IGNORED

Mortons are back from Paraguay...

picklepizzas

On 5/17/2016 at 0:56 PM, JMO said:

Considering that we know that men/boys are not told about sex until 2-3 days prior to marriage via a friendly sit down with Pa Morton, I wonder how/when the girls are told.  Probably the same time by Ma, right?  I may need to hunt this down on the blog.  Sadly there is no search function.  

I believe with many of these fundies, they tell the husband to-be who tells his new wife. She's supposed to follow his lead, as in all other things.

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, freethemall said:

I believe with many of these fundies, they tell the husband to-be who tells his new wife. She's supposed to follow his lead, as in all other things.

I can only imagine how freaking horrible these wedding nights must be.

I looked back at the original post.  Pa Morton doesn't actually say he only addresses the boys.  He talks about children.  I believe the post was from prior to Michael's wedding, which was after Katie's.  So it's quite possible that they tell all their children, just only 3 days prior to marriage!!  Since they live on a farm, how do explain mating behavior to their unmarried children???  And I really feel for Addie, most likely knowing that there is some magical thing happening between her siblings and their spouses that brings about all the grandchildren.  

1 hour ago, JMO said:

I looked back at the original post.  Pa Morton doesn't actually say he only addresses the boys.  He talks about children.  I believe the post was from prior to Michael's wedding, which was after Katie's.  So it's quite possible that they tell all their children, just only 3 days prior to marriage!!  Since they live on a farm, how do explain mating behavior to their unmarried children???  And I really feel for Addie, most likely knowing that there is some magical thing happening between her siblings and their spouses that brings about all the grandchildren.  

i was actually super relieved to see all of mama morton's pictures of their church community, for addie's sake. i was worried she was going to be even more isolated down there.  she posted something the other day referring to herself and her younger brothers as the kids; it was just as tragic as when jana referred to herself awkwardly as 'not a little one but not grown up' on counting on.  i just want addie to be able to 'grow up' and feel like an adult some day! either by marriage or moving out on her own, two things that seem more impossible in paraguay. but at least they seem to have friends down there. maybe she can marry one of them. :/

15 hours ago, JMO said:

There's also the squickworthy post when Rachel goes into labour (at 35 weeks) and Pa Morton is still instructing Wesley about how to deliver a baby.  In the end, after a whole lotta prayer, Wesley decides to take his wife to hospital (with most of the rest of the family in tow) rather than risk an unattended premature birth. They end up having a whole 20 minutes between getting to the hospital and the baby being born.  Addie writes that their proud of him for making that decision. 

7 hours ago, uber frau said:

There's also the squickworthy post when Rachel goes into labour (at 35 weeks) and Pa Morton is still instructing Wesley about how to deliver a baby.  In the end, after a whole lotta prayer, Wesley decides to take his wife to hospital (with most of the rest of the family in tow) rather than risk an unattended premature birth. They end up having a whole 20 minutes between getting to the hospital and the baby being born.  Addie writes that their proud of him for making that decision. 

This was The Post for me. Up until then, reading through the blog, it was clear to me they were unabashedly crazy, but it came off as mostly benign. This was the post where I was like YIKES there is something VERY wrong here. Leaving the decision over going to the hospital up to the 19 yr old husband? And not say...the woman in labor?! Not okay. 

On 6/15/2016 at 8:38 AM, picklepizzas said:

This was The Post for me. Up until then, reading through the blog, it was clear to me they were unabashedly crazy, but it came off as mostly benign. This was the post where I was like YIKES there is something VERY wrong here. Leaving the decision over going to the hospital up to the 19 yr old husband? And not say...the woman in labor?! Not okay. 

Well, the "woman" in labor was about 18 at the time, so in all fairness, he was the senior member of the birthing team. :pb_rollseyes:

Katie's birth is the post series that did it for me. I discovered the Mortons around 2011, and I didn't go back to read the early stuff  in chronological order for a while. Much like you, I just thought they were weird, but charming. They were a quirky band of shockingly attractive fundies who lived what appeared to be an ideal life in an antique home on sprawling acreage. Addie's writing style just added the whimsical sprinkles on the quaint cupcake.

Then... Katiemageddon. She spent two days in active labor, unable to sleep, surrounded by family in a noisy house, struggling to give birth to what later turned out to be a very large baby. Addie gave "live updates" throughout the process, grossly underestimating the delivery time in the posts. Why? Because "Daddy" said that the baby would be coming "any minute"... a day before Katie gave birth. The baby was born, and didn't breathe for 5 minutes after birth. They responded to this crisis by "crying out to the Lord". The midwife was able to resuscitate the baby.

I don't knock Katie's choice to have a home birth, or Addie's innocence in broadcasting her sister's discomfort to the world, but it breaks my heart to think of her vulnerability and pain during those days. She was surrounded by zealots (of which she is one), all of whom felt that their prayers were as good as medicine. Papa Morton's "expert" pre-natal advice makes me scratch my head again. This is the third birth that I know of that he offered advice for. He doesn't have a medical background. I guess he's the authority on baby birthin' because of the livestock?

1 hour ago, SolomonFundy said:

Papa Morton's "expert" pre-natal advice makes me scratch my head again. This is the third birth that I know of that he offered advice for. He doesn't have a medical background. I guess he's the authority on baby birthin' because of the livestock?

His penis makes him an expert on everything ever :pb_rollseyes:

It just frightens me that these people are in Paraguay now, seemingly away from what little oversight there may have been in Georgia to keep the family safe - especially the dozens upon dozens of grandchildren, and of course the brood mares. It's terrifying to me.

On Jackie Smith's Facebook, she shares pics of S'Morton kids (I cannot tell them apart, but I think they're Kressant's) saying it's hard to say good-bye because she never knows when they'll pick up and move to another continent. 

Apparently, the Morton's in Paraguay are just the first wave and they're gonna' make a Calathora II in South America.

These people are so strange.

I was doing a little poking around the internet to see what Paraguay's big attraction was for fundies. I was sort of aware that the Mennonites are doing tremendous environmental destruction by (mostly illegally) clearing the forest in the Chaco region so they can raise corn (for ethanol) and beef (for export). Land is cheap, laws are lax and not enforced. Dominionism for the win! See  https://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/oct/05/chaco-paraguay-deforestation for details.

This, however, was the most entertaining read I found: http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/sociopolitica/esp_sociopol_bush53.htm

I have not attempted to do any fact-checking; the page is provided for entertainment only.

3 hours ago, fundiefan said:

On Jackie Smith's Facebook, she shares pics of S'Morton kids (I cannot tell them apart, but I think they're Kressant's) saying it's hard to say good-bye because she never knows when they'll pick up and move to another continent. 

Apparently, the Morton's in Paraguay are just the first wave and they're gonna' make a Calathora II in South America.

These people are so strange.

oh yes, if any of them are moving to Paraguay, the logical step is definitely for all of them to move. It might get a little messy as to how far it extends -- like a couple making the choice to not move because the non-S'Morton half has close extended family who are not moving -- but honestly I am not at all surprised at the prospect of it becoming a mass migration.

Who is the girl mama Morton keeps sharing photos of, in anticipation of her wedding? A sanders?

1 hour ago, picklepizzas said:

Who is the girl mama Morton keeps sharing photos of, in anticipation of her wedding? A sanders?

Abbi Sanders.

Interesting how quiet it was about Rebekah Sanders wedding only a few weeks ago and yet not Abbis. Odd.

On 6/18/2016 at 0:21 PM, fundiefan said:

A little off topic but on her FB page she has a post up about a 3rd cousin, a guy who's 18 being in the hospital with a combination of Strep, Measles, Chicken Pox, and Mumps. You'd think they would rethink their stance on vaccinations which could have avoided some of that.  Can't even begin to imagine how uncomfortable this kid is.

I was stalking instagram.  Kennedy looks ready to pop.  I think her due date is in 2 weeks.  That would make sense, about 9 months since the wedding!  

On 3/2/2016 at 2:38 AM, darkplumaged said:

She's the Morton matriarch, mother of 12(?) and grandmother of zillions.

... and "Gianavel"? Where are they getting these names?

LOL, that name sounds like "Giant Navel".

Partly related-- how many Campanas are there? On Mariah's Facebook she is celebrating her older brother returning home and meeting his niece and nephew for the first time. I don't think they've mentioned this brother before and I thought Alyssa was the only married sibling? 

The way she talks about him coming home suggests that he may have been doing prison time or otherwise seriously estranged. 

1 hour ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

Partly related-- how many Campanas are there? On Mariah's Facebook she is celebrating her older brother returning home and meeting his niece and nephew for the first time. I don't think they've mentioned this brother before and I thought Alyssa was the only married sibling? 

The way she talks about him coming home suggests that he may have been doing prison time or otherwise seriously estranged. 

On one of the old blogs, there was a sentence somewhere from one of the girls about her 8 siblings when we knew of 7 Campana kids. The other two are obviously older children that I have assumed were half siblings to the other Campana kids. Not sure if maybe both parents had children before marrying each other or how they fit in. The one with children - from what I figured out the son is their sibling but the last name is not the same. This newly shown one looks like Frank.

I don't know how many there are, but no doubt it's all been shrouded in perfect Christianity, even to the point of not mentioning the ones that don't fit the bill.

Based on the comments, this Ben of their has been prayed for fervently the past however many years and many will continue to do so. I don't know how that is different than everyone else in their circle, with the constant prayers, but it seems worth mentioning simply by its consistency - the commenters are all praying their little brains out for Ben.

It would sorta' be interesting to know why he needs such constant prayers from so many. But, as much as I'd like a juicy story for one of the fundie families to lose an ounce or two of their self styled royalty, even something like going to college or marrying a non fundie or choosing a church with a different dress code is so sinful the women clutch their pearls. So, I don't hold out hope for it being anything juicy or even interesting.

Why are they so interested in fucking about with a school system that they have no intention of using?

22 minutes ago, uber frau said:

Why are they so interested in fucking about with a school system that they have no intention of using?

I know, right?  I wonder what Frank even does, for a living.  From Mariah's Facebook it looks like they just constantly pack up the whole brood and travel around protesting abortion, or the "persecution" (ha) of Kim Davis, or anti-discrimination ordinances.  

He is so disgusting. And yes, why even bother about the evil public school system? His kids are so holy they only need their momma and some good ole homeskooling full of Jebus.

Archived