IGNORED

General Cosmetics Discussion

iweartanktops

@felinefundie, it's really too bad that Prescriptives doesn't have department store counters anymore.  They had custom-blend foundation and powder which were great for us very light skinned people. They do have online sales and they do have an online consultation, but I don't know how good it is really.  That custom blend makeup is not inexpensive either.  I think it's about $75 for an ounce of foundation.  It wasn't $75 when they had makeup counters.

One option might by CoverFX Custom Cover drops.  You just add enough drops to your moisturizer or sunscreen till you get the right shade.  They do have different shades so it's not like Bare Minerals where it might be too yellow.

Another option is NARS.  You can get that at Sephora or maybe a good department store will have a counter.  NARS has a color called Siberia which is very light.  I'd thought about trying that color, but found a Lancome shade that works.  NARS is expensive ($48) but if you don't need foundation all the time, it might be something you could do.

@PennySycamore Thank you so much! I'm definitely going to look into those options. I really think that good makeup that actually  matches my skin tone is worth splurging on when I can. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you live somewhere with a Sephora I recommend trying it out. This is a general purpose statement. They love people who walk in and say I need mascara like this, or (like I did the other night) my hair is melting can you help me fix it? They'll give you makeup samples too...which the department store counters are not as consistent with.

• Upvote 4

On 2/21/2016 at 2:43 AM, AliceInFundyland said:

If you live somewhere with a Sephora I recommend trying it out. This is a general purpose statement. They love people who walk in and say I need mascara like this, or (like I did the other night) my hair is melting can you help me fix it? They'll give you makeup samples too...which the department store counters are not as consistent with.

Yeah, this is great advice @felinefundie! I would add Ulta, as well. :)

• Upvote 1

On 2/5/2016 at 0:31 AM, felinefundie said:

I wasn't sure if it was worth starting a new topic, so I'll just ask in this thread.

I have super fair skin and most drug store foundations and concealers are too dark. Does anyone know of any relatively affordable foundations in light shades? I would really love to be able to conceal the odd face demon with something that doesn't make me look like I got a Duggar-style fake tan. 

Super pale person here. The only low-end foundation I can wear is Loreal True Match. Not all stores carry the full line, so be careful. I think Ulta does, though. What I like is that it comes in three different tones: cool, neutral, and warm. I have warm-toned skin, and finding a pale-enough foundation that isn't also orange is a challenge.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 16strong said:

Super pale person here. The only low-end foundation I can wear is Loreal True Match. Not all stores carry the full line, so be careful. I think Ulta does, though. What I like is that it comes in three different tones: cool, neutral, and warm. I have warm-toned skin, and finding a pale-enough foundation that isn't also orange is a challenge.

You know i'm not even that pale and even I have this problem and on top of that I have oily skin that oxidizes the pigments and they become darker over time.

I love Bobbi Brown, she revolutionized the foundation world for general public. She knew what actors and drag queens did and that was use less of that pink tone foundation and use more of that yellow tone because 80s, 90s and early 00s everything was pretty dang pink colored. In my opinion the market pushed it too far and eradicated all pink or warm undertones for pale or light skin. After that it was even harder to find light colored foundation. The less yellow and more pink tones are coming back and i'm happy about that. I'm light but have a pretty neutral undertone.

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...

does anyone use NARS sheer glow foundation? I'd love to try it, but in the swatches, it looks like it has very yellow undertones, and I have very pink undertones :tw_bawling:

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/2/2016 at 11:55 AM, Alicja said:

does anyone use NARS sheer glow foundation? I'd love to try it, but in the swatches, it looks like it has very yellow undertones, and I have very pink undertones :tw_bawling:

I haven't used it, but I've been looking at it because i'm running low on my clinique foundation. Mont Blanc and Vallauris have pink undertones. There's also a couple of shades with neutral undertones (Siberia, Deauville)

http://www.narscosmetics.com/USA/sheer-glow-foundation/999NACSGLWF01.html?dwvar_999NACSGLWF01_color=7845060475#start=5

• Upvote 2

I haven't used it, but I've been looking at it because i'm running low on my clinique foundation. Mont Blanc and Vallauris have pink undertones. There's also a couple of shades with neutral undertones (Siberia, Deauville)

http://www.narscosmetics.com/USA/sheer-glow-foundation/999NACSGLWF01.html?dwvar_999NACSGLWF01_color=7845060475#start=5

God bless! I think a trip to Sephora is in order [emoji16]

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...

I'm superpale and have found that Maybelline FitMe has my shade, and it's only the second palest shade they carry.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

My boyfriend is getting me a MAC giftcard for my birthday. I've never bought anything from MAC (because of the cost) so can anyone recommend me some stuff from there? I've heard good things about their mascara, but I don't know anything else.

• Upvote 1

Super glad you guys recommended IT Cosmetics CC cream. It's freaking awesome!! New favorite brand. All their stuff is amazing.

• Upvote 2

My boyfriend is getting me a MAC giftcard for my birthday. I've never bought anything from MAC (because of the cost) so can anyone recommend me some stuff from there? I've heard good things about their mascara, but I don't know anything else.

Love their concealer
  • Upvote 2

Thanks to the recommendations here, I just bought the travel size of the IT Cosmetics CC cream at Ulta. I decided to do that so I can try that stuff before spending the $38.

• Upvote 2

• 5 months later...
On 7/26/2016 at 7:32 PM, ADoyle90815 said:

Thanks to the recommendations here, I just bought the travel size of the IT Cosmetics CC cream at Ulta. I decided to do that so I can try that stuff before spending the $38.

I'm still getting my feet wet while navigating my lesser visited forums and chiming in a bit late, but for anyone who uses foundation, the IT 'bye bye foundation' is like nothing else. I don't normally wear foundation, but this stuff is  just wonderful!

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

So tbh I wasn't sure if this should go here or in health/wellness but this seemed slightly more appropriate - but please let me know if this is not the right forum.

I got braces yesterday purely for cosmetic reasons, mainly to close a gap between my front teeth, and fix other small imperfections. I thought I always wanted to do it and I should have been excited to finally close my gap, but I just feel sad about it. I have been crying all night and I think I add a mistake.

Can I get opinions? Should I keep my gap or continue the treatment to close it?

Thanks! And again sorry if this is not the correct forum.

IMG_5433.JPG

• Upvote 1

I'm fairly new to this whole make-up thing and I'm having an issue with my mascara running. It doesn't seem to matter what the type is, I always end up looking like a raccoon who got punched in the face. Any ideas?

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I'm fairly new to this whole make-up thing and I'm having an issue with my mascara running. It doesn't seem to matter what the type is, I always end up looking like a raccoon who got punched in the face. Any ideas?

@ViolaSebastian, have you tried a waterproof mascara?  Several of us have to use waterproof formulae or we end up looking like raccoons.  

@Londish, I think your gap (or diastema if you want to get technical) is adorable!    There used to be a website dedicated to those lucky enough to be gap-toothed like David Letterman and Lauren Hutton.  You may not know Lauren, but she was a supermodel before there were supermodels.

Lauren Hutton

I suppose I could add this to the thread about finishing powders, but I found out today that Estee Lauder has started making their Perfectionist powder in Translucent.  YAY! I wish they'd never discontinued Lucidity and I wish that I'd known this before I bought Lancome powder on Saturday.  The EL powder is a much better shade.  The Lancome powder isn't horrible though, just a smidge too dark or yellow or something.

FWIW, L'Oreal is a less expensive form of Lancome and Maybelline is a less expensive version of L'Oreal.  If you find a shade of foundation that works in Lancome, you can probably find the same shade in the less expensive lines if you go to a store that has the complete line. 

16 hours ago, ViolaSebastian said:

I use wet n wild waterproof. Cheap and effective, and doesn't aggravate my blepharitis.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

@Londish, I love your gap and am not a big fan of my braces-Pleasantville-perfect teetch, cosmetically. My boyfriend has a gap. I hope whatever decision you made is working well for you!

Hi all, I'm new to this forum, just starting to get into makeup for the most part. My question is where can I start when it comes to figuring out how to "blend" eyeshadow? I only have drugstore eyeshadows that sometimes look good but the colors get all blurred together within a few hours. Should I invest more in eyeshadow, or in brushes? How about primer? I'm using Body Shop concealer as primer as the moment. Are there any good tips or resources for figuring this out?

• 1 year later...

What do you guys recommend to contour? I've never done it before but need to start. I prefer drugstore recommendations only because money is tight.