IGNORED

How to support your family of 19 without a salary

homeschoolmomma1

The Duggars are getting a bit repetitious. I also noticed that you could The 7 Basic Needs of a Wife by Bill Gothard. Um, isn't he the one who has never been married?

:think:

You will begin to understand her areas of limitations, how you can provide the stability and direction she needs...

Niiiiiice

I'll save you the $12 since I already own it.

Its all about trusting God and how He will get you through anything. Like when Gil quit his job at Nabasco (I just butchered that name but I'm too tired to look up the correct spelling right now) and they were going to lose the company car that they needed to transport kids around, someone they knew prayed about giving some their old van/car and the lord showed them that the bates needed it. It goes on and on and there really no new or good info just trusting God for everything from food, home, bills and cars.

Its all about trusting God and how He will get you through anything.

Okay I really don't get this concept. Trusting God, okay, but trusting him with this? God gave you a brain, two strong arms and two strong legs.. use them! I honestly think God wants you to get up and use what he gave you! It's like the kid who never leaves home, despite having the knowledge and ability. (and I apologize now if this doesn't make sense... Partner and I have had a few drinks.)

yeah great one Gil-so those starving Christians in Ethiopia who prayed for food? Oh wait...they died. Hmm. What a theory.

How to support a family of nineteen without a salary? Easy! Get a reality TV show, write books, and go on the fundie speaking circuit!

In all seriousness, I don't have a problem with people trusting God as long as they don't imply that people who aren't similarly blessed don't have enough faith or are being judged or punished by God. Sadly, some people truly do believe that you're doing something wrong if your situation doesn't improve.

It's not like Gil doesn't have a job... he does have his tree trimming business, of which he pays himself a salary from. DURR...

Easy;

1.you pimp yourself out on TV

2. you keep spawning so as to hold people's interest

3. you write books on how to support your family of 19 without a salary.

4. you pimp out one of your daughter's; getting her to record a CD, then you sell it to your faithful and the proceeds go in the family pot.

5. you start a business and have free labour in your eldest kids. They work for you, you give them room and board.

6. you get better off families to support your home improvements.

7. you get local businesses to donate materials for your home improvements for free.

The Duggars are getting a bit repetitious. I also noticed that you could The 7 Basic Needs of a Wife by Bill Gothard. Um, isn't he the one who has never been married?

:think:

Never married, no children, WHY ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH ARE PEOPLE TAKING THIS MAN'S ADVICE on anything related to marriage and family?

I think some fundies in different forms often lack the ability to analyze the "advice" about what people like Gothard give out. They don't really look what the backgrounds of people that think they are Christian authorities, prophets or whatever you want to call them. Lately I have been reading this blog by quadriplegic Mormon woman. She once wrote about Mormon prophets and how they are the "real deal" but she gave no reasoning or explanation about why these prophets were "real". I found that particular blog post to be cringeworthy because she basically presented herself as someone who doesn't question anything. But I think a good majority of people that read that woman's blog are Mormons so she might have felt she didn't have to give her reasoning to why she believes in those Mormon prophets.

As for the Bates family, I sort of find them more likable than the Duggars. When I read that description on the ILBP store about the DVD, I rolled my eyes. I figured that their whole raising 19 kids without a salary would be about getting donations, love offerings etc and having a certain business or something.

Also, I love Erin's hair on her fancy CD:

store.iblp.org/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CMAM

Wow. Someone posted elsewhere about Erin "pounding" on the keys. Until I listened to the mp3s, I really had no idea... :?

Also, I thought from the title of this thead it would be about Jimbob. How long has it been since he's worked other than on the shoulders of his progeny?

So, basically the book is worthless. "Trust God" is not good enough for me. I need to know that my child will have enough to eat everyday. I need to know that my child will have a roof over his head and clothes on his back. I need to know to he will have the basics. That means I get up off my ass everyday and go to work.

In my opinion, if your family business isn't making you enough money to provide your children with the basics you need to do two things. 1. stop having children and 2. one parent needs to go get a job that will provide a stable and consistent income. End of discussion.

• 3 years later...

Never married, no children, WHY ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH ARE PEOPLE TAKING THIS MAN'S ADVICE on anything related to marriage and family?

Perhaps, good 'ol Bill modeled himself after the very people he separates from: Catholic priests!

I remember when IBLP used to have a tape(this was before CDs) explaining why having health insurance was a sign you didn't trust God. The answer to questions about medical bills was pretty much just was Gil said "Trust God and somebody will pay your bills for you." Plus it isn't like your kids need yearly health checks anyway. Just eat 12 slices of whole wheat bread made with the handy recipe provided in the Wisdom Books and you will be fine. :roll:

I'm not surprised that Gil loves ATI so much. It gives him a basis for being lazy and not actually having to support his family. And then they let him teach others to do the same.

Sooo, basically, the book's premise is "God is your ATM machine", pray and he will give it to you. Or, perhaps, God is Santa Claus, be a good little Christian, and you'll get the material possessions you ask for. This is up there with the people who pray for a parking spot, or a dress to be on sale.

what's funny is that its no more 19 kids and counting - it's 17 what with Jill and Josh both married and out of the house

I remember when IBLP used to have a tape(this was before CDs) explaining why having health insurance was a sign you didn't trust God. The answer to questions about medical bills was pretty much just was Gil said "Trust God and somebody will pay your bills for you." Plus it isn't like your kids need yearly health checks anyway. Just eat 12 slices of whole wheat bread made with the handy recipe provided in the Wisdom Books and you will be fine. :roll:

I'm not surprised that Gil loves ATI so much. It gives him a basis for being lazy and not actually having to support his family. And then they let him teach others to do the same.

This is their problematic way of thinking. Sure, they claim to trust God, but in fact, they trust someone else will have pity with them and give their own money to them. I mean, sure, it's nice if other people help out, but always counting on that is not a responsible way of living. It's funny how they claim that everyone should live debt-free, but they have no problems taking money from other people as long as they don't have to pay them back.

As the priest said in a homily, "God is not a slot machine."

An article I read this week said a person could judge their spiritual maturity by what they ask for in prayer. Asking for parking spaces, clothes when a person has money to buy them, or grander material goods, etc., would be a sign of very little spiritual maturity.

This reminds me of a joke I heard from a Church of Scotland minister:

A man hears a flood warning on the radio. He bows his head and prays to God to protect him. As time passes, the water level rises and comes into his house. Eventually, he finds himself on his roof escaping the water. He prays some more to God, asking God to save him from the flood. A boat comes along and he's offered assistance. 'No need,' he says. 'God will protect me.' The boat rows away, and the water rises more. A helicopter comes along, and a ladder is thrown out for him. 'No need,' he says again. 'God will protect me.'

When he finds himself in Heaven, he asks God, 'Why didn't you save me from the flood?'

God replies, 'Who do you think sent the radio warning, the boat, and the helicopter?'

I've heard that joke before. I can see maybe staying after the warning on the radio. But on the roof, praying and asking to be saved and you ignore the boat? God sure was generous giving you one more chance... and you still didn't take it! I would have been on that boat in a flash lol

Archived