IGNORED

Tori Bates Courtship

19 cats and counting

18 hours ago, stevie said:

My name is Stevie and I am a girl. I'm named after the lovely Stevie Nicks. People ask me all the time what my name is short for and I say it's just Stevie. Some people say that is so cute some say that is weird. I've been asked why I have a boys names. I don't really see as a boys name or girls because it's to me it's technically a nickname for Steven or Stephanie. It just so happens my parents didn't want to give me a "full" name. Some people shorten it to Steve sometimes I really don't care if they do. Sometimes other people yell at the people calling me Steve and will say "her name is Stevie not Steve!" I just say I don't really care. It's not that big of a deal to me. I don't like it though when people see my name on list and pronounce it as Steve there's clearly an "I" in there. I get annoyed by that

Fun fact - just a few hours ago I googled Stevie Nicks because the main character in the book I'm reading was compared to her :P Fun coincidence! 

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a name that sounds like it could be a nickname for something, but it's not immediately obvious to most people what it would be.  For me, it's my real name.  I've had people be really rude about it.  "What's your name?  No, what's your REAL name?  No, what's the name on your birth certificate?"  And yet, even though it is a two-syllable name that sounds like a nickname, my family and friends call me by an even shorter one-syllable nickname.

My last name is not very common (not too many have heard it before), and it is hard to get the spelling right, especially when heard spoken over the phone. The pronounciation and combination of syllabels is a little weird, and gets even worse when spoken slowly. 

And that to me having a job that requires a lot of phone calls and the taking down of last names... I've heard it all. And seen any possible variation of spelling and alternative interprentation there is. I actually get surprised when someone gets it right :P

18 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

On Sunday, Nate Paine (Chad's brother) posted some Bates pics from a weekend in the Florida Panhandle: http://freeingthecaptives.blogspot.com/2016/05/blessingscan-you-count-them.html

Do you think perhaps they were filming a Tori courtship announcement in Pensacola?

"sand on the see shore", eh?

I'm sorry, but I think Carson is way cuter than Bradley.

Funny the Duggars and Bateseses are both there but we haven't seen any photos showing them meeting.

I have an Irish name which is uncommon outside the country. Since moving away I've had people say 'I'll never remember that. I'll just call you xxxx" (generic English name). I found it insulting and hurtful. People also thought it hilarious to make fun of mispronouncing it.

I now go by a shortening of my name which is easy to remember but it's more commonly a boys name so that leads to it's own problems.

40 minutes ago, EmainMacha said:

I have an Irish name which is uncommon outside the country. Since moving away I've had people say 'I'll never remember that. I'll just call you xxxx" (generic English name). I found it insulting and hurtful. People also thought it hilarious to make fun of mispronouncing it.

I now go by a shortening of my name which is easy to remember but it's more commonly a boys name so that leads to it's own problems.

It is just so darn rude to not even try to learn to say a person's name. I have had a few students whose names I have failed to learn even after some effort to learn them and they have told me to say x instead if I like. Most of the time I can at least manage an acceptable pronunciation, it is really about wanting to learn how to say someone's name.

My name is a bit hard for English speakers if they want to pronounce it the same way I do myself but I am totally OK with people using an English pronunciation if they like or if they can't say it the way I do.

My name translates well into (some) other languages.  I've let Spanish speaking co-workers or classmates call me the Spanish translation of my name (very similar, just ends in an a instead of e and one more syllable).  

That is one mispronunciation I have no problems with.  

I have an Eastern European name that has variations in a lot of languages but it's not hard to pronounce and it's short. And yet I still have American family call me by the Americanized name. I've told them a million times that it's not my name.  People suck. I just don't answer them lol

5 hours ago, HereticHick said:

On Sunday, Nate Paine (Chad's brother) posted some Bates pics from a weekend in the Florida Panhandle: http://freeingthecaptives.blogspot.com/2016/05/blessingscan-you-count-them.html

Do you think perhaps they were filming a Tori courtship announcement in Pensacola?

Erin posted a picture of this trip on instagram. That's probably the closest to sleeveless I have seen her...

5 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Did anyone from the bates family confirm that they're courting. I know their definition of the word courtship differs a little bit from most. I posted a few boards back a screenshot of Kelly and the family's dating rules. Ashley and Nathan as well as Alyssa and John were dating a while before they officially courted. Just curious. 

(Very shallow post).  

I will say I like Erin's hair better now than I did before Carson.  It just looks much better than the Toddlers and Tiaras style.

On 5/1/2016 at 10:50 AM, hollywood said:

Did some creeping. Chad+Erin instagram follows his private.

I found his Facebook and his sister goes to Pensacola christian college.

He wears muscle shirt and shorts in a photo and that's all that private pages will tell me. 

They look religous, obviously, and normal-ish... then again, so did Ben Seewald's family.

I'm not going to judge what might happen with Tori and this guy based off of Jessa and Ben. For one, the Bates have already had some kids who have strayed slightly from ATI, and for the other Jessa and Ben are attention whores.

20 minutes ago, 19 cats and counting said:

(Very shallow post).  

I will say I like Erin's hair better now than I did before Carson.  It just looks much better than the Toddlers and Tiaras style.

I hated her helmet hair. I thought she was so pretty but never understood why she would add a Snooki bump it to her perfect gothard curls. She's doing much better. 

How much do you think the adult children make from the show? Maybe it's because of the high cost of living in my area, but I really don't understand how Erin and Chad afford their lifestyle. A cute house that's completely decorated, nice clothes, trips to the beach. Erin's a stay at home mom and Chad does manual labor. The people I know around here in that situation are not living like the Paines at all.

It just strikes me every time I see photos of them. 

On 5/9/2016 at 6:13 AM, tumblr said:

I hate my first name, much prefer to go by a middle name, I have told people I prefer to be called by my middle name since about 12 and still, no one cares. People have laughed at me and told me I don't get to choose what people call me. I have had people tell me that god knows me by my first name so that's what I have to be called, and my personal favorite, I have had people say I am disrespecting my dead mother by not being called what she wanted me to be called.

I don't understand why anyone in any situation would not just call someone by what they ask to be called by. 

I've had people say the "you can't choose what people call you" thing to me as well. I just say 'and you're clearly choosing to treat me with disrespect by ignoring my politely yet clearly stated wishes that I prefer to be called Isabel, which is the actual name my parents gave me, rather than Izzy'. 

(For me, the 'name my parents actually gave me' works, but of course, I have no issue with people preferring nicknames or middle names. It is our own choice what we prefer!). 

1 minute ago, nausicaa said:

How much do you think the adult children make from the show? Maybe it's because of the high cost of living in my area, but I really don't understand how Erin and Chad afford their lifestyle. A cute house that's completely decorated, nice clothes, trips to the beach. Erin's a stay at home mom and Chad does manual labor. The people I know around here in that situation are not living like the Paines at all.

I've wondered this as well, because while you can get things at good prices if you wait for sales, you never seem to see Alyssa in repeat outfits. Even when I had a (admittedly low paying, but still) full time job instead of being a student, I couldn't afford an abundance of clothes like that. And I don't think she's being given the stuff either, otherwise she'd be tagging the clothing shop or whatever in her pics, that's how free-stuff-in-return-for-promoting-it works. 

I just hope that a good amount of the money being made by the adult kids is being invested for the future. The gravy train could be gone next year, but their kids need to be raised for a good 20 or so years. 

5 minutes ago, nausicaa said:

I think the cost of living is pretty low in their area. Also, Erin works as well, she has quite a few piano students that she teaches at home. Add some UP cash to that and they do absolutely fine. I do find that they seem to live pretty simple, no big vacations, just these (paid) trips to visit siblings or film for the show. 

I wonder more about Zach & Whitney. As far as I know Whitney doesn't work and their house is much larger thad C&E's. I doubt Zach makes a lot as a brand new police officer.

My life is so different too, I live in one of the most expensive cities in the world and while I don't live in a house (they're renting too, as far as we know), the money gets spend on lifestyle products, healthy food, eating out, drinks, going to the movies, travel etc. Do fundies spend on any of those things? I guess they buy tech stuff like computers and cameras and clothes of course, also the girls buy beauty products. 

This actually makes me think: Maybe the adult kids are living a pretty frugal lifestyle to save up the UP cash to buy the homes they're living in.

As for how much they make, I doubt it's a lot. My guess is, that the adult children make around 1500$ per episode. While that isn't that much, it is a downpayment for a house for a couple after 1 season. 

So I did some Googling and you can buy a 3 bedroom, 1 bath home (1296 square feet) in Rocky Top, TN (where the Bates live) for $59,990.  The most expensive home for sale in the town is $269,900.  

Rentals aren't as reasonable (no property for rent in that city) but as I zoomed out on the Zillow map, a 1 BR apartment starts at $550/month.  No houses (listed for rent) are under $1000.  But in that market, it seems cheaper to buy than rent.

Obviously I can't speak for Michael or Alyssa as they've left the state.  

40 minutes ago, hapamama said:

For one, the Bates have already had some kids who have strayed slightly from ATI,

Which kids? They have all pretty much stayed in line with IBLP/ATI. Zach didn't, but he seemed to quickly come back into the fold and bring a wife with him. 

As someone who lives in the worlds' "6th most expensive city" (Melbourne AU)......my jaw just DROPPED at being able to buy a house for $60k. 

I guess the downside is having to live in Tennessee, which I wouldn't be able to handle, but for people like Chad/Erin who seem to like the lifestyle, I can see why they seem to be doing OK. 

I think Chad has an office job of something like office manager.  I can't remember his exact title.  That still doesn't pay a fortune, but it should cover rent or house payment and essentials in rural Tennessee.

Also to add, I remember them saying Zach got that house at a reduced rent because they are renovating it. Also he worked 3 jobs. 

I actually live not far from them, maybe an hour?  And yes you can get  a house for $60k but it's not going to be much of one.  The cost of living is low but so is the pay.  It typically is cheaper to buy than to rent.  We are a family of 5 that lives frugally in one income and we are making it.  I'm sure with his job and her piano lessons and the tv money they are living comfortably.  I'm sure they don't eat out much and aren't paying for a lot of extras that most people don't even think about.  Like do they have cable? They probably aren't spending much in entertainment, etc.  BTW a lot of people don't find living in rural east tn a downside.  There are a lot of things I wish were different but a lot of things that are great and beautiful.  

5 hours ago, elliha said:

It is just so darn rude to not even try to learn to say a person's name. I have had a few students whose names I have failed to learn even after some effort to learn them and they have told me to say x instead if I like. Most of the time I can at least manage an acceptable pronunciation, it is really about wanting to learn how to say someone's name.

My name is a bit hard for English speakers if they want to pronounce it the same way I do myself but I am totally OK with people using an English pronunciation if they like or if they can't say it the way I do.

Back when I was student teaching, I was in a 1st grade classroom that got a new kid midway through the year. His name was Pavel, and his family had just moved to the US. His first day in the class, the head teacher announced that while his name was Pavel, we would all be calling him Paul.

It really annoyed me. I get that she was trying to, I guess, assimilate him into the class, but damn. Pavel is hardly a difficult name to say. There were kids in the class already with non "standard" names. Ugh. Poor kid. New country, new school, new language and new name all a short span. 

Chad and Erin live in a 2 bedroom, 1 bath cottage--with the laundry in the kitchen.  I've never been able to ascertain if they rent or own (although we know that Zach rents). They've done a lot of work on it, and Chad has been able to snag a lot of things for free at the scrap yard and refinish them. And don't forget that all these folks seem to get a ton of baby stuff (and some adult stuff) for free from leghumpers (or from savvy crafters in exchange for shoutouts on social media. )

My question is what happens when they outgrow their cute cottage in a few years?

PS My husband is from East Tennessee (I'm from just over the state line) and its  my tribal homeland. I've been to Melbourne.  No offense to you Aussies, but East Tennessee is prettier than Melbourne.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived