IGNORED

Do they EVER cook from scratch? or garden?

samira_catlover

3 minutes ago, SpoonfulOSugar said:

Peas should not be tossed in anything.

By themselves, fine.

They do not belong in casseroles or stews.  IDK who came up with that idea, but it is WRONG.  Wrong, wrong, wrong.

I wholeheartedly agree. :D 

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is my go to easy mac and cheese recipe... Sometimes I make a baked one with a roux, but this one really does take about as much time as from boxed. I usually use cheddar and/or Colby jack, because I always have those 2 on hand, with some parmesan too.

http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2013/04/08/recipe-creamy-whole-wheat-mac-and-cheese/

1 ½ cups dry whole-wheat macaroni/elbow noodles, cooked according to package directions

2 tablespoons butter

⅓ cup + 1 tablespoon heavy cream, divided

1 ¼ cups freshly grated cheese (mild cheddar, sharp cheddar, Monterey Jack or even better – a combination of different cheeses is highly recommended including a little Parmesan cheese if you have it)

¼ teaspoon salt

Pepper, to taste (this dish is great with pepper on top)

Instructions

In the pot you used to boil the noodles, melt the butter over medium-low heat. Stir in the ⅓ cup of cream until well combined.

Turn the heat down to low and add the noodles, cheese, salt and pepper and cook while stirring until the the cheese melts. Stir in the last tablespoon of cream at the end. Season with black pepper and serve immediately.

10 minutes ago, SpoonfulOSugar said:

By themselves, fine.

They do not belong in casseroles or stews.  IDK who came up with that idea, but it is WRONG.  Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Peas should not be cooked at all.  In fact they should not even make it out of the garden but be eaten by the handful out there, with the pods then dropped into the compost pile...

2 hours ago, Jucifer said:

My little sister and I visited our big sister in Vermont last year.  We stopped by the Ben & Jerry's HQ but they were closed that day.  

As much as I I love Cabot cheese, I didn't think to tour the creamery.  Next time! :D

@Jucifer, when you get back to Vermont, you definitely should go to Cabot.  It's in a tiny village off the road between Montpelier and St Johnsbury.  There are lots of signs pointing out the way.  We stopped in after we'd been to B&J.  The Ben and Jerry's factory is open for tours on Saturday, but they aren't running the factory on that day.   We should have just had ice cream and cheese for lunch instead of the bad Chinese we had in Montpelier.

Peas should be left in the garden for the birds. They should not even make it into the house or a human...

Can you tell I hate peas?

Tonight, I tossed peas into my Brown Basmati Rice- served with Tilapia Tikka Masala and zucchini.

Delish-

1 hour ago, SpoonfulOSugar said:

By themselves, fine.

i absolutely love peas, fresh or frozen (not canned, never canned veggies; they're mushy and gray-toned and gross).  and no, they should not be mixed with anything; it just ruins them.  

my late MIL swore by canned peas, beans, and corn.  she would boil them in about a quart of water, then put them in a serving bowl *with* the boil-water.  it always freaked me out, and yes, mushy peas can get even mushier; they  were like baby food.  i would take maybe one spoon of them and quickly pass the bowl away.  to this day, i have never told Mr. CL how nasty i thought that was.

46 minutes ago, Chickenbutt said:

Peas should be left in the garden for the birds. They should not even make it into the house or a human...

Can you tell I hate peas?

Chickenbutt, i hate the fact that you hate peas, but i love your name and your avatar!!

i am thinking that in Duggarville, no one fixes lunch for the howlers or the lost girls. It seems that they graze in the snack fridge or cupboards for what ever they can find to eat. I remember Mullet laughing at poor Jordyn eating an empty ice cream cone.

3 hours ago, Pretzel said:

I can't get over the fact how lazy they are.

And they even have an industrial kitchen of which they use only a few items!!!! I wonder if there's also an industrial dough kneader somewhere. They could've even bought a big KitchenAid instead of some other supplies. It is SO easy to make pizza crust, I swear, you don't even have to buy pre-packaged dough: Water, flour ( a little whole flour can be added to make it healthier), yeast, salt and oil. That's it. Throw it in the mixer, let the mixer knead the dough, let the dough rise, et voila...pizza dough.It can be made in bulk and put in the freezer. It can even be used to keep the young kids busy. Give each of them a piece of dough and a rolling pin, provide some condiments and toppings and have them make their own pizzas. There is no need for poor man's pizza, ever. Actually, there is never a need for any crap that the Duggars eat.

I wonder how much is laziness and how much is that they have no imagination.  Their recipes are a lot like their religion.  They want pre-planned, pre-processed simplified versions of food that take very little thought to assemble.  They are used to this. Anything different would taste strange.  Similarly their religion is pre-planned and pre-processed by Gothard and the rest of the ATI crowd.  Their "Wisdom Booklets" take the place of real reading of the Bible or thinking about right and wrong the same as tater tots and cream of whatever and Velveeta take the place of  real food and real cooking.  Religion doesn't "taste right" to them if it is not "pre-processed" -and the same goes for food.

I'm late to the Velveetafest part of this thread, but here it is anyway: though I can't stand the stuff in any of its usual incarnations, I buy it once a year to make my great-aunt's traditional peanut butter fudge recipe.  She probably got it off the back of a box at some point - it's peanut butter, butter, and Velveeta melted together in a saucepan, then taken off the heat and beaten with a great deal of powdered sugar.  The overt cheesiness and saltiness of the Velveeta is transmuted somehow by the peanut butter and the sugar, and you end up with a complex, rich-tasting, perfect-textured fudge that cuts like a dream.  Nobody who doesn't know the Velveeta is in there can ever guess at the secret ingredient.  If we ate it more than once a year we'd probably be dead.

There's also a version that uses cocoa and more regular butter and omits the peanut butter, but take it from me:  the peanut butter fudge is superior.

On 1/28/2016 at 11:49 AM, DuggarWatch said:

Michelle, Jill and Jessa wear hair extensions.

Seriously?! I had no idea. Also, how is that not seen as wasteful? Unless they "buy used and save the difference." Ew.

Velveeta's biggest claim to fame is being mixed with Ro-Tel to make a dip that is frequently eaten during the Super Bowl.   Go Panthers!

22 minutes ago, PennySycamore said:

Velveeta's biggest claim to fame is being mixed with Ro-Tel to make a dip that is frequently eaten during the Super Bowl.   Go Panthers!

I cannot wait. For Superbowl food including Velveeta Ro-tel dip.

Also party pizzas.

4 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I've never had Velveeta. What is it made of?

Wolf, believe me, you don't even want to know. I've never had Velveeta and it's certainly nothing that I'd ever crave! 

4 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

:pb_lol:

That's the million dollar question! I don't think anybody knows! What we do know is that it aspired to be cheese, failed horribly, and thus is labeled as a "cheese product".

1 hour ago, Bad Wolf said:

The official list of ingredients: Milk, Water, Whey, Milk Protein Concentrate, Milkfat, Whey Protein Concentrate, Sodium Phosphate, Contains 2% or less of: Salt, Calcium Phosphate, Lactic Acid, Sorbic Acid, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Alginate, Enzymes, Apocarotenal, Annatto, Cheese Culture.

It is so phony that it doesn't even need refrigeration until it is opened!  Read more here:

http://www.organicauthority.com/what's-in-velveeta

46 minutes ago, DuggarWatch said:

The official list of ingredients: Milk, Water, Whey, Milk Protein Concentrate, Milkfat, Whey Protein Concentrate, Sodium Phosphate, Contains 2% or less of: Salt, Calcium Phosphate, Lactic Acid, Sorbic Acid, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Alginate, Enzymes, Apocarotenal, Annatto, Cheese Culture.

It is so phony that it doesn't even need refrigeration until it is opened!  Read more here:

http://www.organicauthority.com/what's-in-velveeta

Sodium alginate? Isn't that the rubbery stuff used to make dental impressions? Gross. That explains the plasticky texture.

I wonder if it would be cheaper for them to purchase bulk sizes from Costco/Sams/BJs instead of hundreds of individual cans from Aldi.  Has anyone ever done the math?  

4 minutes ago, MatthewDuggar said:

I wonder if it would be cheaper for them to purchase bulk sizes from Costco/Sams/BJs instead of hundreds of individual cans from Aldi.  Has anyone ever done the math?  

Nope, but it would certainly be less work.  It wold almost certainly be cheaper though.

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived