IGNORED

Winter Storms 2016 Snowpocalypse et al

SpoonfulOSugar

Oh, forgot to say, my mother sat on a live bomb once.  She and my grandmother were out mushroom picking to supplement the crap diet they got in the DP camp.  My grandmother sees this moss covered log and decides to sit on it to take a break.  As she was sitting, this American comes running and screaming at her and she gets off the log.  No, not a log.  An unexploded bomb.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, AreteJo said:

@Grimalkin, borscht freezes well.  You can ladle it into small Ziploc bags for individual servings.  Get out as much air as you can before sealing and freeze the bags flat on their sides, so they take up minimal room in the freezer.0

Who needs a freezer? Just stick them outside and they'll be frozen by morning. :cold:

Here in Middle Tennessee I think we got about 3 inches. Most has melted off the streets. Im not quite the winters junkie I used to be. Maybe it's my age lol. But I do like it cold enough sometimes to eat vegetable/chicken noodle/tomato soup.
Anyhow, if you live in a rental/apartment make certain it is ok to use candles as some landlords don't allow them.

2 hours ago, Bethella said:

Who needs a freezer? Just stick them outside and they'll be frozen by morning. :cold:

One time several years ago I left a 12 pack out in my car while at work in the middle of winter.  I think it was one of those times when the high barely reached zero.  Came back out at the end of my shift to find a whole bunch of soda ice all over the back seat along with several exploded cans.

(Then back in 2013 someone put a pop can in the freezer to cool it down fast then forgot it was in there.  Then they didn't clean it up.  I finally got tired of looking at it and cleaned it up myself.  Since I was a supervisor then I sent a nastygram to everyone who worked in the area saying since no one else cleaned up the goddamn mess I cleaned it up myself and not to put pop cans in the freezer going forward).

Over two feet here...debating going sledding tomorrow, but I don't have anyone to go sledding with. Also I don't know how I'd get back up the driveway.

1 hour ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Oh shit I hope the cans of soda I left in my mom's car didn't explode everywhere...

This has happened more than once to me. It usually takes a bit of time to explode. I think your good.

Woke around noon, bright an no more snow.  Got 2 feet with five foot drifts.  WV here. 

Been beautiful and quiet since, except for da dawg, part Pyrenees who *needs* (in his soul) to be out, once an hour.

We got 20+ inches and of course the plow left a 4 ft wall in front of the driveway after we finished clearing it.  

12 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Over two feet here...debating going sledding tomorrow, but I don't have anyone to go sledding with. Also I don't know how I'd get back up the driveway.

Me too! I'm thinking of at least going for a walk, though I don't think I have boots tall enough. 

I don't actually even own a shovel, it's my landlord's job as part of our agreement. So I'm at his mercy. But I have tons of food, books, and a sewing project :)

12 hours ago, Catey said:

Meanwhile in Canada I can see the grass on my lawn.

I can't tell you why but I just know this is somehow Trumps fault.

Sentence #1:  down by Buffalo, we can't see grass, but the streets are clean

sentence #2:  I laughed out loud at this.  And of course, you're right.  I'd say send him to Antarctica, but that would be cruel to the penguins.

13 minutes ago, catlady said:

I'd say send him to Antarctica, but that would be cruel to the penguins.

He is the solution the Global warming!1!

Oh wait, forget it I forgot there is no global warming.

I have seen some pictures of the snow in New York. I hope it is not as bad as it looks. My brother moved there a week and a half ago, and started his new job last Monday. He was hoping to use his first weekend to go apartment hunting. Luckily, he bought a big warm jacket before he left. He knew snow could be an issue. But he was considering leaving it until he arrived. The jacket was so thick and bulky, it took it most of one of his suitcases and he was worrying about his weight allowance. He did leave getting snow boots or some kind of proper footwear, he felt he would find something more suitable when he arrived  and cheaper too. So I hope he already made that purchase. It is hard trying to get set up and settled in a new country enough without snow and nasty weather. I think my Mum is planning on doing a skype with him later to see how he is getting on.

It's beautiful here now, sun is shining, clear blue sky, perfect weather for digging out. :/  No official totals for my town but it's definitely over 2 feet. We're exhausted, pup is miserable because she's confined to the small area we could dig out of the drifts in the backyard. She's too small to make it over them. 

Happy communting tomorrow, peeps! Ive got a 45 minute drive that I'm not looking forward to. The Long Island railroad may not be running in time. That should be fun. NOT. 

Beautifully bright and sunny here.  To bed at three, and the moon on the breast of the new fallen snow was dazzling!  Drippy and blowing a bit.

Have had a big yaller end loader in the middle of my road for a half hour now.  Beau watching, but just asked to come back in.  I gather Elmer's putting chains on.  Joys of country living--you know the name of the guy who plows you out.

All eight Harry Potter movies arrived on Thursday, and I'm half way through for the second time.  Grilled cheese sammich on schedule for dinner.  Life is good. 

As my friend from Vermont pointed out about snow: even what you don't move will melt. . . .

As for Global Climate Change--of course it doesn't exist: my deep freeze works just fine.

14 minutes ago, zebra #13 said:

All eight Harry Potter movies arrived on Thursday, and I'm half way through for the second time.  Grilled cheese sammich on schedule for dinner.  Life is good. 

I'm coming to stay with you.

Our snow blower drives the doggie crazy, but he completely ignores the city's plows.  Mr. Spoon's opinions of the city plows and the drivers are not printable.

Glad everyone is starting to dig out, get moving, etc.

Hope things continue to improve!!

I live in a beach town and have taken advantage of the boardwalk these last few days (mainly to add to my new Instagram).  Yesterday I felt like one of those storm chasers you see on TV, today I saw a skier on the boardwalk.

Nice bright blue sky here in SoMD, and very little wind.  We didn't lose power (but have bottled water, a couple full coolers JIC, plus plenty of sterno). *knocks wood*  Paid a neighbor with a John Deere plow to tackle our 150-foot driveway; the car is cleared, ditto front sidewalk, and there are a LOT of hungry birds chowing down on sunflower seeds and nyjer thistle. Our local (rural) road is plowed down to asphalt, but the mailbox had a disagreement with the snowplow. (Guess who won?)  The neighbor with the plow said the local cats seem to be sheltering in his barn, and our immediate neighbor also has a shelter (plus our two straw bale expedient shelters). Life is pretty decent overall, but boy, am I GLAD we're plowed out.

I think we are an inch or two shy of 2 ft here.  Beautiful sunny day which got even better when my brother-in-law arrived to help me dig out.  Cost me a bowl of spaghetti with sausage and meatball, but well  worth his help.

The manicure I gave myself last night looks fetching.  Commute is bound to be slow tomorrow.

27 people died on the East Coast due to the storm.  Majority in car accidents and due to heart attacks while shoveling. :(

2 minutes ago, AreteJo said:

Beautiful sunny day which got even better when my brother-in-law arrived to help me dig out.  Cost me a bowl of spaghetti with sausage and meatball, but well  worth his help.

Cheezers - that's cheap . . . . 

My street isn't cleared yet, I hope that happens eventually...

23-24" here, though the backyard looks like it's more than that. 170 foot driveway...my parents want to hire someone with a plow (we did shovel a narrow path down the driveway. A useless path) but he can't get here until the street is cleared.

Actually there is one use for the path: it makes walking up the hill possible if I attempt to go sledding. But I think the snow is too deep for that and I'd just sink.

This is what it looked like in my backyard in northern NJ. For a little perspective, about 5 hours before the snow ended it was chest high to my Saint Bernards. We got just over 2 feet.

20160123_185209.jpg

20160123_171555.jpg

@Gossamer1, is there any better breed of dog, save maybe a Husky, to have during a snowstorm than a St Bernard?

Our icicles melted this afternoon, but not that much snow. School is cancelled again tomorrow for my granddaughters, but it doesn't take much for it to be cancelled. My dachshund finally realized that it won't kill her to run around in the backyard in the snow.  I think she may even have liked it. The Shih tzu was a bit more intrepid than she though.  She explored the garden yesterday and I had to rescue her. She lost her way.

Archived