IGNORED

Bates Family Part 15 - Bumps, Births and Babies

samurai_sarah

Little Allie Jane is walking - see video on Bates Family Instagram. Seriously... That kid can move!

2 hours ago, crazysnark said:

It's Trace and Jeb's birthday and there's only one rule: no girls allowed! The brothers, who share a birthday and a special bond, plan a party for Bates boys only complete with go carts and ice cream! Meanwhile, Erin and Chad travel to South Carolina to speak to and encourage a group of young girls about female empowerment.

I can't wait for this. 

Kill me. Kill me right fucking now and put me out of my misery. :pb_lol:

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even though we all know that the 'female empowerment' will be empowerment bestowed on women through men, I'll give Erin and Chad credit though for even thinking females can be empowered.

8 hours ago, MorningMist said:

Even though we all know that the 'female empowerment' will be empowerment bestowed on women through men, I'll give Erin and Chad credit though for even thinking females can be empowered.

In fact, Bates girls are a bit empowered comparing with other fundies. Erin is proud of herself as a piano player and Alyssa has done her changes (I know clothes are not a big deal, but maybe there are for her). But the question is: Is little empowerment enough? Because it seems to work for Erin, but it couldn't work for a girl who doesn't want kids at all, or wants to join the army or be a scientist.

I mean, Chad and Erin seems to have an equal relationship. Both work, both care the children, both do house chores. They are 1000 times better example than other fundies we discuss. But still...it's not full empowerment.

Alyssa posted a picture with a girl with green hair! Isn't it funny??? 

Apart from jokes, I don't understand wearing a zebra print dress for a funeral, nor posing smiling in that circumstances. But maybe it's just a cultural question.

11 hours ago, MorningMist said:

Yeah, it's kind of like how I feel about the progressiveness of Pope Francis. On the one hand, many of his views are a breath of fresh air and I'm glad he's as progressive as he is. On the other, I know he's not going to be super-duper liberal. That would be like expecting the CEO of ExxonMobil to be a member of Greenpeace. I'm glad that Cherin seem to be nudging towards slightly more progressive views, but I know full well that they're not going to be feminist or even particularly progressive.

Though I'm also well aware of the possibility that "female empowerment" may just be a co-opted term for "you're EMPOWERED to be a brood mare for your husband forever and if you get raped it's totally your fault!"

On May 26, 2016 at 0:21 AM, TShirtsLongSkirts said:

Ooh I love accent talk. My natural accent is Yorkshire (North of England) think Sean Bean in GoT :) but I moved away age 18 and now almost a decade later it's almost completely faded away and I now sound a lot more like Sansa... I still have a slight twang that apparently only other Northerners can hear, we gravitate towards each other ;) And obviously it reappears quite strongly when drunk, tired or talking to my Northern family, which shocks people if they haven't heard it before! 

One of my coworkers is from Iowa and he has the sexiest voice/accent, all deep and American, I could listen to it all day ;)

Also LOVE a good Sopranos-style new jersey accent... "Noo Joizey"

Nobody from New Jersey has ever said "New Joisey" -- that's an Arche Bunker Queens accent. We do, though, say "cawfee," which is the only pronunciation that sounds right to me

20 hours ago, crazysnark said:

It's Trace and Jeb's birthday and there's only one rule: no girls allowed! The brothers, who share a birthday and a special bond, plan a party for Bates boys only complete with go carts and ice cream! Meanwhile, Erin and Chad travel to South Carolina to speak to and encourage a group of young girls about female empowerment.

I can't wait for this. 

How old are they?! Can't let the girls ride go cart and have fun with the boys. :roll:

Chad and Erin, telling young girls  that submitting to men and staying in the "proper" role is empowering. No way they are actually talking about empowering females. 

16 hours ago, MorningMist said:

I'll give Erin and Chad credit though for even thinking females can be empowered.

I'm not because it is a pretty common theme in fundie groups that women are empowered by submitting. I think even Ken said something along that line. I am pretty sure that their version of female empowerment is nothing like ours. This seems to work out for Erin because her husband isn't an asshole, but what if he was? And what if Erin wanted something like to go work outside the home? How would that work out with Chad? Things work because Erin fits the perfect fundie wife model. Even her job is a fundie approved job and most fundies wouldn't consider her really working. 

I don't think they are going more progressive at all, they are just taking the same awful believes about submission and sugar coating it to make it look less awful. 

My nieces and nephew have always had mixed sex birthday parties. There were never any issues.

Just now, RosyDaisy said:

My nieces and nephew have always had mixed sex birthday parties. There were never any issues.

It kind of goes with the whole boys and girls are sooooooo different line that fundies often bring out.

Has anyone managed to find out where Chad and Erin went in SC to give this talk? 

12 minutes ago, RosyDaisy said:

Growing up, mixed sex birthday parties were common up until a certain age (8-9) and then the kids started to hang out with same sex friends.

I think 2nd grade (8) was my first all girls birthday party and every (childhood) birthday party after was girls only (now my best friend is a guy).  I also used to babysit for boy/girl twins and their 8th birthday was the first one where they had separate (friend) parties (family was still joint).  If I am remembering right, she was more insistent on girls only than he was on boys only.

34 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

I don't think they are going more progressive at all, they are just taking the same awful believes about submission and sugar coating it to make it look less awful. 

Yes.  Call me cynical but Chad and Erin's views of "empowering" women is most likely:

- Be strong and resist the temptations of the World.

- Withstand the ebil liberal feminists with their lesbian agendas against true femininity.

- Fight to honor your parents,  stay pure maidens of virtue and Godly SAHDs!

- Defend your womb - and unborn baybees everywhere!

- Stand against the ebil gubmint! It will tear your children from your arms to educate them!

And so on.  Empowerment to be a perfect ILBP/ATI family in other words.

I've sat through so many "female empowerment" lectures that basically say that the most powerful thing a woman can do is be submissive. Now I'm betting UP will edit the hell out of Chad and Erin's message for the show to maintain their cute and cuddly look. 

Yeah they have to be talking about something else because I don't think UP will allow it. Maybe she can talk about running a business as a wife and mom. IMO that would actually be beneficial to women. I know they will edit out other controversial statements suchs as "talk to your husband first about your business plans". 

Female empowerment?  Probably the power of "choice" to submit, dedicate yourself to the bible, give your heart to daddy then your husband, die rather than have an abortion for any reason, etc.  I'm sure it'll sound like a professional sales job on TV though.

I'll give Alyssa a pass on the zebra print because it looks like she wore a black jacket over it so you could only see a to it bit of the print on her shirt popping out. And  none of the pictures were from the actual funeral so I have no problem enjoying your time with friends and family outside the funeral service. 

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 0:46 PM, seraaa said:

It's so interesting to me how accents modulate in an uncontrollable and unintentional fashion according to context!

Drunk, when in the company of others with the same native accent or really, really pissed off are when I've really observed it happening; however, I think we change our manner of speaking (not just accent) much more frequently without realising as we go about our lives.

How many people have a 'telephone voice', for example? 

When Grampwych gets together with his South American relatives, the speech gets faster and the accent gets almost too thick for me to understand.  Which is probably a good thing, lol.

On 5/26/2016 at 10:12 AM, jas said:

My partner grew up in London and moved to Ireland as an adult. I can always tell when he is talking to someone from England on the phone as his accent gets stronger. To Irish people his accent is definitely very strong London still, but when he talks to his family members they slag him off for putting on an Irish accent! Despite the fact that he never sounds more from London than when he is talking to them.

My aunt has this in spades. She grew up in New Jersey, and then moved to Germany as an adult. Her accent in English sounds quite German now, but the Jersey comes out in full force (with some German pronunciations here and there) if she spends an extended period of time talking to her American friends or family members. It was actually kind of funny to hear her shift from full-on New Jersey when she was talking to me back into near-native German to talk to her local friends.

On 5/28/2016 at 3:43 AM, Melissa1977 said:

Alyssa posted a picture with a girl with green hair! Isn't it funny??? 

Apart from jokes, I don't understand wearing a zebra print dress for a funeral, nor posing smiling in that circumstances. But maybe it's just a cultural question.

The green hair is indeed funny :) 

On 5/28/2016 at 1:04 PM, JermajestyDuggar said:

I'll give Alyssa a pass on the zebra print because it looks like she wore a black jacket over it so you could only see a to it bit of the print on her shirt popping out. And  none of the pictures were from the actual funeral so I have no problem enjoying your time with friends and family outside the funeral service. 

I don't think there's anything wrong with her outfit. I've seen much, much worse. I work in a funeral home and you wouldn't believe what some people think is appropriate funeral attire. I've seen longer skirts in dance clubs.

I also don't see anything wrong with smiling for posed photographs - or smiling at all. Often you can hear gales of laughter coming from visitation rooms as people who don't get together often see each other again. No one can (or should be expected to) cry relentlessly. I think it's wonderful to hear people laugh even amidst pain. We also occasionally have people ask us to take group photos for them in front of the fireplace or something, and we always tell them to smile. Smiling for a photograph doesn't mean you're not sad you've lost someone. Laughing isn't necessarily disrespectful*.

Obviously because I work there I'm a LOT more comfortable in a funeral home than most people are, but I also see a full range of emotions, attitudes, clothing, economic backgrounds, etc.

*Disclaimer: my brother and I giggled helplessly all through my grandmother's funeral service, both of us stretched to breaking point, and I think that was disrespectful. Unintentionally, obviously, and we tried very hard both to stop laughing and to be quiet about it, but I'm sure it was noticed. "Luckily", it would have been attributed to stress rather than rudeness. because while we sat in one room with our Mum's family, our Dad was down the hall with his family and our stepmother's body. It was a bad time.

I have seen men who looked liked they just came from the coal mine and women in tube tops and Daisy Dukes at a funeral home. I'm not belittling coal miners or fashion choices. However, there are times when more appropriate clothes are necessary.

I live on the west coast of Canada, so we have what you might consider a pretty "basic" North American accent, no particular twang or noted vocal ticks I've ever heard pointed out.

I went to school with a girl who raised here since toddler age and sounded like everyone else, but her parents were British. When she would get on the phone with them she would immediately flip from our usual accent to a full on posh, Queen's English accent! It was fascinating!

10 minutes ago, Kayleigh83 said:

I live on the west coast of Canada, so we have what you might consider a pretty "basic" North American accent, no particular twang or noted vocal ticks I've ever heard pointed out.

I went to school with a girl who raised here since toddler age and sounded like everyone else, but her parents were British. When she would get on the phone with them she would immediately flip from our usual accent to a full on posh, Queen's English accent! It was fascinating!

I'm In Ontario. I used to spend summers in Nova Scotia and come home sounding like I'd lived on the dunes all my life. My husband says I still say "car" funny.

4 minutes ago, just...sare said:

I'm In Ontario. I used to spend summers in Nova Scotia and come home sounding like I'd lived on the dunes all my life. My husband says I still say "car" funny.

I pick up accents like that too! I spent 2 weeks in Poland when I was a teenager and found myself starting to speak with a slight Polish accent after just a few days. I find pronunciation the easiest part of learning other languages so maybe those things are linked somehow.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived