IGNORED

Bates Family Part 15 - Bumps, Births and Babies

samurai_sarah

I think it was the multiple hashtags that did me in.  And her caption did express her condolences to her Meemaw.  I don't have a twitter account so maybe I'm stuck on the fact that I don't think, "MyGrandfatherEdPassedAway" would be trending.  I also thought it was weird that her collage didn't include a picture of him.  Who knows, maybe they weren't close.  

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, JMO said:

I think it was the multiple hashtags that did me in.  And her caption did express her condolences to her Meemaw.  I don't have a twitter account so maybe I'm stuck on the fact that I don't think, "MyGrandfatherEdPassedAway" would be trending.  I also thought it was weird that her collage didn't include a picture of him.  Who knows, maybe they weren't close.  

Oh I know. A lot of the commenters seemed pretty confused anyway though - some were asking who died and others thought it was Meemaw who died. Reading comprehension isn't everyone's strongest trait.

I clicked on that specific hashtag and didn't see anything pop up. So I don't think it was intended as a way to make the funeral trend or anything. No one else seems to have used it to upload anything. Definitely an odd choice for explaining whose funeral it was, but maybe she thought it was the easiest way to explain?

4 hours ago, Screamapillar said:

Ack, Alyssa. Please don't be the Kardashian of Fundies! First step: promote laxative teas, Second step: promote those awful waist training things. I guarantee she's getting paid to pimp this product, but the person who would pay a skinny 20 year old to promote a weight loss gimmick is twisted.

I've heard her say things in her IG comments (not recently) about not signing up to be a celebrity, etc.  Yet she's doing exactly what the Kardashian family does by pimping out products on social media (didn't someone connected to the Kardashian family pimp out a similar product?).  I wouldn't be surprised if she gets into MLM while her 15 minutes are still ticking.

Alyssa, you can't have it both ways.  Yes you had to live some of your awkward teenage years on TV (even dressed like a traffic cone).  If you want to be a private person and distance yourself from the show, then do so.  But don't complain about being dragged into fame when you're doing exactly what the ultimate fame whore family is doing.

4 hours ago, formergothardite said:

She hashtagged a funeral? Please don't let this start being a thing. 

Too late: funeral selfies are very much a *thing*

See: the Selfies at Funerals Tumblr

Also, just because Alyssa is promoting the diet tea doesn't mean she's using it. Most instagram celebs just have to take the photo with it, that's all. I read a whole thing about it when Scott Disick recently messed up his own instagram ad when he copy and pasted the instruction for his ad that said "Use this caption at 4pm - I love [insert product name here]". Still, I expect better of Alyssa, at the minimum to use the hashtag #ad or #promotion.

9 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

No. It is a bad manners/no class question.

Ack. That was mean.

What really bothers me is someone as thin as Alyssa promoting dieting. She is too thin for her frame and always has been. Her head is out of proportion with her body. It is once again that wonderful societal pressure to be preternaturally thin. It is very bothersome.

I don't think Alyssa is too thin. Would she look nice with 5-10 more pounds on her? I think so. Does she look nice now? I think so. Some people are naturally very thin, and work out for muscle tone, etc. I have a very (naturally) thin family member who exercises to build muscle because she doesn't want to be weak and thin. This is just body shaming in the opposite direction, imo.  Alyssa does not look anorexic or anything and the "she's too thin" crap irritates me. 

Now detox tea and tacky funeral hashtags? Snark away. 

10 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

No. It is a bad manners/no class question.

Ack. That was mean.

What really bothers me is someone as thin as Alyssa promoting dieting. She is too thin for her frame and always has been. Her head is out of proportion with her body. It is once again that wonderful societal pressure to be preternaturally thin. It is very bothersome.

Like Kelly Rippa and Giada De Laurentiis!

1 hour ago, JemimaPuddle-Duck said:

I don't think Alyssa is too thin. Would she look nice with 5-10 more pounds on her? I think so. Does she look nice now? I think so. Some people are naturally very thin, and work out for muscle tone, etc. I have a very (naturally) thin family member who exercises to build muscle because she doesn't want to be weak and thin. This is just body shaming in the opposite direction, imo.  Alyssa does not look anorexic or anything and the "she's too thin" crap irritates me. 

I agree. I don't really like commenting on if a person is too fat or too thin. Now I would be happy to talk about the fundie culture contributing to eating disorders in general. But I'm not really a fan of talking about Alyssa's body. I think she is beautiful just like all her sisters. 

49 minutes ago, JemimaPuddle-Duck said:

Ditto. She's young enough where a healthy diet and being moderately active are enough to stay lean without much effort. She looks to be on the low end of normal, as far as weight and BMI are concerned, and has good muscle tone that you don't see on someone who is underweight and/ or struggling with an eating disorder.

1 hour ago, JemimaPuddle-Duck said:

Can we say point missed? She is a thin, thin person promoting some snake oil, possibly dangerous weight loss supplement that perpetuates the stereotype that women have to be thin and perfect after childbirth. 

6 hours ago, formergothardite said:

She hashtagged a funeral? Please don't let this start being a thing. 

#superficialtwit

Fuck you, Alyssa! It's one think to post a brief statement about losing a loved one on Facebook as away of notifying family and friends who are out of town. But promoting it with hashtags and smiling pictures is beyond disrespectful. It's outright selfish.

I said this a few weeks ago but she's 21.  I've seen enough posts on social media from others her age (I've had enough college aged interns to know what they post on SM).  Hell some of the people her age I know use the term 'hashtag' IRL all the time and then say aloud what they would hashtag the event as on SM.  

What sets her apart is that she's married with a kid.  

AS for the smiling in funeral pics--- my grandfather's funeral in September became a family reunion and was the first time seeing one of my cousins in over 10 years.  There's a few smiling pics of the family reunion part.  That and we chuckled when funny stories about him were shared.  He would have preferred to see us smiling anyways.

New season tomorrow. I'll try to recap... While pregnant... Which means no drinking...

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck me... :pb_lol:

1 hour ago, 19 cats and counting said:

I said this a few weeks ago but she's 21.  I've seen enough posts on social media from others her age (I've had enough college aged interns to know what they post on SM).  Hell some of the people her age I know use the term 'hashtag' IRL all the time and then say aloud what they would hashtag the event as on SM.  

AS for the smiling in funeral pics--- my grandfather's funeral in September became a family reunion and was the first time seeing one of my cousins in over 10 years.  There's a few smiling pics of the family reunion part.  That and we chuckled when funny stories about him were shared.  He would have preferred to see us smiling anyways.

I am of the thought that once you have a kid, you need to act like an adult and be regarded as such.

So, Alyssa and Ben, although quite young in years, have made the ultimate adult decision by bringing another life into this world, and in doing so, they have become role models for another.

I agree, it does set them apart from their same aged peers.

1 hour ago, 19 cats and counting said:

It is one thing to celebrate a life at a funeral. My grandparents had two sets of kids, with the oldest set old enough to parent the accidental twins that came along long after my grandparents thought they were done. My grandfather's funeral was the first time both sets of kids had extended time together as adults (well, the Twins were then 40 years old!). It was a joyous time.

It is quite another thing to promote yourself at a grandparent's funeral on a PUBLIC social media page when you are a semi-public figure. She has a private page. Personal things like this are for personal venues, especially when said person is known to whine about not wanting celebrity after airing her wedding on ABC. Just sayin'.

3 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

Can we say point missed? She is a thin, thin person promoting some snake oil, possibly dangerous weight loss supplement that perpetuates the stereotype that women have to be thin and perfect after childbirth. 

#superficialtwit

I didn't miss your point. I even agree with it. I just don't like that you used body shaming to make it. 

Just now, JemimaPuddle-Duck said:

I didn't miss your point. I even agree with it. I just don't like that you used body shaming to make it. 

I may not have phrased it well, but I find someone her size doing that sort of thing irresponsible, deadly and dangerous. Marie Osmond still has some meat on her, and when she promotes Jenny Craig or NutraSystem or whatever, it does not seem dangerous. It seems real. Same thing when Jeanine Brown, who has been desperately trying to get in shape and looks great, promotes that weird water. When someone too thin promotes a weight loss product aimed obviously at women who have just had babies and are likely at low point in self image, I find myself quite disgusted but mostly alarmed. I am coming from the perspective of someone who has been recovering from an eating disorder for 30 years (because like any addiction, it never really goes away) and who once had a head out of proportion with my body and a fully articulated rib cage (a co-worker was even mentioning it to me today after seeing some old facebook pics). It scares me because I know exactly how that would have effected me 10, 20 years ago. Not good.

3 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

I may not have phrased it well, but I find someone her size doing that sort of thing irresponsible, deadly and dangerous. Marie Osmond still has some meat on her, and when she promotes Jenny Craig or NutraSystem or whatever, it does not seem dangerous. It seems real. Same thing when Jeanine Brown, who has been desperately trying to get in shape and looks great, promotes that weird water. When someone too thin promotes a weight loss product aimed obviously at women who have just had babies and are likely at low point in self image, I find myself quite disgusted but mostly alarmed. I am coming from the perspective of someone who has been recovering from an eating disorder for 30 years (because like any addiction, it never really goes away) and who once had a head out of proportion with my body and a fully articulated rib cage (a co-worker was even mentioning it to me today after seeing some old facebook pics). It scares me because I know exactly how that would have effected me 10, 20 years ago. Not good.

I see better now where you're coming from. I guess it just doesn't seem like too huge a deal to me; she never mentions weight loss, only bloating. And I kinda thought it might be a little dig at the people who ask about pregnancy at every pic in which her belly doesn't look perfectly flat ;-). That said, I wouldn't drink or promote that crap even if they paid me. 

Im still confused by some of your comments though. (I can't figure out how to bold a portion of the quote.) Again you call Alyssa "too thin", and where do you get that it's a product "aimed obviously at women who have just had babies"? Not trying to be a pita at this point, just wondering if I'm missing something. I've never heard of the tea before this. 

Oh, a woman that size shilling a bloat product?? And I made the leap that Alyssa's audience would be her peers- young women who have just had babies. Most endorsements are done for that type of peer audience!

Not to distract from the pressing debate about exactly how many pounds a girl should weigh before she's allowed to post about bloating/diet products but did anyone notice all of Michaels pictures from this weekend? Though she didn't post  any of Kelly and Gil, I wonder if the kids were only in Chicago to accompany them to yet another iblp meeting? I feel like they've been in Chicago quite frequently lately, I wonder if the lawsuit is heating up. 

2 minutes ago, picklepizzas said:

Not to distract from the pressing debate about exactly how many pounds a girl should weigh before she's allowed to post about bloating/diet products but did anyone notice all of Michaels pictures from this weekend? Though she didn't post  any of Kelly and Gil, I wonder if the kids were only in Chicago to accompany them to yet another iblp meeting? I feel like they've been in Chicago quite frequently lately, I wonder if th lawsuit is heating up. 

The lawyer for the victims was disqualified and it sounds like the victims are moving on to a(hopefully) better lawyer, so they might be discussing that. There are also Family Conferences and Family Connection meetings coming up that they might want to discuss. Gil and Kelly have pretty much set themselves up as the gold star ATI/IBLP family after they shoved Gothard out of the evil empire he built and they present at a lot of these meetings and conferences. 

Won't the ATI/IBLP board meetings be in Big Sandy from now on, instead of Chicago?

I see an issue with the idea that a woman's tummy will be flat soon after having a baby. I've heard of women who packed pre-pregnancy clothes to wear home from the hospital. That is not the way it works. Women should not feel pressure to immediately get their pre-pregnancy body back. Mine was never the same after having a child. Alyssa does not look like she needs to loose any weight. 

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

Won't the ATI/IBLP board meetings be in Big Sandy from now on, instead of Chicago?

They were supposed to be downsizing, selling up the IL and MI property and moving HQ to Big Sandy, but it's not clear yet how many have moved.  There is also a law suit related crimp in their plans for selling the property in IL, so the full move may have been significantly delayed.  

IBLP still lists HQ as being in Chicago and they have JTTH and various other conferences scheduled throughout the summer at Northwoods.

As David and Samuel Waller are now in TX, perhaps they have just moved the ATI homeschooling function there.  There are supposed to be about 60 FT employees (not counting the unfortunate unpaid interns) at HQ in the various departments under the IBLP umbrella.

I don't think Brandon and Michael have moved yet.  Assorted Staddons were supposed to be moving too but I haven't kept up with their blogs.

So - board meetings could still be in Chicago.  IDK.

If UP did not film this years home school conference......

Gil headlined the entire thing. The schedule showed him speaking at like 5 of the events. It would really be 100 percent proof they are hiding their ties. 

You know how I said I would recap tonight? I'm not going to be able to. Velocibaby is kicking my ass with fatigue and I almost fell asleep while feeding the three month-old Velocinephew earlier... So I need sleep tonight. I can see if I can recap the episode this weekend or something. Sorry!!! 

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived