IGNORED

Winter Storms 2016 Snowpocalypse et al

SpoonfulOSugar

20 hours ago, 19 cats and counting said:

Is it bad that I'm ready for the next one.

::ducks and runs:::::

I hate winter but love a good snowstorm. I'm on your side. I've still got books to read and a sewing project to finish. 

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update 1/29: we are down to ankle-deep snow, as opposed to just-below-the-knees. It's been pretty much above freezing, so slow melts and runoffs. Local roads are plowed and dry. My well is probably very happy with the replenishing.

And wonderful news!---Patches and Lancelot (neighboring cats) made it through the storms okay. This morning, our feral Not-Storm (aka: Little Black Cat) was sheltering in an expedient shelter by our front door, and meowed most sadly till I put out a can of wet food and refilled a water dish.  Little worried, though: she was seriously favoring her right front paw, and not sure if we will be able to catch her [without too much stress] for a vet checkup (or, frankly, where the money will come from, in case major care is needed).  

If anybody has spare energy, good wishes, a connection with a Deity (any flavor!), etc.---can you keep our poor feral baby in mind? Thanks!

What exactly is winter storm Jonas? I know that the National Weather Service refuses to name winter storms. Wisconsin is supposed to get plowed early next week with snow (soooo not excited, hoping that my professors have mercy on this poor commuter student...) with the potential for blizzard conditions. Is that Jonas?

Maybe this confusion is why the NWS doesn't want to name winter storms lol!

1 hour ago, sisterwives said:

What exactly is winter storm Jonas? I know that the National Weather Service refuses to name winter storms. Wisconsin is supposed to get plowed early next week with snow (soooo not excited, hoping that my professors have mercy on this poor commuter student...) with the potential for blizzard conditions. Is that Jonas?

Maybe this confusion is why the NWS doesn't want to name winter storms lol!

Jonas was the one that just blew through the East Coast and dumped a ton of snow from DC north. And I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that it was maybe the Weather Channel that started naming them so it was easier for people to keep them straight. That way everyone knew which storm was being discussed. But I'm not positive. 

19 hours ago, samira_catlover said:

If anybody has spare energy, good wishes, a connection with a Deity (any flavor!), etc.---can you keep our poor feral baby in mind? Thanks!

How is the girl today?

Sending good vibes your way.  We are lucky not to have feral cats now, but growing up they were a part of the neighborhood (long story) and my mother spent a lot of time caring for and about them.  I know how hard it is to work with a cranky wild beastie.  I hope she's healing.

4 hours ago, bashfulpixie said:

Jonas was the one that just blew through the East Coast and dumped a ton of snow from DC north. And I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that it was maybe the Weather Channel that started naming them so it was easier for people to keep them straight. That way everyone knew which storm was being discussed. But I'm not positive. 

Yep, it was The Weather Channel that came up with these inane names and the NWS doesn't recognize them for the reason stated.  There are usually a limited number of named tropical storms and hurricanes in a season.  We have different lists of names for the Atlantic, Indian and eastern and western Pacific Oceans, as well.  There are just too many winter storms in the US to justify naming them.

ETA: Really notable winter storms would tend to get their own names like the Blizzard of '88 and the Schoolhouse Storm.

7 hours ago, SpoonfulOSugar said:

How is the girl today?

Sending good vibes your way.  We are lucky not to have feral cats now, but growing up they were a part of the neighborhood (long story) and my mother spent a lot of time caring for and about them.  I know how hard it is to work with a cranky wild beastie.  I hope she's healing.

Thanks for asking! She was spotted scarfing up a can of wet food (we tend to feed wet in really bad weather---more calories, and the smell travels farther). Went out to scoop out the rest of the can and add a bit of dry; she moved maybe 3-4 feet away. This is a NICE bit of progress, because six months ago she'd back off 10-12 feet and meow most sadly till we went back inside.

Still favoring the foot. We're going to keep feeding and watching and hoping Not-Storm will be more trustful fast. If we try and catch her and miss...with four acres of land, mostly woods, it'll be almost impossible to get a second chance.

Sounds like the midwest is going to be getting in on the fun too with Winter Storm Kayla.

weather.com/weather/alerts/localalerts/l/52003:4:US?phenomena=WS&significance=A&areaid=IAZ042&office=KDVN&etn=0001

* TIMING... TUESDAY MORNING THROUGH TUESDAY NIGHT.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS... SNOWFALL TOTALS OF 6 TO 8 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE WITH HEAVIEST SNOWFALL RATES LIKELY TUESDAY MORNING.

* WIND... EAST TO NORTHEAST 15 TO 25 MPH TUESDAY... BECOMING NORTHWEST WITH GUSTS OVER 30 MPH POSSIBLE TUESDAY NIGHT.

* IMPACTS... HEAVY SNOW... FOLLOWED BY BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW MAY LEAD TO HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS.

My brother and sister in law sure picked a good time to go on a cruise.

Looks like severe weather for the South. Winter in the South is like a roller coaster.

• 2 weeks later...

Weather Channel has named winter storm MARS . . . which has contributed to not only the bus accident in Connecticut, but also to this disaster:

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/NJ-Cruise-Ship-That-Left-Rocked-by-Stormy-Seas-Coast-Guard-Florida-368008441.html

The graphics (photos and video) are must see . . . unless you are prone to motion sickness.

We're supposed to get 4 to 6 inches overnight here.

Anyone in the Boston area fixin' to get slammed?!

6 minutes ago, SpoonfulOSugar said:

Bumping this - Weather Channel has named winter storm MARS . . . which has contributed to a bus accident in Connecticut, but also to this disaster:

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/NJ-Cruise-Ship-That-Left-Rocked-by-Stormy-Seas-Coast-Guard-Florida-368008441.html

The graphics (photos and video) are must see . . . unless you are prone to motion sickness.

We're supposed to get 4 to 6 inches overnight here.

Anyone in the Boston area fixin' to get slammed?!

We here are fixin' to get hit but not too too hard.  they did just downgrade things a bit (if I have been reading correctly).  We are expected to get 5 to 9 inches within a relatively short timeframe, so that puts us in the storm warning category.  We had very little snow on the ground before this storm started, so it really seems like no big deal to me after last year.  I just can't even try to describe last year.  Comparatively, 9 inches over the course of a day falling on a basically bare ground seems like beach weather. :D

Stay safe and warm everyone!

We have already had more than 50 inches of snow... it snowed yesterday, again... and guess what?  Another 3 - 5" for tomorrow night.

Although I bitch about the snow, I will take it everyday over the Arctic Shit that gets down to -30. 

Go on and snow, it's gonna be spring one of these days.

And I am now the whitest, palest person on the planet.  Just sayin.  I had no idea one could get so pale.  And dry.  Ok, let's edit that to me realizing I am the palest, dryest person on the planet.

We got about an inch this morning.  It started snowing around 9 and ended sometime around 11:30. It didn't stick to the roads and I was still able to drive to Columbia and back.

We expect more wintry precipitation on Monday.  I hope it's snow.  I fucking hate freezing rain!

We got some more winter fun coming our way;

Bottom line is;

• It's going to be pretty G-D cold over the next few days.  Wind chills are going to be -25 to -30 tonight.
  • Anywhere from 1 to 6 inches of snow.  KWWL is saying 3 to 6 inches of snow.  KCRG, Weather Underground, and AccuWeather are all saying 2 to 4 inches.  Weather.com is saying 1 to 3.

Linkage
kwwl.com/story/31153534/2016/02/05/tracking-cold-temperatures-and-a-few-snow-chances
weather.com/weather/5day/l/52003:4:US 
kcrg.com/weather/
accuweather.com/en/us/dubuque-ia/52001/weekend-weather/328800
wunderground.com/us/ia/dubuque/zmw:52001.1.99999

Hopefully it'll be like the last time and the heavy stuff will stay away from where I am.

I am directing a Shakespeare play for a high school.  It was supposed to run the last weekend in January, but got postponed due to school closures the weekend of January 25.  It was rescheduled for tomorrow and Tuesday.  Now school is cancelled tomorrow due to threat of freezing rain all day.  Looks like Tuesday will be our only performance.

On 2/13/2016 at 0:55 AM, Caribou said:

Our forecast is predicting -48C with windchill tonight.....

*frantically sends over BIG pots of hot tea and Majorly Warming Lentil-Veggie soup, and hopes it is not too late*

Keep your hands, feet, and head warm, OK? And consider relocating to a more reasonable climate?

YICCCHHH. It's Feb. 15, and there's a good three inches of Awful Snow on our front lawn---and more coming down..

The first can of WetCatFood somehow got all eaten up, so can number 2 is out. Thank goodness the expedient kitty/whatever shelter got reinforced with more straw.

Can somebody with major weather magic PLEASE send El Nino to the eastern US, please?

We only got 5+ inches last night, it's really a miracle school closed.  Luckily, it's going to melt off today.  I feel badly even mentioning it here amongst all your weather woes, but we just do not get much snow here.

My parents got a glaze of ice yesterday, and my dad predicted school would be closed today.

I razzed him plenty.

We are expecting 4 to 6 inches in a short time span tomorrow morning, followed by some potential rain.

Four to six inches is NOTHING, but the freezing rain - I hate the freezing rain. :(

Oh, and as far as I can tell, we only got to 9 below last night.  This is one time I'm glad the forecasters overreached. 

12 hours ago, samira_catlover said:

*frantically sends over BIG pots of hot tea and Majorly Warming Lentil-Veggie soup, and hopes it is not too late*

Keep your hands, feet, and head warm, OK? And consider relocating to a more reasonable climate?

Thanks for the offer of supplies but we only hit -45C (-49F) so all was well. We made do with a pot of homemade chicken soup, a couple of bottles of Cabernet and a roaring fire. It's positively balmy today at -15C, the sun is shining, not a cloud in the sky. People are snowshoeing and kite skiing on the lake in front of our house and my husband even did his long run outside instead of on the treadmill. I spent a good hour outside cleaning up the driveway and walkways and trying to identify all the animal tracks in our yard. A glorious northern day! 

(Although I am still looking forward to going to our home in south Florida in a couple of weeks! The heat will be welcome!)

Archived