IGNORED

JinJer 2: Courting, she did ride

dawbs

I believe I read he finished his BA at Hartwick and transferred to Syracuse to work on a masters in Econ. Sports-eligibility wise he was playing as a senior at Syracuse. He probably redshirted as a freshman. 

This is why I don't buy the gay bs. It sounds like someone said earlier - when someone doesn't like someone the first thing they do is call them gay. Lame. And frankly it pisses me off. Stop using gay as an insult. There is no evidence whatsoever that he is gay, just people thinking their "gaydar" qualifies as such. 

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, karen77 said:

because she isn't officially engaged. None of the girls got insta accounts until engagment (or in Jessa's case, just a few weeks prior I think)

I looked out of curiosity. Jessa's first post was May 26, 2014 - just about five months before the wedding and a little less than three before they were engaged (if I remember correctly, this was August 15 - about 5 days before Jill and Derick announced she was pregnant through People, which was likely photographed and planned for a few weeks before.) It must have been around the time Bin sold his soul and moved to the TTH.

Jill's first post was May 14, 2014. Just over a month before their wedding and maybe two months after the courtship and engagement reveals were made.

Only one who had access from the start was Josiah. No clue why, but he doesn't seem to use his account much anymore.

I'm guessing she'll get access to social media sometime soon, likely after an engagement announcement. The relationship is public now, so they likely feel pretty confident about it lasting.

2 hours ago, amendgitan said:

Man. Where is this video? I saw the one where he's talking about how Christians need to be mindless, Stepford wife-type robots with zero identity. Just blind, frightening fanatics for Christ. But I didn't sense anything super creepy out of that ordinary frightening fanaticism we see from these nuts. 

So sad. Jinger. The one whose spunk and eye-rolling gave rise to hope that she could and would want to break free. 

I never thought, though, that she was anything other than a fundie synchophant. I have never had a lot of hope that any of the kids in these families would be likely to leave the "faith".   They all seem so entrenched. So I'm sadly, not too surprised. 

I also want to say that I'm very sad for Jana. In their culture, as you all well know, a woman's worth is in her ovaries. Her status is determined by who her husband is and how many kids she has. 

And so as the years go by, any natural inclination or talent or desire or anything other than, with the narrow exceptions of possibly home-based craft businesses ("I make candles for Christ!), or the writer of cute books about being a SAHD, or maybe, if their parents are super liberal, an assistant to the assistant to a doula, or a private piano teacher to children, any such inclination or desire or talent is squashed and snuffed out, as these women learn their place and how limited their horizons are.

So poor Jana, who by all accounts was a vibrant, strong-willed child who got her personality "trained" out of her by a rod, and has likely seen any natural interest she may have had in a real education or a profession, or even recreation that involves physical prowess, now has to sit quietly by and watch her one and only chance at status and at something other than being the patient family drudge, fade away with the years. 

It's tragic. 

I can't remember which video gave me this impression the most. It started with the testimony video linked in the first thread, and even from that I did get that "controlled" sense from him, but he has other videos that were in the sidebar on youtube and I just started going through them. So I can't point any specific place, but more just watching him overall gives me that controlling/hiding something/detached vibe that makes me a little worried. It could be as benign as preaching something he isn't truly convicted of (we can only hope, for Jinger's sake), I'm not saying he is definitely evil or anything. Just that his mannerisms and his presence gives me some kind of feeling, like it could be a threatening or creepy vibe that is low-key enough that I think someone like Jinger, who was abused and grew up in an emotionally controlling environment, might not pick up on to be concerned or to try to learn more about him on that kind of level.

And given that he was looking for a "meek" and submissive wife and that he is very fundie, well, that kind of controlled nature and those attributes kind of spell trouble to me. I'm not saying it couldn't turn out great (for fundies) and whatever it is that comes off so insincere or even deceptive in his youtube videos has a perfectly harmless explanation, just that he raises a lot of flags for me and in a way that other fundie courters we have seen have not.

I think other people have said they see it too, but others have said they don't. I think it'll become more clear as we see more of him, since we don't have a lot to go on yet.

Just now, Kaylo said:

I believe I read he finished his BA at Hartwick and transferred to Syracuse to work on a masters in Econ. Sports-eligibility wise he was playing as a senior at Syracuse. He probably redshirted as a freshman. 

I don't know how eligibility works in the US College system, but in Canada in the CIS, I had 5 years of eligibility, and could red shirt one year. If I switched schools, I would have to sit out a year before I could compete again. I believe this is the case with the US system, because I believe an exception was made for those players who left Penn State after the sanctions were exempt from this rule because the situation was not of their making. 

7 hours ago, Gillyweed said:

Can they hire you as the wedding planner instead of Sierra?

That would be fun! I would need a lot of help from all of you though. We could show them how to party! All good clean fun of course.:my_biggrin:

5 hours ago, devoe364 said:

I don't know how eligibility works in the US College system, but in Canada in the CIS, I had 5 years of eligibility, and could red shirt one year. If I switched schools, I would have to sit out a year before I could compete again. I believe this is the case with the US system, because I believe an exception was made for those players who left Penn State after the sanctions were exempt from this rule because the situation was not of their making. 

So I looked up Hartwick. They have a three year BA program and no masters degree programs. So, if he graduated in three years he wouldn't have the option of using his fourth year of eligibility at Hartwick. I'd guess the NCAA let him transfer without having to wait a year. 

I have seen people transfer and not have to wait a year for lesser reasons.

After looking into it more, I think he was going to graduate mid-year his senior year so the NCAA let him transfer to Syracuse, finish up there, and start a masters program so that he could play his last full year.  He didn't finish the masters, I think it was probably just started so he could finish his last season.

14 minutes ago, twinmama said:

I'm probably kind of snobby I admit. I think of it as having higher standards lol My dad grew up in Greenwich (though in a tiny house with a security man for a father, not the fancy rich people mansions Greenwich tends to be known for), so that's probably why I think of CT as a lot of snobs. Also because we lived in New Canaan for a few years (again, in a tiny apartment, not on an estate), also another fancy pants place.

Yeah, the Greenwich area is interesting to say the least. I grew up closer to Bridgeport - still snobby, but not quite as bad. Now I live half an hour away. People are less snobby, but some of them are definitely more overtly racist. If I had to choose, I'd take the snobs over the racists - at least the snobs are mildly entertaining at times.

3 hours ago, nausicaa said:

Yes, the way this plays out interests me a lot. Jessa already seems to be seeing the error of her ways in rushing into marriage with the first guy who made the blood rush to her bathing suit parts. However I think her happiness with Spurge tempers any anger a bit--for now.

But if Jinger gets the whole Fundie package, and lives independently of the family and with financial stability and social standing, I wonder how Jessa will deal with resentment and bitterness with her decisions as her life is thrown in sharp contrast to Jinger's.

And ITA that he seems much more Jessa's type than Jinger's. Let's be real, for women in these families, courting has a 19th century economic angle. I can't believe Jessa-- beautiful, pragmatic, and assertive-- blew her chance on an unemployed Flonase-dependent Eminem wannabe who can't string an intelligible sentence together or name kids for shit.

Sorry I can't figure out snipping. Love " who made blood rush to her bathing suit parts"!!!!!!

16 minutes ago, Kaylo said:

This is why I don't buy the gay bs. It sounds like someone said earlier - when someone doesn't like someone the first thing they do is call them gay. Lame. And frankly it pisses me off. Stop using gay as an insult. There is no evidence whatsoever that he is gay, just people thinking their "gaydar" qualifies as such. 

THANK YOU.

Now, I'm sure there's no shortage of closeted fundie guys and girls out there, but it annoys me when people instantly jump to "this guy/girl is totes gay", especially if they are awkward around the opposite sex or aren't masculine/feminine enough (or are too masculine/feminine and thus totally overcompensating for teh gay). And after seeing fundie preachers express solidarity with an avowed ISIS sympathizer because he committed the worst and most public act of homophobic hatred pretty much ever, I honestly don't wish being gay and fundie on anyone.

35 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Yeah, the Greenwich area is interesting to say the least. I grew up closer to Bridgeport - still snobby, but not quite as bad. Now I live half an hour away. People are less snobby, but some of them are definitely more overtly racist. If I had to choose, I'd take the snobs over the racists - at least the snobs are mildly entertaining at times.

Let me guess -- Derby/Ansonia area?

1 hour ago, twinmama said:

Odd question, but they're all so sheltered would Jinger even have any idea if he's gay and hiding it? I doubt they have highly evolved gaydar (which I don't even like as it is really just pointing out stereotypes). I suppose if the newlywed months don't involve a ton of sex they may pick up on something being wrong, but my bet is the girl always assumes it's her fault. Though I also wonder where this idea even came from!

Did he go to a crazy fundie school?? I thought someone said Hartwick was a liberal place??

True gaydar has nothing to do with pointing out stereotypes.  I feel the word/concept has become overused and abused.   My gaydar will ping with even the most non-stereotypical people.

He's the pastor of a tiny church and believes that he can "save" gay men.

1. How will he support Jinger (and subsequent offspring) on the salary of a pastor of a tiny church? Does he have a second job? Is he counting on (heh) Boob to supplement his income?

2. By "saving" is it safe to assume that Jeremy thinks that when a gay man finds Jesus he will miraculously turn heterosexual? Why focus a ministry on this? The "conversion" rate must be very poor. And what about lesbians? Why no effort to "save" them?

That is def his sister's Facebook page, she posted a pic of her and her brothers for sibling day, and is apparently a violin teacher who is here in Philadelphia a lot. It appears that right now she is in Cape May, NJ with her pants wearing mother, and I'm jealous because that is one beautiful town! Looks like the brother is a film maker?  Just from stalking sister's page, she doesn't seem to be very fundy at all...

We just moved from central CT- more rural, fewer snobs. :) More racists though.

Like you, I'll take the snobs!

5 minutes ago, Seven Severn said:

2. By "saving" is it safe to assume that Jeremy thinks that when a gay man finds Jesus he will miraculously turn heterosexual? Why focus a ministry on this? The "conversion" rate must be very poor. And what about lesbians? Why no effort to "save" them?

To be fair, I don't know much about Jeremy, nor am I sure about IBLP in this regard, but I know some fundie flavors really believe women have no independent sex drive. So they can pretty safely ignore lesbians, who have just been tempted by the devil to do unnatural things, because naturally women don't seek out or need the same kind of physical affection. I would imagine saving lesbians is just saving the person in general, whereas gay men need special saving because of their lustful hearts or something.

Some of this is extrapolation, but some of this is things actual fundies have actually said to me. Like that lesbians don't really experience lust or desire they just experience the call of Satan. 

15 minutes ago, Seven Severn said:

He's the pastor of a tiny church and believes that he can "save" gay men.

1. How will he support Jinger (and subsequent offspring) on the salary of a pastor of a tiny church? Does he have a second job? Is he counting on (heh) Boob to supplement his income?

1. I'm sure Jeremy is "counting on" Counting On supplementing his income. He'll probably be "convicted" to give up the church plant in Laredo and move to Tonitown to work on the Duggars' "ministry."

2. It seems that a lot of fundies think that lesbianism is the natural result of some combination of feminism, wearing pants, working outside the home, and getting an education, so by removing all of these as options, no fundie females will ever be lesbian.

ETA I've noticed that the kinds of "cures" fundies offer for being LGBT involves basically forcing the person to do really gender stereotypical activities with other fundies who are of the same sex. I remember reading about this sort of "therapy" in the National Catholic Register, and I'm sure conservative Catholics can't be alone in this sort of thinking.

I don't know how much Jinger will change after marriage because Jill didn't start wearing pants or consider other schooling options for Israel, and Derick and Dan attended public school. Plus Cathy wears pants. Ben's sisters also wear pants and one of them has a boyfriend, and that probably won't influence Jessa's ideas for her children's upbringing.

Just realized that it might be good for Jinger to be marrying into an artistic family -- his mother teaches violin, his sister plays violin in a band, and his brother works in the film industry in MA. At the very least, they will likely encourage her photography, as it's a pretty safe fundie-approved career/hobby for a woman.

1 minute ago, season of life said:

I don't know how much Jinger will change after marriage because Jill didn't start wearing pants or consider other schooling options for Israel, and Derick and Dan attended public school. Plus Cathy wears pants. Ben's sisters also wear pants and one of them has a boyfriend, and that probably won't influence Jessa's ideas for her children's upbringing.

Probably the only lifestyle change for Jinger is going to see soccer games and  watching whatever super hero movies Jermey likes. Hopefully though she will have cable so Jer can ensure he will still have his ESPN. It would be mighty hard to not be tempted to check out sitcoms or other reality shows during those first few months of marriage before the baby comes. If they live anywhere near the TTH they will likely try to keep a duggarling in her house to keep her busy and for spying purposes. 

3 minutes ago, trisprefect said:

Just realized that it might be good for Jinger to be marrying into an artistic family -- his mother teaches violin, his sister plays violin in a band, and his brother works in the film industry in MA. At the very least, they will likely encourage her photography, as it's a pretty safe fundie-approved career/hobby for a woman.

Jinger plays the violin too, well Amazing Grace I guess 

2 hours ago, Kira said:

Some random questions and thoughts:

1. Why isn't Jinger on social media?!?!?! I found a jingervuolo twitter account, buy it mostly follows Oklahoma sports.

2. Does Jeremy have siblings?

3. I also can't wait to see the dress and colors Jinger picks, but what I really want to see is the wedding registry :pb_lol:

4. So.... was Jinger skyping with  Jeremy at Carlin and Trace's party? Another rumor is that Jana left the party to meet someone in Alabama. There were a lot of conflicting reports about the Duggar girls behavior at the party. At the time I wondered if people attending the party had to sign an non-disclosure agreement.

Concerning #4, I think it was said in a fan website that Jinger was skyping with Jill. And yes, there was a lot of confusion and talk on how they were acting and about where they were going next. I remember reading about fans who had met the girls say that they looked real shy, uncomfortable and standoffish. With Alabama, someone said that they had to go meet someone. However, people were saying that it was just a madeup rumor since they were still in Tennessee the next day as they can be seen in pictures at the Bates' church. Other people said that the girls or the whole family were going to Alabama but for an engagement and I think thats where the rumors stopped.

so we are learning that we get an All about Jinger episode - Buzzard will have a field day 

can you imagine that episode - endless blank stares, Jessa going on and on about Jinger and her photography and that she can sell cars and is organized 

i am in the camp they are engaged and it will be announced in August in time for the new season in September and the wedding will be in December -which will be shown in March in time for Jill to give birth 

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

I looked out of curiosity. Jessa's first post was May 26, 2014 - just about five months before the wedding and a little less than three before they were engaged (if I remember correctly, this was August 15 - about 5 days before Jill and Derick announced she was pregnant through People, which was likely photographed and planned for a few weeks before.) It must have been around the time Bin sold his soul and moved to the TTH.

Jill's first post was May 14, 2014. Just over a month before their wedding and maybe two months after the courtship and engagement reveals were made.

Only one who had access from the start was Josiah. No clue why, but he doesn't seem to use his account much anymore.

I'm guessing she'll get access to social media sometime soon, likely after an engagement announcement. The relationship is public now, so they likely feel pretty confident about it lasting.

probably because he's a guy, and wouldn't have to change his name :)

The only way Jinger would even have ANY option at all to wear pants is if she moved away from the compound. It probably won't happen at all ever but if she moved away, things could change over time.

We are evil for making Buzzard sit through another episode when it comes.

• SpoonfulOSugar locked this topic

Archived