IGNORED

Do they EVER cook from scratch? or garden?

samira_catlover

Jurisdictions = legalese- they are big on that concept. Follow through? Bwahh, beyond procreation, there is no follow through on anything in Duggarville.

Their house should be immaculate with all those helping hands and their claims of strict routine and rules. I don't know if it smells as I've never been inside. I do think the Duggars lack basic hygiene and manners. I do wonder how often those younger boys and girls shower. Who checks to make sure Josie rinses her hair and brushes her teeth?

Maybe that's what the new show focused on Jana will be about...Jana chasing down kids, checking teeth, making sure the kids are doing what they are suppose to do??

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One episode had Josie collecting laundry. She had to pick up JB's dirty underwear off the floor. That's just gross.

9 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

One episode had Josie collecting laundry. She had to pick up JB's dirty underwear off the floor. That's just gross.

I vaguely remember that.  JB is a grown. ass. man. why is he leaving underwear on the floor? especially for his 4 year old to pick up? (or however old she was at the time).  

23 minutes ago, quiverofdoubt said:

I vaguely remember that.  JB is a grown. ass. man. why is he leaving underwear on the floor? especially for his 4 year old to pick up? (or however old she was at the time).  

Honestly, that scene looked like they just picked up laundry and threw it everywhere, then filmed the kids "helping" by collecting said thrown garments.

The pic of Michelle's hair piece made me jump back from the screen a little. Eek.

Tonight I went to a presentation where someone was talking about using capsules with dried fruit and vegetables in them to get the right number of servings per day. I had to fight back giggles because I thought, "omg, this is the solution to the Duggars' problem!" Unfortunately it would cost $1500 a month for all of them through the company doing the presentation, but it's an appropriately lazy way to get those veggies in.

9 hours ago, SilverBeach said:

Try using a slow cooker.

That has been on my Xmas wishlist for the last 2 years. I actually don't have space for one atm. They also aren't popular here so harder to get. 

Slow cookers also aren't always the answer. I had a friend who ended up with burnt food in a slowcooker. I think she put it on the wrong setting

34 minutes ago, OnceUponATime said:

That has been on my Xmas wishlist for the last 2 years. I actually don't have space for one atm. They also aren't popular here so harder to get. 

Slow cookers also aren't always the answer. I had a friend who ended up with burnt food in a slowcooker. I think she put it on the wrong setting

Hon, don't know your location, but here in the Eastern US, thrift/secondhand stores usually have LOTS of crockpots, for less than $10 USD. If you are willing to go for a basic model with no bells and whistles (make sure the metal heats and the liner is intact), it's easy. Have operated for 35+ years with basic CPs with only high-low functions. (Got married in the Chinese Year of the Crockpot---wound up with three from wedding showers, and all are still in use.)

Never burned anything in a CP, but I always add wine, broth, water, V8 juice, something, so we can have plenty of gravy for eating or for freezing leftovers.

Irish Steinway: washboard. (Please Google for images; my computer is being touchy.)

This goes back to the Seriously Bad Olde Days when you put laundry into tubs to soak for 12-24 hours, then took the clothes out and washboarded (with soap) the cuffs, collars, and badly dirtied parts.

After the washboarding, the semi-scrubbed clothes went into a wash boiler for 30 minutes or more, and you got to pound them through the water with an old broomstick.  After that, run the clothes through a wringer into clean water for rinsing, then wring them through again, maybe into fresh water with bluing, wring very dry, and hang out on a line.

Dear Eternal, I do not know how in heck Grammaw managed all that on a farm. For myself, I am super-happy to have a nice washing machine that fills and empties itself, betweenst sloshing clothes around hot water and soap.

Thanks @samira_catlover ! I remember my mother with a washing machine that had a mangle (otherwise known as a wringer:my_smile:) attached. It folded down into the body of the washer when not in use. This was in the mid 1950s. She also had a washboard that she would scrub bad staining, collars and cuffs on before putting into the machine. I'd completely forgotten that.......now I can even remember the smell of Monday washday!

5 hours ago, OnceUponATime said:

No, didnt  say slow cooker was a panacea, just something else to try. Excessive heat is a common cooking error whether using a slow cooker or not. I have the opposite problem, sometimes having too much liquid in my slow cooker dishes. Slow cooker or not, when cooking, food must be monitored. Closely following recipes will help too. Some folks just can't cook, in that case nothing will help! Not talking about you personally.

5 hours ago, samira_catlover said:

Hon, don't know your location, but here in the Eastern US, thrift/secondhand stores usually have LOTS of crockpots, for less than $10 USD. If you are willing to go for a basic model with no bells and whistles (make sure the metal heats and the liner is intact), it's easy. Have operated for 35+ years with basic CPs with only high-low functions. (Got married in the Chinese Year of the Crockpot---wound up with three from wedding showers, and all are still in use.)

Never burned anything in a CP, but I always add wine, broth, water, V8 juice, something, so we can have plenty of gravy for eating or for freezing leftovers.

I will add this: my new crockpot runs much. much hotter than my older one (which I still have and use, especially at holidays and parties). It's an oval shaped model with digital timer settings. My older one is oval shaped too, but just has a basic knob and high/low/warm settings, no timer. I always felt ok about using my older one for overnight oats and the like. But not the new one. That is only used when I'm home and awake.  It managed to scorch the bottom of my mashed potatoes on Thanksgiving that I was holding on the warm setting, even with plenty of butter/half and half at the bottom to provide a buffer.

5 hours ago, samira_catlover said:

same here...a million years ago, circa 1986, i bought a used crockpot at a yard sale, it was probably a few years old then. lost the lid at some point and now make do with foil and a pot lid, but that thing still works as great as it ever did.

6 hours ago, OnceUponATime said:

I have a programmable one from Hamilton Beach, which helps avoid those disasters. It will cook at the setting you have it for the necessary time and then set it to warm until you turn it off. But you do have to be careful when shopping for slow cookers, make sure to read all the reviews. A lot of slow cookers have hot spots or run too hot. It took me about 3 months to settle on the one I got because I wanted to make sure to avoid the bad slow cookers. The one I got had the best reviews for the best price.

7 hours ago, OnceUponATime said:

I got a small rice cooker from Costco. 30$. It's small, but it has a slow cook function. No temp settings, but cooks really low temp for slow cook.  It won't feed a large crowd, but it can do a decent sized roast and supply 3-5 adults easy.  I use it constantly as a slow cooker, more so than a rice cooker. Takes up very little room on the counter.  So simple to throw in some meat, veggies, potatoes, water, seasonings, hit  a few buttons and by dinner time everything is done and amazing. It's never burned anything for me.

10 hours ago, DuggarsTheEndIsNear said:

Honestly, that scene looked like they just picked up laundry and threw it everywhere, then filmed the kids "helping" by collecting said thrown garments.

I thought of that, and felt relieved.   Then backed that train up. If you were staging a "kids doing laundry scene" wouldn't you try to avoid putting underwear in there? I mean, dump the laundry out, scatter around, but then quickly grab the underwear/bras and embarrassing items and get them out of the shot?  

Married in1975, got an orange crock pot for a wedding present. The liner didn't come out. Finally got a larger oval one and put the orange one in the trailer. It died last year. 40 years of faithful service. I've had 2 of the larger ones, the last one from the thrift store.

Wattpad app is a great source of feee indy books. It's a free download for iOS and Android.

I have 3 crock pots...We downsized from 2 homes to 1 (work related), plus I found CPs to be a valuable tool for having dinner waiting after work.

As Duggarstheendisnear said, you have to be careful and do your research before buying. Some CPs are better than others.

On 1/27/2016 at 8:48 AM, QuiverDance said:

I have a friend who has a bunch of chickens in her backyard "for eggs."  

Some damn expensive, stinky, chicken pecking eggs.

I agree that for us, too, it took some investment to buy a good coop and supplies, but once we got the whole setup, the per- egg cost is somewhere in between free- range organic eggs and cheap, old, battery-cage supermarket eggs. I can understand that raising chickens isn' t for everybody, but for us it' s worth it for the way-healthier and better-tasting eggs, as well as the chickens' entertainment value.

28 minutes ago, quiverofdoubt said:

I got a small rice cooker from Costco. 30$. It's small, but it has a slow cook function. No temp settings, but cooks really low temp for slow cook.  It won't feed a large crowd, but it can do a decent sized roast and supply 3-5 adults easy.  I use it constantly as a slow cooker, more so than a rice cooker. Takes up very little room on the counter.  So simple to throw in some meat, veggies, potatoes, water, seasonings, hit  a few buttons and by dinner time everything is done and amazing. It's never burned anything for me.

I thought of that, and felt relieved.   Then backed that train up. If you were staging a "kids doing laundry scene" wouldn't you try to avoid putting underwear in there? I mean, dump the laundry out, scatter around, but then quickly grab the underwear/bras and embarrassing items and get them out of the shot?  

It was probably orchestrated by the production team, who has stated blatantly that they don't care if their subjects are embarrassed by footage, and carried out by handing the kids a basket of clothes without actually paying attention to what was in it. 

I have a crockpot that now seems to cook too hot, although I don't remember it doing that in previous years.

I have once or twice burned things in it, but what happens more frequently is just that it cooks down more than expected -- ie cooks away the liquid.  Even on the low setting.  

I also would like a larger one as I do more cooking than I used to.  So I'm in the market -- but I have to pay attention to the wattage -- nothing over a few hundred watts for me -- even 500 might be too high for my home power system, considering that it's on for hours at a time.  Some of the crockpots I've seen are well over a thousand watts!  Of course most people don't worry about how much electricity stuff uses, but that's a given for me.  I'm sure I'll find a good one somewhere...

On 1/28/2016 at 2:15 AM, samira_catlover said:

Hon (sorry: spent wayyyy too much time in Baltimore, and EVERYBODY is "hon"): just Google to hook up with Project Gutenberg: thousands of public-domain books (i.e., out of copyright) online, multiple languages. Have fun glutting your eyes and overfilling the cloud.

Thank you!

4 minutes ago, DuggarsTheEndIsNear said:

It was probably orchestrated by the production team, who has stated blatantly that they don't care if their subjects are embarrassed by footage, and carried out by handing the kids a basket of clothes without actually paying attention to what was in it. 

I don't think they not care. I think it's very very intentional. Look at the other shows they do- they purposely embarrass people through the editing at least. In the baby beauty pageant shows they love to juxtapose clips of moms saying "oh she loves the pageants, she can quit anytime i don'tm ake her do it" with a clip of the kid screaming and crying and yelling "no mom, i don't want to do it!"  I think most of these "reality" aka exploitation shows are designed to make fun of the people in them. Including the duggars.  I bet tlc was surprised when they got any audience that wasn't watching for pure snark value.

39 minutes ago, quiverofdoubt said:

I don't think they not care. I think it's very very intentional. Look at the other shows they do- they purposely embarrass people through the editing at least. In the baby beauty pageant shows they love to juxtapose clips of moms saying "oh she loves the pageants, she can quit anytime i don'tm ake her do it" with a clip of the kid screaming and crying and yelling "no mom, i don't want to do it!"  I think most of these "reality" aka exploitation shows are designed to make fun of the people in them. Including the duggars.  I bet tlc was surprised when they got any audience that wasn't watching for pure snark value.

One of my old sorority sisters was on Toddlers and Tiaras.  I was flipping channels and paused on TLC because I recognized her immediately by the sound of her voice.  That was the only ep of that show I ever watched.  I was like... wow I feel better about my life choices right now.

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived