IGNORED

Jill & Jessa Counting On, Regular Season 1

Coconut Flan

I am remembering how happy Johannah's face was in pictures from Jill's wedding. She was so honored to have been a bridesmaid. This was a big, transitional moment for her. I wouldn't be surprised if she wants to do the same things her sisters are doing, it's just sad that it revolves around housework. When I was age 10, I wanted to be like the cool, older girls I saw. My brother was a Boy Scout, and I loved hanging out with the female sibling of another guy in his troop during their long meetings. I was 10-11, and she was probably 14-15. I thought it was so cool reading her teen magazines and listening to No Doubt's Tragic Kingdom CD with her. It actually made me want to go out and purchase my own first CD, which was Savage Garden. The 90s ruled! I think it's only natural for Johanna to want to be like the older girls, I just think it's sad the only way for her to do that is through green bean casserole.

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, 2manyKidzzz said:

So, is Derrick preaching in English, I would guess. And what are his credentials since he is not a licensed minister that I know of. Just his zeal? Or maybe preachers don't actually need credentials I have no idea, just wondered. 

I mean you don't "need" credentials to be a minister/preacher. You can just take a box or a crate (as mentioned above by @quiverofdoubt, that is exactly what I picture too) and stand on a corner and preach all you want. But if you want to be taken seriously or eventually be hired to preach and minister in a specific church, then you usually need credentials.

But Derrick has been called by the Lord, so we are sinning to question that, probably.

10 hours ago, LucyManettesForehead said:

So, it actually doesn't bother me at all that Jessa doesn't really cook. Lots of other things bother me about Jessa, but not that. It seems to me, that despite being taught her entire life that her duty is to serve her husband by cooking/cleaning/having babies, the fact that she doesn't do the cooking is her letting herself off the hook of this "godly woman" image in a way. I'm not saying that she's doing it on purpose or anything, but it's kind of refreshing to see a Duggar girl say, "I don't like doing this, I'm not good at it, and I'm not going to fall over myself to do it anyway." 

That being said, I think if she's not cooking/homemaking, she should probably find some other way to be a productive citizen. 

I don't really like to snark on her for not liking to cook because I don't either. I actually think if she DID like to cook...people would snark on her for doing her "Godly" duty as a housewife or whatever.

6 hours ago, quiverofdoubt said:

"food" is signed by putting fingers and thumb together and up to your mouth. sort of hard to describe. please is an open palm circled over chest.   We're still finding balance with my almost four year old on when to demand a please, and when to just let it go. I find modeling saying please a lot is the most helpful. I don't mind making her say please for things, even food. But to have him at the table, having to sign please, for every. single. bite.  as a baby.  it's like making your dog sit or down for their cookies.  Fine for a dog of course. not so great for an infant :( not in my book.  it's literally your job to feed him jill- it's n ot some special favor you are bestowing on him t hat he has to plead for.

This doesn't really apply to Izzy since he is super young....but the speech pathologists we've worked with both suggested food as a motivator. Not meal time exactly. But snacks. The way they described it was exactly like training a dog. You basically find a snack they like and reward when they do what is asked of them. Food/snacks never motivated my son much though.

But we do try to get him to say "eat" before meal time. (Not every bite. Just before he sits down.) And every day I like to have string cheese as a snack for myself. He likes it when I share it. So I'll make him sign 'more' before I give him pieces. When you have a child with a severe speech delay, you use whatever motivators you can. You put their favorite toys out of reach so they have to 'ask' for them. Some would think that's mean but these are tactics that can really help. You have to find ways to make them WANT to use speech. So they can see the value of it.

Who cares that Jessa doesn't like to cook? That's the ONE not-fundie thing she does, good. Let's snark on them about being desperate for fame, $$$, and being vain.

@ClaraOswin having a child with speech delays is hard! My oldest didn't speak until he was 3 1/2 years old. (Autism) We pushed him hard, lots of requiring language or communication ( gestures, sign language) before giving him anything he wanted. He always had regular tap water at room temp, but if he wanted juice or milk, he had to ask! Same with certain toys, outside time, or whatever. It was a rough past year and a half. Family members didn't always get it. Happy to report that at 5, he is reading and doing simple addition! He won't subtract though, because it isn't nice to take things away. (Such a literalist!) He is light years beyond the other kids in his class (self contained autism classroom) and other preschoolers his age in lots of areas. We still have lots of work to do, but we are so proud of him. In case you are in the "thick of it", it really will get easier. I'm here if you ever need anyone, but it sounds like you're on the right track!:highfive:

1 hour ago, quiverofdoubt said:

So, while the girls/women are watching the baby and doing all the thanksgiving fall feast prep, where is ben? he doesn't have a job. out rapping? what is he up to the whole time they are shopping and cooking? 

I can't imagine my husband letting me do all the holiday prep and watch the baby- he'd insist on doing it or helping. period.

Also, anyone notice how jill says "derrick is preaching twice a week at a couple different locations"? I'm imagining him standing on street corners..... Perhaps even on a crate.

Josh street-preaching on a crate was an avatar of mine here several years ago. He looked like a fatter, balder Charlie Brown. Ah, memories...

What is with Anna reverting to calling him Joshua instead of Josh? It's like she is distancing herself even though she has to be "amazing" and stick it out.

8 minutes ago, coffeebean7 said:

What is with Anna reverting to calling him Joshua instead of Josh? It's like she is distancing herself even though she has to be "amazing" and stick it out.

She has pretty much always called him Joshua. It's annoyed me (the way she says it) since they were courting.

28 minutes ago, bingbangboom said:

@ClaraOswin having a child with speech delays is hard! My oldest didn't speak until he was 3 1/2 years old. (Autism) We pushed him hard, lots of requiring language or communication ( gestures, sign language) before giving him anything he wanted. He always had regular tap water at room temp, but if he wanted juice or milk, he had to ask! Same with certain toys, outside time, or whatever. It was a rough past year and a half. Family members didn't always get it. Happy to report that at 5, he is reading and doing simple addition! He won't subtract though, because it isn't nice to take things away. (Such a literalist!) He is light years beyond the other kids in his class (self contained autism classroom) and other preschoolers his age in lots of areas. We still have lots of work to do, but we are so proud of him. In case you are in the "thick of it", it really will get easier. I'm here if you ever need anyone, but it sounds like you're on the right track!:highfive:

Thank you. We are definitely in the thick of it. He is two and a half. Still doesn't say any actual words. A lot of other little things things going on as well.  I struggle most days.

8 minutes ago, coffeebean7 said:

I noticed she's been doing this a lot in the recent episodes. She did it once in a while before but it didn't seem like it was as often. Or maybe it just sounds different now.

@ClaraOswin you are doing a great job. 

Some days are so hard I have to tell myself out loud that boomkid is worth the hard work, and then I eat all the chocolate. Be kind to yourself and remember you are allowed to have hard days and even less than stellar moments. Rejoice in every little kernel of progress, it may come slower than his peers, but it will come. Keep on trucking!:kitty-wink:

59 minutes ago, coffeebean7 said:

I've heard her call him Joshua many times, and I haven't watched the last two seasons. 

14 hours ago,  Jenirishdancer said: 

I wonder if part of Ben's deal is that he is "upset" that he doesn't get as much attention as he did before from jessa.  Spurge is clearly her focus now, and she seems really into him.  Ben used to be the one to get all of her attention and the one who her focus was on. 

Which is very common among new fathers, especially young ones.

That boy was so not ready for any of this.  

that and the hair cut.  He might be Jessa's headship but he's stuck with that haircut.  Can you imagine if he spent money on a professional clip?  

Hmmmm, maybe Ben will be the tell-all author?

On March 16, 2016 at 10:50 PM, biblelandjunkie said:

i hated the scene where anna is grilling Joy? over a future mate.... anna should of chosen better but I think she went for fame and fortune over not marrying a child predator.  Can these folks do anything else than court and breed?  :smiley-signs131:

They can get paid huge amounts of money for doing very little to make the world a better place.

But about Anna's "choice," I don't believe for a minute that she knew what Josh had done as a teenager.  She was probably told that he had been "a little too curious" and behaved inappropriately but that after Prayhab he was healed.  Her Dad said it was a good match.  She trusted her father.

4 hours ago, luv2laugh said:

Who cares that Jessa doesn't like to cook? That's the ONE not-fundie thing she does, good. Let's snark on them about being desperate for fame, $$$, and being vain.

That's the thing though. They go around proclaiming that women shouldn't work outside the home, and that they are so superior to all of us evil heathens who go to work every day and neglect our men and children. :pb_rollseyes: And yet, they can't even master the most fundamental of domestic tasks, such as cooking. We're not even talking about planting a vegetable garden, or keeping chickens for eggs, or canning and pickling, or anything of the sort. Just basic cooking like most other people do as well. You know, after they get home from their evil worldly jobs. And it's not just Jessa, it's all of the Duggar girls. Not a single one of them can cook a meal that doesn't start with "open a can of cream of crap soup." It's mostly their parents' fault, of course, because they couldn't be bothered to teach their daughters even the simplest domestic tasks even while shouting across the rooftops that being keepers of their homes was their single purpose in life (well, that and birthing an army for Jesus). It's pathetic, IMNSHO.

Did anyone else think it was strange that Anna didn't say goodbye to any of the M kids?  They showed her packing & gathering Meredith, then she's getting in the car to go to the airport.  I wonder if they didn't tell the M kids she was going to see Daddy because they'd want to go or ask a lot of questions.

Could Ben have been any less interested in anything going on?  /Chandler Bing

He was more boring than usual and he yawned a lot.

5 hours ago, coffeebean7 said:

Maybe that is how they will rebrand him, the new improved, Joshua!

So, I was googling to find about news about this show and maybe a link to watch it for myself. The blurb under the Daily Mail link made me spit out my drink, It's obviously previews of 3 stories they have but the way the blurb is written is perfect!

20160317_112244.jpg

The ratings are in and they look good at 1.9 million. Let's see if the ratings hold for the rest of the episodes.

Show                                            Net   Time        Viewers (000s) 18-49 rating

JILL & JESSA: COUNTING ON    TLC  9:00 PM  1,913                0.6

Source: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2016/03/16/tuesday-cable-ratings-march-15-2016/

Starcasm did an analysis on the ratings plus photo below:

This week’s episode was actually the fourth for the spin-off after TLC tested the waters with three episodes in December. Those ratings varied quite a bit, ranging from 1.895 million for the second episode on December 20 to 2.47 million for the third episode on December 27. The premiere of Jill & Jessa: Counting On had 2.22 million when it aired on December 13.

Generally, a reality show bringing in anything over a million viewers is considered a success, so certainly an average of 2 million has got to have the executives at TLC (and at least a couple dozen folks in Arkansas) quite thrilled! In case you missed Tuesday night’s episode, titled “At Home & Away,” you can watch it online via Discovery Go.

Source: http://starcasm.net/archives/345064

I had to share this awesome photo created by Starcasm.

Jill_and_Jessa_Counting_On_money_rev.jpg

As much as it pains me to say it, the ratings might have been even higher if it were not for the Super Tuesday elections which likely drained away viewers.  The Duggars have a built in audience at this point so their show could go on for years. The only thing that could stop them would be another scandal.  

All this talk about Ben and Jessa's relationship and lack of spark has led me to a question that I just know the experts at FJ can answer:

Do Gothard women have sex when pregnant?   Is sex mostly for procreation?  Since it's also how they keep their hubbies happy/in line, are they to be available all the time?  Apparently, they refrain after childbirth for a period of time (even if it seems to be for Biblical reason as opposed to biological ones), so do they also quit while pregnant?  I'm just wondering if the pregnancy is a passive/aggressive way to actually control sex.

J'shells has been pregnant most of her adult life--was she really using it as a way to keep JB off of her?  If Jessa wants a domestic adoption, she can't be pregnant (unless they go a very private route), so are they using birth control of abstaining?  Just trying to figure out Ben's pouty face.

12 minutes ago, Mothership said:

All this talk about Ben and Jessa's relationship and lack of spark has led me to a question that I just know the experts at FJ can answer:

Do Gothard women have sex when pregnant?   Is sex mostly for procreation?  Since it's also how they keep their hubbies happy/in line, are they to be available all the time?  Apparently, they refrain after childbirth for a period of time (even if it seems to be for Biblical reason as opposed to biological ones), so do they also quit while pregnant?  I'm just wondering if the pregnancy is a passive/aggressive way to actually control sex.

J'shells has been pregnant most of her adult life--was she really using it as a way to keep JB off of her?  If Jessa wants a domestic adoption, she can't be pregnant (unless they go a very private route), so are they using birth control of abstaining?  Just trying to figure out Ben's pouty face.

We only know what Michelle did, not Jill or Jessa.  During pregnancy, Michelle advised women to "joyfully submit" even when they were "big pregnant."

To Michelle, having sex is considered "submitting", not enjoying.  (My guess is that her experience and vocabulary don't contain the word orgasm.)  

4 minutes ago, DuggarWatch said:

We only know what Michelle did, not Jill or Jessa.  During pregnancy, Michelle advised women to "joyfully submit" even when they were "big pregnant."

To Michelle, having sex is considered "submitting", not enjoying.  (My guess is that her experience and vocabulary don't contain the word organism.)  

Michelle has frequently said that it is a woman's job to "fulfill the needs of their husband".  She gives that stupid, "anyone can make a sandwich, but only you can fulfill his needs" line.  Men have "needs" regardless of the state of their wife.  Screw their comfort... the only time they can decline is when the bible says so.

So I finally watched it.  It is a totally different show, in my opinion.  The lighthearted background music, everyone is all smiles and laughs.  Jessa actually seemed like a normal human being.  I did notice a few things, though.

Jill's apartment has so. much. shit.  On her countertop alone, there were several appliances and a boatload of plastic dishes (seriously, theres only 3 people in your family, what do you need all those dishes for??).  

I hate how they keep saying "Central America is soooo dangerous."  We get it.  It's dangerous.  Is it dangerous? It started getting under my skin the more they said it.  It also comes off as they are soooo holy that they are in such a dangerous place. 

Spurgeon is a cute baby but that name is so clunky and terrible.  It doesn't even sound natural when anyone says it.  

I thought it was an odd comment to make that Jinger and Jana have gotten closer ever since their besties got married.  IDK, I guess it is weird to me that they are implying that they weren't close before, and now they only hang out bc they have no one else to hang out with.

The cooking thing is bizarre.  I'm not saying Jessa has to be a top chef or anything like that, but what do they eat every day??? She said they eat eggs and yogurt... for dinner?? I'm so confused.  

Lastly, poor Anna.  I don't really have much to say about that that hasn't already been said.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic
  • Coconut Flan unpinned this topic

Archived