IGNORED

Anna & the M Kids – Part 7

FundieFarmer

Miss no. 2 called me from school after watching a program on factory farming and stated she wanted to be vegetarian.  We talked about a balanced diet and extra sources of protein etc.. She lasted 6 days.

It is her turn to cook on a Wednesday and she has made this vege night so she feels like she is contributing to a healthy planet.

Husband complains every Wednesday, and gets himself a meat pie if he does not want what is cooked.  His version of vegetarian is bacon and egg on top of a veggie burger.  The roster is on the kitchen door, he can only blame himself if he does not consult it.

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Percy said:

Miss no. 2 called me from school after watching a program on factory farming and stated she wanted to be vegetarian.  We talked about a balanced diet and extra sources of protein etc.. She lasted 6 days.

It is her turn to cook on a Wednesday and she has made this vege night so she feels like she is contributing to a healthy planet.

Husband complains every Wednesday, and gets himself a meat pie if he does not want what is cooked.  His version of vegetarian is bacon and egg on top of a veggie burger.  The roster is on the kitchen door, he can only blame himself if he does not consult it.

Mr. Denim jumper was similar: for years he'd bitch if it was a meatless dinner night. Last I checked, he is more than capable of cooking up a piece of meat, so why it is an issue, I don't know. Then last summer he had a speaking engagement out of town and wanted the kids and I to go along. Money was tight, so the only way we could afford to pay for the extra lodging and food would be to trim the grocery budget for a couple of months; I slyly suggested cutting out meat. Homeboy ended up dropping 20 pounds, and after we got home from the trip he declared that we should have vegetarian meals 4 days per week from now on.

My DH is an incredibly picky eater. He loathes most fruits and vegetables, and his diet is heavy on starches, meat and convenience foods. It makes cooking difficult around here, because his palate is so limited. 

Granted, I'm not much better myself, but I do make the effort to eat fruits/vegetables at least a few times a week (and yes, I know that's not often enough...baby steps). 

I'm also of the belief that he's a grown man and it's not my job to police what he puts in his mouth. However, we split grocery costs, and I have considered saying I will no longer spend my own money on junk/convenience food, just to see if he continues buying it with his own cash. Because that stuff gets pretty expensive.

On 8/23/2016 at 4:22 AM, imokit said:

I did medical school with a lot of religious Jews.  As students they left early on Friday to be home before dark (in Winter it gets dark by 4pm so they'd leave pretty early). They would never do out of hours on Saturday.  When asked how they were going to cope with work, apparently if you're actively preserving life you're exempted from Shabbat.  Learning how to do so on the other hand, doesn't count.

These people wouldn't take notes/do projects etc on Shabbat either.  Some of them were highlight things and read text books but that's it in terms of revision - no active stuff. :confusion-shrug:

Religious rules don't make sense what ever the religion.

There's always exceptions to the rules. I can call Hatzolah (the orthodox EMT volunteer EMT service) on a Saturday and the ambulance will arrive in minutes. There's people on duty all the time. Tons of doctors that are on call Shabbat too. But they have to talk to the rabbi first. Mostly it's just procedural for appearances. A rabbi will never say no to a religious Jewish doctor working Shabbat,

10 hours ago, Percy said:

My sister tried to be a vegetarian. All she did was eat bread. And with so many meat-lovers in the house, her diet was doomed from the start.

1 hour ago, season of life said:

My sister tried to be a vegetarian. All she did was eat bread. And with so many meat-lovers in the house, her diet was doomed from the start.

This is timely for me.  For my vegetarian man-child I've been trying to come up with different meals so he doesn't live on veggie burgers and his limited types of acceptable fruit and veg.  

Tonight is my first attempt at tofu - wish me luck!  If you vegetarians have recipes to share head over to quiver full of food...or even more awesome if you want to post on Feed Jinger - our food blog just let me know and I'll hook you up with the permissions.

I may blog my first foray into coconut curry tofu which may well be an epic disaster.   :) 

Anyway sorry to hijack so to get back in topic...

Smuggar sucks.

I usually have grilled chicken breast as part of my meals since they are usually are a part of my salad dinners. The rest of my family eats chicken or goat. We eat free-range/natural/local/etc. chicken all the time so that how I justify not being a vegetarian :pb_razz: (I kid, I have my select of few veggies and the majority of vegetarians that I know eat seafood which I'm allergic to fish/ I'm also not the biggest fan of shell fish). My sister has tried to be vegan but since my parents are eastern African you basically have some type of meat at least for every dinner.

Also those documentary about animal treatment reminds me when me and my Argentine friend watched in health class and while everyone was so grossed out and determined right then they were a vegetarian me and her were like "well, can't wait for some form of chicken/steak tonight for dinner!"

Im a vegeterian. I started when i was a teen but i wasnt eating properly so it didnt last maybe more than a year. Now i know better and make sure to eat a wide variety of foods. I do it for health& ethical reasons. Hubby still eats meat but he will eat meatless meals no problem. Being a vegeterian has definetly made me more creative cooking wise.lol

4 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

This is timely for me.  For my vegetarian man-child I've been trying to come up with different meals so he doesn't live on veggie burgers and his limited types of acceptable fruit and veg.  

Tonight is my first attempt at tofu - wish me luck!  If you vegetarians have recipes to share head over to quiver full of food...or even more awesome if you want to post on Feed Jinger - our food blog just let me know and I'll hook you up with the permissions.

I may blog my first foray into coconut curry tofu which may well be an epic disaster.   :) 

Smuggar sucks.

@HerNameIsBuffy

Try Indian food!! It's delicious and there are tons of vegetarian options. Hit me up if you want recipes!

9 hours ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

Smuggar sucks.

Mexican food also translates well to vegetarian.  Use black beans, pintos, or lentils instead of meat....add in tons of cut up veggies....onions, peppers, mushrooms, corn, yellow squash or zucchini, sweet potato, white potato, spinach....  then add in chilis and spices, and you can make fajitas, enchiladas, burritos, tacos, quesadillas.....mmmmm.  Now I am hungry....

On 10/15/2016 at 6:26 PM, devoutjedi said:

@HerNameIsBuffy

Try Indian food!! It's delicious and there are tons of vegetarian options. Hit me up if you want recipes!

indian food is amazing. I was a very strict chicken fingers and fries picky eater for the longest time (like 33 yrs) and recently got into indian and ethiopian and afghan food--it's so much more delicious than half of the stuff I wouldn't eat  because it's so heavy on just onions and garlic.  My hubby is a vegetarian (i do still eat meat) but eat tons more veggies now that i'm eating those types of food. 

I've been vegetarian/vegan for almost seventeen years and made the change in my late teens. Like a lot of people, my early veg days were a disaster because I was so accustomed to eating meat that I had no idea what to do with non-meat foods. Even though I've always liked fruits and vegetables, I didn't know what else to eat. These days, I'm quite handy in the kitchen and even my non-veg family members are impressed with my mad skillz. But it didn't happen overnight. "Vegan Lunchbox" by Jennifer McCann is a really good book. Yes, the recipes are aimed at kids' lunchboxes, but they are simple, tasty, and appeal to a wide range of palates. Also, learn to work with beans. Dry beans in particular are a cheap, versatile form of protein. If you have an electric pressure cooker (and everyone should, regardless of diet preference), you can soak the beans overnight, put them in the pressure cooker when you wake up, leave to go to work or school, and then when you come back you can just open the pressure cooker and put the cooked beans in a quick curry or chili sauce.

If you're fixing tofu, get the firmest tofu you can find. Super firm tofu is best, but extra firm tofu is easier to find (silken tofu is an abomination unto the lord). Squeeze as much water out of the tofu block as possible. A tofu press is best, but you can also use large books as well. A good, quick way to fix tofu after you've squeezed the water out is to slice the block into 1/2 inch slabs, and pan fry the slices, about six minutes each side or until the slices are golden brown. Once the slices look nice and crispy, cover them with a sauce or take them out and use them for sandwich fillers. 

I didn't eat meat for 5 years, but recently have gone back to eating some meat.

Thug Kitchen is a really good Vegan book and youtube channel. Lots of swearing, but lots of good food too.

I am really lucky because where I work, the three buildings next to us are all Vege Indian Restaurants. :)

Got a good look at Anna last night. Looks to be about 4 months. So I guess as soon as he got home, they got busy.

Foolish.

1 hour ago, ksgranola1 said:

Got a good look at Anna last night. Looks to be about 4 months. So I guess as soon as he got home, they got busy.

Foolish.

Please tell me that you are joking. 

1 hour ago, ksgranola1 said:

Foolish.

Did you see her in person, or on the show? I'm not sure how many months ago the show was filmed, but if she looked preggers then, she'd really be showing now. Have there been any recent pics of Anna that show her midsection?

36 minutes ago, VeryNikeSeamstress said:

Did you see her in person, or on the show? I'm not sure how many months ago the show was filmed, but if she looked preggers then, she'd really be showing now. Have there been any recent pics of Anna that show her midsection?

The Duggars shared a picture of them on their anniversary. But I don't know if it was actually recent or not. 

thehollywoodgossip.com/2016/10/jill-jessa-and-anna-duggar-all-pregnant-right-now/

And the gossip starts of course! :P 

Ugh, she probably feels a lot of pressure to be even more "joyfully available" to keep Josh from straying again. 

45 minutes ago, freshlemonade said:

Ugh, she probably feels a lot of pressure to be even more "joyfully available" to keep Josh from straying again. 

But she WAS "joyfully available" which is how she wound up pregnant.  It was during the pregnancy that he first wandered online, right?  I dont think he wants "joyful," atleast from his listing. He wants someone who WANTS sex and has thoughts about it.

1 minute ago, Buzzard said:

But she WAS "joyfully available" which is how she wound up pregnant.  It was during the pregnancy that he first wandered online, right?  I dont think he wants "joyful," atleast from his listing. He wants someone who WANTS sex and has thoughts about it.

You're right, she obviously was available (or else no pregnancies).  I guess I'm thinking more along the lines of her feeling pressure to do things outside of her comfort zone, or things that she doesn't want to do but feels like she has to do.  Even just talking about sex might be difficult/uncomfortable for her.

:: facepalm ::

Oh Anna, if you truly are in the family way with blessing #5, I hope everything works out well.

PS: I hope you've been tested.

IF Anna is pregnant and IF she sees an actual doctor, do you suppose that the doctor may test her because he can't help but to have heard about Josh and his extracurricular activities? I think STD/STI testing is normal for pregnant patients. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Just now, Chickenbutt said:

IF Anna is pregnant and IF she sees an actual doctor, do you suppose that the doctor may test her because he can't help but to have heard about Josh and his extracurricular activities? I think STD/STI testing is normal for pregnant patients. Please correct me if I am wrong.

It is part of the initial screening at a DOCTOR.  I dont know about a midwife and I assume that you can decline the testing if you are of that mindset.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived