IGNORED

Counting On- Part 10: Counting out in Central America!

samurai_sarah

7 minutes ago, Jinder Roles said:

Beware: Unpopular Opinion Below!

I don't think we should be too quick to doubt JB on JL's behaviour growing up. Boob is a generally shitty and controlling person but maybe Jimmy Lee did treat his family poorly and was generally irresponsible and unreliable. 

Whenever JB talks about his upbringing he says that his dad did not have a "spiritual focus". That sounds like a euphemism for something more serious to me. And obviously something that had quite a negative impact on Boob (e.g: his excessive cheapness, his controlling behaviour, obsession with no debt in any circumstance). Duggars do have a tendency to exaggerate but they are also prone to minimizing. We really don't know what happened. 

JB profiting off his father's illness was shitty but let's not construe Jimmy Lee into some sort of hero. 

I have no opinion about Jimmy Lee other than that I think he and Mary probably did not have a very good marriage.  But I have a strong opinion about people who use terms like "spiritual focus." Generally these are people who think that some sort of spiritual connection with their idea of God is necessary to be a good person.  Sometimes they mistake the so-called "spiritual focus" for real goodness.

So I don't think lack of "spiritual focus" is a euphemism for anything worse than "drank a few beers on occasion, didn't always go to church though he knew he should, and wasn't interested in listening to young JB expound on his latest reading of the Bible."  (I am not suggesting that JL did any of these things, only giving examples of what JB may have meant.)

You are right that we shouldn't idealize Jimmy Lee just because he spoke up about the quiver getting much too full.   We shouldn't believe that he was all that bad either.  All we really know  is that JB didn't feel close to him and probably did not approve of him.

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Jinder Roles said:

. Duggars do have a tendency to exaggerate but they are also prone to minimizing. We really don't know what happened. 

That's a very good line. There's no middle ground with them, no gray area. Black and white for everything.

20 hours ago, SPHASH said:

I hope they treat him worse, especially Jana, Jill, Jessa, Jinger,Joy, Josiah, Hannie, Jenny, and Jordyn.

Sally sells sea shells by the sea shore.  Oh wait, I thought the thread subject had changed.  :)

I took "lack of spiritual focus" to mean he wasn't a church-goer or maybe even an atheist.

1 hour ago, MoonFace said:

This is from the article: " Since there's been no word on renewing the series, the hashtag "#BringtheDuggarsBack" showed up on social media this week in an effort to get TLC to give it a green light. However, the rumor is that family patriarch Jim Bob Duggar started the campaign himself! "

Who's surprised? Not me.

53 minutes ago, Purrl said:

This is from the article: " Since there's been no word on renewing the series, the hashtag "#BringtheDuggarsBack" showed up on social media this week in an effort to get TLC to give it a green light. However, the rumor is that family patriarch Jim Bob Duggar started the campaign himself! "

Who's surprised? Not me.

THIS! Absolutely unsurprising that Jim Bob himself would try and start that movement. After all, he's 19KAC's biggest fan, not to mention its biggest beneficiary.

8 minutes ago, Tomboy said:

I don't know much about JL but he never was kind or loving to the kids like Mary is.

Free Mary! 

How do you know this?  Do you know the family?

On a random note, I was waiting to see my doctor today and reading all of his outdated magazines. One was the edition talking about the Counting On show where the siblings were interviewed. There was a whole section that listed what each one was up to and made them sound so normal. "Jana does construction and electrical work on houses her family sells." "Joseph spent a year away at college in Tennesse and came back to work with the family business."  No mention of these total grown-ups sharing a bedroom and not being able to date or go on the internet unsupervised. "People" did a great job of normalizing them, even after joshgate. It was just ridiculous. 

On 8.6.2016 at 2:57 AM, BabyBottlePop said:

JB in my opinion has it coming. He's such an arrogant ass. I keep waiting for him to go under financially.

On the one hand I hope he goes under financially ASAP. But at the other hand I have hard wishing that upon them. Not because I like Juterus and Boob, but mainly because it worries me what will happen to their uneducated brood of children. Maybe it forces them to get some kind of education or even a real job, but what about the younger ones? I think their homeskooling will get even worse in a situation like this.

If I were to speculate on the Duggars financial situation, I would guess they are currently fine financially and could possibly be for awhile to come as long as they don't make any crazy stupid financial decision. JB is a cheap so I'm sure they had quite a bit of money saved up in the bank. Also he has properties he can sell off if he needs some quick cash. He also has quite a few adult children that can pitch in. Plus they could write a book that would probably sell and do speaking engagements. I really wouldn't worry too much about them financially just yet. Maybe ask me again 5 years from now. 

3 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

If I were to speculate on the Duggars financial situation, I would guess they are currently fine financially and could possibly be for awhile to come as long as they don't make any crazy stupid financial decision. JB is a cheap so I'm sure they had quite a bit of money saved up in the bank. Also he has properties he can sell off if he needs some quick cash. He also has quite a few adult children that can pitch in. Plus they could write a book that would probably sell and do speaking engagements. I really wouldn't worry too much about them financially just yet. Maybe ask me again 5 years from now. 

I don't know, they stopped being quite so cheap for a while there. They may have blown through some cash, especially once 19KAC stopped and they still wanted to (I assume) maintain a certain standard of living. Feeding all those kids alone is no small task. It's one thing to raise them up on nothing but beans and bread but if you stopped doing that because you had a cash cow, it's harder to go back. ISB, though.

3 minutes ago, OrchidBlossom said:

I don't know, they stopped being quite so cheap for a while there. They may have blown through some cash, especially once 19KAC stopped and they still wanted to (I assume) maintain a certain standard of living. Feeding all those kids alone is no small task. It's one thing to raise them up on nothing but beans and bread but if you stopped doing that because you had a cash cow, it's harder to go back. ISB, though.

I agree that they spent much more after the show got big. But Arkansas is pretty cheap so they could stretch their food budget pretty far if they had to. And they only have 8 kids under the age of 16 so the rest that are still at home can work and contribute monetarily. It will be interesting to see if they start trying to marry them off quickly now that the show is done. 

I checked #BringBackTheDuggars, and I found three tweets(by random accounts) from may/june. I saw a few from last summer. Why do they think JB started the hashtag? Who started the hashtag last summer?

TLC renewed a few shows this week( Log Lost Family, WDYTYA, Cake Boss), but no news about "Counting On" . The Counting On Facebook page posted some deleted scenes last week and TLC made a video for Jill's birthday. I don't know why they haven't announced anything yet :shrug: .

1 hour ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I agree that they spent much more after the show got big. But Arkansas is pretty cheap so they could stretch their food budget pretty far if they had to. And they only have 8 kids under the age of 16 so the rest that are still at home can work and contribute monetarily. It will be interesting to see if they start trying to marry them off quickly now that the show is done. 

IDK, NWA is not as cheap as it used to be or as cheap as that region in general.

How can they work, if they always need a buddy or they have no skills or education?

22 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

IDK, NWA is not as cheap as it used to be or as cheap as that region in general.

How can they work, if they always need a buddy or they have no skills or education?

Chain gang....permanent buddy thing going.......

1 hour ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

Chain gang....permanent buddy thing going.......

Can I have this job?

I will need to bring my sister with me as an accountability buddy.

Maybe this will mean that JB and his bed buddy, JBiotch will need to get jobs!

10 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I think if they were really hurting for money, JB would be the first to loosen the rules. He seems like the type to loosen rules once money is needed. Like allowing Jana to get a nannying job. 

Now you see, I think TLC handed the story lines over to an intern or something. Why was there nothing said about Mary moving to Deanna's? That would have been a more interesting story line than watching the older girls drinking coffee. Why didn't they explain & show Tabitha teaching. There really is so much there but they make shit up that is beyond boring. Say something about why Ben is depressed. Did they think we wouldn't notice?

Give that script job over to FJ; WE could do it better in a NY minute!

28 minutes ago, ksgranola1 said:

Now you see, I think TLC handed the story lines over to an intern or something. Why was there nothing said about Mary moving to Deanna's? That would have been a more interesting story line than watching the older girls drinking coffee. Why didn't they explain & show Tabitha teaching. There really is so much there but they make shit up that is beyond boring. Say something about why Ben is depressed. Did they think we wouldn't notice?

your forgetting they need to keep sweet and show us that that Jana is not cinderella

even though your ideas are brilliant - it will never happen

instead we will get more episodes of Jessa and her best friend Sierra visiting the taco lady's new kid and no one talking 

they think that is good testimony 

and to show you just how crazy Sierra is - just read her latest instagram about having to be so in love with Mark to show the world God's love -that woman is beyond cray cray 

On 6/10/2016 at 8:40 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I think if they were really hurting for money, JB would be the first to loosen the rules. He seems like the type to loosen rules once money is needed. Like allowing Jana to get a nannying job. 

Totally.  They definitely strike me as the kind to glorify themselves for choosing the strictest path possible as long as it doesn't mean financial hardship, all the more so now that they're used to a certain lifestyle.  

On 6/10/2016 at 9:56 AM, ksgranola1 said:

"Ben isn't depressed and if he is he just needs to pray harder." is probably the closest we would get to that. Even if TLC had better ideas, half of 'em would never make it to production because I doubt the Duggars would participate. They gotta keep a pleasing countenance for god.

On 6/10/2016 at 3:24 PM, nst said:

your forgetting they need to keep sweet and show us that that Jana is not cinderella

even though your ideas are brilliant - it will never happen

instead we will get more episodes of Jessa and her best friend Sierra visiting the taco lady's new kid and no one talking 

they think that is good testimony 

and to show you just how crazy Sierra is - just read her latest instagram about having to be so in love with Mark to show the world God's love -that woman is beyond cray cray 

I am more and more convinced that Sierra is starting to realize that she married the first dude who paid attention to her, got embroiled in a cult, and now has five children she can't handle, and she's coping by going even further into the Jesus deep end.

Jill hasn't posted in a while, I'm blocked by Jessa (#blessablocked) on IG so I don't know about her, and I jumped ship on facebook so no idea about the Duggar fam, but I just have a bad feeling that they are quiet as required pre-show. Can it be too much to hope for that they have resigned themselves to life out of the public eye?

• Destiny locked and unpinned this topic

Archived