IGNORED

What is going on at the Maxwells?

Dark Matters

I always hand tear my lettuce.  I've heard that it screams when you cut it.  :my_confused:

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

I always hand tear my lettuce.  I've heard that it screams when you cut it.  :my_confused:

Ah, yes. Reminds me of a quote from the classic film, Silence of the Lettuce.

"You still wake up sometimes, don't you? You wake up in the dark and hear the screaming of the lettuce."

The metal I think is what causes browning.  I use a ceramic knife.

13 hours ago, kpmom said:

I have always heard you should tear lettuce by hand rather than cut it with a knife (or, I imagine, a pizza cutter).  I guess a knife gives a metallic taste to the lettuce.  Or so I've heard.

Anybody know if that's true?  I've always hand torn my lettuce.

In thinking about it, I can't imagine a busy restaurant chef would hand tear lettuce, or maybe s/he would?

Maybe this is one of those things where Steve couldn't taste the difference (like meat in the burritos), so they went with cutting rather than hand tear.

13 hours ago, OnceUponATime said:

When you cut it you can bruise it and then the edges turn brown. I think there is less bruising when tearing. I could be wrong.

I started cutting my lettuce with a metal knife years ago and never noticed a metallic taste.  As for the edges getting brown, my salad has to sit in the fridge for 2 or 3 days before that happens, because I like to toss my salad with a teaspoon of lemon juice when I make it.  I think it brightens up the salad, it was years before I realized the lemon juice was the reason for the lettuce not browning right away.

I love a good salad:  shredded lettuce, tomato, cucumber, a bit of shredded carrot, and bell pepper.  Yum!  No dressing required.

21 hours ago, OnceUponATime said:

When you cut it you can bruise it and then the edges turn brown. I think there is less bruising when tearing. I could be wrong.

I have a plastic knife with a serrated blade for cutting lettuce.  I rarely do that, but hey, I have that knife---

On 5/6/2016 at 6:24 PM, CyborgKin said:

Cut pizza.

Yeah, but there are no guarantees that you'll get pizza. What if God forgets to remind your Headship to bring it home? Then what?

We made our own pizzas last night and it was all delectably gooood :D  Eating it was FUN.  Take that! ;)

37 minutes ago, CyborgKin said:

We made our own pizzas last night and it was all delectably gooood :D  Eating it was FUN.  Take that! ;)

Yes, but did you make your own Pepsi????

Happy Mother's Day, Teri! You're totally real! (The fuck?)

(Plus Melanie, NR Anna and Elissa tacked on as an afterthought).

Also a nice bit about mums who've lost babies and how they are no less moms than those whose babies lived. 

The fuck is about right.  Sorry, Steve, I want to barf.  She's a "trophy"?

To those struggling with depression, Teri is a beacon of hope pointing to the Lord Jesus Christ and a myriad of practical choices that gain freedom from the “evil gorilla.” Because Teri has been crushed by depression, ruled by anger, and hounded by the guilt of what she wasn’t accomplishing, nor the mom she wanted to be, weary, heavy-laden, moms know Teri understands them. To me, she is a trophy of how God, in His mercy, can exchange beauty for ashes in all of our lives.

I wish Teri understood and preached that the Lord Jesus Christ and practical choices can be supplemented with professional counselling and the right meds.   How many people are still struggling in agony with treatable depression because of Teri's message?

And how odd.  Teri had "no idea" about this particular Corner - but she posted it?

WITH GREAT DELIGHT, AN INTRODUCTION …

This was posted on May 2, 2016 by Teri Maxwell.

(Preface: Teri has no idea about the Corner below. She thought Sarah was going to write a guest Cornerthis month. She’ll be surprised!)

I want to introduce someone to you. To you all, she is Teri Maxwell, to me, she is “Sweetheart.”

http://articles.titus2.com/with-great-delight-an-introduction/

It all just sounds like ads for their products. Like, Teri knows what's like to be stressed as a mom, so buy her books to help you!

And again they tell the world their god cured Teri's depression. She believed enough, submitted enough, scheduled enough. Praise Jesus. All you losers in the world who battle depression are just not good enough for god to cure. 

They make me depressed.

That's confusing. I don't expect any of my kids will tell me I'm real today.  Should I be upset about that?  Will you guys be, because I doubt any of your kids will remember to compliment you on your realness either?  Shit. Now I'm wondering if I'm even real. 

On the one hand: very nice of them to acknowledge mothers who have lost children/babies/miscarried. That was actually a nice thing to do on a day that I'm sure is very hard for many of those women.

On the other, if you're into the whole believing in God thing (which, I'll be honest, I'm not totally into), God gave wisdom and compassion to trained mental health professionals to help those with depression; maybe scheduling and leaving her reproduction decisions/pizza up to the Lord helped Teri (I know that exercise was probably the most effective thing I did to combat my depression), but the vast majority of people (including me and, I think, including Teri) need mental health professionals to overcome depression or manage it.

Teri is "stable, dependable, and solid".

Steve's marital endearments are all apparently based on the car commercials he watched in his youth.

What stood out to me was "not being the mom she wanted to be" maybe I read too much into things, but maybe Teri wanted something different for her kids and Stehovah denied it to her. I remember when I fell down this rabbit hole, she was against pulling the kids from sports. I know depression is something you suffer from regardless of what your life is like, but there is no denying the stress of doing what you possibly feel is wrong will fuel it more. She's in so deep now, but maybe she's regretting her decisions as a mother. She's denied them education, friends, living up to their potential and I think she sees it. 

OT, but to be a real estate agent don't you have to at least have a GED? Their homeschool is unaccredited, so did John get his?  

1 hour ago, SolomonFundy said:

Teri is "stable, dependable, and solid".

Steve's marital endearments are all apparently based on the car commercials he watched in his youth.

Oxen come to mind.

2 hours ago, Coconutwater said:

What stood out to me was "not being the mom she wanted to be" maybe I read too much into things, but maybe Teri wanted something different for her kids and Stehovah denied it to her. I remember when I fell down this rabbit hole, she was against pulling the kids from sports. I know depression is something you suffer from regardless of what your life is like, but there is no denying the stress of doing what you possibly feel is wrong will fuel it more. She's in so deep now, but maybe she's regretting her decisions as a mother. She's denied them education, friends, living up to their potential and I think she sees it. 

OT, but to be a real estate agent don't you have to at least have a GED? Their homeschool is unaccredited, so did John get his?  

No, I think it's a reference to her feeling she needed to be fundie maternal perfection, and it's impossible to give your utmost effort to anything when you feel you're walking through molasses and everything takes five times as much work as it normally should.  

So Teri didn't want to take the kids out of sports?  I thought stopping sports was both their ideas. 

4 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

On the one hand: very nice of them to acknowledge mothers who have lost children/babies/miscarried. That was actually a nice thing to do on a day that I'm sure is very hard for many of those women.

The only time the Maxwells seem human is when they talk about Susanna or other people who have lost children. It's the only time they acknowledge that negative feelings exist and are okay. It's always startling when they mention it. 

20 minutes ago, Jana814 said:

So Teri didn't want to take the kids out of sports?  I thought stopping sports was both their ideas. 

It's on the wayback machine, I'm on my phone so I don't have the link, but Steve talks about how Teri was against it and then succumbed to the Lords will or something. 

37 minutes ago, RoseWilder said:

The only time the Maxwells seem human is when they talk about Susanna or other people who have lost children. It's the only time they acknowledge that negative feelings exist and are okay. It's always startling when they mention it. 

I've noticed that too. Glad I'm not the only one. 

Wow Steve is terrible at phrasing everything ever.

• FundieFarmer locked this topic

Archived