. People can be so heartless. I can't imagine having to deal with all the publicity and negativity just because of who you love. This makes me wonder how soon they would show a girlfriend on TV, ya know?

Also, Meri sells Lularoe? How is that a good idea? I'm pretty sure the seller's address is on the packages they send. After the catfish drama I would want to keep all of that close to my chest.

I went and looked at the website.  That Lularoe stuff all looks like it's for young people?  At 45, I cannot see myself wearing any of it.

4 minutes ago, vspielman said:

I went and looked at the website.  That Lularoe stuff all looks like it's for young people?  At 45, I cannot see myself wearing any of it.

They do sell solid stuff. But if you're only going to get solid stuff then you might as well get it from somewhere cheaper, ya know?

My mom is 70, and for Christmas I got her a long, light gray, sweater material tunic and a pair of Lularoe leggings. Not from Meri, lol. The leggins are navy blue background with multi colored balloons on them. She was thrilled. I have a few pairs of patterned leggings (again, not from Meri) that I wear. They're fun. :)

2 hours ago, vspielman said:

God bless Mariah.  Just God bless her.  What a lot of strength and fortitude that must have taken.  She's stronger than I ever could have been at that age if faced with that same situation.

Can you imagine having to come out to five parents? :pb_lol: I'm glad most of them seem to be taking it well.

People have speculated a lot on FJ about if one of the fundie families we follow had a child come out as gay, but is this the first time it has actually happened? To be fair though, the Browns aren't really fundie on the same level as the other fundies we discuss.

I do wonder if any of the parents had an inkling prior to Mariah's announcement. This family is quite a shitshow. I assume Robyn and the Kodester have a loving relationship but I truly don't see it with any of the other three wives.  It appears as though Kody and Janelle have nothing romantic going on at all - I don't sense any chemistry there. And Meri and Kody don't seem to have much either, really. Christine seems to love Kody, but it's difficult to believe that he feels as strongly about her.

If that's the case, they aren't exactly a ringing endorsement of the polygamist lifestyle.  But, I do somehow think they will be accepting of Mariah.  It almost seems like they have lost whatever control they thought they had over the older kids, as they all seem to be doing exactly what they want to do.  And that is a good thing, indeed.  I think, and hope, that Mariah will be fine.  And perhaps the fact that these eleventy kids have been raised to accept their unorthodox family situation will actually result in them being completely accepting of each other, regardless of whether they are gay, straight or anything in between.

• FundieFarmer locked this topic

Archived