IGNORED

Jill and Jessa Counting On - Part 4

choralcrusader8613

http://www.inquisitr.com/2960529/duggar-tv-show-destined-to-be-cancelled-as-more-advertisers-flee-how-josh-duggar-made-duggars-radioactive-video/

I believe they came up with the best new name for the show "counting on: cancellation!"

I think they're done.  No one wants to touch them and every episode, in addition to being boring, is so obviously contrived that even the humpers have to recognize that they are frauds.  I hate to say it, but the only hope of saving themselves is to bring Joshly back to flagellate himself on air.  It still wont bring back the advertisers because no one wants to give money to these people, and advertising is giving them money.

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Sigh, yes... and my cable and internet are now functional so I'll be here suffering so you dont have to!

Wine aplenty! Thanks for sacrificing your evening! I'll be here!, of course....

But...but, if Inquisitr is right, and the show is cancelled, there will be nothing for us to snark on. Poor Buzzard will be out of a job, and will have no reason to drink wine. Let's think this through, people. :martinismiley:

3 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

But...but, if Inquisitr is right, and the show is cancelled, there will be nothing for us to snark on. Poor Buzzard will be out of a job, and will have no reason to drink wine. Let's think this through, people. :martinismiley:

After all these years, I'm fine heading off into recap retirement.  The Duggars may go off the air but they arent going away.  Plus, there is a WHOLE INTERNET of stupid out there for us to play with!

1 minute ago, Buzzard said:

After all these years, I'm fine heading off into recap retirement.  The Duggars may go off the air but they arent going away.  Plus, there is a WHOLE INTERNET of stupid out there for us to play with!

what do you mean they aren't going away - I need the show to be cancelled soon  - just saw a preview all about Joy's episode - bang your head against the wall fun

no one will care about Jessa when she adopts at a speaking engagement - unless some of you go to these speaking engagements and see her talking to spud in a corner - she needs to fade off into Chicago and cut Ben's hair correctly 

The Duggars arent going to get real jobs.  If the show goes, they'll find ways to pimp themselves and their children.  They will maintain an internet footprint.  We'll still have plenty to discuss. 

10 hours ago, EmCatlyn said:

Yes, I agree.  Legally, the folks at TLC are covered.  So long as the abuse was only suspected and rumored, the network folks had no obligation to report it.  But they would not have been putting themselves at risk for legal action if they had chosen to alert CPS, who could then have investigated. 

By the way, I think you meant hearsay, but heresy works also in a different way. (It could be argued that to Duggar fans, any criticism is heresy. ;) )

Ha! I knew it! I kept trying hearsy and similar and it wasn't working.

2 minutes ago, blessalessi said:

Heresy for hearsay was fantastic! :D

Let's all pretend I meant to do that.

56 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

http://www.inquisitr.com/2960529/duggar-tv-show-destined-to-be-cancelled-as-more-advertisers-flee-how-josh-duggar-made-duggars-radioactive-video/

I believe they came up with the best new name for the show "counting on: cancellation!"

I think they're done.  No one wants to touch them and every episode, in addition to being boring, is so obviously contrived that even the humpers have to recognize that they are frauds.  I hate to say it, but the only hope of saving themselves is to bring Joshly back to flagellate himself on air.  It still wont bring back the advertisers because no one wants to give money to these people, and advertising is giving them money.

I agree. The best thing for them ratings-wise is to put all their dysfunction out there. Right now, having Anna on the show and just talking about Josh is stupid. Either include him and his "redemption" fully or leave him--and by extension, his wife and children--out of it completely.

23 hours ago, OyToTheVey said:

I'm a mandated reporter. I also have to follow HIPAA laws and not disclose any information regarding my students, their parents, any specifics in the house,etc. HUGE HOWEVER, all that goes in the shitter if gdforbid I notice anything suspicious. I am required by law to immediately report any wrongdoing I observe. Obviously, a bruise on a knee of a toddler is normal but if the bruise is in the shape of a human hand and it's on an arm that's suspicious family behavior I would report if I got no plausible explanation. It's a very thin line between reporting and HIPAA.

I would assume that a non disclosure agreement goes in the trash if a sound guy or videographer notices something isn't right. But I also assume that TLC would tell that guy to shut up and not ruin his career because that show brings in a lot of money. If he feels strongly about it he would need an excellent lawyer on his side. One with endless pockets.  

I'm chiming in late here.

I agree, but it's not really a thin line between mandatory reporting and HIPAA.   Mandatory Reporting laws for Child and Vulnerable Adult/Elder Abuse laws trump HIPAA conclusively.  This is very clearly spelled out in  45 C.F.R. 164.512(b)(1)(ii). 

Covered Entities are required to spell mandatory reporting out as exceptions to confidentiality when consumers are informed of their rights under HIPAA.  Some hide it in the small print, but it is there.  Speaking as a former Protective services person here - and all this was debated and dealt with prior to the implementation of HIPAA.

I'm not a lawyer but I would think if a TLC or any reality show employee (mandated to report or not) reported child abuse:

1. The reporter's name is always kept confidential so the employer could not invoke a non-disclosure cause to fire an employee (although they might have their suspicions and treat that employee very badly).

2. TLC could not successfully sue that employee for breaching the non-disclosure agreement.  Whistle-blower laws trump non-disclosure agreements.

3.  TLC would not want to try invoke the non-disclosure agreement and sue the employee anyway.  Why draw public attention to suspected child abuse on the show? 

27 minutes ago, Palimpsest said:

I'm not a lawyer but I would think if a TLC or any reality show employee (mandated to report or not) reported child abuse:

1. The reporter's name is always kept confidential so the employer could not invoke a non-disclosure cause to fire an employee (although they might have their suspicions and treat that employee very badly).

2. TLC could not successfully sue that employee for breaching the non-disclosure agreement.  Whistle-blower laws trump non-disclosure agreements.

3.  TLC would not want to try invoke the non-disclosure agreement and sue the employee anyway.  Why draw public attention to suspected child abuse on the show? 

Devil's Advocate:

1. If TLC figured out who the reporter was or even suspected, if it chose to, it would be able to drum up with a "valid" reason to fire that person, maybe not immediately, but down the line. And retaliatory discharge claims are very difficult to prove, especially if the company waits a few months before terminating the whistleblower and terminates then for "legitimate" reasons.

Not to mention that if word of what happened gets out to other employers in the reporter's field (and lawsuits are public record), it may hamper his or her ability to get another job in that field, and he or she would certainly never work for TLC again.

2. It depends on the state's anti-retaliation/whistleblower's laws. They vary, and in at least one state I practice in, the whistleblower is required to actually prove that a violation of state law occurred, not just reasonably believe it, to be protected. In another state, the legislature explicitly deleted the employee whistle blower protection language of a mandatory reporting statute that potentially imposes a penalty on the employee for not reporting. Not to mention that you may have to jump through several layers of in-company reporting before the law will apply to you. 

I have no idea what Arkansas's law (or whatever law governs the Non-Disclosure/Confidentiality Agreement) is, though. 

3. If there turns out to be an investigation, then avoiding bad publicity might not be the biggest issue for TLC. TLC has a very vested interest in enforcing those Non-Disclosure/Confidentiality Agreements and it might find it better to make an example out of one employee/contractor, even if they were doing what was right, than risk others doing the same thing under other circumstances to make a buck. Companies have weird priorities sometimes, and they would most likely counter sue for damages for the breach if they were sued for retaliation.

I am in no way advocating not reporting abuse.  I firmly believe that it should always be reported, no matter what.  I'm just pointing out that the protection for the reporter is not nearly as black and white as it should be and, depending on the company and its culture (and the industry, of course, I'd hope that most employers would value this sort of reporting) the reporter may be risking their livelihood to report.  Gotta love pro-employer, pro-business, conservative legislatures! Or, you know, not. Local elections matter, y'all! 

I'm only seeing 2 more episodes on my directv app.  The one tonight and next week "ben drops a beat."  I thought there were going to be 12 horrible episodes! Could it be possible that TLC has to fill the slot with reruns of whatever so they can make some money with the time slot?  Its a pretty good slot... 

Part of me expects a burn off of the remaining 4 episodes at 10 PM on a saturday night, if there ever were 12. 

15 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I'm only seeing 2 more episodes on my directv app.  The one tonight and next week "ben drops a beat."  I thought there were going to be 12 horrible episodes! Could it be possible that TLC has to fill the slot with reruns of whatever so they can make some money with the time slot?  Its a pretty good slot... 

Part of me expects a burn off of the remaining 4 episodes at 10 PM on a saturday night, if there ever were 12. 

Ben drops a beat? Oh I seriously cannot wait for that. So Ben is the new Christian Eminem? Bad hairstyle and all? Off to buy popcorn and rum. 

On 4/2/2016 at 4:53 PM, quiverofdoubt said:

I vaguely remember this episode- in a "i saw the promos but not the whole thing" kind of way. What exactly was this "sex talk"? Curious minds need to know. Or was it plain old "wait for the right guy, don't do anything till then, you're female body is shameful and doesn't belong to you"

I remember that episode. Josiah and Joseph actually shot turkeys, and Jim Bob didn't, and he acted weirdly jealous of them.

I think the season is supposed to have 8 episodes.

I am seriously looking forward to the Ben episode. It's going to be a funny one.

15 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

I think the season is supposed to have 8 episodes.

I am seriously looking forward to the Ben episode. It's going to be a funny one.

Will the hat be backwards entirely, to a side, a bit of both?  So many options!

I am watching the clips on the TLC site. There is an interview with Jana and Jinger. They are asked how it's different being an Aunt than being a sibling. And Jinger says as an aunt, it's nice to just pass them back when they get fussy.

Sad that she couldn't pass a fussy sibling back to her mother. 

Watched the Jessa video where she nicknames her bangs "Molly." Why exactly would someone need a "code" to ask how their bangs look?

6 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

They are asked how it's different being an Aunt than being a sibling. And Jinger says as an aunt, it's nice to just pass them back when they get fussy.

Isn't that something that Grandparents are supposed to say?! Poor loves. :(

1 hour ago, socalrules said:

Ben drops a beat? Oh I seriously cannot wait for that. So Ben is the new Christian Eminem? Bad hairstyle and all? Off to buy popcorn and rum. 

Hm. Let's see. Do I wanna spend an hour of my precious time in Las Vegas next Tuesday night watching this to see  Ben drop a beat? *ponders* Nah. There is eating, gambling, and partying to be done. 

Is it wrong of me to wish that the real Eminem would read this, find Bin, and beat the crap out of him on camera for impersonating a real rapper? Now that's a Duggar-related show I'd watch.

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I remember that episode. Josiah and Joseph actually shot turkeys, and Jim Bob didn't, and he acted weirdly jealous of them.

JimBob is a highly insecure male and one of the reasons Gothard appealed to him was the automatic granting of "closest to God" status of the head male of the household.  He has always had an unhealthy competition with his sons, probably from birth, first for Michelle's attention, and then in any thing they do.  JimBob always has to best them.  That's probably why he has no compunction about limiting their ability to earn a living, get an education, etc.  After all, if they got a decent education, they might go on to a successful career and accomplish something in the world/earn more than he ever has, thus outshining JimBob and his used car lot.

I wonder if any of his sons have figured this out yet. 

1 hour ago, Buzzard said:

Will the hat be backwards entirely, to a side, a bit of both?  So many options!

OMG, we need to start making memes in the style of Scumbag Steve. He has the same stupid look on his face and everything.

18 minutes ago, EmmieJ said:

JimBob is a highly insecure male and one of the reasons Gothard appealed to him was the automatic granting of "closest to God" status of the head male of the household.  He has always had an unhealthy competition with his sons, probably from birth, first for Michelle's attention, and then in any thing they do.  JimBob always has to best them.  That's probably why he has no compunction about limiting their ability to earn a living, get an education, etc.  After all, if they got a decent education, they might go on to a successful career and accomplish something in the world/earn more than he ever has, thus outshining JimBob and his used car lot.

I wonder if any of his sons have figured this out yet. 

I wonder about that, too. I completely agree with you, even earlier episodes have a creepy "bet you can't one up me" vibe from him like when he wanted to beat John at that rock climb thing on Joy's (I think??) birthday.

But we don't have enough sons who have really "aged out" yet. Josh, his own disaster, was pretty much the only son with a specific "public face." the next two oldest are John and Joe and literally what do we know about them???? basically nothing.

but that's going to change really quickly in the next 4-5 years.

2 hours ago, socalrules said:

Oh this is going to be epic! :D

"Now that she's all grown up"? Please. She's 18. She should be going to her senior prom, thinking about college or living on her own. She should NOT be thinking about bringing more uneducated blessings into the world.

• Coconut Flan pinned this topic
  • choralcrusader8613 locked and unpinned this topic

Archived