Jill and Jessa Counting On - Part 4

choralcrusader8613

7 minutes ago, Elegant Mess said:

Sounds like they need to take some tips from the Maxwells:

1.  Take initiative

2.  Prattle on about how the project made things better

3.  Mention how everyone was blessed

4.  Close with a relevant Bible verse

There you have it - a true ministry of tedium!

I want a show!

This morning I woke up and dressed myself.  I purposed to go to work without stopping at einsteins for an everything bagel with cream cheese.

I fed and walked the dog because doing these things made me think less about the everything bagel with cream cheese.  I am so blessed to have a good dog that didnt eat my shoes.  

I made my tea. Got in the car and began to drive.  I was reminded of how god blessed me by making it spring break, and traffic was light.  As was god's will, I was reminded:

1 Corinthians 10:31 Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

Due to this light traffic I was 5 minutes early... and clearly it was HIS will that I have an everything bagel, lightly toasted, with a schmear.  PRAISE GOD!

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Elegant Mess said:

Sounds like they need to take some tips from the Maxwells:

1.  Take initiative

2.  Prattle on about how the project made things better

3.  Mention how everyone was blessed

4.  Close with a relevant Bible verse

There you have it - a true ministry of tedium!

Don't forget:

5.  Clear and repeated pronouncement of how each person likes their coffee.  :tw_coffee:

Let's say that TLC didn't know about the molestation. Didn't they wonder why Oprah canceled the Duggars appearing on her show? Oprah knew the reason why the canceled they got the letter and forward it to the authorties. The Duggars knew because CPS showed up at their door. But TLC didn't know? That seems unlikely.  They weren't canceled because of something normal like a change in the schedule, they were canceled because of the letter informing them of molestation. But all this time TLC had no idea why their appearance was canceled? Or that they instead contacted the authorities. They were investigated by CPS which takes time but somehow TLC never noticed.  It doesn't make any sense.

Maybe TLC naively thought it was something that would never come out to the public...

IMO I think TLC knew and didn't care because they figured it wouldn't come out. Then when it was made public they pretended to be surprised and cancelled the show. IMO, JB probably said something like, "But you knew all along. I'm going to let the public know that you knew." And then TLC said something like, "Wait, maybe we can work something out ..." Counting on keeping secrets ...

6 hours ago, lascuba said:

I think TLC just claims plausible deniability in all of this. The things they've witnessed were never unambiguously illegal, just controversial. Sure, they've heard rumors, but it was all heresy...they couldn't be expected to follow up on anything. Blah blah blah. 

Your spellchecker is damn right it was heresy!  :P 

It is the whole "plausible deniability" that pisses me off in this entire affair.  Where vulnerable children are concerned, I think we have no damn moral right to look the other way, none of us, ever.  

Sometimes, as Mr Bumble once noted, the law is an ass. The rest of us don't have to follow suit.

My guess is that even if TLC received its own letter or Oprah's office told them why the show was scrapped, it may have operated with the idea that it was likely fake and so there was no reason to drop the Duggars. I am sure a lot of networks get letters about their "stars", many of which are not true. They likely decided to roll the dice.

Oprah didn't lose anything by not going forward with the show. Oprah would have had high ratings with showing paint dry and people would be looking to buy said paint. TLC needed the Duggars because they needed a new hook, something to draw in viewers. There was no reason to believe at that time that, if it was true, it would come out. Networks and studios have covered up for their stars for years. TLC hedged their bets and it worked out for what, a decade? No one at TLC regrets any decision they made. It's a company looking to make money and that is what it did off the Duggars. Once the show isn't profitable, they will move on to a new freak show.

It drives me completely batty when any of the Duggars say how they never told anyone that they were perfect.  That is their get out of jail free card for all situations. 

Probably will never know – but I would be interested to see the wording in the Duggars contract with TLC at the point the Oprah show cancelled.  I wonder if the contract said that they agreed to immediately let the production company know if they were charged with a crime.  I could totally see JB wiggling out of it saying that they were not charged with any type of criminal activity.  

I'm sure nowadays almost all contracts for reality TV would have much stronger wording  and stipulations about what you have to immediately disclose to the production company,  but when the all this was going on with the Duggars and CPS it was probably less stringent.  This was long before the PR fiascos of honey boo-boo, Tiger Woods, etc. 

I also think it's quite possible that the Duggars were able to schedule all of their visits with CPS workers and law-enforcement to not coincide with when TLC would be filming.    Even though the kids constantly say how they were taught to never keep secrets from their parents, I suspect they were taught to keep a great many secrets at their  parents request.   The Duggars thought the records were sealed forever – and that they would never  become public knowledge – so I'm sure Jim Bob thought that he could just sign that contract with TLC year after year and never feel like he lied in the least. 

2 hours ago, quiverofdoubt said:

I wonder what Ak laws are like in regards to car ownership.  My parents in CA and my dad somehow ended up with something like 6/7 cars under his name.  He had to do some shuffling around, because the limit was 6/7 (i can't remember which) before you had to declare yourself a car dealer and fill out extra paperwork and pay penalties or something.  Of course he has enough 16+ year olds in the house that they could have 6 cars registered in each other their names and still legally have a TON of vehicles on their property.

I did a little research and posted it somewhere....lol.

Arkansas says if you sell  5 or more cars a year, you must have a dealers license. I have no clue how many you can own before you have to declare yourself a dealer if you even have to. I think it's all about selling. And I believe JB and Josh both had a dealers license in the past. Maybe they have kept the licenses updated and Jinger is an "employee" that can sell cars under one of the licenses.

36 minutes ago, blessalessi said:

Your spellchecker is damn right it was heresy!  :P 

It is the whole "plausible deniability" that pisses me off in this entire affair.  Where vulnerable children are concerned, I think we have no damn moral right to look the other way, none of us, ever.  

Sometimes, as Mr Bumble once noted, the law is an ass. The rest of us don't have to follow suit.

:pb_lol: I actually looked it up because I didn't believe spellcheck. 

52 minutes ago, Chickenbutt said:

I did a little research and posted it somewhere....lol.

Arkansas says if you sell  5 or more cars a year, you must have a dealers license. I have no clue how many you can own before you have to declare yourself a dealer if you even have to. I think it's all about selling. And I believe JB and Josh both had a dealers license in the past. Maybe they have kept the licenses updated and Jinger is an "employee" that can sell cars under one of the licenses.

Even without one, they could sell 100 cars per year before they needed a license if each family member maxed out.  Regardless, it was all staged.  I dont think they flip cars when the cameras arent rolling.

I wonder whats up with the minister who was working on the cars.  Do we know anything about him? If he's not married... he's eligible... 

On 4/2/2016 at 0:12 PM, Bad Wolf said:

I thought that was really weird to have to say, "yes, ma'am" to your sister. Did they have to say, "yes, sir" when rheir brothers told them to do something? Most 5 year olds don't need naps, they could be in all day kindergarten. Obviously, some kids would need a nap, but it didn't look like Johannah did.

I think the usage of Ma'am/Sir when speaking to someone is a Southern thing. I work part-time for Nielsen doing phone surveys and I notice I get a lot of "yes ma'am, no ma'am" when I call the more Southern or East Coast States. If you're not used to to hearing it, It does sound weird and a little passive aggressive. 

3 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Even without one, they could sell 100 cars per year before they needed a license if each family member maxed out.  Regardless, it was all staged.  I dont think they flip cars when the cameras arent rolling.

I wonder whats up with the minister who was working on the cars.  Do we know anything about him? If he's not married... he's eligible... 

Wonder why JB sold the car lot?

2 hours ago, Buzzard said:

I want a show!

This morning I woke up and dressed myself.  I purposed to go to work without stopping at einsteins for an everything bagel with cream cheese.

I fed and walked the dog because doing these things made me think less about the everything bagel with cream cheese.  I am so blessed to have a good dog that didnt eat my shoes.  

I made my tea. Got in the car and began to drive.  I was reminded of how god blessed me by making it spring break, and traffic was light.  As was god's will, I was reminded:

Due to this light traffic I was 5 minutes early... and clearly it was HIS will that I have an everything bagel, lightly toasted, with a schmear.  PRAISE GOD!

So, I guess you could call your show "Smear", "Good Dog", or maybe just "Purposed During Spring Break".

Or maybe these titles are disrespectful. Or, maybe not. 

4 minutes ago, SassyPants said:

Wonder why JB sold the car lot?

The golden boy had moved on to a bigger perch and it probably wasnt very profitable

So I caught some of the first few episodes, while my husband huffed and provided his two cents. 

I noticed Jessa made a comment about Sierra's parenting and how sometimes parents don't get it right on the first child-- I felt like it was a Josh slam. She seems to make those from time to time, and I LOVE them. 

5 hours ago, Buzzard said:

I want a show!

I love it!! I thought I was the only one that used that word :my_biggrin: That was a big go to for me back in the 60's...it's all these little things that make me love FJ :bigheart:

10 hours ago, lascuba said:

I think TLC just claims plausible deniability in all of this. The things they've witnessed were never unambiguously illegal, just controversial. Sure, they've heard rumors, but it was all heresy...they couldn't be expected to follow up on anything. Blah blah blah. 

Yes, I agree.  Legally, the folks at TLC are covered.  So long as the abuse was only suspected and rumored, the network folks had no obligation to report it.  But they would not have been putting themselves at risk for legal action if they had chosen to alert CPS, who could then have investigated. 

By the way, I think you meant hearsay, but heresy works also in a different way. (It could be argued that to Duggar fans, any criticism is heresy. ;) )

6 hours ago, Buzzard said:

I want a show!

Is there a new episode today?

5 hours ago, Artemesia said:

IMO I think TLC knew and didn't care because they figured it wouldn't come out. Then when it was made public they pretended to be surprised and cancelled the show. IMO, JB probably said something like, "But you knew all along. I'm going to let the public know that you knew." And then TLC said something like, "Wait, maybe we can work something out ..." Counting on keeping secrets ...

Checking the timeline, Josh molested the girls in '02 through sometime in '03.  "14 Children and Pregnant Again!", the very first Duggar special aired in September of '04.  Pretty sure this is the episode where we see Josh with a shaved head in some scenes.  No real risk here for TLC in airing this even if they had a few clues as it was just one special with no apparent commitment for future specials or a series.

The next three episodes are also all specials and don't air until March and June of '06.   The molestations are successfully covered up by Jim Bob and Michelle until December '06 when the stories come to light and the police investigate, eventually determining that the criminal statute of limitations had run.

There isn't another special until the story of Jenny's birth (combined with a ton of footage from earlier specials) is aired in September of '07.  The actual series doesn't start for another full year.

It's very possible TLC knew something was up with Josh as early as the airing of the first special.  But if somehow they hadn't heard anything, I find it hard to believe they didn't hear rumors about the 12/06 investigation and it's nature.

Aside from the Jennifer birth special, there were no Duggar shows aired until the series started in 9/08, nearly 2 years after the police investigated Josh.

So yeah, I think they knew and figured they were safe by the time they actually gave the Duggars a series.  Maybe like the Duggars they were under the false impression that the records would have been destroyed because Josh had been a minor at the time of the crimes.  

It's strange watching the first special knowing that cheerful, smug Josh had been so recently molesting his sisters.   And even stranger watching the '07 special knowing that some of the scenes showing Michelle in the earlier stages of her pregnancy were filmed just a few months after the police launched their investigation, including the interviewing of the poor girls. We can't say for sure what TLC knew and when they knew it, but the Duggars?  That's serious hubris and clearly indicates they weren't too concerned with what their son did to their daughters.  Or about their role in covering up his crimes.

1 hour ago, paulypepper said:

I love it!! I thought I was the only one that used that word :my_biggrin: That was a big go to for me back in the 60's...it's all these little things that make me love FJ :bigheart:

I think Einsteins uses it specifically there too.

I know this because well...I have this tradition to go get a bagel/schmear at an Einsteins after the yearly OB/GYN check up. I call it "Schmear and smear".

(There is an Einstein right across the street from my doctors and it makes me giggle.)

6 hours ago, barbecutie said:

I think the usage of Ma'am/Sir when speaking to someone is a Southern thing. I work part-time for Nielsen doing phone surveys and I notice I get a lot of "yes ma'am, no ma'am" when I call the more Southern or East Coast States. If you're not used to to hearing it, It does sound weird and a little passive aggressive. 

I have to disagree a bit here. I grew up in the South (albeit Tennessee, not Arkansas) and I find it very odd for a child to refer to a sibling as "ma'am" or "sir." It's very common for children to call adults that, or for adults to use it toward each other, but I've never heard of a child using it toward another child in the family unless they were being sarcastic.

So I actually don't think that's a Southern thing so much as a Duggar family blurring the line between parents and siblings thing.

2 hours ago, Antimony said:

I know this because well...I have this tradition to go get a bagel/schmear at an Einsteins after the yearly OB/GYN check up. I call it "Schmear and smear".

(There is an Einstein right across the street from my doctors and it makes me giggle.)

Well  Dammit, I want in on this stuff :D

4 hours ago, Antimony said:

They do! And the one right around the corner from our house does 13 bagels for $6 on Mondays so its a weekly thing for us. I currently have a small tub of plain schmear in the fridge.

Darnnit Buzzard now I'm hungry!! (Digs the last everything bagel out of the bottom of the box where it was cleverly hidden!)

9 hours ago, calimojo said:

Is there a new episode today?

Sigh, yes... and my cable and internet are now functional so I'll be here suffering so you dont have to!

• Coconut Flan pinned this topic
  • choralcrusader8613 locked and unpinned this topic

Archived