IGNORED

Fans Who Send the Duggars Gifts or Make Personal Requests

roddma

On 4/10/2016 at 10:10 AM, Fascinated said:

I know this to be true because, in university, my husband had a perpetually pregnant guppy.

I cannot stop laughing at the phrase "perpetually pregnant guppy"... I am clearly very immature!!!!!

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/10/2016 at 8:10 PM, Fascinated said:

my husband had a perpetually pregnant guppy. 

Was it related to Dede?

On 4/3/2016 at 5:51 AM, Closed Womb said:

Celebrities of all kinds get gifts from individuals and corporations.  They all get personal requests.  

Doing these things for weird reality celebs doesn't make it any more strange than sending gifts to other celebrities.  It all makes me go "huh?", but some folks feel like they know people they see on the screen. 

Personally, I'm more bothered by major corporations that give people in the public eye free stuff.  I remember Rosie O'Donnell quipping about it many years ago (on her talk show): now that she has the money to buy whatever she wants, she rarely has to buy anything.  She would just get cases of free stuff so she'd be photographed using it.  If there was something she mentioned specifically on the air, it would just show up in bulk.  

It all weirds me out, but I'd rather some Bates kid get a handmade baby blanket or something off a wedding registry than big name celebrities getting cases of the latest brand of vitamin enhanced water.  

The gift bags that celebs at the Oscars get are so valuable that they're now charged income taxes if they accept the gift bag.  I mentioned my bestest friend and her boyfriend, now fiance, before.  This past Oscars, they were both offered the bags, and both turned them down.  They didn't want to pay something like $40k in taxes for stuff they wouldn't have bought anyway.  Those bags include everything from jewelry to sunglasses to weekend getaways to luxury resorts.  She's not rich, but she's bugged by the free stuff she is now starting to get just for being close enough to a bona fide celebrity, because the more you can afford to buy for yourself, or the more companies think you can buy (they don't know that she's turned down joint checking with Mr. Multi-millionaire when he's offered), the less you have to buy.  It's like, here she is, struggling to pay her own bills because she refuses to accept her fiance's help until they're married and living together officially, yet because she's perceived to be rich, here are some Chanel sunglasses, a trip to Puerto Vallarta, and some diamond bracelets.  (The stuff's hard to quickly resell as a price that would make the taxes worth paying.)

But until just a few years ago, there was no taxes.  The IRS managed to get taxes started by making the case that the gift bags are payment for appearing at the Oscars.  

On 4/3/2016 at 6:46 AM, MoonFace said:

Sadly, too many people think that because someone is famous that they are smarter than the average person on the street - or have some sort of magical insight into whatever is happening in the world. 

Case in point:   if your favorite movie star comes out in favor of a certain political candidate, why then you should also vote for that candidate as well.    

How many times has there been some sort of major news story and one of those entertainment news shows will ask for the stars reaction to whatever it was.    

I have wondered why this is so for so many years - 

But the opposite is also true.  Celebs are more often treated like idiots.  Ian Somerhalder's treated like a god for that foundation he has, though he's really a poser, and I'll keep quiet on some of the less savory stuff I know, while Leonardo Dicaprio, who really is as much of a dick behind the scenes as Ian, at least does understand causes in depth, yet is treated by a lot of people like he's an idiot.  Remember his Oscars speech?  A lot of people said he's just an actor, not a scientist, so he should shut up and act.

On 4/3/2016 at 7:55 AM, ClaraOswin said:

Some celebrities to notice/respond to some fans.

I've had a couple celebrities respond to or retweet things I've said on Twitter a couple times. I wasn't talking directly TO them or asking them anything. I just tweeted about them and they saw it. One was an actor from a t.v. show and I tweeted that I was "Team*hischaractername" and he ended up seeing it and retweeting it. I guess he must have been searching for that particular hash tag or something.

I have a friend who thinks celebs are her "friends" after they do that though. And that's so weird.

The president, as in his personal Twitter account, follows my husband, and I've got a lot of famous people who've followed me for years, before my BFF started dating one.  I don't see someone being a Twitter follower of mine as being friends though.  They're just interested in my posts.  It is thrilling to get a follower whose name everyone in the developed world knows.  Do you know what's really interesting?  A lot of celeb Titter accounts are partly fake.  One of them who is a friend of mine was supposedly somewhere where he wasn't for a week last month, because he was sick, but didn't want the world to know what he's dealing with.  So he was really vague in his postings so it sounded like he was where he was scheduled to be (it's not like he had any appearances he was expected to do) when the truth was he was home getting over being pretty sick.  The world doesn't take kindly to celebrities getting sick and missing things.  So what you see isn't always what's really happening.  Part of the brand is appearing invincible and not sharing that you're throwing up so much that a plane couldn't get off the ground with you on it.  Who wants to think of one of the sexiest men alive bent over the toilet sacrificing his lunch?  NO ONE, so hello, false posts!

And then no one's the wiser.

On 4/3/2016 at 8:49 AM, Flossie said:

Because for whatever reason people identify with the celebrity in question.  The problem is, that some people forge a completely fabricated connection and can't break it when it becomes obvious that their 'friend' isn't all that.

I liked Mel Gibson back in the day.  I didn't fantisize about marrying him or try to find ways to meet him, but I still had a soft spot in my heart for him.  Then I watched a televised interview with him where he was revealed to be an asshole.  Over the years, more and more stories have come out, some with audio or visual to back up the story.  Now I'm just mad that knowing more about the man behind the actor has detracted from my enjoyment of some of my favorite films.

I was a major fan of a character in a major franchise until some shit that went down that's not public.  I hate the person behind the character so much that I can't watch the movies now without wishing the character would die.  I really, really, really, really, really wish I could share what this is because the person is a fucking diseased asshole that has a really great public image.

But on the other side, someone I've become closer friends with the last few weeks is so much greater than the public knows, and I've become a fan of his work just because of how much of a kind soul he is, and am really excited about a movie he's in that's supposed to come out in 2018.

Mel Gibson and Tom Cruise have both make their real selves known well.  I can't watch any of their movies now.

On 4/9/2016 at 1:41 PM, Elvis Presby said:

How can you tell if a fish is constipated?  :confused2:

Their abdomens puff out in a certain spot while narrowing in another.  I'm a betta-keeper and deal with it sometimes.  Fasting aside from mashed peas helps it.

2 hours ago, Jingerbread said:

The gift bags that celebs at the Oscars get are so valuable that they're now charged income taxes if they accept the gift bag.  I mentioned my bestest friend and her boyfriend, now fiance, before.  This past Oscars, they were both offered the bags, and both turned them down.  They didn't want to pay something like $40k in taxes for stuff they wouldn't have bought anyway.  Those bags include everything from jewelry to sunglasses to weekend getaways to luxury resorts.  She's not rich, but she's bugged by the free stuff she is now starting to get just for being close enough to a bona fide celebrity, because the more you can afford to buy for yourself, or the more companies think you can buy (they don't know that she's turned down joint checking with Mr. Multi-millionaire when he's offered), the less you have to buy.  It's like, here she is, struggling to pay her own bills because she refuses to accept her fiance's help until they're married and living together officially, yet because she's perceived to be rich, here are some Chanel sunglasses, a trip to Puerto Vallarta, and some diamond bracelets.  (The stuff's hard to quickly resell as a price that would make the taxes worth paying.)

But until just a few years ago, there was no taxes.  The IRS managed to get taxes started by making the case that the gift bags are payment for appearing at the Oscars.  

But the opposite is also true.  Celebs are more often treated like idiots.  Ian Somerhalder's treated like a god for that foundation he has, though he's really a poser, and I'll keep quiet on some of the less savory stuff I know, while Leonardo Dicaprio, who really is as much of a dick behind the scenes as Ian, at least does understand causes in depth, yet is treated by a lot of people like he's an idiot.  Remember his Oscars speech?  A lot of people said he's just an actor, not a scientist, so he should shut up and act.

Never paid attention to Ian Somerhalder, lol. I'm surprised by the mention of DiCaprio. His Instagram is usually filled to the brim with posts about the environment instead of a 1,000 selfies. From what I saw, some people accused him of lying about climate change and pushing a "liberal" agenda.

4 hours ago, Jingerbread said:

Hi everyone I am coming out of years of lurkdom to comment on this:

I *love* Ian Somerhalder for having that foundation. I have no doubt he is a dick, a poser, and quite likely a player but he is raising awareness about animal welfare and environmental issues amongst the younger generations.

*Hides back in hell*

2 hours ago, ChairmanMeow said:

Hi everyone I am coming out of years of lurkdom to comment on this:

I *love* Ian Somerhalder for having that foundation. I have no doubt he is a dick, a poser, and quite likely a player but he is raising awareness about animal welfare and environmental issues amongst the younger generations.

*Hides back in hell*

I love the foundation itself, even bought a bunch of tshirts to support it and one of them is among my favorite shirts, which is why it kills me that he's a entitled asshole who can be really pushy when he's interested in a woman (word is he's stopped at last that since getting married, but still) and a hypocrite who doesn't usually practice what he preaches.  

(I'm not accusing him of assault, just that he verbally wouldn't take no for an answer, kept trying to badger a friend with the whole "you know you want me" type bs that's legal, until he got his face smashed.  I can't watch TVD anymore because of this.)

So now that your friend is engaged to the celeb, are you allowed to share who it is? Nosy Nellies like me want to know. Haha! :)

6 hours ago, ClaraOswin said:

So now that your friend is engaged to the celeb, are you allowed to share who it is? Nosy Nellies like me want to know. Haha! :)

It's not my news to spill to the public.  When they make it public, you'll probably figure it out without me saying.  Because of how the industry is, it'll be a major event.  If you think having the wedding you want when you're just dealing with family is hard, try being in a position where not inviting an industry mogul could damage your career.  At this point, there's not even a tentative date set, and no rush, because they really don't want a circus, and it's going to mean her losing her anonymity and her kid being put in the spotlight.  What happened to women daring to be near Tom is something they're worried about with her and her kid.  You don't get publicly tied to one of the biggest celebs without it happening.  Why do you think publicists and everyone doesn't bother to say anything when a celeb's tied to a different other celeb every other week when they might not even be on good terms with the laters supposed flavor of the biweek? 

It can be really easy to get star-struck when you don't know these people.  When you're on terms where they tell you they'll check on something for you when they're done pooping, it gets hard to see them as anything more than regular people.  I swear I've had texts, "Sure, let me finish taking this shit, then I'll blah blah."  Well.  Thanks.  I really needed or wanted to know we're chatting while you're vacating your bowels.  Make sure you wash your hands.

I'd like to ask that everyone remember that actors are regular people with jobs.  They're not reality TV people who want you to think you're getting to know them  Actors do their jobs, get paid, go home where there are no cameras.  They're better known and rich, but just regular people who want their private lives.  The Duggars want people in public to give them attention because they're selling their lives.  Celebs are selling the results of their work.  Their movies and TV shows.  When you see someone with a hat or sunglasses on, they're trying to not be noticed.  It's really sad that you can have a group of six actors who are close friends, but they can't go see a movie together because they'll be dogpiled by fans recognizing them.  Usually two go together.  Don't send celebs more than letters.  Not to their homes.  If you want to send a gift, make a donation to a charity in their names and have the thank-you card sent to the celeb.  

I know it sounds all exciting to know people, but these people are regular people doing a job.  Speculate on the lives of people selling their lives.   Don't speculate in movie actors.   Their lives isn't what they're selling.

Celebrities are just people too, but I'm going to go on a forum to post about their personal lives in multiple threads for attention. Okayyy. 

:roll:

Actually, I doubt it will even blip on my radar when the "news" is "spilled." I don't really follow much in the way of celebrity's personal lives. But since you kept bringing it up, I figured you were excited to talk about it so I asked. Tons of people know or are friends with celebrities but I would gather that most of them don't go talking about their celeb friends' bowel movements on an internet forum.

Its the same with musicians. Some are really sweet, care about their fans and stand strongly behind their charity work (3 Doors Down and Better Life, for example) and others are just entitled jerks who attach their name to something for the tax write off.  Honestly I could care less about any of them.  I do think its cool when Mark Zuckerburg donates computers to an entire school district, Ellen giving supplies to the Detroit schools, all the water and filter donations for Flint, etc. But I'm not more inclined to buy something because a celeb wears it, uses it (well ok there's things I might or might not buy for my husband because I saw Alton Brown use it on an episode of Good Eats but...)  I really admire those celebs who do keep to themselves, keep their kids relatively grounded and out of the public eye.  That to me says more than an endorsement.

I think too it has to be hard for kids of celebs.  Sure they get to have lots of things, go cool places. But on that same note, its being a normal kid and going out without a security detail, having to attend private schools rather than good public ones, not having to wonder who your friends really are vs people just wanting to be seen with you and/or your parents. Having your parents be gone so much and being raised by nannies. I don't envy that part of it at all.

I feel like Nashville has given me a jilted view of Celebrities, most here are down to earth and treat you like they would anyone else. :my_cool:

Looks like Jingerbread is away at banned camp. That's good, she has more time to hang with all of her celebrity friends rather than posting about them all the time. :pb_lol:

1 minute ago, iweartanktops said:

Looks like Jingerbread is away at banned camp. That's good, she has more time to hang with all of her celebrity friends rather than posting about them all the time. :pb_lol:

I was just coming to post and say thank you to everyone who brought Jingerbread to our attention, Dgayle is now banned along with her celebrity insider sock Jingerbread :)

This is the second sock we have caught in the last several days.

3 minutes ago, Curious said:

I was just coming to post and say thank you to everyone who brought Jingerbread to our attention, Dgayle is now banned along with her celebrity insider sock Jingerbread :) 

I'm no super-sleuth but this does not surprise me one bit! 

:dance::clap::happy-cheerleadersmileyguy:

2 minutes ago, iweartanktops said:

I'm no super-sleuth but this does not surprise me one bit! 

:dance::clap::happy-cheerleadersmileyguy:

Truth always outs :) 

7 minutes ago, Curious said:

This is the second sock we have caught in the last several days.

No way! Brilliant @Curious.  Well done all.

I know the other poster you're referring to. Who was the sock?

Can I just say that this thread is weird? Not for the thing it is about, but for the things it keeps outing...

Or something.

*looks confused*

Sock-fish-person?

5 minutes ago, THERetroGamerNY said:

Can I just say that this thread is weird? Not for the thing it is about, but for the things it keeps outing...

Or something.

*looks confused*

Sock-fish-person?

This thread is certainly all over the place, but I don't recall anything else outed. I guess some may consider Colors to be outed, but it's just speculation.*

I love that my phone suggests specularium :)

Yeah, true... Just the one outing then.

My phone now suggests "fucky". Little joys in life.

Difference between Duggars and celebs

Celebs-known for something. Works hard.  Designers, chefs, actors,models, athletes, producers,directors. Doesn't seem out attention. 

Duggars-Known for having lots of sex. Uneducated,talentless, loves attention. Pimps out family. Wants free handouts. Wants tlc and fans to pay for their large family. 

Then there's Kim K and the kardashions clan. But at least they actually have to work. Kris is a real legit pimp. Kim has to post make pictures every hour. That's hard work. 

Archived