IGNORED

Tori Bates Courtship

19 cats and counting

On 5/13/2016 at 1:01 PM, Mela99 said:

I thought Chad was the office manager and just liked carpentry/etc as a hobby. But I could be wrong.

In that video Erin posted on IG of "surprising" Chad at work with news they were having a girl, he was wearing heavy coveralls like he worked outside construction or something like that. 

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/10/2016 at 5:18 PM, 19 cats and counting said:

(Very shallow post).  

I will say I like Erin's hair better now than I did before Carson.  It just looks much better than the Toddlers and Tiaras style.

I absolutely hated how she only curled the bottoms and left the middle and top all poofy. It was way too much of a "stereotypical southern belle" for me. I'm glad it's different.

On 5/14/2016 at 9:15 PM, JesusCampSongs said:

Many of the liberal-minded folks from east TN tend to migrate to Asheville, NC, which is full of liberals and hippies and gay people. I grew up in Knoxville and hated it, but I love living in Asheville. 

Knoxville has changed a lot, for the better, in recent years.

On 5/14/2016 at 7:04 PM, BamaBelle said:

Totally agree! I grew up in the Bankhead Forest/Smith Lake area (Free Stater by birth), and now live in Huntsville, and am an avid hiker/backpacker. I will point out another beautiful place and that's Walls of Jericho. 

Huntsville has an interesting dichotomy of people. Most are firmly Republican, yet are socially progressive (they love their gay hairdresser/cousin/coworker/friend, but pray for them every Sunday at church. I do enjoy that their are actual full-on liberals like myself here, as I haven't lived in a place before now where there were more than a couple of like minded individuals within a 30 mile radius. Granted I did grow up in an area where it was 30 miles to fast food, Walmart or any other chain store (my hometown finally got a Dollar General a few years back), liberals just don't exist there. 

I live in the Huntsville area too! Walls of Jericho is amazing. I haven't finished it yet (not a great place to go after it rains, I guess), but I will at some point. Rainbow Mountain is another favorite of mine. 

The South is beautiful. It's a shame how many of its inhabitants are ignorant. 

On May 13, 2016 at 7:19 AM, vspielman said:

Off topic, but just wanted to add something here.  I drove through TN once, and stopped at a mini mart for fuel and something to eat.  Between the beauty of the state, and the astoundingly kind people I met at that mini mart, I fell in love with TN forever.  I would move there to live in a heartbeat.

We have some friends from SoCal who just sold their home and are moving to TN (Nashville). They are close to retirement and just decided to go for it. 

I don't think that I could live in TN.

TN is beautiful. I've spent time in Knoxville in a cabin near a creek. What stood out for me was the softness of the water. Showers were a whole new experience. My skin never felt so good. I wouldn't mind living there with the exception that it's landlocked.

Yes.  I live in Nashville, and the closest beach is almost 7 hours away by car, but we do have lots of lakes and rivers.  It is really beautiful here, but I grew up on the Gulf Coast, and I miss it terribly sometimes.  

1 hour ago, QuiverDance said:

Yes.  I live in Nashville, and the closest beach is almost 7 hours away by car, but we do have lots of lakes and rivers.  It is really beautiful here, but I grew up on the Gulf Coast, and I miss it terribly sometimes.  

I live on the Gulf Coast, born and raised. Spent Saturday down on Dauphin Island. Will be back down for Memorial Day weekend and will soak up some sun, sand, and humid breezes for you too :tw_glasses:

I am jealous @Catholic and NOT 'ebil'  I grew up in Louisiana in a coastal parish, but it was marshy, not beachy, coast.  We'd often go to Grande Isle, but iot was not nearly as pretty as Orange Beach/Gulf Shores or the Fla. Panhandle beaches, which I love.  

2 hours ago, QuiverDance said:

I am jealous @Catholic and NOT 'ebil'  I grew up in Louisiana in a coastal parish, but it was marshy, not beachy, coast.  We'd often go to Grande Isle, but iot was not nearly as pretty as Orange Beach/Gulf Shores or the Fla. Panhandle beaches, which I love.  

I am in L.A....Lower Alabama LOL I visited Grande Isle as a child several times with my parents. Nice area and most importantly, GREAT seafood and people! 

I know I'm biased but yeah, it's hard to beat OBA and the 30A area in FL when it comes to sugar white beaches.

But, when we vacation, we head to TN for the mountains. We also visit family in OH each summer and stop in Nashville for lunch on the way up and back. Super energy wherever we go and the best hot chicken!!! 

So have we found out much from this Bobby character? He's most likely fundie but maybe fundie light? 

He goes to PCC. The chance of him being fundie lite is minimal....okay, non-existent. 

Does it really matter if he's fundie or fundie lite? He'll get lumped in with the worst of it regardless.

It depends on what someone's definition of fundie-lite is. Some might view Alyssa as fundie-lite if she limits her kids and wears shorts and regular bathing suits. I personally don't think superficial things like that are important. Who cares what they wear if they still think it is okay to use their religious beliefs to deny others rights? And I'm guessing this guy is okay with using his religion to deny others rights. 

11 hours ago, JermajestyDuggar said:

So have we found out much from this Bobby character? He's most likely fundie but maybe fundie light? 

I have the impression that his family is something like the Websters...okay with women wearing pants and not having 15 children, but still conservative Christians. Ironically, I always thought that Tori would be happiest with someone like John Webster, so I'm glad she seems to have found that. 

I wonder if Tori will go the Alyssa route and wear pants.

(Even if Chad and Brandon were totally cool with it, I can't see Erin and Michael wearing pants or dressing a daughter in them).

ETA non infant daughter.  We've seen Meredith Duggar in pants, but I doubt she'll wear them after her 2nd birthday (or even 1st birthday).

2 minutes ago, 19 cats and counting said:

I wonder if Tori will go the Alyssa route and wear pants.

(Even if Chad and Brandon were totally cool with it, I can't see Erin and Michael wearing pants or dressing a daughter in them).

Erin and Michael are very conservative personalities; I genuinely think they love everything about the fundie lifestyles and will deviate very little from their parents' beliefs. I predict that both Tori and Carlin will wear pants, sleeveless tops, possibly limit babies, etc and go the fundie-lite route like Alyssa. 

On 5/11/2016 at 4:15 PM, eandre31 said:

Lol! That's where my mom heard of the name. She guessed on how to spell it -thus the "Y" instead of the "I"

One of my mother's sisters was named Elise . She passed away last year at 93.

On May 11, 2016 at 11:09 PM, LawsonBatesEgo said:

Oh you don't live in Melbourne because it's pretty. You live in Melbourne for the food, sport and festivals of stuff ;)!

Rural TN looks beautiful from what I've seen of it on their instagrams, but the lifestyle pace/more conservative society there would do my head in. 

I'd love the slower pace of life. I'm from the greater NYC area, so people are always on the go here. Might be nice to have a change of pace.

The conservative society though? 

image.jpeg

3 hours ago, formergothardite said:

It depends on what someone's definition of fundie-lite is. Some might view Alyssa as fundie-lite if she limits her kids and wears shorts and regular bathing suits. I personally don't think superficial things like that are important. Who cares what they wear if they still think it is okay to use their religious beliefs to deny others rights? And I'm guessing this guy is okay with using his religion to deny others rights. 

But here's the thing. I know lots and lots of people from my hometown that would do that but I would never call them fundie or fundie lite. Just backward and ignorant. 

If someone is willing to use their religion to deny others rights, what makes them not fundamentalist? It seems to me that part of being a fundamentalist is thinking everyone should have to follow your beliefs and that the beliefs and rights of others are not important. 

I was born and raised and the South and absolutely love it and couldn't imagine living anywhere else.....

But then again on the way in to work this morning I was driving behind an old jalopy pickup with the rear window completely painted in an American Flag with the words "Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death," and immediately below that they had a Bumper Sticker that said "Death to Baby Killers." And a rebel flag sticker too. :pb_eek: So yeah, while there are crazy ignorant people everywhere you do find a certain kind of crazy down here. When you haven't spent your entire life seeing and having to ignore and feeling ashamed of idiots like that, it can be quite the culture shock.

Anecdotally, I almost felt like I was in a different country when I visited New Jersey for a wedding. People didn't say hello or hold doors open for me and I couldn't pump my own gas!

8 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

If someone is willing to use their religion to deny others rights, what makes them not fundamentalist? It seems to me that part of being a fundamentalist is thinking everyone should have to follow your beliefs and that the beliefs and rights of others are not important. 

Idk. These people pick and choose. They have kids out of wedlock, drink, etc but then use their religious beliefs to back up their ignorance and hatred. It's crappy.

11 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

A 21-year-old frat boy who drinks beer, has casual sex, and makes fun of gay/trans people is not at all the same thing as Alyssa, Erin, Michael, or Zach. A "fundie" as used on this site is a religious (usually Christian) fundamentalist. There are plenty of bigots who are not especially religious.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived