IGNORED

Do they EVER cook from scratch? or garden?

samira_catlover

On 2/13/2016 at 0:28 AM, LittleSpouseOnThePrairie said:

We all know there are a lot of factors that influence how a kid does in school. Sometimes it's about your age and brain development. Sometimes it's about the situation at home or not getting enough to eat or enough sleep. Sometimes it's all about finding the right educator who brings you to that a-ha! moment. I'm a high school teacher so I can't really speak to early childhood education, but I can be honest with you about what I've seen. I wouldn't say there's a lot of bad teachers out there, but there are A LOT who make bad, lazy, selfish choices at their students' expense :my_cry:. The ones who would grind my gears are the ones who aren't willing to put in the energy to try to teach/explain things in more than one way, and some of them just really don't know how.

So, I may sound like a leghumper here, but I had a thought. Maybe Michelle recognizes that she sucks at it and that could be the reason she wasn't doing all the teaching and had Jessa and Tabitha take over.....

(Maybe. Or it could be what we were already thinking. Lazy.) :my_lightbulb:

In my evil heathen public school days, I had both good and bad teachers.  And some of the 'bad' ones weren't necessarily bad, but I was just not a good fit for them.  I LOVED my 2nd grade teacher and did very well in her class, but 3 years later my sister didn't do so well in her class.

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, somanybooks said:

As a public library employee I have to admit I'm really enjoying all the love for books and reading and libraries.  Many thanks to all of you for sharing your stories.:my_smile:

@Somany: You work in a library?  Well, then, you are one of the (Not So) Secret Masters of Information for the Whole Universe!

Books, magazines, and newspapers are your weapons....

...your cartridges are ideas....

........your enemy is ignorance.

Congratulations to you and your colleagues, to choose a work discipline that pays so poorly, compared to the education required, and no public honor given.

In your curating of collections, in your buying, in advising folk, in teaching them research and internet skills, showing them new ideas and views on the world----librarians are a critical backup for teachers and parents.

WARRIOR! I salute you!---and would be honored to shake your hand, if we ever met in real life.

I checked out a cookbook from the library because I am looking for some new meatless recipes for Lent and came across this gem

Spoiler

image.thumb.jpeg.d5dd75ab74e4509328698f5

2 hours ago, Chelio93 said:

I checked out a cookbook from the library because I am looking for some new meatless recipes for Lent and came across this gem

Hide contents

image.thumb.jpeg.d5dd75ab74e4509328698f5

Oh good lord, look at the list of cans in that recipe! And the things which normal people would use from a can (tomatoes) aren't tomatoes, they're "ro-tel", with canned flavoring added. 

Is hoop cheese velveeta?

22 hours ago, somanybooks said:

As a public library employee I have to admit I'm really enjoying all the love for books and reading and libraries.  Many thanks to all of you for sharing your stories.:my_smile:

Are you a Librarian, or the kind of librarian that doesn't know about the secret organization of evil Librarians and their plan to keep us from knowing the truth about the Free Kingdomers?

24 minutes ago, August said:

Oh good lord, look at the list of cans in that recipe! And the things which normal people would use from a can (tomatoes) aren't tomatoes, they're "ro-tel", with canned flavoring added. 

Is hoop cheese velveeta?

http://troyerscountrymarket.com/red-wax-hoop-cheddar-1lb.html

11 hours ago, samira_catlover said:

@Somany: You work in a library?  Well, then, you are one of the (Not So) Secret Masters of Information for the Whole Universe!

Books, magazines, and newspapers are your weapons....

...your cartridges are ideas....

........your enemy is ignorance.

Congratulations to you and your colleagues, to choose a work discipline that pays so poorly, compared to the education required, and no public honor given.

In your curating of collections, in your buying, in advising folk, in teaching them research and internet skills, showing them new ideas and views on the world----librarians are a critical backup for teachers and parents.

WARRIOR! I salute you!---and would be honored to shake your hand, if we ever met in real life.

Thanks for the kind words. It is a pretty terrific job about 95% of the time. And I have to give a big shout out to all my co-workers who are the best group of people anyone could ever hope to work with.

I do have good news for any of you who think you would like to work in a library but don't think you are qualified because you don't have a Master's degree in Library Science.  I don't have a Master's degree either.  I'm a Library Technical Assistant--fancy lingo for the library equivalent of a paralegal. Half the people who staff our public service desk (and probably the service desks at your library as well) are just like me. If you have a Bachelor's degree, love to read/are knowledgeable about books and authors and have some customer service experience and basic computer skills,  you're just as qualified as I was when I started 16 years ago.  Some community colleges offer LTA programs as well. If you're at all interested I encourage you to check into it.

On 2/15/2016 at 9:36 PM, somanybooks said:

Some of my favorite memories are going to the library with my dad at least once a week, and we would both check out a large stack of books. To say we were both voracious readers would be an understatement. The icing on the cake though, was once a month we would go to our central library downtown...talk about a religious experience! So many thousands of books and since we were "regulars" we often got to go to what they called the 'stacks' which were books that were old and pretty much forgotten about that were deep in the bowels of the library unavailable for most. It was a beautiful old building built in the early 1800's and I can still remember the smells of the building, the marble water fountains and the great old style elevator that you had to operate yourself..i.e. closing the outside door, then the inside bars and then operate the handle... ahh..good times...and don't get me started on the delightful smell of books themselves! :my_blush:

15 hours ago, August said:

Is hoop cheese velveeta?

Ro-Tel isn't actually that bad. It's just diced tomatoes, chilies, and some spices. I mainly use it in Tex-Mex recipes like this one, although, I have made Ro-Tel dip with evil Velveeta cheese from time to time.

3 hours ago, paulypepper said:

Some of my favorite memories are going to the library with my dad at least once a week, and we would both check out a large stack of books. To say we were both voracious readers would be an understatement. The icing on the cake though, was once a month we would go to our central library downtown...talk about a religious experience! So many thousands of books and since we were "regulars" we often got to go to what they called the 'stacks' which were books that were old and pretty much forgotten about that were deep in the bowels of the library unavailable for most. It was a beautiful old building built in the early 1800's and I can still remember the smells of the building, the marble water fountains and the great old style elevator that you had to operate yourself..i.e. closing the outside door, then the inside bars and then operate the handle... ahh..good times...and don't get me started on the delightful smell of books themselves! :my_blush:

Pauly P, you just took me back to my favorite library when I was a kid. I've got goosebumps! :)

On February 16, 2016 at 11:40 AM, somanybooks said:

I do have good news for any of you who think you would like to work in a library but don't think you are qualified because you don't have a Master's degree in Library Science.  I don't have a Master's degree either.  I'm a Library Technical Assistant--fancy lingo for the library equivalent of a paralegal. Half the people who staff our public service desk (and probably the service desks at your library as well) are just like me. If you have a Bachelor's degree, love to read/are knowledgeable about books and authors and have some customer service experience and basic computer skills,  you're just as qualified as I was when I started 16 years ago.  Some community colleges offer LTA programs as well. If you're at all interested I encourage you to check into it.

I would love to do that! I'm a retired journalist. How would I go about it? Don't want to hijack the thread so if you're inclined please PM me.

I always sucked, I mean really sucked, every time I tried a garden--until the last time. amazing what doing something with children will do. Used "Square foot gardening" and put in a small (4 x 4") raised bed. Didn't quite use his formula for soil but used a compost-vermiculite mixture from Home Depot and about half a ton of alpaca poop from a local farm via Freecycle. Put in plants--flowers, herbs and veggies--instead of seeds. After the initial setting up took very little time to water and weed, and the garden went nuts! We had almost total shade so didn't do tomatoes or peppers but got tons and tons of healthy leafy greens, herbs, pole beans, radishes (recommended for kids' gardens as they grow fast) and I forget what else. Didn't try squash as in our area people will pay you to take some of their zucchini.

On 2/14/2016 at 0:28 AM, PreciousPantsofDoom said:

Oh, that just takes me back to my Grade1-3 teacher (who I adored) .   She used the phonics method too.  The way she phrased the rule you described was, "When two vowels go walking, (ie are together) the first one does the talking. "   I can still picture the little poster she had on the wall of that!

Unfortunately, the phonics method has come in and out of fashion in education many times over the years.  It made sense to me as a child, and clearly to you as an adult, but some people do respond better to other methods.  Personally I think a combination of methods to suit the needs of the learner makes the most sense. 

I said that to my first grader last week.  He looked at me like I had a third head.  LMAO

On 2/14/2016 at 10:33 PM, samira_catlover said:

Mom and Dad couldn't understand why we hunkered under the Christmas tree, ignoring the other gifts, to read and read and read about space travel and dogs and the human body and colonial days---with neat overleafs, yet!)

Oh, the overleafs!  They were my favorite!  The one on the human body just fascinated me for hours.

On 2/17/2016 at 5:52 PM, patsymae said:

(snip)  Didn't try squash as in our area people will pay you to take some of their zucchini.(snip)

Who needs to pay money? Just wait till somebody is so careless as to leave their car or truck unlocked...or leave their land unprotected by "Do Not Trespass" signs.

A backseat of a vehicle can easily hold two bushels of extra zucchini; a front porch can hold three bushels.

Rehomers of extra produce, unite! (FWIW, we used to scare our neighbors with a doorbell ring, a sheepish grin, and a BIG honking bowl of strawberries. Rookie gardeners: 50 plants will give you WAYYYYY more than you ever expected, even if you don't spray or weed.)

On February 16, 2016 at 7:52 PM, August said:

Is hoop cheese velveeta?

Hoop cheese is one of the most wonderful things in the world.  Lol Velveeta is NOT hoop cheese. Though my mom would argue that it is better then regular cheddar cheese. I disagree with her though.

On 2/17/2016 at 2:52 PM, patsymae said:

I always sucked, I mean really sucked, every time I tried a garden--until the last time. amazing what doing something with children will do. Used "Square foot gardening" and put in a small (4 x 4") raised bed. Didn't quite use his formula for soil but used a compost-vermiculite mixture from Home Depot and about half a ton of alpaca poop from a local farm via Freecycle. Put in plants--flowers, herbs and veggies--instead of seeds. After the initial setting up took very little time to water and weed, and the garden went nuts! We had almost total shade so didn't do tomatoes or peppers but got tons and tons of healthy leafy greens, herbs, pole beans, radishes (recommended for kids' gardens as they grow fast) and I forget what else. Didn't try squash as in our area people will pay you to take some of their zucchini.

Oooh, cool! I've read you can substitute radishes for potatoes in stew, or even roast them. They are supposed to have the same texture as potatoes, and lose their sharp taste when cooked, and have very low carbs.

On February 24, 2016 at 1:34 AM, refugee said:

Oooh, cool! I've read you can substitute radishes for potatoes in stew, or even roast them. They are supposed to have the same texture as potatoes, and lose their sharp taste when cooked, and have very low carbs.

Yeah, we're used to them just in salads, but some cultures (Amish for one) used them cooked. Slice and maybe salt and sweat like you used to do with eggplant. 

I will have to try that. I don't like radishes because they taste too strong to me. And I remain unconvinced that carbs are a terrible enemy. Refined carbs yes, but whole grains and potatoes? Ehhhh. Moderation.

But I always like new things to try, so cooked radishes aren't a terrible idea.

I'm so going to try the radishes in stew idea.  I love beef stew and could substitute them for potatoes.

On 3/2/2016 at 11:56 PM, Trynn said:

I will have to try that. I don't like radishes because they taste too strong to me. And I remain unconvinced that carbs are a terrible enemy. Refined carbs yes, but whole grains and potatoes? Ehhhh. Moderation.

But I always like new things to try, so cooked radishes aren't a terrible idea.

Your body NEEDS carbs. I've never met a dietitian that says otherwise. Nutritionists? Sure. But there isn't any kind of schooling necessary to become a nutritionist, you just say you are one and suddenly you are (unlike dietitians who have to get a doctorate in nutrition).

• Boogalou locked this topic

Archived