IGNORED

Bates Family Part 15 - Bumps, Births and Babies

samurai_sarah

I don't think I realised quite how young Erin is until I saw her fresh faced at the beginning of that makeup tutorial. 

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, 19 cats and counting said:

I haven't seen that show since my youth either.

But still Gilmore Girls (love the show) is not the best example for a conservative network.  I wonder if they skip the episode where high school Rory loses her virginity.

They've shown that episode but they added a warning at the beginning that it include themes that may not be suitable for children.

3 hours ago, TShirtsLongSkirts said:

I don't think I realised quite how young Erin is until I saw her fresh faced at the beginning of that makeup tutorial. 

That updo ages her, IMO-

I think that both Steve Maxwell and Erika Shupe say that it's not just TV shows that are questionable, but also the ads, presumably because ads promote consumerism and a "must-buy-right-now" mindset. Not to mention that there are a lot of ads about mortgages etc which go against Steve's buying a house debt free spiel. 

I wonder how Steve would react to a Dulcolax or Always ad. 

Weird. Alyssa and John used to have a TV. I remember seeing it when they were newlyweds and she posted some pics of their home.

Man, I realized watching Erin's youtube video that I have NEVER heard any of the Bates talk except maybe K and G and Lawson too. I didn't realize how southern their accents were!

And only in her hair tutorial did I see resemblance between her and Alyssa. She goes so fast!!!!

5 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

I think that both Steve Maxwell and Erika Shupe say that it's not just TV shows that are questionable, but also the ads, presumably because ads promote consumerism and a "must-buy-right-now" mindset. Not to mention that there are a lot of ads about mortgages etc which go against Steve's buying a house debt free spiel. 

Well, Steve is more extreme than that. He is also against nature documentaries. There's a post about family watching a documentary about mountains and they were defrauded because there were women there or something like that (I don't remember exactly, but it was extremely weird because nor sherpas neither climbers are known for defrauding clothes or sexual behaviours).

If Alyssa doesn't have a TV, I don't think it's for a fundie reason. Lots of fundies have TV, even Zach. And as some posters have said, if you have internet you have access to more wordly and defrauding things than in TV. I don't believe a congressman family don't have a TV to watch news and sports. Maybe they prefer to raise Allie with no screens around. In fact, the few families I know who hasn't got a TV is because educational purposes and none of them are religious, they're on the crunchy side.

I dislike Kelly but I have to say a nice thing about her. She knows how to write nice messages about her children, and all the messages are different. Even using religious expressions, at least she makes every kid look unique. But there's an evident difference between older and younger kids. It's like Kelly knows well the older ones, she likes their personalities, etc. When she talks about the little ones, messages are nice but she uses more neutral, typical expressions. It's very telling.

5 hours ago, sophie10130 said:

Man, I realized watching Erin's youtube video that I have NEVER heard any of the Bates talk except maybe K and G and Lawson too. I didn't realize how southern their accents were!

And only in her hair tutorial did I see resemblance between her and Alyssa. She goes so fast!!!!

The way she says oil and oily really stood out to me.

She has really nice skin overall. She could get away with just using a tinted moisturizer or a BB cream like I do. Any acne she could just spot conceal. Maybe a tiny bit of eyeliner, she doesnt need all that eyeshadow and stuff it ages her. But whatever makes her happy I guess?

I'm more surprised that she makes makeup videos even though I have seen her hair tutorial and eye makeup video. I wonder if they search on youtube and watch other peoples (and I hope she never saw Jill R.'s :my_sick:)

Edited: just saw she IS using a BB cream. nevermind. 

11 hours ago, SassyPants said:

That updo ages her, IMO-

She's not the only Bates girl to look older than her age (sometimes).  I've noticed all 3 married Bates girls have looked older than their age in some pics.  I think not only do hair/makeup come into play, but also clothes (some of the J-slaves also sometimes look older).  

For example, in the pics of Alyssa at Allie's first birthday party, she looks like a 40 something politician's wife.  But in other pics of her, she looks like a high school student (I've found no in between).  There's a wedding pic of her (and John) sitting in a field where it looks like they're going to go at it right then and there.  She looks about 12 in there.

As for Erin-- I think she looks much better as a mom now that she doesn't have the time for the big hair.  The big hair really aged her.  

Michael looks better now than she did pre Brandon.  In her immediate post frumper days, she dressed like the stereotype of a kindergarten teacher (there's one pic of her with a teddy bear sweatshirt).  She also did her hair differently.  

15 hours ago, TShirtsLongSkirts said:

I remember the teddy bear sweater. It was heinous. I hope she burned it.

13 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

He would realize that he needs Dulcolax and ease up on the family. Unlimited animal cookies for all!*

*Maximum six per person. We can't expect miracles after all.

@Melissa1977, what Stevehovah objected to was a Buddhist monastery or a stupa or prayer flags.  I can't recall what it was exactly, but, heaven forfend, that the Maxwells be exposed to another belief system!

49 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

@Melissa1977, what Stevehovah objected to was a Buddhist monastery or a stupa or prayer flags.  I can't recall what it was exactly, but, heaven forfend, that the Maxwells be exposed to another belief system!

Candles! Someone was lighting candles! :shocked:

I'm not sure if he ever even said what religion it was. It was a documentary about mountain climbing and it apparently had part of it set in some sort of "Pagan" location (I'm guessing Nepal) so Buddhism is the best guess. He's very vague about the whole thing, but Steve mentioned someone lighting candles, so some people have wondered if one of the mountain climbers were Catholic and in his own church in part of it. The horrors.

Another time someone taped something off of TV for them to watch. A Presidential debate or something like that. Well, during one commercial break a lingerie ad came on the screen and Sarah had to shout for the boys to look away. Everyone was so defrauded they were out of sorts for the rest of the night. 

I love recounting the Maxwell craziness. 

9 hours ago, jas said:

The way she says oil and oily really stood out to me.

Yeah, even in Illinois I knew people who said it like that. Ohly. In terms of phonetics, I'm not even sure what sound that is. It's not as simple as just saying ohly, maybe a really fast ohaly? there's a darker vowel in there. it's always interesting, because in some southern accents people really chew their words, and oily is like the chewiest word there is, but they say ohly instead. I also want to know if they say ruined or if they say roint (think point with an r). That pronunciation always confused me :confusion-confused:

Accents vary wildlly throughout the Southeast.  Their accent is what I'd consider Appalachian.  Very different from accents in the Deep South.  In southeastern Louisiana, where I grew up, the accent is not twangy-southern at all.  In parts of New Orleans it is more of an urban sound (almost Jerseyish or Bostonish), and in parts of the Cajun parishes, very flat with a lot of dropped consonants, influenced by Cajun French.  When I tell people I'm from Louisiana (or that I live in Tennessee), they are always surprised becuase I don't really "have an accent." (i.e. that is regionally identifiable)  Most people in Nashville don't.  

2 hours ago, nausicaa said:

I'm not sure if he ever even said what religion it was. It was a documentary about mountain climbing and it apparently had part of it set in some sort of "Pagan" location (I'm guessing Nepal) so Buddhism is the best guess. He's very vague about the whole thing, but Steve mentioned someone lighting candles, so some people have wondered if one of the mountain climbers were Catholic and in his own church in part of it. The horrors.

Another time someone taped something off of TV for them to watch. A Presidential debate or something like that. Well, during one commercial break a lingerie ad came on the screen and Sarah had to shout for the boys to look away. Everyone was so defrauded they were out of sorts for the rest of the night. 

How silly! They couldn't fast forward through commercials? That's their own stupidity.

@sophie10130, a fairly common way to say ruin in the mountains is "rurn".  You can hear the actress that plays Loretta Lynn's mother say "rurn" in the scene where Loretta has gone home after leaving her husband, Doolittle.  She says "Maybe it ain't to late to stop you from ruinin' your life" except that ruin is pronounced rurn.  Despite it being the dialect, it is not considered educated to pronounce it that way.  

There's a good documentary called "Mountain Talk" that's about the accents and dialects in Appalachia from the standpoint of residents. I highly recommend watching it. It gave me a deeper respect of the people of Appalachia as that is where my not so distant ancestors lived.

Several years ago, there was a 20/20? on APpalachia called 'Children of the Mountains."

When I worked there, upon arrival I was told to watch it on Youtube (several parts) to get a feel for the culture and the unique challenges that teens face in the area.

It has been years since I watched it so I'm not sure if it is still up.  Definitely worth a watch if it is.

23 minutes ago, 19 cats and counting said:

Several years ago, there was a 20/20? on APpalachia called 'Children of the Mountains."

When I worked there, upon arrival I was told to watch it on Youtube (several parts) to get a feel for the culture and the unique challenges that teens face in the area.

It has been years since I watched it so I'm not sure if it is still up.  Definitely worth a watch if it is.

That was a very fascinating documentary! I remember the talk of how popular Mountain Dew tends to be in that area, but so many children and teenagers have ruined teeth because of it. The challenges that so many of the people face(d) there was really eye-opening. Would love if there was a follow up to that one.

Being from NJ, I cringe at the way some people think our accents are. Although, I guess I do say "tawk."

6 hours ago, nausicaa said:

Goddess knows there's plenty of that to go around.

25 minutes ago, JoyfulSel said:

That was a very fascinating documentary! I remember the talk of how popular Mountain Dew tends to be in that area, but so many children and teenagers have ruined teeth because of it. The challenges that so many of the people face(d) there was really eye-opening. Would love if there was a follow up to that one.

Being from NJ, I cringe at the way some people think our accents are. Although, I guess I do say "tawk."

I'm not NJ born/raised (NY), I'm a transplant here.  However, as a child I was yelled at and corrected if I talked like I was from NY.  

I've been all over the country for work and people really can't guess where I'm actually from.  In all the years I've been doing what I do, only one person (non colleague, a random dude at a farmers' market) asked me if I'm from NY (because I talk fast).  

I have had people call me a Yankee but my response to that is that I don't play baseball.

7 minutes ago, 19 cats and counting said:

I'm not NJ born/raised (NY), I'm a transplant here.  However, as a child I was yelled at and corrected if I talked like I was from NY.  

I've been all over the country for work and people really can't guess where I'm actually from.  In all the years I've been doing what I do, only one person (non colleague, a random dude at a farmers' market) asked me if I'm from NY (because I talk fast).  

I have had people call me a Yankee but my response to that is that I don't play baseball.

Interesting! It is hard to tell sometimes - I hear you about the talking fast thing, however. I DEFINITELY talk very fast, and wonder how much of that is because I grew up in the Northeast.

Hah, good response to that!

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived