IGNORED

Fans Who Send the Duggars Gifts or Make Personal Requests

roddma

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, happy atheist said:

The first celebrity I ever met was Ed Asner. 

How many did you meet after Ed Asner?  And what are their names? You ought not leave us hanging like that.

In the late 70s, Katharine Hepburn said hello to me in the library of my small hometown in Florida. The area was full of "old money" and private estates..she had friends who had a home there and had come to visit them.  I looked up from the books, accidentally caught her eye, and she smiled and said "Hello" then I said "Hello" and that was it. But it was cool! She had a sunhat on and it reminded me of seeing her in African Queen. 

Oh, and an ex and I visited the tiny town of Micanopy, FL just days after they'd filmed scenes from the movie Doc Hollywood there and there was still fake stuff all over the place. We had no idea what it was about until someone there mentioned it. We didn't see any stars...just props. 

Oh, and when I was a little girl, we lived in California briefly and my parents took us to some movie studio for the tour and I saw the actual Creature From the Black Lagoon costume!  (Does that count?)

One of the actresses from 'Call the Midwife' goes to the same playgroup as me. I can't talk to her due to extreme introvertedness and the fact that she looks quite shy too. I did encourage her kid down a slide though. 

I realise this probably means nothing outside of the UK/Ireland. 

Just now, Tikobaby said:

In the late 70s, Katharine Hepburn said hello to me in the library of my small hometown in Florida. The area was full of "old money" and private estates..she had friends who had a home there and had come to visit them.  I looked up from the books, accidentally caught her eye, and she smiled and said "Hello" then I said "Hello" and that was it. But it was cool! She had a sunhat on and it reminded me of seeing her in African Queen. 

That's actually a legitimately cool celebrity run in. 

Ok, I get it.  I wasn't actually in Serendipity per se.  But, years ago, I was in NYC (I rarely go there but my massive brushes with celebrity seem to occur there - weird, that) with my parents, and we, naturally, went to Saks Fifth Avenue.  We needed to go up some floors so we summoned the elevator.

The doors opened.

And out stepped....a woman whose face was obscured by long black hair....

Yep!  Yoko Ono!!!!  

Ok, we didn't exchange pleasantries or anything but she looked at us for a second. (Actually, I'm not at all sure she did, what with the eye obstruction and all.)

11 minutes ago, EmainMacha said:

One of the actresses from 'Call the Midwife' goes to the same playgroup as me. I can't talk to her due to extreme introverdness and the fact that she looks quite shy too. I did encourage her kid down a slide though. 

It means something here in Australia too - I watched that show for the first few series, but not recently.  Actually I've been feeling a little left out of the famous people discussion, so here goes.  There will be a very limited audience of people who will have heard of my one celebrity encounter - but I have an autograph to prove it. Back in the early 80s I saw Shane Porteous from A Country Practice. Omg I loved that show.  Did you watch it, @Blahblah?

I can't believe I forgot! In addition to my riveting scene as a flutist in the marching band in "Rocky III",  one of my closest blood relatives was a production assistant for Cesar Milan and appeared several times in "The Dog Whisperer" :dogwalker:

I was in NYC one time, I swear on my life that this is true, and passed Roger Moore on the street!

In Toronto a couple of years ago we walked past Suzanne Somers!  (She's had a little work done, if my eyes didn't fail me.)

I have had so many celebrity interactions that I'm amazing myself.

At dinner visiting my in-laws when they lived in LA, at a nearby table sat Marcia Brady!!!  (I had to physically restrain my FIL from approaching her to ask for her autograph!  How embarrassing would that have been?)

My husband and I were in NYC one time when we saw Bill Cullen!  Of course you all know him.  He hosted the oh, so, popular game show, To Tell the Truth, for a time.  Now, I'm sure you are all asking why you never saw him walking onto the stage and why he was always seated.  Well, he had a disability that he obviously desired to keep secret.  And now I've spilled the beans.  Crap. 

That time we were in LA, Marlon Brando and we were waiting for our cars. He said to us (I shit you not), 'go ahead'!!!1!

I will drop back here when I think of more. We are so connected to so many celebrities, it's tiresome trying to recollect everyone.

25 minutes ago, Karma said:

It means something here in Australia too - I watched that show for the first few series, but not recently.  Actually I've been feeling a little left out of the famous people discussion, so here goes.  There will be a very limited audience of people who will have heard of my one celebrity encounter - but I have an autograph to prove it. Back in the early 80s I saw Shane Porteous from A Country Practice. Omg I loved that show.  Did you watch it, @Blahblah?

Sorry @Karma but it wasn't a favourite in our house growing up. Mum & dad are English and Aussie soaps didn't appeal, so I missed out. I do know who Shane Porteous is though :)

My celeb encounters are mostly due to the fact that I worked at the Uni Bar when I was at Uni. We did the backstage drinks for quite a few famous groups including The Cockroaches (most of whom went on to form The Wiggles), Hunters and Collectors, Iva Davies from Ice House.

38 minutes ago, EmainMacha said:

One of the actresses from 'Call the Midwife' goes to the same playgroup as me. I can't talk to her due to extreme introvertedness and the fact that she looks quite shy too. I did encourage her kid down a slide though. 

Can you drop any hints as to which one? 

Yes, I'm back. You're welcome. 

Just wanted to remind you of this:

image.jpeg

Yes, that is indeed the backs of a couple of Real Housewives of Beverly Hills in Florence last summer!  You know, we honestly thought if we went far away and across an entire ocean, that these 'celebrities' would leave us alone.   *sigh*

2 hours ago, ADoyle90815 said:

Having lived in southern California my whole life, one popular fundraiser groups do here is to be in the audience for shows, and sometimes, that means being seen briefly on TV in one of those "Funniest Commercials" specials, and various talk shows that sometimes show the audience. Once, at Disneyland, the guy who was Screech on "Saved By the Bell" was in the boat ahead of us on Pirates of the Caribbean when I was in high school, and we got to stay in the park until closing after we performed there.

More recently, Dexter was filmed on my street, and what looked like was across town was also filmed in the same neighborhood.

I recognized Long Beach on Dexter a lot.

Most of the celebrities I've seen were actually at Disneyland. John Stamos, the band Phantom Planet, Geoffrey Rush, Teri Hatcher, and a few others that I can't even remember now. Every time I see a cast member in plaid, I'm trying to figure out who they are showing around.

I am hoping to see Christian Bale there sometime since I've loved him since I was 13. But the odds are not good now that we don't go very often.

1 hour ago, EmainMacha said:

Oooh...who?? I love that show! It's Vanessa Redgrave, isn't it? Ha!

@Blahblah she is the quiet one in the show as well. I think her character became a nun maybe? I only watched the first 2 seasons but she's been in it from the start. 

10 minutes ago, EmainMacha said:

@Blahblah she is the quiet one in the show as well. I think her character became a nun maybe? I only watched the first 2 seasons but she's been in it from the start. 

Very cool. You are probably the closest one to an actual celebrity in this thread so far. It's a great show. I'm a season behind though.

11 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

Most of the celebrities I've seen were actually at Disneyland. John Stamos, the band Phantom Planet, Geoffrey Rush, Teri Hatcher, and a few others that I can't even remember now.

My daughter lives two houses away from John Stamos' mom and when his mom was alive, they would see JS almost weekly.  SIL had many conversations with him, but my daughter was always too star-struck to introduce herself.... and Mr MM has been in Teri Hatcher's bedroom several times.... and had a pretty cool relationship with her daughter, Emerson (he would tell her there were dragons in the attic when he worked on their AC system, etc). 

9 hours ago, church_of_dog said:

You left out the Monty Python connection.

(see "Minor Annoyances" thread for details)

Oooh. Monty Python reminds me of one of the few celebrities I've met. I've met and spoken to Terry Jones (of Monty Python fame) several times at a conference. Funny, nice guy.

ETA: And  met Mary Jo Pehl (Pearl Forrester), Joel Hodgson, Trace Beaulieu (Dr. Clayton Forrester), Frank Conniff (TV's Frank), and J. Elvis Weinstein (Tom Servo) of MST3K fame on their Cinematic Titanic tour a couple of years ago.

when I was a kid and had a paper route I would give Terry David Mulligan his newspaper 

he was a disc jokey and part time actor here in the 80's I also saw Relic (the beachcombers) at the liquor store when I was a kid (with my mom) 

my parents saw Diana Krall and Elvis Costello at dinner next to them

I also had some one on one time with the Governor of our fair state (I'm the short one):

This thread is fascinating - the FJ community definitely gets out and about!  The Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon is in full force.

.....bacon? 

19 minutes ago, EyeQueue said:

ETA: And  met Mary Jo Pehl (Pearl Forrester), Joel Hodgson, Trace Beaulieu (Dr. Clayton Forrester), Frank Conniff (TV's Frank), and J. Elvis Weinstein (Tom Servo) of MST3K fame on their Cinematic Titanic tour a couple of years ago.

Jealous!

Just now, happy atheist said:

Jealous!

I was so excited! We had 2 tickets, and my daughter (who was like 14 at the time and had not yet watched MST3K yet) had other plans and my headship was sick, so I went on my own. It was hilarious b/c some older people who had season tickets to this venue obviously didn't know what they were getting into, and the old couple who sat next to me kept making hilarious comments throughout the performance.

Afterwards, they had a line-up with all of the cast members, and I got to chat with several of them and got some pics and some loot signed.

Now that my daughter is totally into MST3K, she's totes jealous and wishes she had gone.

3 hours ago, happy atheist said:

The first celebrity I ever met was Ed Asner. 

I think this is true for me too!  I believe it was in the mid-80s.  He was very kind.  He came to a meeting I was involved in, with his daughter, who was around 12.  Later in the 80s I had opportunity to call Valerie Harper at home as part of a job.  I also saw in my workplace, but don't think I actually "met" as in "was introduced to or spoke to," both John Denver and Raul Julia.  John Denver was apparently looking for a new personal assistant, and I came that close to applying, but ultimately decided not to.

There are also some semi-famous people in my extended family -- folks that are well-known in their realm but not necessarily by the general public.  There's a cartoonist, a concert violinist/conductor, and an up-and-coming author.  The last two are father and son and I've never even met them.

Oh, and my dad taught a duplicate bridge class in which Steve Wozniak was one of the students.

I grew up at the peak of the baby boom (at least, schools were closing right and left within a few years of my grade passing through them) and in one of the most highly-rated school districts in the country -- in fact, in a place that, shortly after I moved away, became known as Silicon Valley.  I always assumed that at a minimum, several of my classmates (in a class of over 700) would go on to become famous in one field or another.  But as far as I know, that hasn't happened.  We're 54 now so for anything short of President of the US, c'mon, it's time already! :my_tongue:

Oh, and an ex and I visited the tiny town of Micanopy, FL just days after they'd filmed scenes from the movie Doc Hollywood there and there was still fake stuff all over the place. We had no idea what it was about until someone there mentioned it. We didn't see any stars...just props. 

Oh, and when I was a little girl, we lived in California briefly and my parents took us to some movie studio for the tour and I saw the actual Creature From the Black Lagoon costume!  (Does that count?)

Micanopy!!! Nobody knows about Micanopy!!!! [emoji7][emoji7]

12 minutes ago, FundieFarmer said:

Micanopy!!! Nobody knows about Micanopy!!!! emoji7.pngemoji7.png

I do!  :my_biggrin:

Archived