IGNORED

Fans Who Send the Duggars Gifts or Make Personal Requests

roddma

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, THERetroGamerNY said:

Don't you get all dipthongy-sentence-diagrammy with me! *shakes fist into air*

Actually, I was having a brain wreck.  Dieresis, the two dot symbol that looks like the umlaut, is what breaks diphthongs.  I still think you can't use diphthong as an insult.  But I better go back and diagram a sentence or two as penance for my mistake.

Also called diéresis in Spanish. My Spanish teacher called it that, and the rest of us called it an umlaut because we'd studied German first. So diéresis to all. :playful2:

I know we are sort of off the topic of giving the Duggars gifts. I did send Jill and Derick a few gifts before Izzy was born. I made them a sign that said "The Dillard Family, Established June 21, 2014," some 12-month stickers (which they didn't use, clearly since they had the Pistol Pete ones -_-), and a CD of Baby's First Hymns which I found at Wally World. I don't know why I sent them stuff, but I just wanted to. I did get a postcard from them after he was born, thanking me for my gift.

Because they played upon your sympathetic nature, with their effervescent smiles, their charming long hair, and their wholesome skirts and little ways.

Got you to warm up to their cult, and then you sent them free stuff and cannot even figure out why.

Their the type of Christian who will accept gifts from you with bubbly joy, while simultaneously telling you why you're an ungodly woman going to Hell ... And they know just the precise legalistic religion to save your soul.

(Just me.)

In addition to being constipated, fish can have struggles giving birth.  I know this to be true because, in university, my husband had a perpetually pregnant guppy.  My husband read up on it (no Google then, sadly), and learned that heating things up will get things moving nicely.  

Trigger Warning:  It did not end well for the pregnant fish!!!

So he put the fishbowl, containing the helpless mother, in the microwave.  Just for a few seconds, but it was enough. Devastated, he tried to rescue the poor babies, but I'm not going to tell you how or you'd never speak to me again.

Back in the day I had a boyfriend who was in the band of a very famous musician. He wasn't an official "gatekeeper" but lived in a house down the driveway from the star's home. You wouldn't believe the number of people who would just drive up (and this guy lived off the beaten track--you had to look for it) and expect to drop in unannounced and visit, sell a guitar, jam for a while, whatever. And this was way before reality TV and thinking you had an inside view of people's living rooms.

I do agree some gift givers are just trying to be nice, some may want publicity for their crafts, but most want to somehow feel emotionally connected--look how many people send gifts to royal couples at their weddings or to royal babies. They certainly can't believe that William and Kate aren't able to provide their kids with a blanket. Famous people make it very clear that they donate the gifts to charity (unless they are Kardashians) but people send them anyway.

2 hours ago, patsymae said:

Back in the day I had a boyfriend who was in the band of a very famous musician. He wasn't an official "gatekeeper" but lived in a house down the driveway from the star's home. You wouldn't believe the number of people who would just drive up (and this guy lived off the beaten track--you had to look for it) and expect to drop in unannounced and visit, sell a guitar, jam for a while, whatever. And this was way before reality TV and thinking you had an inside view of people's living rooms.

I do agree some gift givers are just trying to be nice, some may want publicity for their crafts, but most want to somehow feel emotionally connected--look how many people send gifts to royal couples at their weddings or to royal babies. They certainly can't believe that William and Kate aren't able to provide their kids with a blanket. Famous people make it very clear that they donate the gifts to charity (unless they are Kardashians) but people send them anyway.

Curiosity is killing me on who your boyfriend was!

I don't think I've sent a gift to any famous or "famous" people. I did (sort of) invite the members of a not-very-well known band to my wedding. We had mutual friends and I only invited them because without their band, I wouldn't have met my husband. (They didn't attend.)

5 hours ago, Grimalkin said:

I thought a diphthong was a cousin of the manatee. 

I confused a dugong with a diphthong. And it so happens that dugongs are related to manatees.

These gentle giants are found in the Indo-West Pacific and are vulnerable to extinction.

image.jpeg

On April 8, 2016 at 3:21 PM, SilverBeach said:

Maybe a cult survivor thread would be appropriate there as well. What you said is totally how I see discussions of these types of subjects, but it wasn't clear to me why cult survivors had the disclaimer specially directed at them in this thread.

Free Jinger!  So now that we freed ya, where we gonna put ya?  

On 4/9/2016 at 7:55 PM, THERetroGamerNY said:

Because they played upon your sympathetic nature, with their effervescent smiles, their charming long hair, and their wholesome skirts and little ways.

Got you to warm up to their cult, and then you sent them free stuff and cannot even figure out why.

Their the type of Christian who will accept gifts from you with bubbly joy, while simultaneously telling you why you're an ungodly woman going to Hell ... And they know just the precise legalistic religion to save your soul.

(Just me.)

The funny thing is I am agnostic and I believe their religion is total crap. Lol. I just think that I am a nice person.

8 minutes ago, Bugaboo said:

The funny thing is I am agnostic and I believe their religion is total crap. Lol. I just think that I am a nice person.

Unquestionably you are nice, that's not even an issue. :)

Your original post instantly reminded me of this one story over at Recovering Grace: http://www.recoveringgrace.org/2012/07/what-have-you-done-with-my-daughter/

Daughter is nice ;has a generous nature; and has now found happiness in Christianity. Some idiot swoops right in, almost like a damned predator, to take advantage of her good nature.

On April 9, 2016 at 6:07 PM, iweartanktops said:

@Mecca, we're snarking on a photo of your favorite politician! :pb_lol:

Urg! The way Cruz smiles just pisses me off!! 

23 minutes ago, Mecca said:

Me, too. It's just so smarmy, smug, and self-satisfied. Just like Paul Ryan. :pb_evil:

I bought a copy of Time magazine on Saturday. It has Cruz on the front cover. My mum and I both thought he had a very feminine face for some reason. I specifically said it looked like he was wearing mascara.

On 4/10/2016 at 1:20 AM, StepMonsterInLA said:

Free Jinger!  So now that we freed ya, where we gonna put ya?  

?

This is from way back in the thread, but Jill Rodrigues had already scored the invite to the Erin Bates wedding. There's a pic on her blog post where she's holding up the half-finished blanket she made as a gift. I thought the pattern was cute, but that the colors were very drab and neutral, especially for a newlywed gift.

And when Jill got to the wedding, she managed to corner a horrified-looking Anna Duggar for a selfie. I've seen animals in cages that didn't look as desperate to escape their captors as Anna did right then.

On 4/10/2016 at 2:07 AM, Grimalkin said:

I confused a dugong with a diphthong. And it so happens that dugongs are related to manatees.

These gentle giants are found in the Indo-West Pacific and are vulnerable to extinction.

image.jpeg

Looks constipated.

On Sunday, April 10, 2016 at 8:52 PM, patsymae said:

I'm really aging myself here, but when I was in college, the guy who marched next to me in marching band in the 1984-85 season was utterly obsessed with the gymnast Mary Lou Retton. At first it was kind of cute. He would throw his arms up and say we "stuck it" when we finished a routine without issue. Then it got weird. Our school was in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, about an 8 hour drive from Mary Lou's family home in West Virginia. He actually went to her family's home and knocked on the door, saying he was with our student newspaper and he had an interview scheduled with her. Of course he was not permitted in the house. Instead, he went to the backyard and slid down the sliding board of their swimming pool, recreating a photo of Mary Lou that had been in People magazine. He had the friend who was with him take a picture. He somehow got the phone number of the place she was staying in Houston and tried calling her more than once. He also sent her a bunch of stuff (I don't remember the specific stuff). I remember saying to him that it went beyond cute and funny and he was getting a little scary. The term stalker wasn't widely used at the time, but he was a stalker.

On April 11, 2016 at 11:02 PM, Mecca said:

I saw Ted Cruz on Seth Myers last week, I think.  The next guest was a comedian, I don't remember his name.  His opinion of Ted Cruz was something like," He looks happy and sad at the same time." :)

2 hours ago, Jucifer said:

I saw Ted Cruz on Seth Myers last week, I think.  The next guest was a comedian, I don't remember his name.  His opinion of Ted Cruz was something like," He looks happy and sad at the same time." :)

Something about Ted Cruz reminds me of Lyndon Johnson, same sort of smarmy smile. Of course Johnson was an actual Texan, not a Canadian one.

4 hours ago, Ungodly Grandma said:

Something about Ted Cruz reminds me of Lyndon Johnson, same sort of smarmy smile. Of course Johnson was an actual Texan, not a Canadian one.

as a Canadian - I don't like him :D 

I find him smary and always looks like he wants to cry 

1 hour ago, nst said:

as a Canadian - I don't like him :D 

I find him smary and always looks like he wants to cry 

Ha ha if YOU were Ted Cruz, wouldn't you want to cry? I sure would! 

I have had to stand next to Ted Cruz while covering a campaign event, and it took all of my journalistic integrity to not cringe or roll my eyes at the words that came out of his mouth. He really does have the most punch-able face EVER. However, I do want to say this. While I listened to Cruz drone on and on, something important occurred to me. As despicable as Trump is, I think he simply says crazy stuff because he knows he will get a reaction out of his loyal fanbase. As for Cruz, I realized he TRULY believes every wackadoo thing he says. He really believes his own word vomit. Cruz is cuckoo for cocoa puffs. And, that's what I took away from seeing the man up close and in person. Hopefully, I never have to do that again.

Archived