IGNORED

JinJer 2: Courting, she did ride

dawbs

1 hour ago, JMO said:

I'm definitely wanting more back story on Lawson's cryptic tweets.  Even before the two yesterday, the previous two bible passages that he posted in the last few days are about bitterness and some retweets or lyrics about a "brokeness" and God allowing terrible things to happen in your life.  

Stupid tabloid theory: JB gave Big Daddy permission to ~get to know~ Jinger while she was already ~getting to know~ Lawson, which is like the fundie brat version of adultery. Heart pieces everywhere!! There you go, Hollywood Life, you're welcome.

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, JessaErin said:

Long time lurker, first time poster.. I can absolutely see Jessa being very jealous of Jinger (or at least of her courting Jeremy). Firstly, he is an actual adult, not some teenage boy. Second, he's an athlete and a very good looking one too. Thirdly, he just seems 100 times better than Bin in every aspect.. not like that's hard to do though. He's also actually educated, unlike Bin who can't string an educated sentence together! Idk, the moment I saw this I thought jeez he seems way more Jessa's type of man and I wonder if deep down she's lowkey pissed off that she settled for a teenager when she could of had him. 

Yes, the way this plays out interests me a lot. Jessa already seems to be seeing the error of her ways in rushing into marriage with the first guy who made the blood rush to her bathing suit parts. However I think her happiness with Spurge tempers any anger a bit--for now.

But if Jinger gets the whole Fundie package, and lives independently of the family and with financial stability and social standing, I wonder how Jessa will deal with resentment and bitterness with her decisions as her life is thrown in sharp contrast to Jinger's.

And ITA that he seems much more Jessa's type than Jinger's. Let's be real, for women in these families, courting has a 19th century economic angle. I can't believe Jessa-- beautiful, pragmatic, and assertive-- blew her chance on an unemployed Flonase-dependent Eminem wannabe who can't string an intelligible sentence together or name kids for shit.

39 minutes ago, OldFadedStar said:

Yesss!!!

I grew up in Illinois, southern Illinois to be precise. Since then I've encountered many many people from outside my home town.. I will tell them I'm from Illinois and the FIRST response 95% of the time is "Oh, you are from Chicago?".

... I never said I was from Chicago. The rest of Illinois actually hates Chicago (maybe slight exaggeration). I live 5 hours from Chicago. 

So I just say I'm from the St Louis area since thats 30 minutes from my home town. But then I've had people get confused because "St Louis is in Missouri." 

I feel this so much. I'm from Nevada and everyone always assumes that means Las Vegas. I've been to Vegas maybe twice in my life and only once that I remember. It's something like a seven hour drive from my hometown to Vegas. 

Also: my hometown has about a thousand people. Closest Walmart is over an hour away, closest shopping mall is almost three hours away. Laredo would be a city that would terrify me to drive in. I think it'll meet Jinger's "City please!" needs just fine. 

As for the gay thing.  I haven't heard the man preach (and don't exactly want to).  However, usually the people who are loudest about their homophobia have something to hide (Rick Santorum anyone?)

6 hours ago, VelociRapture said:

I'm so hoping Sierra does the wedding. Think of the possibilities!!!

- A beautiful outdoor reception in October. Suddenly, the weather reports say it's going to rain - and there's no tents available to rent! Panic ensues, but it's totes cool cause the rain ends before the ceremony starts.

- A lovely Coffee/Soccer/Jesus hybrid theme.

- Multi-colored plastic flamingoes decorate the altar. No explanation will be given. It'll be weird.

- Crazy eyes will be on full display. For no reason at all.

- Erin Bates Paine will be banging those piano keys so hard it'll make you wonder if the piano insulted her honor somehow.

- Jinger decides there will only be cupcakes served. Sierra, and her new side kick Joy, scramble to make replacements after Josie licks the tops of half of them the morning of the wedding.

- JB fake cries before the ceremony. Michelle makes that pained looking smile. Jinger and Jessa make heart signs with their hands. 

- Jana loses her shit completely after altering twenty dresses and sewing twenty ties. A rampage ensues, during which a small village is sadly trampled.

- Awkward camera shots to hide Joshley from view.

- Half the ceremony won't be shown because it'll be too over the top Fundie for the speshul snowflakes that are TLC viewers.

- Derick tries to joke about something, but only succeeds in looking Douchey. 

- Bin tries to speak, but is so congested that no one can understand a word he says.

- Jill does something relatively harmless (like being obviously pregnant or having Derick paint her nails); everyone claims she's an attention stealing whore. 

- Cousin Amy does something Cousin Amyish. It'll be phenomenal. 

Can we have Bingo sheets made for this? I'd play!

1 minute ago, felinefundie said:

Also: my hometown has about a thousand people. Closest Walmart is over an hour away, closest shopping mall is almost three hours away. Laredo would be a city that would terrify me to drive in. I think it'll meet Jinger's "City please!" needs just fine. 

I want to ask this in a not at all condescending or snarky way because it comes from a place of genuine curiosity and I'm definitely not saying that living somewhere rural is any worse than living in an urban area. Does it ever bother you to be so far away from major amenities like that, or is it just something you're used to by now so you don't think twice about a drive like that? Are there a lot/any cultural type experiences in your area, like museums or theater? How far away are you from the closest hospital? I grew up in a very small town, but even though my house was in a rural area surrounded by farms, if you drove for 30 minutes you were in the heart of Buffalo. I've always been curious about places that are just a lot more isolated.

@Bushes of Love @MorningMist @Diana

All of your talk about the UK and Spain reminds me of my trip to Ireland- I know not where any of you live. Prior to Ireland the only other foreign countries I had visited was Canada and Russia. While in Ireland our waiter was from Spain and he told us he would fly home sometimes for the weekend. Which in the US one does not just fly to Spain for the weekend (unless you are rich and fly the concord), so my husband and I had to wrap our heads around flying to another country for the weekend. In some states it takes over 5 hours of driving to get to another state- let alone another country. Another server told us she was going to the US on holiday. We inquired where and she said, NYC, DC, Disney (Orlando), Boston & Los Angeles. Which we then asked, well how long are you visiting the US. She said 1 week. We tried to stifle laughs and then tried to explain how big the US was to her and that she might be able to see parts of NYC, DC and Boston in one trip but it would be a packed trip and she would have to fly to Disney & LA because it takes days (2 for FL if you push it, several days for CA) to drive to those cities from the East coast.

5 minutes ago, trisprefect said:

I want to ask this in a not at all condescending or snarky way because it comes from a place of genuine curiosity and I'm definitely not saying that living somewhere rural is any worse than living in an urban area. Does it ever bother you to be so far away from major amenities like that, or is it just something you're used to by now so you don't think twice about a drive like that? Are there a lot/any cultural type experiences in your area, like museums or theater? How far away are you from the closest hospital? I grew up in a very small town, but even though my house was in a rural area surrounded by farms, if you drove for 30 minutes you were in the heart of Buffalo. I've always been curious about places that are just a lot more isolated.

I grew up in a rural area of northern California.   The nearest Big City was San Francisco, about 7 hours away.  You could get to biggish cities (Santa Rosa, Redding) in a few hours.  When I was a kid I didn't miss the amenities cos I didn't know any other way.  It was just given that your favorite band wasn't going to be stopping by on their tour.  Professional sports were watched on TV but not actually attended.  Once a year we'd go on a big shopping trip to a mall in Santa Rosa to get new clothes, usually just before the start of the school year.  There were some shops, but Santa Rosa had more choices all in one place.

I now work in San Francisco and live in a nearby community.  I don't see myself ever going back to a small town.  Saturday morning, it occurred to DH and I that it was a lovely day for baseball - and we went online, bought tickets, and had butts in seats for a game at 1.  That could never have happened back home.  There are so many more things to do and see and now I take it for granted.  Then again, there are friends back home who could never imagine living somewhere that you couldn't keep livestock and your house sits on a postage stamp lot rather than several acres.

Just now, quiversR4hunting said:

All of your talk about the UK and Spain reminds me of my trip to Ireland- I know not where any of you live. Prior to Ireland the only other foreign countries I had visited was Canada and Russia. While in Ireland our waiter was from Spain and he told us he would fly home sometimes for the weekend. Which in the US one does not just fly to Spain for the weekend (unless you are rich and fly the concord), so my husband and I had to wrap our heads around flying to another country for the weekend. In some states it takes over 5 hours of driving to get to another state- let alone another country. Another server told us she was going to the US on holiday. We inquired where and she said, NYC, DC, Disney (Orlando), Boston & Los Angeles. Which we then asked, well how long are you visiting the US. She said 1 week. We tried to stifle laughs and then tried to explain how big the US was to her and that she might be able to see parts of NYC, DC and Boston in one trip but it would be a packed trip and she would have to fly to Disney & LA because it takes days (2 for FL if you push it, several days for CA) to drive to those cities from the East coast.

That's the beauty of living in Europe. When I have the money I go to Paris for a few days on a whim and last August I got a bus from London to Amsterdam and it only took 12 hours (and cost £35 return!). I'm going to Dublin for the day on my birthday next month too.

1 minute ago, quiversR4hunting said:

I've heard people say things like that before. Always cracks me up. The US is big, geographically speaking. Very big.  It's easy to lose perspective on that.  From what i've seen/understood about the east coast is that things are a bit closer together. Driving more than 30 mins or an hour for something isn't all that common, and it only takes a few hours or half a day to get to another state.  I live in the southwest, and driving 2 hours to get to a walmart isn't uncommon.  Or 20 minutes to visit a close neighbor.   My parents live in california and regularly drive 30-40 minutes each way just to get to the gym, and they live in a heavily populated area.  

34 minutes ago, trisprefect said:

I think Jana wasn't into it. I can't see her being drawn to an ambitious, spotlight-loving "pretty boy". Jinger, bless her heart, probably just wants someone who will love her -- I think any more specific preferences have gone by the wayside, considering how unworthy she feels. :(

34 minutes ago, quiversR4hunting said:

Oh god. The Rodrigii method- offer up 2 girls and have the guy pick <ugh>

Like I said, I don't think Jeremy had to choose between Jana or Jinger. I think he wanted Jinger.

There were similar comments made when Jill and Derick started to court ("Why didn't JB give Derick to Jana") I don't believe that's how these courtships happened.

All this talk about different cities is fascinating. I grew up in Miami and now live in the Orlando area. So I've always lived in big cities, where anything longer than a 30 minute drive could be considered "long." There are 2 Wal-Mart's within a 15 minute drive of my house. Hearing other people's experiences really puts things in perspective!

They couldn't get Tim Tebow for Jana, so they settle for the Dollar General knockoff version for Jinger. Lol. It's not really surprising to me that Jeremy would want a fundie princess like Jinger. She's just one more stop on the Atonement Train for whatever youthful discretions he made in high school/college. Whether he's gay or not, she's his get out of jail free card. You know, something a healthy marriage should be based on...

Just now, trisprefect said:

I love talking about rural life. It's my favorite topic, so don't feel as if you're being condescending. These are great questions!

It never really bothered me to be so far away from amenities like shopping or movie theaters or whatnot. My hometown has a grocery store, a Family Dollar, and a few gas stations so we never really went in dire need of something if we couldn't get to the nearest city.  The 50 mile drive to the nearest "city" (about 50,000 people) gets to be so routine you barely notice it. And that city has a theater and clothing stores and everything.

As far as cultural events, there are almost an inordinate amount of pioneer and California trail centers and museums in my area. There's also a large Basque population and festival every year in the city. Otherwise, ranch life kind of becomes the culture. 4-H and FFA are HUGE here, branding season is a real big party. Outdoorsy things like hiking, fishing, hunting, boating in the lake, and camping are what we do for recreation (many of these things are typically done whilst getting very drunk, in true redneck country fashion). The greatest thing about living in such a sparsely populated area is that community events really are community-oriented. The whole town and all the surrounding ranching communities all pitch in for any "big" town event and there's a really high level of personal involvement with everything. 

As far as theater, they used to have both a movie theater (one screen) and a community theatre group in my town. Unfortunately they no longer have either. They have lots of theater programs put on for kids and the high school has about two plays a year (on a good year), and the closest city has a really decent community theater program. Our senior year in high school one of my friends got the lead in the Pirates of Penzance and had to drive all the way to the city every day immediately after school for practice. She thought it was definitely worth the milage. Even worse are the very talented athletes who have to drive the 2.5 hours to do club sports. 

The closest hospital from my hometown is about 45 minutes away. It's privately owned, very corrupt, overpriced, and has just about the worst medical care you can get, so unless it's an absolute emergency where you are going to die very quickly, the best bet is the next closest hospital about two and a half hours away. Even if you do go to the closest hospital, there's a chance you'll just end up life-flighted to the second or third closest one anyways. Our medical care situation in my area is one thing I would love to see improvements in. 

This is my longest post ever so sorry about that! 

Thinking on my prior post, it occurs to me that city sizes are all relative.

The suburb I live in now has about 100k people.  That's not extraordinary in the Bay Area; there are many towns that size.  

Redding, CA, also has around 100k people.  However, it's the biggest city for several counties in any direction.  Hell, if you head east from there you'd probably have to cross all of Nevada and a few other states to get to something bigger.  Thus, Redding gets counted as a city/population center whilst San Mateo is a suburb and you get on a train or in your car to travel not that far to still bigger cities.

11 hours ago, OrchidBlossom said:

I completely agree. His whole mannerism is very controlled and detached in a way that I find ominous. And it's like everyone has been saying, newfound fundies are the worst a lot of the time, they can be perfectly normal people but when something about a cult grabs them they get zealous. Cults change your whole personality. Of course this isn't true of all kinds of religion, but the extremeist sort that he is likely to be, they bring out the worst in people. For Derick and Ben that seems to be mostly moral superiority and an insistence of talking about things that they just do not understand. But I get the feeling I don't want to know the worst in this guy.

Man. Where is this video? I saw the one where he's talking about how Christians need to be mindless, Stepford wife-type robots with zero identity. Just blind, frightening fanatics for Christ. But I didn't sense anything super creepy out of that ordinary frightening fanaticism we see from these nuts. 

So sad. Jinger. The one whose spunk and eye-rolling gave rise to hope that she could and would want to break free. 

I never thought, though, that she was anything other than a fundie synchophant. I have never had a lot of hope that any of the kids in these families would be likely to leave the "faith".   They all seem so entrenched. So I'm sadly, not too surprised. 

I also want to say that I'm very sad for Jana. In their culture, as you all well know, a woman's worth is in her ovaries. Her status is determined by who her husband is and how many kids she has. 

And so as the years go by, any natural inclination or talent or desire or anything other than, with the narrow exceptions of possibly home-based craft businesses ("I make candles for Christ!), or the writer of cute books about being a SAHD, or maybe, if their parents are super liberal, an assistant to the assistant to a doula, or a private piano teacher to children, any such inclination or desire or talent is squashed and snuffed out, as these women learn their place and how limited their horizons are.

So poor Jana, who by all accounts was a vibrant, strong-willed child who got her personality "trained" out of her by a rod, and has likely seen any natural interest she may have had in a real education or a profession, or even recreation that involves physical prowess, now has to sit quietly by and watch her one and only chance at status and at something other than being the patient family drudge, fade away with the years. 

It's tragic. 

14 minutes ago, trisprefect said:

Most rural areas have a centrally located small hospital that is capable of airlifting or using ambulances to take patients to larger cities if necessary. When I was a small child (from 5-8 years old) we lived in a small town of less than 10,000 at that time. It had a small hospital that could do most routine care, deliver babies, etc... Granted, for more complex care, it might require a longer trip. That hospital served not only the town but the surrounding rural areas. We had to travel about an hour for any larger stores--i.e. department stores, so that was not an everyday trip. Even where I live, 20 miles from a major metro area (that most people who are not from NYC would probably consider a large city), we have to plan for errands in the city. It is something that is part of life and not really hassle. Having lived in that city, I find that it is easier on the budget to not have everything that close. We do way less impulse buying than I did when the mall, etc...was down the street. We have groceries, a drug store and a WalMart in town. But we get many things in the city. Fortunately for us, all the amenities of the city are easy to access. But it is also quieter, friendlier and safer where we live. 

I would say that in most areas of Nebraska, there are small theaters, small museums, local arts, etc...available within an hour's drive (although in the far western panhandle, it may be longer and in some cases those things are across state lines). The truly small city I went to college in (about 25,000) provided a number of cultural opportunities to the surrounding mostly rural area including a symphony orchestra made up of both community members and students, theater, other music events, an art gallery and sports. The community has a large hospital that serves the surrounding area and includes advanced care in many areas and a large museum including an IMAX theatre. It is just over 100 miles from the nearest city over 200,000. 

You can't go to an MLB game on the spur of the moment. That's true. But you can really only do that in 25 metro areas anyway (several areas have multiple teams, cutting that number) and only if the team happens to be at home, which is 81 days in a season. So we survive. 

50 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

an unemployed Flonase-dependent Eminem wannabe who can't string an intelligible sentence together or name kids for shit.

Thank you!  This made me LOL, and I needed it today.   :pb_lol:

Okay, continue snarking!

5 hours ago, foreign fundie said:

<snip>

They are cookie cutter boys looking for cookie cutter girls, with incredably predictable testimonies, who tell their cookie cutter love stories on their cookie cutter webpages full of cookie cutter pictures with cookie cutter in-laws. 

Of course, since they are real people, somehow they have real feelings, which will be surpressed by fundie expectations and the happy show front until they surface in some ugly way. 

And that is the first thing I thought of when I heard he was a football player. Muscle power and the levels of testosterone and aggression necessary to be a prof, in combination with extreme patriarchy, and a 'meek, humble' girl with a background of abuse, that is not a combination I feel comfortable with. Really hope he will only use those muscles to protect her.

<snip>

He is a PASTOR. Someone who has to give marriage counseling, guides people through grieve and crises, and he asks Ben for advice on a girl? He may be 28. But when I met my DH, who was much younger then, he did not need any such advice. 

If he would have courted her without jumping on the Counting On band wagon, would have kept his real digital life visible and showed some authenticity, I may have had hope. So far, he checks all the wrong boxes.

I totally agree that there are some red flags here, but I don't see the "cookie cutter" testimony or "cookie cutter" courtship language as necessarily a sign that he is insincere.  I know a lot of fundie-lite people, a lot of born-again Baptists and self-righteous Church of Christ folks.  Many of them, especially the young people, talk like that, especially when they think you may judge them.  Sometimes it is hypocrisy, but other times it is the only language that they feel safe using to talk about what the rest of us describe in different terms.

"She has a passion for Christ and a servant's heart" may just mean, "She not only looked hot and came from a famous family but she was not snooty." "We had long conversations about glorifying the Lord" may mean that she was a good listener and supportive of his dreams. "I got to see his/her heart was for Jesus" could mean s/he shared your religious views, etc.

Within (beneath?) the cliches there may be real feeling.  I am not saying there always is, but that we shouldn't assume that there isn't.   Romantic attraction in our world has to be expressed in a way that focuses on the individual.  But in their world, too much attention to the individual outside his/her role in a patriarchal Christ-praising hierarchy is suspect.  He cannot say, "Wow, this girl is not stupid in spite of her education, and she is a lot sweeter than her sister, and I like the way she looks up to me and thinking of getting my hands on her body and kissing her makes me horny."  He cannot say that she will be "fun" to marry or that he thinks she may have a mischievous, eye-rolling private side to her that he'd like to spend his life with.   Whatever he really thinks, whatever really attracts him, he has to say the conventional, Christian things, not what we would consider an expression of real feeling.

Do I think there is a great love story here?  I don't know what to think.  He is a fundie pastor and everything each of them says is overlaid with a kind of religiosity that I find suspect. But I am not discounting that this could be a genuine relationship.  Like Jill and Derick, they could end up being well-matched.  And there is just a possibility that he will help her feel less "unworthy" and "sinful."  

As for his consulting Ben and Jessa, that made perfect sense to me.  He wasn't asking Ben's counsel as a "man of God."  He was asking for counsel from the man who had successfully married the sister of the girl he had his eye on.   He was, indirectly, letting the family (and Jinger) know his interest.

My son is almost four years younger than his sister, but because he was involved in fairly advanced computer geek stuff in his early teens, he had a number of friends who were in their early twenties when the kid was barely in his teens.  More than once, after they met her, they would ask him for "advice" about his sister and how to approach her (and, when she was under 18, us).  I always assumed that a 21-year-old was "asking relationship advice" of a 13 or 14-year-old because the 13- or 14- year-old had an "in" with the object of his interest.

So I don't think there is anything odd about Jeremy asking "advice" about Jinger.

The real question, of course is whether he is attracted for the right reasons (she is a person he understands and likes as well as lusts after) and whether she is attracted to him for the right reasons.  I don't think we can know that.  This family is very good at displaying what they want you to see and no more.

Let's hope that he is, at least, Mr. Right Now for Jinger and that he will take her enough away from the Duggars that if he pulls a Joshley Madison on her, she will make use of her biblical right to divorce.  Let's hope that if there isn't the best kind of love between them, what they have will grow and she will have found a partner for life.

But even if it doesn't work out, there is more hope for Jinger than for Jana right now.  No matter how bad the marriage may turn out to be, those girls need to get away from being dependent daughters.

I do have to give a shoutout to Jinger for not exactly lying about this relationship.

When she was interviewed on the show she just said she didn't want to talk about it or "no comment"
At least it wasn't Jill "no none of us are courting!" with Johannah in the background going "jill is courting"

1 hour ago, barbecutie said:

That's because Boob and Nutchelle need Jana to raise their children, the TTH would be reduced to a smoking pile of rubble without her. OF COURSE, she's always saying she loves "helping out" with her siblings and that she is still "waiting" for God to introduce a worthy man into her life, but we all know Jim Boob isn't letting any suitor within a 10-mile radius of her. The man and Michelle have grown accustomed to a certain lifestyle and like hell they're giving that up now.

If a relationship is Jana's goal, I wonder how that will happen? How will she meet anyone? Where? Walmart checker when she has 6 little kids in tow doing the weekly shopping?  I am firmly in the camp that Jana cannot move on with her life until those 6 youngest kids are more independently functional. I don't think Joy has the temperament to go it alone and we all know that Michelle isn't going back to FT parenting of a 13, 12, 10.5, 9, 7.5 and 6.5 year olds. JB has always been rather useless in the helping dept and GMM seems to have flown the coop.

49 minutes ago, felinefundie said:

I feel this so much. I'm from Nevada and everyone always assumes that means Las Vegas. I've been to Vegas maybe twice in my life and only once that I remember. It's something like a seven hour drive from my hometown to Vegas. 

OMG. I was JUST about to post this! I live in Northern Nevada and most people up here can't stand Las Vegas. I moved here from California and still have never been. Now I'm curious about where you were though, because 1000 people seems rather small!

Michael K. has posted about Jinger courting over on dlisted:

http://dlisted.com/2016/06/21/jinger-duggar-has-officially-began-her-transformation-into-her-familys-new-baby-popping-machine/#comments

My favorite quote about courting:    Courting” is at the top of the list of words that make me heave along with “CROCS,” “Uggs,” “moist,” “shingles,” “taxes” and “Kardashian.”

56 minutes ago, nickelodeon said:

Stupid tabloid theory: JB gave Big Daddy permission to ~get to know~ Jinger while she was already ~getting to know~ Lawson, which is like the fundie brat version of adultery. Heart pieces everywhere!! There you go, Hollywood Life, you're welcome.

This is the worst of all courtships ro me. Jinger ending up with a potentially abusive potentially gay defenitly too old fundi is just sad.  Lawson is as fundi as she is but I could see both of them beeing happy together.  I really would love to know what happened between the two of them. I could imagine Lawson  beeing yo self  confident and waiting too long with not comitting. 

36 minutes ago, quiverofdoubt said:

I've heard people say things like that before. Always cracks me up. The US is big, geographically speaking. Very big.  It's easy to lose perspective on that.  From what i've seen/understood about the east coast is that things are a bit closer together. Driving more than 30 mins or an hour for something isn't all that common, and it only takes a few hours or half a day to get to another state.  I live in the southwest, and driving 2 hours to get to a walmart isn't uncommon.  Or 20 minutes to visit a close neighbor.   My parents live in california and regularly drive 30-40 minutes each way just to get to the gym, and they live in a heavily populated area.  

I had a friend who grew up in Paris and it bothered her so much when she came to California because she was used to driving a few hours and going through a couple of countries. 8 hours of driving (for us north or south!) and you were still in California! She couldn't take it!

• SpoonfulOSugar locked this topic

Archived