IGNORED

Do they EVER cook from scratch? or garden?

samira_catlover

On 1/26/2016 at 10:52 PM, catlady said:

ten bucks says there are Tide Pods somewhere in the TTH.

i;ve been making the laundry detergent for about 5 years now.  my sister wanted a big jug of Tide for Christmas (we request many practical things--i got a rototiller), and i had forgotten how %$#@ expensive it is.  i paired it with the ingredients for a double batch of homemade, and said this will give you four gallons for about 53 cents, and will last as long as the Tide.

Because I'm so far behind but what is your recipe for homemade laundry soap? Is it hard to do?

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

Because I'm so far behind but what is your recipe for homemade laundry soap? Is it hard to do?

hi!  no, it's very easy and takes about 20 minutes including cooking time.

you will need a lidded 5-gallon bucket (big-box hardware store, about $5 or a large kitty litter tub), a large pot, a cheap cheese grater (dollar store), a measuring cup (4-cup is easiest), and a spoon.

these three items can be found at most grocery stores or walmart; my stores have them grouped together on a bottom shelf with the cleaning products:

Fels Naptha Soap (approx $1.20/bar)  grated, divided in thirds

Arm&Hammer Super Washing Soda

Borax (both powders, under $4/box)

here is a double recipe for about 4 gallons:

boil 3 quarts water with 2/3 bar grated Fels Naptha, simmer until dissolved.

add 1 cup soda and 1 cup borax, dissolve, and simmer about 15 minutes, then remove from heat.

place soap in bucket and add 1 quart hot water, stir till blended.

add 11 quarts cold water, stir again.  let stand about a day, stirring periodically for the first few hours.

use half a cup per load.

i grate a few bars of soap at a time and portion it into zip baggies, then measure the powder into pint jars (cup of each per jar), so that when i do a new batch, i grab one baggie and one jar.  i keep 2 buckets on hand and always do a refill before the second one runs out.  in summer, i collect the runoff from the a/c unit and use that for the 11 quarts at the end.  if you have a boil-over, use the residue to clean your stove; it will *shine*!! 

my math was off a bit on the cost per batch; it's a little closer to 80 cents per double batch.

6 hours ago, ElegantMajesticPearls said:

BROCCOLI CHEESE SOUP 
7 lbs. frozen broccoli 
2 lbs. Velveeta™
1 quart sweet whipping cream 
enough water to cook broccoli
1 c. cornstarch w/ cold water to thicken after hot
Cook broccoli first. Add Velveeta™ & whipping cream.
Add corn starch to thicken. Enjoy!

Wow. Just wow. 

That is just gross, why whipping cream??

I have a go to soup that I always keep the ingredients for in my cupboard, it's quick, easy, inepensive and healthy.

1 bottle of V8 juice (large size)

frozen mixed vegetables

browned ground beef

diced potatoes(optional)

1 can navy beans, rinsed

black pepper

dump it all in a crock pot on low and there you go.... feeds a lot and my kids loved it!

41 minutes ago, KSmom said:

That is just gross, why whipping cream??

I have a go to soup that I always keep the ingredients for in my cupboard, it's quick, easy, inepensive and healthy.

1 bottle of V8 juice (large size)

frozen mixed vegetables

browned ground beef

diced potatoes(optional)

1 can navy beans, rinsed

black pepper

dump it all in a crock pot on low and there you go.... feeds a lot and my kids loved it!

on the broccoli artery-clogger, yeah i can't get past the whipping cream either. (and TWO POUNDS of velveeta!)

your soup sounds really good.  i'm going to try that!

I only use velveeta when I make macaroni and cheese. For people who don't use velveeta, do you have other substitutions or other cheeses that work for macaroni and cheese? I don't make it very often so I haven't really experimented with the recipe.

21 minutes ago, Londish said:

I only use velveeta when I make macaroni and cheese. For people who don't use velveeta, do you have other substitutions or other cheeses that work for macaroni and cheese? I don't make it very often so I haven't really experimented with the recipe.

The sliced Tillamook (for ease of use, or you could also grate your own). 

I do the pasta. Drain

Heat up a quantity of milk 

Put either the slices or grated cheese on top, pour hot milk over, cover and heat on low for a few minutes. Open, stir, taste and season.

Volumes depend on desired consistency.

The milk and cheese combo make it really creamy. Some people also add butter.

Cream in broccoli soup is not uncommon or in any way weird. However, in order to not make it look like some weird Pioneer Womanesque concoction, actual cooking skills are required. Skills the Duggars are not lacking, they rather haven't heard of them in forever. 

Velveeta has nothing to do in a kitchen where actual food is being cooked./snobbery.

1 hour ago, Londish said:

I make macaroni cheese quite regularly the kids love it :) I melt a knob of butter in a pan with a little garlic, salt, pepper and a half teaspoon of mustard. Take off the heat and stir in 3 tablespoons of plain flour to make a paste. Then very slowly whisk in 500mls milk to make a smooth sauce, return to the heat stirring constantly until it thickens. Then I just stir in whatever cheese I fancy-usually cheddar, pour over the pasta, bung in the oven with grated cheese on top  :) yummy!

@Londish - I just ccook the pasta and make a simple white sauce and grate up and melt whatever cheese I have on hand into the sauce. Toss with cooked noodles and done. If you feel fancy, pour Mac and cheese into a baking dish and top with more grated cheese and some breadcrumbs. Bake until golden brown and bubbling.

There is also a recipe I saw on Pinterest that involved cooking the pasta in milk and just tossing in a couple of handfuls of grated cheese at the end. I've never tried it that way, so not sure it would work...

I can't get over the poor man's pizza (Ok, I lied they are all gross). They only use 20 slices of bread and she states that she is feeding 26 people. So what child doesn't even get an entire piece of bread for dinner? What on earth keeps the boys full? Or anyone full? It isn't like she is serving a salad on the side or vegetables. I am still disgusted at what this mother of the year calls food for her family. Is she unable to make spaghetti and meatballs? Or as suggested previously just spaghetti and sauce? That would be far better than poor man's pizza.

I sometimes make mac and cheese with a white sauce with cheese melted in poured over boiled macaroni, but usually make it the way my mom did with boiled mac, milk, eggs, melted butter and cheese.  The eggs, milk, melted butter and grated cheese are mixed together and poured over the mac in a greased casserole dish and then baked.  It's different and good!

I just made standard mac & cheese this past week.  Melt 2 tsp butter, stir in 1.4 cup flour, cook for about 2 minutes.  whisk in 2 cups of milk, add 3-4 cups shredded cheese of your choice, a little at a time, whisking until it becomes a very creamy sauce.  pour over prepared elbow macaroni (or any other variety of tube pasta), stir and spread into a shallow baking dish.  Bake at 375 for about 25 minutes.  Some people like to bake it longer to get a golden brown crust.  You can top it with bread crumbs or panko.  Some people put sliced tomatoes on the top as well.

Duggar logic strikes again here.

Do these people realize that Vegetables are the cheapest thing you can buy from a supermarket?

They'd be better off to buy shiploads of Veggies, cook up a big soup (Not to mention Chicken stock is super cheap and easy to make litres of) and freeze / portion out / serve accordingly.

I think it would also fill tummies better than poor man's pizza.

24 minutes ago, CorruptionInc. said:

Duggar logic strikes again here.

Do these people realize that Vegetables are the cheapest thing you can buy from a supermarket?

They'd be better off to buy shiploads of Veggies, cook up a big soup (Not to mention Chicken stock is super cheap and easy to make litres of) and freeze / portion out / serve accordingly.

I think it would also fill tummies better than poor man's pizza.

Lazy and dumb is a bad combo

Just now, SassyPants said:

Lazy and dumb is a bad combo

Haha tell me about it.

My friend's wife is lazy and dumb... it makes life... how shall we say... interesting?

3 hours ago, Londish said:

I make it with milk, flour and shredded cheddar cheese.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup chopped onion

2.5 tablespoons butter or olive oil

2 tablespoons flour (white, self-rising, wheat, whatever)

1/2 to 3/4 cup milk (skim, 2% or whole)

1 cup cheese, divided into 2 parts (low fat or full fat work fine; fat free is more difficult to get to melt properly, but it can be done)

Pasta of preference 

Directions:

Heat oven to 350.

Boil pasta according to directions.

While pasta is in the works, sauté onions in oil/butter until soft.

Stir in flour and cook until smooth, but not browned

Lower heat, gradually add in milk and stir until thickened slightly.

Stir in 1/2 cup of cheese and stir until melted. Sauce will continue to thicken.

Drain pasta and combine pasta and cheese sauce in oven-proof dish

Top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese

Cover and  bake 20-45 minutes. 

2 hours ago, Valerie3kids said:

I can't get over the poor man's pizza (Ok, I lied they are all gross). They only use 20 slices of bread and she states that she is feeding 26 people. So what child doesn't even get an entire piece of bread for dinner? What on earth keeps the boys full? Or anyone full? It isn't like she is serving a salad on the side or vegetables. I am still disgusted at what this mother of the year calls food for her family. Is she unable to make spaghetti and meatballs? Or as suggested previously just spaghetti and sauce? That would be far better than poor man's pizza.

I just assumed they doubled or tripled the "recipe" to feed all of them. I certainly hope so!

2 hours ago, Valerie3kids said:

During the grape picking episode Mullet did claim to ration grapes, if she rations grapes what else does she ration?

As to the Duggars not eating pork, don't they know pepperoni and sausage on pizza is still pork/?

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 4:02 PM, Bad Wolf said:

I bought the Joy of Cooking when I was 19. Still have it. I always thought that if you can read, you can cook. Doesn't have to be gourmet. Don't use JoC much any more, as we're mostly vegan, but it can be handy.

Joy of Cooking is my most used cookbook... it has the stains to prove it, lol

@rainbowbabycakes, I finally had to throw out my JoC because apparently some butter got spilled on it.  The butter turned rancid.  What you don't need is a cookbook that smells really bad.

One would think that if they ban all romance novels and non Got-Hard approved stuff from their home, they'd at least let all homesteading and cooking books in, right? One would also think that with so many people in the house there'd be enough every day to coupon, go veggie hunting and cook a healthy meal from scratch. But those tastebuds are probably so clogged from all the Velveeta and crockpot ramens that any real flavor wouldn't get through anyway.

11 hours ago, ElegantMajesticPearls said:

BROCCOLI CHEESE SOUP 
7 lbs. frozen broccoli 
2 lbs. Velveeta™
1 quart sweet whipping cream 
enough water to cook broccoli
1 c. cornstarch w/ cold water to thicken after hot
Cook broccoli first. Add Velveeta™ & whipping cream.
Add corn starch to thicken. Enjoy!

Wow. Just wow. 

There's a recipe for Broccoli Cheddar soup in my Vitamix cookbook.   Long story short, the ingredients are shredded cheddar, milk, and broccoli.  

And now this post makes me crave it.  

5 hours ago, Kittikatz said:

@Londish - I just ccook the pasta and make a simple white sauce and grate up and melt whatever cheese I have on hand into the sauce. Toss with cooked noodles and done. If you feel fancy, pour Mac and cheese into a baking dish and top with more grated cheese and some breadcrumbs. Bake until golden brown and bubbling.

There is also a recipe I saw on Pinterest that involved cooking the pasta in milk and just tossing in a couple of handfuls of grated cheese at the end. I've never tried it that way, so not sure it would work...

budget bytes makes a version like this. i made it a few times in college. i'm not a huge fan of just cheddar, so I tried to add in some milder cheese to make it more suitable to my palate and it turned into a stringy mess. but it was still good.

http://www.budgetbytes.com/2012/06/miracle-mac-n-cheese/

budget bytes is my favorite recipe site ever. in fact, I just made the jambalaya she has on her website tonight. it's one of our favorite meals. as well as her chili mac, lasagna roll ups, and sriracha turkey balls.

so funny that this came up, because as i was making jambalaya i was thinking "the duggars could make this for so cheap"

I made dinner tonight using no fresh ingredients (enchilada casserole). After this thread, I felt oddly pleased with myself over it. Canned diced chilis, a can of cream of chicken soup, and sour cream and cheese. I guess the last two are sort of fresh. Frozen chicken. NOT CANNED.

I served it with fresh fruit, though, because scurvy seems bad.

I often put bacon or ham in my Mac n cheese (and sometimes endives in that). I have a recipe for Mac with corn. It is actually quite good even if it sounds weird. 

2 hours ago, OnceUponATime said:

I often put bacon or ham in my Mac n cheese (and sometimes endives in that). I have a recipe for Mac with corn. It is actually quite good even if it sounds weird. 

I often cook frozen peas in with the pasta, and top the mac and cheese with bacon....tastes good!

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived