IGNORED

Bates Family Part 8

Coconut Flan

I agree that the Bates family seem more normal than  the Duggars, and I doubt that the parents were ever really friends. I think the Bates' were brought on to make it seem that the Duggars weren't quite so insular as they seemed. The kids seem to have friendships among themselves, as much as this type of lifestyle allows. I just can't feel any warmth toward any of them.

• Replies 512
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought that it was interesting that the Bates Family posted their March for Life photo way after the fact. The event was on January 24 and they posted the photo on January 30. I wonder why they posted so late. Who's the girl behind Nathan?

Nearly 500 people attended the rally Jan. 24 at the Tennessee Amphitheatre on the World’s Fair site, and more than 400 marched several blocks to a Clinch Avenue abortion facility, where they were greeted by a bagpiper playing “Amazing Grace.”

Cute video of baby Carson. I wonder who made his outfit. I know ZsuZsu has the special machine to do it.

Allie Jane Church Photo Today. It appears Alyssa drew on her own hand the words love.

Preview of the wedding episode:

Looking forward to the episode.

I shouldn't be, but I'm still disturbed by the alterations to strapless/sleeveless wedding gowns.  There is no way to disguise that it was originally a sleeveless boned bodice and they've tacked something onto it.  The original lines still show.  They will never lie properly and it takes a lovely dress and makes it look somewhere between tacky and frumpy because it's always obvious it was altered.  Jill Duggar's dress may have had the best alteration job as far the fabric, but the fit was possibly worse than any of the Bates daughters so far. 

8 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

I shouldn't be, but I'm still disturbed by the alterations to strapless/sleeveless wedding gowns.  There is no way to disguise that it was originally a sleeveless boned bodice and they've tacked something onto it.  The original lines still show.  They will never lie properly and it takes a lovely dress and makes it look somewhere between tacky and frumpy because it's always obvious it was altered.  Jill Duggar's dress may have had the best alteration job as far the fabric, but the fit was possibly worse than any of the Bates daughters so far. 

I agree. I don't know why they just don't go the route of LDS wedding gowns, or find something else modest enough like Jessa did. Not that hard.

18 hours ago, actuallyjessica said:

How about this than. You have to remember Fj is a snark site. 

There are plenty of places across the Web to leg hump these fools. This is where I come for real talk. 

Carry on with the cute babies and what not.  Also carry on with exposeing the failing of the Bates. The largest being that they are in a cult.  Do not stop pointing this out. 

This quote issues, the top quote was me. 

So we're leg humpers because we think their babies are cute? No one says real conversation can't be had. Bradley Bates is *really* cute! I jest.

I certainly do not agree with how they've been in a horrible cult and made some very bad choices over the past 25 years because of it, but I'm not ready to simply write their offspring off just because of affiliation or choices that their parents have made.

This family is the Bitch Eating Cookies for some of you on here.

Edit: why the hell do my quotes keep messing up on here, but never on any other websites that I tapatalk for?

I feel like you misunderstood. I did not call anyone here a leg humper, I mentioned it as a verb, and was just distinguishing fj from a fan forum.  

I was sincere when I said to carry on with the cute babies,Bradley gives me baby fever every damn time.  

What was bothering me was the posters saying or implying that those of us pointing out the cult should stop. Everyone should carry on posting what they actually think and feel. Don't get your panties in a twist when others do the same. 

12 hours ago, Alye said:

The thing is no one is disagreeing. That's why its so annoying. We all agree that the Bates have horrible, fucked up beliefs.

This 

14 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

Yeah. I was actually shocked when the Bateses said on their show that the friend who has altered all the girls' wedding gowns so far was actually a professional seamstress who used to work in a bridal boutique. Just goes to show that there simply is no way to completely alter a dress like that without it looking tacky/crappy. Count me among those who don't understand why they can't just buy an already modest dress like Jessa Duggar or add a jacket like Whitney did, I believe.

2 hours ago, accountingstar said:

Looking forward to the episode.

When Michaela says "Daddy, I'm so happy" I genuinely believe her and I hope she is still that excited about her marriage, husband, and future life. As horrible as the cult is, I cannot fault the children who were born/forced into it and I wish them all genuine happiness (and I selfishly wish that happiness is far, far away from ATI and Gothard.)

With the Duggars, I always feel like they are hiding something.  No matter who is talking to the camera, they will only present to us what they want to present to us.  Very guarded and they seem to have secrets.    

The Bates seem much more open and "hey, this is who we are".  Now I know that isn't true, they are hiding as much about what they believe as the Duggars, but they don't come across like they are protecting their very pure image.  The Duggars are so stiff and "formal" whereas the Bates are more laid back and casual in their presentation. 

I also feel like with the Bates, there is actually a chance at change.  They do seem to read why people don't agree with their views.  I do think they examine the way they feel about certain issues or how they have done something in the past.  I do feel that they learn from experience and don't just keep trying to pound a square nail into a round slot.  Just like softening up the courtship rules and letting their kids do things outside of Gil's control.  i.e. None of his married kids (son, daughters or son-in-laws work for him.   Zach admitting that he and Whitney kissed before marriage even though it went against what Gil and Kelly wanted.  Lawson getting to record his music and be on social media before marriage.  Several of the kids attending college classes. 

I know these are baby steps, but it is more than the Duggars or Maxwell kids get. 

I am interested in what Gil will say or how he acts (reacts) to the lawsuit.  There is no doubt he is close to Gothard.  I hope that Gil and other Gothard families will open their eyes and begin to realize how deceived they have been. 

I also think Michael has been a beautiful bride to be.  In the previews when she says to her Dad, "I'm so happy", it seems very tender.  A true and genuine moment. 

3 minutes ago, doubleT said:

but it is more than the Duggars

A Dugger kid is going to Crown college in Tennessee, so they do actually let their kids attend college. They can even move out of state to do so. Until now I don't think any of the Duggars really wanted to go to college, but clearly they will allow college. 

5 minutes ago, doubleT said:

I am interested in what Gil will say or how he acts (reacts) to the lawsuit.  There is no doubt he is close to Gothard.  I hope that Gil and other Gothard families will open their eyes and begin to realize how deceived they have been. 

Oh, they have seen Gothard for what he is in relation to them, and that is being a huge liability. Which is why Gil and the rest of the board tossed Gothard the second they got the chance. Gil's reaction to the lawsuit has been to help shuffle the millions of dollars around to make sure none of the victims can get it. I'm sure that right now Gil and the rest of the board hate Gothard because he worked with the other lawyer to provide evidence that they did a sham investigation and lied about abuse. So, so far, Gil's reaction has been to lie, shuffle money around and try to do his best to hurt the victims. He isn't some deceived soul who doesn't know he has been doing wrong. He is an educated man who has taken calculated and well thought out steps to ignore abuse in favor of money. 

formergothardite -

A Duggar kid (7th or 8th in line) got to attend Crown for a semester or a year and probably only because the Bateses said they would be accountable for him.  But true, one Duggar did get to try a brick and mortar college. 

You are right, about Gil and his actions on the BOD.  I stand corrected.  And for that, he is a terrible man whose morals and values are far, far away from being Christ like, or even good person like. 

Just from looking at other ATI families, I suspect that without reality tv money the Duggars would have had more kids in college and working regular jobs. The Bates didn't have the money to support a bunch of adults, they sort of had to let them out to get an education and make money. If they had had the money, I wonder if Gil wouldn't appear to be just as bad as Jim Bob because I really don't think they are that much different. 

1 hour ago, JillyO said:

Yeah. I was actually shocked when the Bateses said on their show that the friend who has altered all the girls' wedding gowns so far was actually a professional seamstress who used to work in a bridal boutique. Just goes to show that there simply is no way to completely alter a dress like that without it looking tacky/crappy. Count me among those who don't understand why they can't just buy an already modest dress like Jessa Duggar or add a jacket like Whitney did, I believe.

Because the visible alterations and frumpiness is like silently bragging about how modest they are. Normal, already modest dresses don't allow that, they require them to bring it up on their own.

1 hour ago, Coconut Flan said:

I hate this, too, especially as there is no need for it as there are a million perfectly lovely wedding dresses that would meet their modesty criteria with no alterations necessary because different style.

This sewing a t-shirt thing underneath is the opposite of modest because it's calling attention to how pure they are.  Which wouldn't be the case if they bought or made a dress which had sleeves and a suitable neckline.  

From memory I did think Jessa's dress was lovely (someone on FJ had the same dress. It didn't alter the back and posted pics - it's a great dress) and Michael's was awful...like a bolero jacket was tacked on as an afterthought.  

The best fundy wedding dress I've seen was Priscilla's.  Headpiece, veil...even though it was kind of t-shirty in style it totally worked and she looked great.  

1 hour ago, Coconut Flan said:

It's just another opportunity to play the "we aren't of this secular world" card. I think that they intentionally seek out dresses that have to be modified so that they can prosthelytize about their values. It's MUCH easier to find modest wedding apparel than these people claim. 

Forcing a modern, trendy wedding dress to conform to your specific modest standards when it would be easier (and prettier) to embellish a dress that's already modest is the epitome of "LOOK AT MEEEE AND MY BELIEFS!!!!!!" This is pretty much the fundy way for all things: bitch and moan about how the world keeps trying to creep in and ruin your personal Jesus utopia when you just want to be left alone, but meanwhile do everything in your power to shoehorn your beliefs into the world around you. 

1 hour ago, actuallyjessica said:

I agree. I don't know why they just don't go the route of LDS wedding gowns, or find something else modest enough like Jessa did. Not that hard.

YES. A lot of LDS gowns are so beautifull (I love lace sleeves), I might get one myself. Is it because they are LDS? I do not understand why they don't google "modest wedding gowns", and find something that already meets their criteria.

Yeah, I don't see why so many girls wanting a modest wedding dress go for the fugly T-shirt gowns instead of the Kate Middleton/Kim K style long sleeve dresses that are so trendy now? I see lacy applique'd sleeves all over my Facebook these days. Plenty of celebs wearing 'em too this year. This one is especially dreamy.

31 minutes ago, nickelodeon said:

Yeah, I don't see why so many girls wanting a modest wedding dress go for the fugly T-shirt gowns instead of the Kate Middleton/Kim K style long sleeve dresses that are so trendy now? I see lacy applique'd sleeves all over my Facebook these days. Plenty of celebs wearing 'em too this year. This one is especially dreamy.

I was thinking that gown was Nicky Hilton's and I was right!  Nicky had a Jewish wedding in London and, IIRC, she did convert.  She married a Rothschild. If Nicky did convert, she  would not be the first convert in the family; her aunt Kyle Richards converted to Judaism when she married Mauricio.

2 hours ago, Casserole said:

When Michaela says "Daddy, I'm so happy" I genuinely believe her and I hope she is still that excited about her marriage, husband, and future life. As horrible as the cult is, I cannot fault the children who were born/forced into it and I wish them all genuine happiness (and I selfishly wish that happiness is far, far away from ATI and Gothard.)

I teared up a little bit when the little girl (Callie?) was hugging Michael.  Poor thing was probably in tears the whole time (I've also noticed on INstagram photos that she attaches herself to Michael when they're in town).

This is a good example of why sister moms do not work.  

ETA as far as modest wedding dresses go, I didn't like the alterations, but I think Erin's was far worse.  (Alyssa's was the best of the Bates brides, but probably not modest enough for Michael).  Jessa's dress was probably too low cut for Michael.

I also agree with the LDS dresses or search for an already modest one.  Priscilla's dress was modest, and from the close ups, it seems it was designed that way as opposed to altered.  She needs to share the name of the store/designer with all ATI brides.

1 hour ago, Thorns said:

YES. A lot of LDS gowns are so beautifull (I love lace sleeves), I might get one myself. Is it because they are LDS? I do not understand why they don't google "modest wedding gowns", and find something that already meets their criteria.

THIS. I went to high school with LDS twins who are both married now, and I was super tempted to pin their wedding photos to my Pretending I'm Not Going to Die Alone Wedding Board because both of their dresses were GORGEOUS. Very 1930s and elegant. I don't understand why anyone still goes with the Bridal T-Shirt style anymore when there are so many lovely options that cover what needs to be covered but still look fashion-forward.

I really think that if Michael got the dress with a topper or a bolero instead of that awkward and obvious alteration, or just went to a store that sold modest dresses, she would have looked gorgeous. She looked gorgeous regardless, but she would have looked more gorgeous.

2 hours ago, 19 cats and counting said:

ETA as far as modest wedding dresses go, I didn't like the alterations, but I think Erin's was far worse.  (Alyssa's was the best of the Bates brides, but probably not modest enough for Michael).  Jessa's dress was probably too low cut for Michael.

I agree Alyssa's was the best Bates dress. I think Whitney's was probably beautiful, but I don't like boleros--just personal preference--so that's all I focus on when I look at pictures of their wedding. 

I had to relook at Jessa's wedding dress' neckline. I agree probably too low for Michaella. Her modesty standards seem even moreso than the rest of the girls mentioned so far. BUT, hers was still better than Anna Duggar's wedding dress. They definitely benefitted from more funds and more modern beauty ideals they hold now. 

I didn't like Whit's bolero either.  That's all I focused on in the photos (she was beautiful otherwise).   

Anna's dress problem is that it was her sister's dress (nothing wrong with that), but it was made/altered to fit her sister and not her and it just didn't look right.  It would have been a better dress if it fit her (and it was probably better on her sister).

I wonder what Michaella's dress would have looked like if she married during the matching frumper days.  (Or the bridesmaids for that matter--- I wasn't the biggest fan of her bridesmaids dresses though, they would have been better as knee length).

I have to agree the Bates and Duggar adults dont seem to be into each other but I feel some of the kids like each other.

I recall Michelle saying early in the show they were more 'liberal" than the Bates. The Bateses didnt have TV or internet at all then. I don't think Gil and Kelly 'allow' them to do more because they want to. As mentioned often, Erin had to turn down a scholarship. And I dont think any of the Bates or Duggars would get these lavish weddings or honeymoons without TLC. From the looks of it, these weddings must have cost near 5-figures. Consider the 1k guests.

Out of all the fundie wedding dresses I have seen on FJ, I thought Jessa Duggar's was the best, followed by Elissa Maxwell's.  Of course neither of the dresses were obviously sleeveless with a t-shirt haphazardly sewn inside. 

If they just can't bear buying from an LDS site, they could try sites that cater to Orthodox Jewish women.  They should still hang their heads in shame that no one in the ATI world seems to have the talent or drive to open a business designing and selling modest wedding dresses.  It's not like there isn't a huge demand.

I loved the dress Michaela picked out in the earlier episodes - but decided against it because of price. That was perfect for her.

She just strikes me as very simple, modesty aside. Hair, makeup, everything for the wedding was very subtle. 

I never understand why they insist on non-modest dresses with a poor addition over a nice, already modest dress. Allure has a gorgeous line. Most places do. 

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived