IGNORED

JinJer 2: Courting, she did ride

dawbs

14 hours ago, doubleT said:

After reading the blog about how JinJer came to be, it really surprises me that when Jer visited Ben & Jessa and met the Duggars that he was not pushed more toward Jana.  They are much closer in age and Jana is every bit as sweet and heart full of God as Jinger.  :my_huh: 

That's because Boob and Nutchelle need Jana to raise their children, the TTH would be reduced to a smoking pile of rubble without her. OF COURSE, she's always saying she loves "helping out" with her siblings and that she is still "waiting" for God to introduce a worthy man into her life, but we all know Jim Boob isn't letting any suitor within a 10-mile radius of her. The man and Michelle have grown accustomed to a certain lifestyle and like hell they're giving that up now.

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has he yet used that all-time popular catch phrase, "purpose to"?

I sorta lost faith in Derrick being unique and pleasantly different when he started saying it.

I just can't imagine praying and consulting family and friends before deciding to date someone...  It makes these people seem emotionally stunted.  You meet someone and you're attracted the them either physically, mentally or both, you talk, and if the interest is mutual, you get to know them.  The activities and speed obviously vary from person to person.  Why they make entering into a relationship some sort of cosmic event is beyond me.

This is coming from a Catholic raised, non-confirmed, non-denominational, non-church attending Christian.

11 minutes ago, MorningMist said:

In no disrespect at all, I see a few people mentioning that JerBear could be gay and, as someone who works in a gay bar, I wouldn't be surprised at all if he randomly walked in there one day. I do get that vibe from him. This is just going off of first impressions though, Counting On may prove me to be completely wrong.

He wouldn't be the first fundie who's closeted but courts a girl to try and conceal his true feelings.  TFDW anyone?

I think it will be hard for her, as she has probably seldom in her life been alone living with all of those people, to live in a house just her and PastorHusband. Unless she makes his congregation sort of a family. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe she will love it. 

8 hours ago, quiversR4hunting said:

I live on the opposite side of the state from a city that gets a lot of press. I lived in that area for 10 months. I hated it, I didn't like the traffic and houses on top of each other but what I hated the most was the people thinking that there wasn't anything else in our state besides the big metro area (4.2 million people- 42% of the state population). They stuck their nose up at the entire rest of the state. So these elitist attitudes, as @louisa05 pointed out, are offensive and ignorant. I plan on traveling to all 50 states in my lifetime and I have had a few people say "what are you going to do in North Dakota?" or "What are you going to do in Kansas?" and other "fly over states" And my answer is always, there is always something to do in any of our states, don't discount the state just because it isn't flashy.

Yesss!!!

I grew up in Illinois, southern Illinois to be precise. Since then I've encountered many many people from outside my home town.. I will tell them I'm from Illinois and the FIRST response 95% of the time is "Oh, you are from Chicago?".

... I never said I was from Chicago. The rest of Illinois actually hates Chicago (maybe slight exaggeration). I live 5 hours from Chicago. 

So I just say I'm from the St Louis area since thats 30 minutes from my home town. But then I've had people get confused because "St Louis is in Missouri." 

5 minutes ago, Bushes of Love said:

The city talk is making me laugh. In the UK a 200,000 population would be huge. I live bang in the middle of 3 large UK cities (Manchester-510,000, Leeds-764,000 and Sheffield-563,000) they are counted as massive cities. The city I grew up in (Durham) has a population around 50,000 and it's still considered big.

haha same in Spain i live in a city with around 200k population and even if its not Barcelona its big, it has everything living in a city can offer. But here anything with more than 10k its considered a city, maybe it's diferent in the states tho.

12 minutes ago, Bushes of Love said:

The city talk is making me laugh. In the UK a 200,000 population would be huge. I live bang in the middle of 3 large UK cities (Manchester-510,000, Leeds-764,000 and Sheffield-563,000) they are counted as massive cities. The city I grew up in (Durham) has a population around 50,000 and it's still considered big.

You literally must live so close to me...:pb_eek:

Just now, MorningMist said:

You literally must live so close to me...:pb_eek:

Barnsley.

6 minutes ago, Fundie Bunny said:

Wait, when did we get to the conclusion that he is totally gay?

There was something upthread/other thread about him being kicked out of his first college for homosexual activity.  (that's how I remember it, I didn't read the link if there was one).   It ratcheted up from there.

2 minutes ago, Fundie Bunny said:

Wait, when did we get to the conclusion that he is totally gay?

A comment on People magazine. They claimed that Jeremy transferred to Syracuse  because his parents thought he was becoming too close to a male friend. That doesn't make sense :shrug:

Also Jeremy or his father preach about saving men from homosexuality. I guess some people think that means Jeremy is gay???

The impression that I got was that Jeremy got his BA from the first college and then went to Syracuse to get his masters. Cant remember which article/source I got that from.

Nevermind. I guess people article says he transferred for his senior year. 

3 hours ago, Fundie Bunny said:

Seriously, with 200,000 people Laredo is NOT a big city by any meas. It will be close to a walmart, and that's it

I live in my province's capital city. Our population is about 194K

To be a city, you need to have a population of 5K. That's it. So Laredo is a decent sized city to me. 

Just now, MorningMist said:

Wakefield. Hey neighbour!

Awesome, so the next town along!

I was in Wakefield the other week seeing the Levellers. It's nice to know that FJ has a West Yorkshire/South Yorkshire contingent.

1 hour ago, Audrey2 said:

I'm having a hard time snarking on Laredo, except that it's in a part of the country I wouldn't care to live in. I visited Spokane, WA last summer for WorldCon and discovered what a charming city it is. It seems to have fewer traffic problems than the major city in which I live, while having shopping options, cultural events, and the educational opportunities offered by a good school (Gonzaga).  (By opportunities, I mean sports options, lectures, and events in addition to classes.)My own bias is that I wouldn't want to live in a place again without a decent university or other educational opportunities, but, to someone from Tontitown who has just studied at SODRT, the educational part wouldn't be important, and it's a real city.

Yeah, I'm an Alpha World City girl all the way (born/worked in New York, lived in Shanghai, Beijing, and London, working on job apps that might keep me in London or send me to Hong Kong, New York, DC, or possibly Bangkok or Singapore...or Shanghai again), but I won't knock a city just for being smaller/less on the world stage. I quite like smaller cities, actually. Inverness is absolutely beautiful and has everything you could need with regard to conveniences (plus it's cheaper than London by a long shot), Dali, Baoshan, and Kunming in southwestern China are all great cities (though Kunming is a gigantic city by rest-of-world standards and a bit small by Chinese standards -- consider the fact that Shanghai is inching up to having twice the population of New York), Worcester, MA is pretty nice, and Trier, Germany is also lovely. Those are all just small-ish cities I've visited or spent a significant amount of time in, and honestly, if the right job in any of those places came my way, I'd move there, my undying love of gigantic global economic/political hubs be damned. All I really require in a city is walkability and/or decent public transportation (preferably both), a good job, and interesting stuff to do/eat/buy.

10 minutes ago, MorningMist said:

Wakefield. Hey neighbour!

My Dad's side of the family come from Wakefield...........

Although I live in the land of cabbages myself (Lincolnshire) ;)

I grew up in a town of 3.5k, I was so deliriously happy to move to a city where the Uni campus was twice as big as my hometown I can't tell you (Ahh........ the ability to get drunk without fear of it getting back to your parents)

6 hours ago, CoveredInBees said:

*cough* I'll admit I did ;) It's very small

(also when I googled the address, it brought up pics on a home valuation site that showed it before it was extended - so it's probably a fairly recent build)

I probably need to get a hobby.

Sounds like FJ is your hobby--and that of many of us. ;) 

I live rurally, my "city" listed on my address is twenty minutes from me, and technically a village (less than 300 people).  The closest city to us is 30 minutes away, with a population of around 20k.  The biggest city in my state is two hours from me and has a population under 600k and is the biggest in my state.   Size is relative and not everyone who doesn't live in chicago or new york are uncultured hicks. 

Texas is a huge state and everything is very spread out. In the southwest you get used to long drives to everything. 2 hours to go shopping isn't far from normal at all for me.  So laredo may not be big by many on  fj's standards, but it may also be considered normal to drive a distance to a bigger area to go to a show, a concert, sports event etc.

1 minute ago, EmCatlyn said:

Sounds like FJ is your hobby--and that of many of us. ;) 

True.

I tried crochet, but it's not the same ;) 

15 hours ago, doubleT said:

After reading the blog about how JinJer came to be, it really surprises me that when Jer visited Ben & Jessa and met the Duggars that he was not pushed more toward Jana.  They are much closer in age and Jana is every bit as sweet and heart full of God as Jinger.  :my_huh: 

Maybe Jana didn't want him OR vice versa?

I honestly don't think it works that way. I don't think JB  picks their spouses( I'm sure he has to approve their courtships :roll:). Ben sought out Jessa, Jill and Derick seem like a "perfect" match, and Jeremy says Jinger caught his eye.

5 minutes ago, Kira said:

I honestly don't think it works that way I don't think JB  picks their spouses( I'm sure he has to approve their courtships :roll:). Ben sought out Jessa, Jill and Derick seem like a "perfect" match, and Jeremy says Jinger caught his eye.

I think Jana wasn't into it. I can't see her being drawn to an ambitious, spotlight-loving "pretty boy". Jinger, bless her heart, probably just wants someone who will love her -- I think any more specific preferences have gone by the wayside, considering how unworthy she feels. :(

4 minutes ago, Kira said:

Oh god. The Rodrigii method- offer up 2 girls and have the guy pick. <ugh>

26 minutes ago, Diana said:

But here anything with more than 10k its considered a city, maybe it's diferent in the states tho.

No not really. Just some in the mega cities (as I call them- they have a big city center then a metro area that has different names but still touch each other- no differentiation between city limits besides a sign-look at a map of Chicago, Detroit or Dallas for examples) think all cities must be 500k or 1 million people to qualify as a city. But as many point out, there is culture, shopping and eating in all cities of different sizes.

13 minutes ago, CoveredInBees said:

My Dad's side of the family come from Wakefield...........

Although I live in the land of cabbages myself (Lincolnshire) ;)

I grew up in a town of 3.5k, I was so deliriously happy to move to a city where the Uni campus was twice as big as my hometown I can't tell you (Ahh........ the ability to get drunk without fear of it getting back to your parents)

I just moved to a city for uni myself... My mind was blown at how big it all was 

• SpoonfulOSugar locked this topic

Archived