IGNORED

Mortons are back from Paraguay...

picklepizzas

10 hours ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

Oh man, these people are extra wacky. They oppose property taxes because they want to starve schools and teachers who "make six figures for 9 months of work" :pb_rollseyes:. They think Answers in Genesis is too liberal. They think weather is punishment from God. And apparently all serial killers are homosexuals. Okay then.

...Dare I ask what this means? 

Also exactly which teachers they know are making 6 figures? 

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, picklepizzas said:

...Dare I ask what this means? 

Also exactly which teachers they know are making 6 figures? 

Theyre upset AIG says abortion is ok in some cases.

Well Kennedy looks about ready to pop. 

On June 30, 2016 at 8:38 AM, JMO said:

I needed to read it again so I found the blog entry from farther up thread. Please to enjoy...   @Letgo

http://mortonclan.blogspot.com/2007/09/note-from-michael.html

Thank you for that! Here's everything you never wanted to know about "betrothal".  Particularly sickening is that the father "retains physical headship over the daughter" until she is "transferred" to the husband.  Blech. Blech. Blech.  

http://mortonclan.blogspot.com/2007/05/questions-and-answers.html

edited because I forgot to post the link!

5 hours ago, snarkysuki1724 said:

Thank you for that! Here's everything you never wanted to know about "betrothal".  Particularly sickening is that the father "retains physical headship over the daughter" until she is "transferred" to the husband.  Blech. Blech. Blech.  

http://mortonclan.blogspot.com/2007/05/questions-and-answers.html

edited because I forgot to post the link!

Interesting to read and compare to the newer marriages. While there seems to be less of the cosmetic crazy going on there, I notice that in that post they're strict about chaperones and this post from Mariah (the caption) seems to indicate nothing has changed on that front. Just confirms that, much like the bates, they've scrubbed a lot of the surface crazy but the substance crazy is still there. :/

On 6/30/2016 at 8:31 PM, fundiefan said:

The Hapsburg's were the first thing that came to mind when I read your post. That jawline! Those droopy eyes. That insanity!

I know fundies like to think of themselves as equal to royalty, but for the most part, even actual European Royalty has stopped with the inter marriage thing. Of course, most of them are already related to one degree or another anyway, but still...they're bringing in new blood, and that's wise.

Yeah, I read somewhere that of the current royal consorts, only Queen Mathilde of Belgium and Prince Philip actually come from a noble/royal family (and Prince Philip is tied into European royalty enough that when the Russians found the remains of the Romanovs, they hit him up for a DNA sample to verify them). All the other (prominent) ones -- Maxima, Charlene, Henrik, Rania, Jetsun Pema, Silvia, Sonja, Maria Theresa, Letizia -- come from commoner backgrounds.

On 6/30/2016 at 0:31 PM, fundiefan said:

The Hapsburg's were the first thing that came to mind when I read your post. That jawline! Those droopy eyes. That insanity!

I know fundies like to think of themselves as equal to royalty, but for the most part, even actual European Royalty has stopped with the inter marriage thing. Of course, most of them are already related to one degree or another anyway, but still...they're bringing in new blood, and that's wise.

I always thought Diana Spencer was chosen as a bride for Prince Charles primarily for her ability to provide chins to future members of the British royalty.

7 minutes ago, Black Aliss said:

I always thought Diana Spencer was chosen as a bride for Prince Charles primarily for her ability to provide chins to future members of the British royalty.

That may be so. She and Kate have brought a vast improvement to the genetics (and I'll admit, appearance) of the Royal Family. 

I would be really surprised if the SMortons had stopped the betrothal ceremony and chaperones etc. It's one thing if it was different generations but we're talking about only 10 yrs between the first wedding and the most recent. Not to mention there hasn't been any marriage that came out badly because of it. To them it works fabulously. And Mariah's captions kill me. If you're a sheltered fundie who probably doesn't know how babies are made then don't use "bae" to describe your sister's betrothed. 

Question, who did Bethany Smith marry? Is she Bethany Lane now ?

1 hour ago, JMO said:

I would be really surprised if the SMortons had stopped the betrothal ceremony and chaperones etc. It's one thing if it was different generations but we're talking about only 10 yrs between the first wedding and the most recent. Not to mention there hasn't been any marriage that came out badly because of it. To them it works fabulously. And Mariah's captions kill me. If you're a sheltered fundie who probably doesn't know how babies are made then don't use "bae" to describe your sister's betrothed. 

Question, who did Bethany Smith marry? Is she Bethany Lane now ?

Yes. She married Danny Lane 4.5 years ago. And, she's pregnant with #4. 

Their first was born less than 8 months after their wedding. He was 3 months premature. That fact gave them a jump on the second who was born the following fall, several months before their second anniversary.

So, I've been thinking about this for a few days, and it's REALLY bothering me. 

How on earth are the parents explaining abortion to these (often very young) children they're hauling to clinic protests when they won't even tell them what sex is? Like, "Oh, there's a baby in her tummy but she's killing it FOR NO REASON AT ALL"? Or is it more of a "They are killing babies" and implying that it's infanticide thing...or what?

Growing up evangelical Southern Baptist, I heard a whole lot about slutty single women who needed to keep their legs closed and not murder children for their own convenience and rape victims who shouldn't punish an innocent baby and married couples who should trust in the lord to save their baby with congenital defects, so I'm not clear on how you can have a discussion about abortion without talking about things like sex and pregnancy. 

There's no way that they are truly in the dark about the birds and the bees for so long-- I mean they have seen their own family members go through literally dozens of pregnancies, and many of those were home births attended by family. And I don't know if the Mortons keep livestock but they live out in the country and certainly know people who do. I am guessing the kids know plenty about anatomy, but they may not know much about the idea of sex for pleasure, beyond euphemisms. 

On 2/7/2016 at 3:34 AM, nastyhobbitses said:

Yeah, I read somewhere that of the current royal consorts, only Queen Mathilde of Belgium and Prince Philip actually come from a noble/royal family (and Prince Philip is tied into European royalty enough that when the Russians found the remains of the Romanovs, they hit him up for a DNA sample to verify them). All the other (prominent) ones -- Maxima, Charlene, Henrik, Rania, Jetsun Pema, Silvia, Sonja, Maria Theresa, Letizia -- come from commoner backgrounds.

Prince Philip was Prince Philippos of Greece and Denmark, son of Princess Alice of Battenberg (and Prince Andrew of Greece), who was the daughter of Princess Victoria of Hesse, Marchioness of Milford-Haven, older sister of Empress Alexandra Feodorovna of Russia and granddaughter of Queen Victoria. He's pretty royal.

What in the HELL did I just watch??  I want that 36xx minutes of my life back, watching Cap'n Bret's betrothal video.  Ack.  I take issue with Bret's asinine interpretation of Scripture.  And when they refer to the traditional bride price as 50 shekels of silver, my brain immediately went to Judas betraying Jesus for 30 pieces of silver. Hmmmmm.....

And how on God's green earth do they get unrelated people to participate in his 50 Levels of Cray-Cray? Many of them appear to be quite normal, showing no signs of being dropped on their heads as infants.  One does wonder.

In doing over 1000 weddings in almost 30 years, I've done my share of barn weddings.  All were beautiful.  None were even remotely close to the fugly-assed appearance of their barn.  And whoever did the stage design for the betrothal video should be shot.  Gave me plenty of time to notice the vigorous hand sex going on between the chairs of honor.  Hehehe.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who noticed -- when the silly twit blew the trumpet announcing the bridegroom's arrival, that poor horse was NOT having it!  He was not happy about having that trumpet blown right in his ears and was shaking his head vigorously (about 28:30?).  Too bad he didn't knock said twit on his pompous ass ....

On July 2, 2016 at 4:04 AM, nastyhobbitses said:

i thought Henrik was a French count before he married???

7 hours ago, JesusCampSongs said:

So, I've been thinking about this for a few days, and it's REALLY bothering me. 

How on earth are the parents explaining abortion to these (often very young) children they're hauling to clinic protests when they won't even tell them what sex is? Like, "Oh, there's a baby in her tummy but she's killing it FOR NO REASON AT ALL"? Or is it more of a "They are killing babies" and implying that it's infanticide thing...or what?

Growing up evangelical Southern Baptist, I heard a whole lot about slutty single women who needed to keep their legs closed and not murder children for their own convenience and rape victims who shouldn't punish an innocent baby and married couples who should trust in the lord to save their baby with congenital defects, so I'm not clear on how you can have a discussion about abortion without talking about things like sex and pregnancy. 

I think that the main information withheld is details on the sex act itself. Addie and her sisters grew up changing their little brothers' diapers (and later, their nephews'), so they have a grasp on anatomy and generalities. Obviously, some information is imparted when puberty starts, and a bit more is offered contextually by seeing pregnant relatives, etc., but the "kids" are kept in the dark about logistics until a day or two before the wedding. 

As to the abortion thing, I have a good Southern Baptist fundy-lite friend who has 5 children aged 5-14. They ALL have protested at clinics with their mother and her circle of friends since the eldest was about 6. My friend tells her children that the women are under a "curse", and that they don't realize that abortion is murder because they've been lied to. She and her friends are ostensibly there to "minister" to the women, and to try to get them to change their mind. To her credit, she doesn't vilify most of the women that seek abortions, but she also is batshit crazy for dragging children to an abortion clinic in the first place. She doesn't discuss the way that the women got pregnant, just the pregnancy itself.

She and I are friends despite our radically different opinions on topics like this. Whenever someone from her fundy circle discusses abortion protest with me, I immediately ask how many children they've adopted. None of them have ever even considered it. It's bewildering to me how hard these people will fight to ensure that an unwanted pregnancy is kept, but they have zero interest in alleviating the overburdened foster care system, or adopting an unwanted child from this country.

14 hours ago, HermioneSparrow said:

Prince Philip was Prince Philippos of Greece and Denmark, son of Princess Alice of Battenberg (and Prince Andrew of Greece), who was the daughter of Princess Victoria of Hesse, Marchioness of Milford-Haven, older sister of Empress Alexandra Feodorovna of Russia and granddaughter of Queen Victoria. He's pretty royal.

Yeah, that. Technically, Phillip & Elizabeth are some level of cousins. I never have and never will understand the 'once removed', 'twice removed', etc. of all of it, but both are decedents of Victoria.Far enough removed so as not to be playing genetic roulette, but still connected, as being a member of European royalty apparently dictated for so many generations. In fact, the current genetic make up of European royalty has most of its roots in Victoria & Albert. Their nine kids were married off far and wide, and the majority of the royals of the continent can trace their lineage back to them to some degree. Marrying 'commoners' is the best thing that can happen to most these days, I think. And to be honest, I think that has at least a small part in why it is 'allowed' in the first place.  

Are all these Facebook and Instagram pages public? If so, please share links!

On 7/2/2016 at 1:04 AM, nastyhobbitses said:

I love that you included Jetsun Pima in that group. I used to read about the Bhutanese royals on ONTD, but nobody posts on them anymore. 

Who is the queen/princess/something who looks like Raquel Welch and wears fabulous turbans? /royal derail

@JMO and @Kira I have 7/21/89 for Rachel Smith Morton.

1 hour ago, halcionne said:

Who is the queen/princess/something who looks like Raquel Welch and wears fabulous turbans? /royal derail

Sheikha Mozah of Qatar. She is gorgeous...and very involved in ruling as a (edit: I think ) third wife. 

23 minutes ago, Kylolo said:

Sheikha Mozah of Qatar. She is gorgeous...and very involved in ruling as a (edit: I think ) third wife. 

Ah! I'm glad you knew who I was referring to, because I meant to say Sophia Loren, not Raquel Welch. Now I'm going to google and drool over her beauty

On 7/4/2016 at 8:54 AM, fundiefan said:

Yeah, that. Technically, Phillip & Elizabeth are some level of cousins. I never have and never will understand the 'once removed', 'twice removed', etc. of all of it, but both are decedents of Victoria.Far enough removed so as not to be playing genetic roulette, but still connected, as being a member of European royalty apparently dictated for so many generations. In fact, the current genetic make up of European royalty has most of its roots in Victoria & Albert. Their nine kids were married off far and wide, and the majority of the royals of the continent can trace their lineage back to them to some degree. Marrying 'commoners' is the best thing that can happen to most these days, I think. And to be honest, I think that has at least a small part in why it is 'allowed' in the first place.  

Yeah, commoners used to be limited to "morganatic" marriages. Most of Philip's uncle Lord Mountbatten's drive to get Phillip married to Elizabeth and rename the "Windsors," Mountbatten, was to erase the shame that the Battenbergs were descendants of a morganatic marriage in the house of Hesse. (The woman in that case wasn't even a commoner, just not noble enough for the prince who eloped with her.)

There are logs of royal/noble genealogies available for free at www.familysearch.org.

I can't go onto FB at work to cut and paste but J. Smith has two separate rants on FB from last week about the riots.   Turns out America is a "God ordained" melting pot.   and there is a "liberal faction in our country that is eager to impose martial law".  

Archived