IGNORED

JinJer 2: Courting, she did ride

dawbs

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

All this creeper talk made me think of something - are fundie women allowed to leave physically abusive relationships, or do they pray it away like they do cheating? Where is the line drawn?

They're "allowed" to leave but highly discouraged. I believe the Pearls call it "standing on your rights" instead of trusting the lord, and fundies seem to strongly encourage staying in the marriage and being an example of a godly woman who changes her husband's abusive heart by leading him to the lord (or some such bullshit). I don't know if there is a line of "too much abuse" but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that there isn't.

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

All this creeper talk made me think of something - are fundie women allowed to leave physically abusive relationships, or do they pray it away like they do cheating? Where is the line drawn?

I think it depends on the individual/family. I'm not a fundieologist, but from what I've read, some (the Pearls, I believe) think the solution is "submit harder and you'll eventually make him feel bad because you're such a good wife and he'll have a come to Jesus moment." Sometimes it's ok to leave (or at least separate if not divorce) if kids are being abused. I'm sure some would think just spousal abuse is an acceptable reason to leave. 

Honestly, I can't imagine Jinger as a pastor's wife, leading the women of the church. How big is that church anyway?

Interesting coincidence for me that Jeremy played in Finland (that's where I'm from). His former team is located in northern Finland (only 300 km from the Arctic Circle, definitely not flip flop -country) and is not a big or very succesfull team. I suppose most of the players have regular day jobs other than football. From the outdated links on his long-forgotten fb page I could gather that they thought he was a great player and an even greater person and the best goal keeper who had worn their jersey.

I'm kind of happy that Jinger is getting the hell away from TTH, DQ and Boob, but like with the rest of you, I'm worrying it might be for the worse. And I'm so fucking bored with it that they always have to mention that the biggest draw to their special someone is "their love for the LORD"...

35 minutes ago, IReallyAmHopewell said:

No--that would ruin their "ministry." Marriage is forever. A daughter back home would be FAILURE.

See that's typical fundie belief. But I see JB more as the type that was so attracted to the Gothard fundie cult because it meant he could control everyone. But that was 25 years ago. Before the children becoming marrying age and leaving and cleaving. So he of course he approved of Bin and Derick because he saw them as easily led by him and they would just blend right in to the Duggar brand. This guy is different. I think JB may regret approving a guy with a mind of his own and a backbone. But he had to approve him for ratings. If he hadn't, the show would be cancelled. I can se JB jumping at the chance of getting his girl back in the house if his SOn in law wasn't falling in line with the Duggars. JB is all about control. And I bet he will have a hard time controlling Jeremy. He's only got the show to use as a means of control. 

1 minute ago, LurkerOverThePond said:

Honestly, I can't imagine Jinger as a pastor's wife, leading the women of the church. How big is that church anyway?

When you say it like that, it seems even more like that's the life Jessa would have picked for herself. I really do wonder how she feels about all of this.

2 minutes ago, trisprefect said:

When you say it like that, it seems even more like that's the life Jessa would have picked for herself. I really do wonder how she feels about all of this.

Oh I'm sure Jessa will be bitter as hell if Jinger becomes the perfect pastors trophy wife and she's left in the tiny house with dumb ass bin rapping away in the garage.

I'm with many people here, the more I hear about him the more creepy vibes he gives.  Lawson lately has been acting like he doesn't want a relationship, I wonder if he knew something was going on with JinJer or Jinger told him no.  If Sierra does the wedding,  will Josh be the MC like has at the others?

3 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

Oh I'm sure Jessa will be bitter as hell if Jinger becomes the perfect pastors trophy wife and she's left in the tiny house with dumb ass bin rapping away in the garage.

By the sounds of it Jessa probably set her up.  If anything, it was probably Jessa assuming that Jinger should want exactly what Jessa would want without taking into account any of their personality differences.

4 minutes ago, Nashville92 said:

I'm with many people here, the more I hear about him the more creepy vibes he gives.  Lawson lately has been acting like he doesn't want a relationship, I wonder if he knew something was going on with JinJer or Jinger told him no.  If Sierra does the wedding,  will Josh be the MC like has at the others?

Hell no! Josh lost all MC privileges when the cheating candle broke. He will blend in at Jingers wedding with the other Duggar boys.

1 minute ago, Natalie22 said:

By the sounds of it Jessa probably set her up.  If anything, it was probably Jessa assuming that Jinger should want exactly what Jessa would want without taking into account any of their personality differences.

Have any of you heard of/seen the musical Hamilton?This reminds me of a scene from that, where one sister, Angelica, can't date Alexander Hamilton so she sets him up with her sister Eliza. At the end of the song, she sings 

"At least my dear Eliza's his wife/ At least I keep his eyes in my life"

Jessa is totally having Angelica-vibes. 

Just now, Gillyweed said:

Have any of you heard of/seen the musical Hamilton?This reminds me of a scene from that, where one sister, Angelica, can't date Alexander Hamilton so she sets him up with her sister Eliza. At the end of the song, she sings 

"At least my dear Eliza's his wife/ At least I keep his eyes in my life"

Jessa is totally having Angelica-vibes. 

well since Jessa doesn't care about Jana - she had to set up her best sister Jinger

Nothing to add to Jeremy's potential creepiness (ugh), but you guys are really good at finding beautiful wedding dresses. Almost makes me wish I was engaged.

(Almost)

Also, my hope for Jinger is that she and Jeremy don't become softcore Andersons. I would hate to have fun, funky (for fundies) Jinger talking about how "sodomites are pedophiles." 

I've always loved the dress Kate Beckett wore to her ill fated wedding. Jinger would look lovely in one like this and with her hair styled similarly. 

image.png

34 minutes ago, Nikedagain? said:

Nope. Just nope. Don't like the word "meek" in this context. Don't like the Bin endorsement. Don't like his videos, SERIOUSLY fundie infomercials. 

And @VelociRapture you forgot the J-Rod crew rolling up in the griftermobile to sit on the front row. In white. 

I tried to watched his "testimonial" video, and all I could think was, "What the hell is he talking about?" Really, there are no relatable ideas, there are no thoughts, just spewing of lines of scripture. My college campus had a roped-off square for people like him to stand in while they shouted at the passing students.

1 hour ago, Fundie Bunny said:

Seriously, with 200,000 people Laredo is NOT a big city by any meas. It will be close to a walmart, and that's it

To the bold, you are joking right?

I live near 2 cities that touch and combined they have a population of about 122,000 people. We have 2 targets, 2 kohl's, 1 mall (with upscale stores), 3 walmarts, 4 regional superstores that is way better than walmart, an airport that is not just for private airlines, 2 universities, 1 college and 1 community college, 2 major trauma hospitals, at least 3 ice rinks, 2 concert arenas, a Costco and Sam's club, almost any chain restaurant or hotel, etc.

200,000 people is a large city. It isn't a mega city such as Chicago (2.7 million) or really big such as:  Indianapolis (800k), Cleveland (400k), Detroit (688k), Columbus (800k), Dallas (1.2), Atlanta (450k), Miami (417k), Boston (646K), Baltimore (622K) but a 200k city is large has a lot to offer.

I live in an almost 600k city and i consider it small. I would definetly drown in the US, as it looks :tw_astonished:

I do like that he will want to watch soccer a lot (most likely) and not AS much american football :) exposure people!!!!

12 new posts in the time it took me to catch up on just three pages! :ABON: (and six more in the time it took me to write this).

"Meek" was a dumb word choice but seeing as they probably use shiz like "helpmeet" in private, it's probably among the best synonym choices they can use. However, I feel like for Jinger, he probably means "shy" more than "submissive." I think Jessa and Jill are more interested in being "meek" wives in the submissive sense, and Jinger probably just wants the opportunity to make enough money to live comfortably sans camera and have all the cute clothes and black eyeliner she can handle. She just doesn't always want to ham it up in TLC-scripted activities. I think that even as a non-pro, between his degree, athletic career, and (gross) ministry career, Jeremy is leaps and bounds beyond the other Duggar in-law in terms of potential future security.

But maybe I'm holding too much of a torch for our namesake :roll:. I guess we'll see.

It's all a matter on context. Jinger is coming from a town that has less than 3k people. I grew up in a town with around 10000, and when I moved to Worcester (a city with 182k) it definitely felt like a city to me even though it was dwarfed by NYC. 13 colleges, a thriving downtown area with some small skyscrapers, the works.

A horrible thought:

Joshley is given a job at Jeremy's church, ministering to men who have committed sins of the flesh.  It is slowly built into an RU-type "rehab".  JB has gotten Josh out of sight and promoting the family brand again (under the watchful eye of his new brother-in-law).

Sorry...I must have gotten up on the wrong side of the bed.

10 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

I live near 2 cities that touch and combined they have a population of about 122,000 people. We have 2 targets, 2 kohl's, 1 mall (with upscale stores), 3 walmarts, 4 regional superstores that is way better than walmart, an airport that is not just for private airlines, 2 universities, 1 college and 1 community college, 2 major trauma hospitals, at least 3 ice rinks, 2 concert arenas, a Costco and Sam's club, almost any chain restaurant or hotel, etc.

200,000 people is a large city. It isn't a mega city such as Chicago (2.7 million) or really big such as:  Indianapolis (800k), Cleveland (400k), Detroit (688k), Columbus (800k), Dallas (1.2), Atlanta (450k), Miami (417k), Boston (646K), Baltimore (622K) but a 200k city is large has a lot to offer.

Agreed!!!! 200k is a small city. Everett, WA has a population of half that and is definitely a city.

@Nikedagain?How could I forget JRod! Yes, they can sit front row in white. Right next to Michelle - who will rewear the white dress she wore for Amy's wedding. It will be delightfully awkward!  :pb_lol:

3 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

This. I grew up near a city with a current population of 258,000. It has a Big 10 University, a small private university, a liberal arts college, and a multi-campus community college. It has two large malls, an independent league baseball team and a minor league hockey team, an arena that hosts major acts regularly, other small venues that host touring Broadway, dance performances, etc..., art galleries, several museums, two Kohl's stores, FOUR WalMarts and two Sam's Clubs...

A city of 200,000 is not a small town with a couple of stores. Google tells me that Laredo also has four WalMarts. And three malls. It has an arena that seems to host major acts. Three art galleries. An independent league baseball team. Seems they lost their minor league hockey team after 2012 season, though. 

11 minutes ago, trisprefect said:

It's all a matter on context. Jinger is coming from a town that has less than 3k people. I grew up in a town with around 10000, and when I moved to Worcester (a city with 182k) it definitely felt like a city to me even though it was dwarfed by NYC. 13 colleges, a thriving downtown area with some small skyscrapers, the works.

I think folks are forgetting that there is a big city across the border. The Laredo/Nuevo Laredo metro area has over 600,000 people: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laredo–Nuevo_Laredo

Tontitown is part of the Northwest Arkansas metro area, which  has 500,000 people https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northwest_Arkansas 

The Laredo area doesn't have much in the way of higher ed, though. There is a small Texas A& M campus and a couple community colleges. NW Arkansas has a lot more.

• SpoonfulOSugar locked this topic

Archived