IGNORED

Sister Wives: 4 Wives, 4 Threads - It's Karma!

I think they are officially OK with gay marriage as they said something about how they could not practice polygamy and then be against gay marriage. I have hope that they embrace their daughter for who she is and don't make any negative comments about this. The world is watching. Make the right choice, Browns. 

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Rachel333 said:

People have speculated a lot on FJ about if one of the fundie families we follow had a child come out as gay, but is this the first time it has actually happened? To be fair though, the Browns aren't really fundie on the same level as the other fundies we discuss.

Cynthia Jeub came out as bisexual but she had already been shunned at that point.

Good for Mariah i'm glad she was able to come out. I felt there was something "there" when they showed her, and really how can they forgive Meri but not accept Mariah for being who she is. 

I do feel like they don't show Logan for a reason, not that he's gay or anything but I don't know if he's living by the principles the family adheres to. 

Logan and his girlfriend live together I think plus he's said that he no longer attends or belongs to any church.  He has his own life going with being very busy working and going to school.  I'm so glad for him to have taken the stand to move to college when the parents wanted him to live at home.  He escaped the role of being the stand-in father and was able to carve out his own life plus lead the way for his siblings.

Do any of the older kids still identify as fundamentalist Mormons? I don't know about Aspyn, but it seems like the rest of the older kids are non-religious or have gone towards the mainstream LDS (Mykelti, even though they won't let her actually join) or non-Mormon Christianity (Maddie).

I think the fact that the kids are all finding their own way is something that actually speaks well of the parents. If you have that many kids I think there would be something wrong if every single one of them lives the same lifestyle as their parents. (Thinking of the Duggars here...)

God bless Mariah! I believe the majority of that family will do the right thing.:gay-rainbowflag::bigheart:I hope she reads us here.

6 hours ago, Adrienne83 said:

I also went on the Sister Wives Facebook page to see what people said. Damn yo. People can be so heartless. I can't imagine having to deal with all the publicity and negativity just because of who you love. This makes me wonder how soon they would show a girlfriend on TV, ya know?

Also, Meri sells Lularoe? How is that a good idea? I'm pretty sure the seller's address is on the packages they send. After the catfish drama I would want to keep all of that close to my chest.

My daughter likes to watch some of Meri's sales.  We were watching some when she was here for Christmas.

3 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

Do any of the older kids still identify as fundamentalist Mormons? I don't know about Aspyn, but it seems like the rest of the older kids are non-religious or have gone towards the mainstream LDS (Mykelti, even though they won't let her actually join) or non-Mormon Christianity (Maddie).

I think the fact that the kids are all finding their own way is something that actually speaks well of the parents. If you have that many kids I think there would be something wrong if every single one of them lives the same lifestyle as their parents. (Thinking of the Duggars here...)

Maddie tried to join the LDS church as well but they prety much told her the same thing they told Mykelti.  I believe they said on the show that Mykelti is attending church with Tony but not sure aboit Maddie.

I thought it was too cute seeing Truely getting excited about Mykelti having a baby in the future.  Christine says she's going to school so I hope she finishes

Where is the Christian love that condemns children for their parents acts? In other words, where does the LDS church get off saying the kids can't join their club because their parents did something "wrong" or "sinful"? Its not the kids fault; they had no control over their parents behavior.

3 minutes ago, DaniLouisiana said:

Where is the Christian love that condemns children for their parents acts? In other words, where does the LDS church get off saying the kids can't join their club because their parents did something "wrong" or "sinful"? Its not the kids fault; they had no control over their parents behavior.

*shrug* They don't want kids with gay parents, so an adult kid of THESE people? Not surprised they don't want the shit show there.

On 1/1/2017 at 7:48 PM, snarkysuki1724 said:

Is anyone watching the 3 hour extravaganza.  My hubby actually got sucked in, and is willingly foregoing a football game he could be watching in the other room, because he says he "can't look away from the skeeviness".  LOLOLOLOL.  

Some highlights: (lowlights?)

Meri meeting up and driving around AND attending a therapy session with her "cat-fish buddy" (?!?!?!?!?!?!)  Then some kind of wine-tasting even though Meri says it's "not part of what they believe, but when in Rome" (?)

The marital therapy with the Kode-meister is sooo cringe-worthy, and OMG this therapist, what in the world.   

Husband also commented "what the hell is with these long commercials"  LOLOLOL!

We're waiting for the big news, dammit!  

Seriously, whole waste of an episode! 3 hours of Meri crap and then 5 seconds of Mariah. I wish they would have made Mariah at least half the episode. 

8 hours ago, AliceInFundyland said:

God bless Mariah! I believe the majority of that family will do the right thing.:gay-rainbowflag::bigheart:I hope she reads us here.

I really hope she reads FJ too. I spent some time reading over at another board that discusses the show and ended up furious because the general consensus of the forum was that Mariah was faking it for attention and that coming out "isn't really a big deal anymore" and "That fight is over."

Like, Really??? It doesn't take one iota of courage to come out to your public fundamentalist Mormon family? And the fight is *not* over. People STILL face homophobia and hate all the time. For Dog's sake, gay marriage only became nationally legal a few years ago and acceptance varies greatly just in our country alone!

[/end rant]

Anyway, coming back to the discussion here on FJ was really refreshing. Love y'all. :tw_heart:

It will be interesting to see how the show handles this next week. Mariah is really growing on me. She still has her own issues to work on but she really seems to be finding herself in college. That's awesome. 

Some of my thoughts in regards to the announcement and the previews for the next episode . . .

- good for Mariah for being in a place where she felt comfortable to not only share her sexual identity with her family, but also in front of the cameras.  Being one of the first "fundie" children to do so on camera is a huge step.  She certainly didn't have to do that, and going by FB comments, a lot of people still have issues with it.  Sad.

- If Meri had at least hoped that things improved after Kody went to visit Mariah, well the announcement definitely "put her in her place".  Meri was not told beforehand (if the cameras are to be believed).  And if that's really the case, then damn, she is 100% put on the same level as the bonus moms.  I don't know if that was a calculated move by Mariah, but it shows that for whatever reason, she didn't want to discuss this privately with her mother.

- based on the preview for next week's episode, Meri will drag out her reaction for plotlines.  I truly believe she will ring out her tears, until she drowns out her family's questions/reassurances/discussion points.  She will completely make it about her, and I'm sure some of it will solely be so she doesn't have to talk about the catfish stuff anymore:

Therapist: "Meri are you in a better emotional place to finally discuss you wanting to leave the family?"
Meri: "I can't think about that?!  My daughter, the special-legal-golden child, is G-A-Y?!!!"

*rolls eyes*

Sidenote: I'm not suggesting she isn't entitled to her feelings, or has no right to discuss them with whomever she feels comfortable with.  But in no way is it going to be intellectual conversations about broadening her understanding about LGBTQ+ issues/rights.  It's going to be all about her: "me, my, mine, and I" are going to be only things she says on repeat for the next several episodes.  Nevermind - I now know why Mariah didn't tell Meri beforehand one on one.

My mom is a liberal Democrat who has always taught us to love and accept others for who they are. She still had trouble adjusting when my brother came out - first as Bisexual, then as Transgender. Even the most loving parent can have trouble adjusting when the child they thought they knew so well tells them they actually don't. It can be a very tough transition for everyone involved.

So I'm willing to cut the Browns some slack for now. I honestly hope they do the right thing by supportibg and loving Mariah for the incredible young woman she is. But it could take some time for them to get there completely - especially given that some of them grew up in an extremely conservative and Fundamentalist environment - and I think it's important to remember that's normal.

-----

As for Mariah herself, I hope she always knows that she is perfect and wonderful exactly as she is. If other people don't see that, then that's their problem and not her's. It takes a great deal of courage to come out under even ideal circumstances - I'm in awe that she came out with such courage and grace given the circumstances she faced.

I wish her all the best in life. 

37 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

My mom is a liberal Democrat who has always taught us to love and accept others for who they are. She still had trouble adjusting when my brother came out - first as Bisexual, then as Transgender. Even the most loving parent can have trouble adjusting when the child they thought they knew so well tells them they actually don't. It can be a very tough transition for everyone involved.

So I'm willing to cut the Browns some slack for now. I honestly hope they do the right thing by supportibg and loving Mariah for the incredible young woman she is. But it could take some time for them to get there completely - especially given that some of them grew up in an extremely conservative and Fundamentalist environment - and I think it's important to remember that's normal.

-----

As for Mariah herself, I hope she always knows that she is perfect and wonderful exactly as she is. If other people don't see that, then that's their problem and not her's. It takes a great deal of courage to come out under even ideal circumstances - I'm in awe that she came out with such courage and grace given the circumstances she faced.

I completely agree and I think people are judging Meri pretty harshly for what was shown on a 20 second clip.  I know that when my cousin who had identified as a lesbian since I was little came out as transgendered, there were times when I was upset and it had nothing to do with not accepting him as he is.  It can be incredibly hard for people, especially for someone's parent, to find something like this out.  A parent has expectations and visions for their child's future and when that child comes out, some of those plans have to change a bit which can be tough.  It can also be incredibly painful to feel like you somehow missed this significant part of your loved one's person, and I can imagine as a parent this feeling is amplified.  Meri has always been close to Mariah so it may be tougher for her to accept she didn't see this.  The other mothers didn't have that same relationship and I would guess that Kody had a more distant relationship as well since he has so many other children to pay attention to so he doesn't have the same expectations.

I'm so proud of Mariah. It's not at all easy to come out and especially with so many people in front of cameras. I do think that it will take some time for it all to sink in for Meri and Kody, hopefully the whole family will be supportive of her. 

I think some of the judgment towards Meri and the other moms if they have any reservations at all is justified because of the unconventional life they lead. They make a *huge* deal out of everyone needing to accept them and have expressed outrage anytime someone doesn't 100% support their relationship style for however many seasons now, so to be weird about something like being gay will be majorly hypocritical if they are. I also admit my bias though because of my parents' awful reaction when I came out as bi-- I have no sympathy for anything but acceptance. I get that some people might struggle but they can keep it to themselves IMO.

I also think Meri tends to make everything about herself. She assumed Mariah was being cold to her 100% because of the catfish and her "judgment" and didn't seem to understand that the sexy photos all over the internet, Meri's attempts to make Mariah become friends with the catfish, and her refusal to admit it was an affair may have actually hurt Mariah, or that maybe Mariah was just going through something on her own that *gasp* wasn't about Meri. Meri also told the catfish personal things about Mariah and their relationship. I wouldn't have chosen to tell Meri alone first because she hasn't proven herself to be trustworthy and she'll find a way to make it about her and her emotions. 

I used to have more sympathy for Meri but the victim role makes me tired to watch. You chose this, you're not financially tied to Kody, you don't have little kids, you're not being abused, just leave instead of making everyone around you miserable! I know things aren't necessarily that simple but it's just exhausting to watch.

^ this.

Yeah, just to clarify, it's not like I don't think Meri's entitled to some feelings ~ I'm just worried based on the last like eight years, and how she twists it all around to everything BUT the issue at hand, that she'll do the same thing to Mariah.  Instead of focusing on herself, and figuring out her place in the family, she'll play the "woe is me card".  IMO it's not that I'm concerned whether she'll learn to accept Mariah or not (or even if there'll be bumps along the way).  I could just see her playing the victim card, which she has done for yearsssss, and I'd hate to see Mariah used for her plotlines like that.

Some examples of plot lines for Meri since the show began:
- Kody's getting married to Robyn.  Woe is me.
- We haven't been in a good place in years, so I figured finding him Wife #4 would help.  It didn't.  Woe is me.
- I lost my job because I'm a plyg (sidenote: like it couldn't have had to do with her job being concerned about their establishments privacy with TLC cameras around?) . . . anyways, you guess it: woe is me.
- We moved to Vegas, and why shouldn't I get a house as big as all the other wives?  Let's disregard the difference between fair vs. equal.  REPEAT THIS SPEECH FOR THE NEXT SEVERAL YEARSSSS.  Woe is me.
- I want more kids.  Wait, no I don't.  Yes, I do.  FOR YEARSSSS.  Woe is me.
- I couldn't get Mariah into her house before Christmas, because I didn't remember to turn in my paperwork on time.  But it's not my fault.  Look she's pouty!  Woe is me.
- I'm going to keep complaining how I don't feel like I'm part of the family - and then continue to sulk at home, by myself, during their outings and parties.  Woe is me.
- I've been CATFISHED.  Woe is me (no need to go into those details, since we all know it).

^ this is what I mean with her using whatever she can find to gain sympathy, and twisting it it to her purpose.  There's something deeply passive aggressive going there, and I'd hate I'd hate to see it put on Mariah. 

I agree so hard with the above. Perfect summary of meri.  My guess is it will be something along the lines of: now my ONLY child wont provide me with grandchildren (the traditional way). Woe is me. 

6 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

-----

Yes! Especially where Kody is concerned. I think he is a big old egomaniac. And frequently a douche. Often he is out of touch with the girl kids. But-he does seem to have some ability to reflect. I thought some of his comments on the catfish situation were rather on point. (where he was then vs. now) He frequently admits to not having handling things well but then having gained perspective.

Anyhow, I think he is capable of initially being an ass but then being talked out of it. Probably not by Meri. But by the other 3. Cause they do all love those children. And I think that's why Mariah went to them all together.

I can't believe anyone would say that this isn't a 'big deal'' anymore. Coming out on national television as a member of a reality show is a significant thing. Being part of a fundamentalist family is a huge fucking deal. I was gobsmacked, and then not too surprised. But when was the last time that happened  on reality tv?

13 hours ago, IreneIssh said:

I really hope she reads FJ too. I spent some time reading over at another board that discusses the show and ended up furious because the general consensus of the forum was that Mariah was faking it for attention and that coming out "isn't really a big deal anymore" and "That fight is over."

Like, Really??? It doesn't take one iota of courage to come out to your public fundamentalist Mormon family? And the fight is *not* over. People STILL face homophobia and hate all the time. For Dog's sake, gay marriage only became nationally legal a few years ago and acceptance varies greatly just in our country alone!

Ooh, I know exactly which comment you're referring to, and it irritated me so much.

http://people.com/tv/sister-wives-how-mariah-brown-conservative-mormon-family-embraced-her-after-she-came-out/

I very much hope that they're being honest and sincere here. Everyone deserves to be loved and accepted for who they are by their families. For Mariah's sake I really hope they've been as accepting and loving as they claim.

I have a half-brother who is 14 years older than me. I was President of the Gay-Straight Alliance in college for TWO years before he came out to me. And when he did it was in passing, 'My boyfriend and I are going out later, want to join us?' I didn't react at all and he asked me later if I understood him. I told him that it had never crossed my mind to consider he had a sex life, let alone that he might be gay and it didn't make any difference. He had been so nervous to come out to me (first in the family he told) even knowing I had openly dated women and, again, PRESIDENT of the GSA! I honestly can't imagine the courage it took Mariah to come out to her family. I hope this can be an example to other Fundie kids that it IS possible and the world will not end. I also hope her family can be loving, accepting and supportive. 

• FundieFarmer locked this topic

Archived