IGNORED

Bates Family Part 15 - Bumps, Births and Babies

samurai_sarah

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

@sophie10130, a fairly common way to say ruin in the mountains is "rurn".  You can hear the actress that plays Loretta Lynn's mother say "rurn" in the scene where Loretta has gone home after leaving her husband, Doolittle.  She says "Maybe it ain't to late to stop you from ruinin' your life" except that ruin is pronounced rurn.  Despite it being the dialect, it is not considered educated to pronounce it that way.  

That sounds familiar.

I hear a lot of roon. "You're gonna roon your life" or "it's rooned"

I love accents so much.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RosyDaisy said:

There's a good documentary called "Mountain Talk" that's about the accents and dialects in Appalachia from the standpoint of residents. I highly recommend watching it. It gave me a deeper respect of the people of Appalachia as that is where my not so distant ancestors lived.

I will have to watch this! I grew up on the edge of Appalachia so I can always spot the accents from my region when they are represented on tv. Unfortunately I only hear my accent on Gypsy Sisters :-/

Ooh I love accent talk. My natural accent is Yorkshire (North of England) think Sean Bean in GoT :) but I moved away age 18 and now almost a decade later it's almost completely faded away and I now sound a lot more like Sansa... I still have a slight twang that apparently only other Northerners can hear, we gravitate towards each other ;) And obviously it reappears quite strongly when drunk, tired or talking to my Northern family, which shocks people if they haven't heard it before! 

One of my coworkers is from Iowa and he has the sexiest voice/accent, all deep and American, I could listen to it all day ;)

Also LOVE a good Sopranos-style new jersey accent... "Noo Joizey"

14 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@Melissa1977, what Stevehovah objected to was a Buddhist monastery or a stupa or prayer flags.  I can't recall what it was exactly, but, heaven forfend, that the Maxwells be exposed to another belief system!

Thanks for the clarification!

23 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

Well, Steve is more extreme than that. He is also against nature documentaries. There's a post about family watching a documentary about mountains and they were defrauded because there were women there or something like that (I don't remember exactly, but it was extremely weird because nor sherpas neither climbers are known for defrauding clothes or sexual behaviours).

If Alyssa doesn't have a TV, I don't think it's for a fundie reason. Lots of fundies have TV, even Zach. And as some posters have said, if you have internet you have access to more wordly and defrauding things than in TV. I don't believe a congressman family don't have a TV to watch news and sports. Maybe they prefer to raise Allie with no screens around. In fact, the few families I know who hasn't got a TV is because educational purposes and none of them are religious, they're on the crunchy side.

I also know people who just don't have a TV (or they just have a simple cheapo flat panel) because they just use their computer for everything, or even buy a little projector to point at a blank wall if they want to watch stuff on a larger screen, since then you don't have a flat panel TV cluttering up your space.

57 minutes ago, TShirtsLongSkirts said:

Ooh I love accent talk. My natural accent is Yorkshire (North of England) think Sean Bean in GoT :) but I moved away age 18 and now almost a decade later it's almost completely faded away and I now sound a lot more like Sansa... I still have a slight twang that apparently only other Northerners can hear, we gravitate towards each other ;) And obviously it reappears quite strongly when drunk, tired or talking to my Northern family, which shocks people if they haven't heard it before! 

I have a similar experience. My native language is Catalan. I was born in an area with a very specific accent, but at 18 I moved to Barcelona to go to college and I adopted Barcelona accent. Nowadays I talk with Barcelona accent at work, with my hometown accent with my family and in general I adapt my accent depending the person I'm talking to.

32 minutes ago, Melissa1977 said:

I have a similar experience. My native language is Catalan. I was born in an area with a very specific accent, but at 18 I moved to Barcelona to go to college and I adopted Barcelona accent. Nowadays I talk with Barcelona accent at work, with my hometown accent with my family and in general I adapt my accent depending the person I'm talking to.

My partner grew up in London and moved to Ireland as an adult. I can always tell when he is talking to someone from England on the phone as his accent gets stronger. To Irish people his accent is definitely very strong London still, but when he talks to his family members they slag him off for putting on an Irish accent! Despite the fact that he never sounds more from London than when he is talking to them.

I grew up in the South, in a large city, but growing up my parents would pretend not to hear me if I sounded too southern and for most of my life and now I get asked all the time where I'm from because I don't have an accent. Last time I went up North people loved hearing me talk, most said it was very subtle and could hardly detect an accent. I also traveled a lot growing up, so that may also have something to do with it. 

7 hours ago, TShirtsLongSkirts said:

One of my coworkers is from Iowa and he has the sexiest voice/accent, all deep and American, I could listen to it all day ;)

I think you are the only person I've ever heard call an American accent "sexy" lol and Iowa of all places! Idk why I find that so funny.

@TShirtsLongSkirts, when I think of Yorkshire accents I think of the characters in All Creatures Great and Small and the TV series of the same.  Not the vets, of course or Mrs Pumphrey or some other  more prosperous and educated person, but the farmers and such.

7 hours ago, Melissa1977 said:

I've always wondered this -- how mutually intelligible are Catalan and Castilian Spanish? My understanding is that they are much more different than just distinct accents, and that the language of instruction in schools is either one or the other depending on region. Are you taught both? Do most adults raised speaking Catalan typically also speak Castilian? Based on what I've been told, it's more unusual for Castilian native speakers to also speak Catalan... teach me all the things!!

2 minutes ago, withaj said:

I've always wondered this -- how mutually intelligible are Catalan and Castilian Spanish? My understanding is that they are much more different than just distinct accents, and that the language of instruction in schools is either one or the other depending on region. Are you taught both? Do most adults raised speaking Catalan typically also speak Castilian? Based on what I've been told, it's more unusual for Castilian native speakers to also speak Catalan... teach me all the things!!

Catalan is a whole different language. As far as i know, everyone speaks both spanish and catalan. As a southern, i'm no expert, but i would say it's midway between spanish and french. Given the geographical location, i think it's more than possible.

2 hours ago, Casserole said:

I think you are the only person I've ever heard call an American accent "sexy" lol and Iowa of all places! Idk why I find that so funny.

American accents are suuuper sexy! I think most accents that you're not used to are, though ;) There's an advert going around buses in London at the moment for a travel company, saying "Go to the place where your accent is an aphrodisiac" (meaning the US) lol! So I think a US accent in Britain has the same effect!

2 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@TShirtsLongSkirts, when I think of Yorkshire accents I think of the characters in All Creatures Great and Small and the TV series of the same.  Not the vets, of course or Mrs Pumphrey or some other  more prosperous and educated person, but the farmers and such.

I've not seen it before but i just youtubed it and yes, very accurate! I have definitely noticed a change, about six years ago I stayed a while in America and no one knew where I was from, assumed Australia or South Africa, and were a bit shocked that the Northern British accent is so different to the Southern. Nowadays when I talk to Americans they know i'm from northern England because of the accents in the north in Game of Thrones, which is nice! :) Obviously I don't expect everyone to know all accents, but it's still cool to think that's it's quite widely known now. :) 

1 hour ago, withaj said:

Catalan and Spanish (or Castillian) are different languages. It's not about accent, Catalan is a full language like French, Italian, etc. 

In Catalonia, some people speak Spanish and some people speak Catalan. Schools are all in Catalan, but we study Spanish as a main subject.

I know a lot of people raised in Spanish at home and school educated in Catalan and all of them are perfectly bilingual. There are people who prefer to only speak Spanish but in general young people can speak both. 

In Catalonia there are different accents. If I hear a Catalan talking, I can say what is his/her hometown area.

But to do it more funny, I have to say I wasn't born in Catalonia but in Aragon, which is an Spanish region next to Catalonia and its border towns are Catalan speaking.

Language is a heritage, it's a shame when people fight because it.

@Melissa1977, Basque is another separate language spoken in the Basque regions of Spain and France which I'm sure you know.   I'd love to learn Basque as I have a smidgen of Basque ancestry and, of course, I'd love to go Navarra as that is where my ancestors were from. 

1 minute ago, PennySycamore said:

@Melissa1977, Basque is another separate language spoken in the Basque regions of Spain and France which I'm sure you know.   I'd love to learn Basque as I have a smidgen of Basque ancestry and, of course, I'd love to go Navarra as that is where my ancestors were from. 

My sister's college roommate was Basque in her very recent ancestry --  had a distinctly Basque last name and I believe her father or grandfather grew up in the region. It was close enough that she grew up speaking some Basque at home. She was actually a total nutcase, but I always thought that her heritage was really cool. Haven't met anyone with Basque ancestry since. (Well, not that I know of, but I am a little bit of a genealogy freak, so that kind of thing usually comes up in conversation for me.)

2 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

Good luck! Basque (euskera) is one of the most difficult languages in Europe. I think it's not very common to speak Basque in Navarra nowadays. But it's a very nice land to visit, and if you can also visit the Basque Coast, specially San Sebastian, you will love!

I have a hillbilly redneck accent. It's part of culture, and I don't care what anybody thinks. At least I don't need captions when hearing other American dialects on TV.

5 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

At least I don't need captions when hearing other American dialects on TV.

I know, right? This SAE/AAVE speaker wonders why tv always captions southerners? I love hearing linguistic diversity of various American dialects on tv.

On 5/26/2016 at 8:21 AM, TShirtsLongSkirts said:

It's so interesting to me how accents modulate in an uncontrollable and unintentional fashion according to context!

Drunk, when in the company of others with the same native accent or really, really pissed off are when I've really observed it happening; however, I think we change our manner of speaking (not just accent) much more frequently without realising as we go about our lives.

How many people have a 'telephone voice', for example? 

It's Trace and Jeb's birthday and there's only one rule: no girls allowed! The brothers, who share a birthday and a special bond, plan a party for Bates boys only complete with go carts and ice cream! Meanwhile, Erin and Chad travel to South Carolina to speak to and encourage a group of young girls about female empowerment.

I can't wait for this. 

11 minutes ago, crazysnark said:

It's Trace and Jeb's birthday and there's only one rule: no girls allowed! The brothers, who share a birthday and a special bond, plan a party for Bates boys only complete with go carts and ice cream! Meanwhile, Erin and Chad travel to South Carolina to speak to and encourage a group of young girls about female empowerment.

I can't wait for this. 

Is this an episode description for an upcoming one?

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived