IGNORED

Bates Family Part 15 - Bumps, Births and Babies

samurai_sarah

1 hour ago, VelociRapture said:

You know how I said I would recap tonight? I'm not going to be able to. Velocibaby is kicking my ass with fatigue and I almost fell asleep while feeding the three month-old Velocinephew earlier... So I need sleep tonight. I can see if I can recap the episode this weekend or something. Sorry!!! 

Aww man! I wanted to down vote, because your recaps are everything and I'll be on the west coast. But I hope you feel better, and will wait patiently. Please take care of yourself and Velocibaby. I'll be waiting for it.

:my_rolleyes:

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Ali, Vogue.com had an article the other day about Anne Hathaway and some other celebrity moms (Jennifer Garner was one, IIRC) saying "Screw it! I just pushed a baby out of my body.  It's not going to look like it did before my baby anytime soon, if ever, and I don't care".  

Lily and Ellie posted a recap of tonight's episode. I haven't had a chance to watch, but doesn't sound that interesting.

Bringing Up Bates Season 4 Premiere, "Big Family, Big Changes"

“It makes you real nervous, with everybody growing and moving and shaking,” says Gil,  as he and Kelly discuss the changes that are happening in the Bates family.

Gil is preparing for surgery to correct his diverticulitis, a problem with the intestines that causes pockets to form.

Before his surgery, Gil helps the boys fix up the swing set fort, but the father of 19 ends up at an urgent care facility when he slides down a 2 by 4 and gets a huge splinter lodged in his arm. 

The entire recap may be found at their blog: http://www.batesfamilyblog.com/2016/06/recap-big-family-big-changes.html

I'm watching the episode right now because I DVR everything to get through commercials, and can I just say how I found it HILARIOUS that, when Gil went to urgent care for the splinter (not a tiny one like I thought it was, it was at least an inch and a half, maybe 2 inches long) he was stuck with a female doctor and then a male nurse. Though I did cringe when he called her "this lady" the first time he referred to her in his TH.

Then when he made the comment about how he's allergic to two things - paying and pain - and I said out loud "You fucking grifter, you."

Gil's having surgery in this episode (haven't gotten that far yet), but holy shit does Lawson look gaunt and... Not pale, but not quite jaundiced, either. An odd mix of both.

ETA: Kelly talking about Gil going through the list of what-ifs that could happen and the "if something bad happens, you need to know x, y, and z" seemed quite genuine. Something inside me felt that she was speaking from the heart when she said that, though she knows God offers comfort and others have gone through something like that, she couldn't imagine her life without her husband. It sounded like real love, which was a rarity on 19KAC. Of course, I know it's "reality" TV and that it could just be for show.

Lawson does look very thin and a bit jaundiced. I actually googled it because it's been so long since I've seen the show or checked in to catch up on here. Hope he's okay. 

7 hours ago, ProudMrs said:

Lawson does look very thin and a bit jaundiced. I actually googled it because it's been so long since I've seen the show or checked in to catch up on here. Hope he's okay. 

He looks just fine in the endless selfies he posts on his public Instagram and Twitter accounts.

So, this episode had nothing at all about courting?

Well, I watched it.  Sort of.  My finger was on FF for most of it.  Gil got a splinter and went to urgent care to get it removed.  Gil was scheduled for surgery to address diverticulitis.  Trace, Nathan, and Lawson felled a tree.  Lawson wrote a shitty song with some people in Nashville.  Everyone made Gil cards.  Everyone went sledding while Gil had to recuperate.  ZZZZZZZZZ

I thought I would try to recap the episode last night for you guys. And then I fell asleep 1/3 of the way through the episode. Whoops. 

12 hours ago, theinvisiblegirl said:

I'm watching the episode right now because I DVR everything to get through commercials, and can I just say how I found it HILARIOUS that, when Gil went to urgent care for the splinter (not a tiny one like I thought it was, it was at least an inch and a half, maybe 2 inches long) he was stuck with a female doctor and then a male nurse. Though I did cringe when he called her "this lady" the first time he referred to her in his TH.

Then when he made the comment about how he's allergic to two things - paying and pain - and I said out loud "You fucking grifter, you."

I almost threw up when he tried to joke, saying he was allergic to pain and paying. He looked like he was trying to play it off, but that's probably the most honest thing he's ever said.

He was a bit of a drama queen with the splinter-removing doctor.

I also thought that Lawson appeared looked gaunt and a bit off in the complexion.

Gil drove himself to the Urgent Care to have the splinter removed.  Why?  It looked like he could only drive with one hand.

I believe Gil had an elective (vs. emergency) laparascopic resection for the diverticulitis.  If so, I think the seriousness of the situation was actually downplayed on the show.

Zach and Whitney, without much fanfare, told his family that they'd be naming the baby Kaci Lynn.  He wanted the letter K for his mom, and Whitney's mom's name is Lynn.

Nathan, Lawson, and Trace did a tree job for a customer.  Nathan did all of the the tree-climbing and branch cutting.

Lawson met some guys in the music industry and he recited some draft lyrics he had come up with.  Suggestions were offered.  Sounds like Lawson is planning some sort of event or small-scale tour to promote his music.

14 hours ago, theinvisiblegirl said:

I can't stand Gil. He's so obnoxious. 

I'm also really irritated by these Fundie men who think nothing of their wives having baby after baby but then they act like gigantic babies when bad things happen to them. Gil and the splinter, and remember what a huge dramatic production Jim Bob made out of giving blood. I can't figure out how their wives keep from punching them in the faces. 

15 hours ago, theinvisiblegirl said:

Then when he made the comment about how he's allergic to two things - paying and pain -

The most honest thing about the show. 

For those who watched - how exactly does one "slide down a 2 by 4" to get a splinter?  

In my mental image the splinter ends up in Gil's butt not his arm.

26 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

For those who watched - how exactly does one "slide down a 2 by 4" to get a splinter?  

He tried to play fireman and slide down it like a fireman's pole...or maybe a stripper pole?

26 minutes ago, GreyhoundFan said:

He tried to play fireman and slide down it like a fireman's pole...or maybe a stripper pole?

I haven't watched yet, but he deserves a nasty splinter then! What an idiot thing to do! 

On 5/22/2016 at 9:00 PM, 19 cats and counting said:

Gotta marry em off to ATI royalty (so far 3/3).  

Is Nathan's girlfriend royalty? And Zach's wife isn't, right?

In the last pic of Carlin that Alyssa posted, is that a hint of boob? Not that I was staring but that's a low cut top for a fundie.

9 hours ago, QuiverDance said:

Well, I watched it.  Sort of.  My finger was on FF for most of it.  Gil got a splinter and went to urgent care to get it removed.  Gil was scheduled for surgery to address diverticulitis.  Trace, Nathan, and Lawson felled a tree.  Lawson wrote a shitty song with some people in Nashville.  Everyone made Gil cards.  Everyone went sledding while Gil had to recuperate.  ZZZZZZZZZ

Yes. And they're doing major shots of Nathan looking responsible. This is Nathan courts and becomes a husband season. 

37 minutes ago, BeccaGrim said:

I don't think she's from a high-profile family.  Whitney is not.

But the 3 married daughters all married IBLP royalty (BOD's son, IBLP Congressman's son, IBLP employee).

1 hour ago, BeccaGrim said:

Ashley isn't royalty but she's in the cult so he's staying in the fold. I'm sure they will do everything by the book. First kiss on their wedding day, lots of kids, etc.

3 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

I honestly didn't even see what happened. I don't even recall if they showed what happened because all I remember is a shot where the camera was up on the hill by the disastrous homemade swing set, and Gil was holding his wrist, walking towards the house. Lawson/Nate/Trace's talking head spoke of how it happened - he hadn't built any stairs to get to the top of the structure, so they were just overall being dangerous, which is PERFECT when you're building shit with your kids.

1 hour ago, OyToTheVey said:

In the last pic of Carlin that Alyssa posted, is that a hint of boob? Not that I was staring but that's a low cut top for a fundie.

I've never logged onto Instagram faster. It does seem like a pretty low cut top for a fundie - I definitely see skin on Carlin that must fundie women don't show, even though it's only a very small amount. But isn't any small amount just a huge deal in the Bates family?

I agree with others that Lawson has lost some weight. Maybe he caught the flu or something over the winter and lost a few pounds. I gain weight over the winter! Stupid holiday sweets jumping into my mouth every time I turn around.

8 minutes ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

I agree with others that Lawson has lost some weight. Maybe he caught the flu or something over the winter and lost a few pounds. I gain weight over the winter! Stupid holiday sweets jumping into my mouth every time I turn around.

I have that same jumping sweet problem! It's a real bitch

On 6/2/2016 at 5:54 PM, VelociRapture said:

You know how I said I would recap tonight? I'm not going to be able to. Velocibaby is kicking my ass with fatigue and I almost fell asleep while feeding the three month-old Velocinephew earlier... So I need sleep tonight. I can see if I can recap the episode this weekend or something. Sorry!!! 

Holey moley hells bells. You are pregnant and did not tell me? Are we no longer bff???

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived