IGNORED

JinJer 2: Courting, she did ride

dawbs

5 hours ago, Marissap said:

I thought the exact same thing!  I'm sure they will come up with something nutty though, it's just ramping up. 

They could continue the J-name theme. Jeremy, Jinger, Jezebel, Job, Jethro, Jorgina, etc.

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Decided to come out of lurker stages to finally make a post about this!

one thing I'm wondering about is how Jinger would cope should they get married (I know someone mentioned upthread, there is a good chance they are engaged, with Jim Bob not wanting a Marjorie Jackson repeat), how she would cope living away from TTH? Especially should they move to Texas. It would be a big shock, having lived so close to her family and their busy lifestyle for so long. The other question I'm wondering is if JB would even allow it given Josh's ... indiscretions when living in DC. While he was on Ashley Madison prior to moving away, could JB want to keep a closer eye on all his kids and their partners after that whole debacle? I would think that would heighten his want for control?

(PS I hope this wasn't already discussed, I did try to read the whole thread but it moved very fast!)

I will admit that I missed some pages in this thread.  So, forgive me if I repeat.  I found some interesting phrases from his webpage.  Definite fundie speak.  Now I see why he looked like an excellent fundie husband.

"I had known she was a godly young woman with outstanding character and a passion for sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ but we had never really interacted on more than a surface level. "

"I called Ben and Jess and began asking them more questions about her—of course, everything they said only confirmed what I had already been seeing: a humble, meek, modest, intelligent young woman with a burning desire to sacrificially serve the Lord in any way she could. "

"On Thursday morning, December 11, 2015, I expressed my interest to get to know Jinger better to Mr. Duggar."

It's right out of the fundie courtship playbook. 

Now we know about the shifty answers on the Duggar finale.  That was filmed in Feb.  

I'm definitely wanting more back story on Lawson's cryptic tweets.  Even before the two yesterday, the previous two bible passages that he posted in the last few days are about bitterness and some retweets or lyrics about a "brokeness" and God allowing terrible things to happen in your life.  

I'm having a hard time snarking on Laredo, except that it's in a part of the country I wouldn't care to live in. I visited Spokane, WA last summer for WorldCon and discovered what a charming city it is. It seems to have fewer traffic problems than the major city in which I live, while having shopping options, cultural events, and the educational opportunities offered by a good school (Gonzaga).  (By opportunities, I mean sports options, lectures, and events in addition to classes.)My own bias is that I wouldn't want to live in a place again without a decent university or other educational opportunities, but, to someone from Tontitown who has just studied at SODRT, the educational part wouldn't be important, and it's a real city.

Just now, Audrey2 said:

I'm having a hard time snarking on Laredo, except that it's in a part of the country I wouldn't care to live in. I visited Spokane, WA last summer for WorldCon and discovered what a charming city it is. It seems to have fewer traffic problems than the major city in which I live, while having shopping options, cultural events, and the educational opportunities offered by a good school (Gonzaga).  (By opportunities, I mean sports options, lectures, and events in addition to classes.)My own bias is that I wouldn't want to live in a place again without a decent university or other educational opportunities, but, to someone from Tontitown who has just studied at SODRT, the educational part wouldn't be important, and it's a real city.

I don't think anyone is snarking on Laredo. All things being relative, some consider Laredo a large city. I grew up in NYC, so it doesn't seem large at all to me. I have lived 60 miles north of the city all my adult life,  I love my small town, but hearing Laredo described as a large city b/c it has FOUR Walmarts seems funny to me. No snark to anyone. 

6 minutes ago, Ungodly Grandma said:

I don't think anyone is snarking on Laredo. All things being relative, some consider Laredo a large city. I grew up in NYC, so it doesn't seem large at all to me. I have lived 60 miles north of the city all my adult life,  I love my small town, but hearing Laredo described as a large city b/c it has FOUR Walmarts seems funny to me. No snark to anyone. 

SAME! I grew up in Brooklyn. Hearing that Laredo is considered a big city is kinda funny to me. I think LA is a small city because it's so spread out. To me a big city is Chicago. There were 4K kids in my high school. I've never been but maybe Austin or Houston are big cities. 

2 minutes ago, Ungodly Grandma said:

It is snark. And it is unnecessary. The notion that smaller cities aren't really cities and have no culture or opportunity is elitist and insulting. As a Midwesterner, I've heard it my entire life. I once sat next to a woman from LA on a plane who wanted to know if we could buy clothes in my state or if we had to shop entirely by mail order (this was early in the internet era--but I'm guessing she thinks we don 't have that either). She couldn't imagine that we had actual stores. She, in fact, assumed that we would be driving from the plane's destination (2 states away) rather than getting a connecting flight as she thought we did not have airports. 

I pointed out that it has four WalMarts because someone (I think you, actually, but I'm not going to scroll back to check) said it was a small town and she might get lucky and it might have a WalMart. So Walmart is funny to you...fine. One of their malls has Macy's and Armani. Is that good enough? 

People outside of NYC actually have lives, culture, even retail stores of all kinds. 

I mean, I don't think anyone is saying Laredo is a big city, just that it is in fact an honest-to-goodness city with all the amenities that the title "city" entails. The whole counting a city by its Walmarts thing is just in response to the famous statement by Michelle about how Jinger wants to live near a Walmart.

Laredo is listed as 10th largest city in TX so it's one of the bigger cities in TX. And way bigger than Tontitown.

To go back a little, Michelle won't wear the white dress, because it will be fall or early winter. She will wear the tin man dress because modesty.

7 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

It is snark. And it is unnecessary. The notion that smaller cities aren't really cities and have no culture or opportunity is elitist and insulting. As a Midwesterner, I've heard it my entire life. I once sat next to a woman from LA on a plane who wanted to know if we could buy clothes in my state or if we had to shop entirely by mail order (this was early in the internet era--but I'm guessing she thinks we don 't have that either). She couldn't imagine that we had actual stores. She, in fact, assumed that we would be driving from the plane's destination (2 states away) rather than getting a connecting flight as she thought we did not have airports. 

I pointed out that it has four WalMarts because someone (I think you, actually, but I'm not going to scroll back to check) said it was a small town and she might get lucky and it might have a WalMart. So Walmart is funny to you...fine. One of their malls has Macy's and Armani. Is that good enough? 

People outside of NYC actually have lives, culture, even retail stores of all kinds. 

No no no! We just live in a flyover state. :-/

I have often heard the Midwest described that way. 

13 minutes ago, louisa05 said:

Well, I seem to have hit a nerve! Or do you always over react?

If you read my post, I never said it was not a city. I said after living in an actual large city, it did not seem like a large city to me. It still doesn't.  

12 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

To go back a little, Michelle won't wear the white dress, because it will be fall or early winter. She will wear the tin man dress because modesty.

That's one of the best ways to describe her dress that I've ever seen! Perfectly fitting, too.  ;) 

12 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Honestly I hope the tin man dress has seen a bonfire.  

Didn't she wear something a little better at Jessa's wedding?

4 minutes ago, Ungodly Grandma said:

Well, I seem to have hit a nerve! Or do you always over react?

If you read my post, I never said it was not a city. I said after living in an actual large city, it did not seem like a large city to me. It still doesn't.  

I agree with the previous poster. It is condescending. It is also a stupid thing to be debating. It is a small city. Done. 

4 minutes ago, 19 cats and counting said:

Honestly I hope the tin man dress has seen a bonfitown

Didn't she wear something a little bette r at Jessa's wedding?

She wore a blue dress that was below her knee, 3/4 sleeve.  It was quite prety.  I live in a tiwn of less than 350 so 200,000 is huge to me

Ben, Jill, Derrick, Jinger, Jessa....Spanish speaking people have god. 

I am five hours from Laredo, I know it had Trump visit and that pissed a lot of people off. It does have a gang issue and really blue. 

4 hours ago, nst said:

meek

mēk/
adjective

1. quiet, gentle, and easily imposed on; submissive.
      - BOOM there it is SUBMISSIVE 

the guys a wacko 

I too am late to the party with all this. It's my day off and I'm having quite the time catching up by the pool. :kitty-wink: But I just can't believe it...this guy actually said he was looking for a "meek" woman. This is something that he said. He said this. I mean...what?! That's so odd and aggressive. Ugh.

But of course now I keep thinking of that Life of Brian quote, "Oh, it's blessed are the MEEK! Oh, I'm glad they're getting something, they have a hell of a time."

This is gonna be interesting to follow.

5 minutes ago, Kaylo said:

I agree with the previous poster. It is condescending. It is also a stupid thing to be debating. It is a small city. Done. 

I guess that's what confuses me. Why insist it is a big city? That's all.

Is it condescending to say an elephant is bigger than a dog? 

But I do not appreciate the tome some of you are using toward me, so rant on. 

16 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

No no no! We just live in a flyover state. :-/

I have often heard the Midwest described that way. 

I love that song!!! (Video in spoiler)

Spoiler

I live on the opposite side of the state from a city that gets a lot of press. I lived in that area for 10 months. I hated it, I didn't like the traffic and houses on top of each other but what I hated the most was the people thinking that there wasn't anything else in our state besides the big metro area (4.2 million people- 42% of the state population). They stuck their nose up at the entire rest of the state. So these elitist attitudes, as @louisa05 pointed out, are offensive and ignorant. I plan on traveling to all 50 states in my lifetime and I have had a few people say "what are you going to do in North Dakota?" or "What are you going to do in Kansas?" and other "fly over states" And my answer is always, there is always something to do in any of our states, don't discount the state just because it isn't flashy.

I suggest people educate themselves about the cities they talk about, before saying it is a one-horse (or walmart) town. It is silly to be debate the size but the original post that I quoted by @Fundie Bunny said: "It will be close to a walmart, and that's it" which is not true.

As always on FJ, if people are uneducated about a topic, others on the forum will educate them (myself included).

In no disrespect at all, I see a few people mentioning that JerBear could be gay and, as someone who works in a gay bar, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he randomly walked in there one day. I do get that vibe from him. This is just going off of first impressions though, Counting On may prove me to be completely wrong.

13 hours ago, doubleT said:

I always find so weird when in this how we met stories some fundies only talk about how they found this very Godly person and thanks to pray and advice of their families they decided to court and nothing about having a crush and liking each other.

4 minutes ago, Diana said:

I always find so weird when in this how we met stories some fundies only talk about how they found this very Godly person and thanks to pray and advice of their families they decided to court and nothing about having a crush and liking each other.

I agree. It seems very sterile and all the same just change names and locations.

And who the hell says "providentially" outside the fundie world? I am always amazed at the word salad that fundies can produce.

The city talk is making me laugh. In the UK a 200,000 population would be huge. I live bang in the middle of 3 large UK cities (Manchester-510,000, Leeds-764,000 and Sheffield-563,000) they are counted as massive cities. The city I grew up in (Durham) has a population around 50,000 and it's still considered big.

• SpoonfulOSugar locked this topic

Archived