IGNORED

Palins in the News - MERGED

clarinetpower

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, closetcagebaby said:

One thing I don't think most people realize is that the culture of Alaska, and especially a smaller town like Wasilla, is much different than the lower 48. If you talk to most Alaskans, something like this would definitely be accepted and believable. Even I grew up hearing stories of Sarah and Todd snorting coke off oil drums after snow machining and Bristol having to get carried out of parties from being so wasted. You'd think in a small town it would be harder to hide a baby or a pregnancy, but well, the Palins had power there and it was only necessary to shut a few people up. Plus the underground rumor mill there isn't too well connected; it's not as if CNN is trolling Wasilla for the next big story...

I don't know, it's not like Wasilla is just some hillbilly town full of gullible, witless right-wingers. And I think it's surprising how many Alaskans look down on the Palins. I can't remember quite what she told me, but one of my friends says Sarah was trashy-ish even in high school. 

9 hours ago, Babycakes said:

I don't know, it's not like Wasilla is just some hillbilly town full of gullible, witless right-wingers. And I think it's surprising how many Alaskans look down on the Palins. I can't remember quite what she told me, but one of my friends says Sarah was trashy-ish even in high school. 

Sarah Palin strikes me as a real Peaked In High School type.

On 1/9/2016 at 9:38 PM, Rachel333 said:

I agree, and it bothers me that people are so quick to assume that it was Bristol who did everything wrong. I mean, doesn't the fact alone that Dakota was ready to join the Palin family show poor judgment? :pb_razz:

For me, it's less Bristol and more her whole family. If it was the son having all this drama related to children I'd be loving that too. I don't see her having two children by two different guys as interesting on its own or bad or anything. She's a bit hypocritical to preach abstinence works, then have all these unplanned pregnancies, but that just makes her a hypocrite, nothing more.

I am super tired of hearing how this guy is a "war hero" and that is used as some kind of shorthand to mean he's some fantastic guy who got snared by her. I'm sure "war heroes" can be fantastic guys and shitty guys, but their war heroiness has nothing to do with which they are.

4 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Same here and really it seems in her mind she never left high school.  She's  is operating her life and her kid's lives as if she's still there.

3 minutes ago, twinmama said:

I am super tired of hearing how this guy is a "war hero" and that is used as some kind of shorthand to mean he's some fantastic guy who got snared by her. I'm sure "war heroes" can be fantastic guys and shitty guys, but their war heroiness has nothing to do with which they are.

I am tired of it too.  Being a "war hero" tells me nothing about this guy, whether he's decent or not.   I can't figure out for the life of me why he, or any guy for that matter, would want to join the Palin family given how they treated Bristol's first baby daddy.  I can see them really turning on the charm in the short run though, it seems that is what happened here. 

Personally, I hope for Dakota's sake that he's not the father.  Frankly, I can't imagine any guy wanting to have to deal with that family, fighting them every step of the way until the kid is 18 because it seems the Palins will throw every possible obstacle they can at this guy if he is indeed the father.  

9 hours ago, Babycakes said:

We went on an Alaskan cruise and took my inlaws with us in 2011.  We did a private chartered whale watching trip in Juneau and my in laws asked out guide/captain about her.  He was not a fan.  He said that the kids were barely supervised, all of them drank underage and too much, etc.

i got the feel the guy was conservative, but even the similarities in politics wasn't enough to like the Palin family.

I'm just so glad that she and her crazy family are in my rear view mirror.  Can you imagine if she had been VP for 8 years and running for POTUS now?  Gah!  It would be so enraging.  Thankfully I can just sit back and smirk at all the gossip coming out.

8 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Except for the whole Governor of Alaska and first female republican vice presidential nominee thing, you mean ;) 

8 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said: Sarah Palin strikes me as a real Peaked In High School type.

Except for the whole Governor of Alaska and first female republican vice presidential nominee thing, you mean [emoji6] 

Let's see... As mayor of small-town Wasilla, she hired a city manager to do her job for her and still left the city in a pile of debt, despite claiming to be a fiscal conservative. As governor, she was elected because she claimed to be different (and she was anyone but a Murkowski). Once in office, her husband attended meetings with her and was copied on emails. At one point, members of the legislature wore buttons that said 'Where's Sarah?' After a short while, she moved back to Wasilla and did business out of an Anchorage office, charging the state a per diem to live in her own home rather than living in the Governor's mansion in Juneau (I'd be interested to find out whether it was during the time working out of the Anchorage office that Trig was gestating?- my guess would be yes) as well as dragging her children along to events and charging the state for their airfare (Bristol went with her to NYC and went to a taping of an MTV show on one such trip).

She also only served half of her term as governor, which ended with a large number of ethics complaints against her. Her supporters claim she couldn't do her job effectively due to these complaints and the burden of the cost on the state, but the most expensive of these (which she was found guilty of- the finding came out during the campaign and she claimed she'd been cleared of all wrongdoing) was filed by Palin herself. It had to do with her firing the Public Safety Commissioner because he wouldn't fire her ex-brother-in-law, who was a State Trooper. I'd say she's still stuck in high school, at least mentally and emotionally, based on her propensity to attack in retaliation for the tiniest perceived slight (her comments in the press about her grandchildrens' fathers being perfect examples of this). I don't know if her track record is anything to be exactly proud of- many of the GOP have blamed the situation in the party right now on her. I would certainly imagine that those who support Trump were Palin supporters- she certainly made it acceptable to use 'dog whistle' terms during that campaign. There were times where similar comments were made at rallies with McCain and Palin where he cut the attendees off, while she just grinned.

As for the first female VP nom , there have been several comments made regarding the reason for choosing her (McCain's first choice not being available, her being forced on him, her being chosen for her looks), and the difficulty the campaign had with getting her to cooperate (including attaining basic common knowledge, which she didn't have).

On January 7, 2016 at 2:54 PM, PennySycamore said:

Brixton getting pregnant so quickly after Trigg was born is pretty damn quick but women have gone to their 6-week post part checkup pregnant.  Teen moms are less likely to breastfeed and breastfeeding does usually delay the return of fertility somewhat.  It's unlikely that Bristol got pregnant so quickly after giving birth to Trigg  -if she, in fact, did- but maybe not absolutely impossible.

I have more than one set of siblings in my family that are 10 months apart.  Definitely not impossible.

@Emkay dont get me wrong, I'm no fan of Sarah Palin. But whatever the reason for her success, she still was. If she had " peaked in high school" we wouldn't know her name. 

I don't doubt there are many hidden things in the Palin family. However, I don't think they'd be so sloppy to include evidence of their secrets in an Instagram. Honestly, I think Sailor was born when they say she was. I have no idea what her paternity may be, or whether she's Bristol's second or third child. All of that said, I would not be surprised about anything that came out.

3 hours ago, Anonymousguest said:

@Emkay dont get me wrong, I'm no fan of Sarah Palin. But whatever the reason for her success, she still was. If she had " peaked in high school" we wouldn't know her name. 

Not the op, but I see where your coming from and I just wanted to jump in and say that I don't really consider Palin to be all that successful.  She's well known, definitely, but that doesn't necessarily mean she's successful.  In fact, doesn't she basically fail/ruin/destroy just about everything she attempts?  

5 hours ago, Anonymousguest said:

Notoriety and success are very different things. She has enough drive to make a name for herself, I'll give her that, but she's essentially made a name for herself by being pretty and petty. Like @Emkay said, her tactics for getting to the top are less Claire Underwood and more dollar-store Regina George. Sure, she's not spending all day guzzling cheap wine and bemoaning the end of her glory days like most Peaked in High School Types, but her mind has never left high school.

On 7.1.2016 at 8:35 PM, anjulibai said:

I also doubt Bristol would have gotten pregnant again that quickly after having a baby. Even uber fertile mertles like Michelle Duggar and Kellie Bates never got pregnant that quickly.

I don't have a horse in the race either way, but I have to say it is definitely possible to get pregnant this soon after giving birth. The reason why neither Michelle Duggar nor Kelly Bates have kids this closely spaced is likely Gothard's weird rule about not having sex for 40/80 days after birth. While the fact that it is different for boys and girls is ridiculous, this rule has probably spared us another couple of Bates/Duggar offspring, so I'm choosing to be thankful for that much. :kitty-wink:

Irish twins are a thing. They aren't very common anymore because most people use some kind of contraceptives, and because ob/gyns recommend not having sex for 6 weeks or so after giving birth, and not to get pregnant too soon, etc. But if you're not using birth control because you're being abstinent* and you're probably not listening to doctor's orders, it's very possible to have two kids within ten months. Erika Shupe, for example, has several sets of Irish twins, including two kids who are ten-and-a-half months apart in age.

*Except when you're having sex.

12 hours ago, Emkay said:

As for the first female VP nom , there have been several comments made regarding the reason for choosing her (McCain's first choice not being available, her being forced on him, her being chosen for her looks), and the difficulty the campaign had with getting her to cooperate (including attaining basic common knowledge, which she didn't have).

And hoping to capitalize on Hillary voters who were disappointed about Obama's nomination. Because we all know women vote with their vaginas, intelligence and party affiliation be damned.

Is that what the last 8 years have been? They're trying to punish our vaginas for not voting for them? That's not how it works y'all...:my_confused:

I am new to this rabbit hole. Very interesting. I would like to say something about SP's supposed love of the military. It is all for show. My son (trying to not to say things I am not allowed to) is in the military and works with bombs. At one point, he was clearing buildings for any of the big politicians including Obama before they had an appearance. He has worked for Palin and he said she was the rudest of any he has met. She would not even look their way as she walked by. Most will thank them, hand shake or what ever, but she would not even admit to the fact they were standing there. These are the people who are guarding her life. So her "love" of the war hero is for good press only and I hope it backfires on her. I hope it is proved that he is not the father of Bristol's baby and is in the clear so to speak since she is so quick to bad mouth the fathers of her grandchildren.

On January 6, 2016 at 9:08 PM, Emkay said:

can't figure out how to get this go away...

4 minutes ago, Valerie3kids said:

I am new to this rabbit hole. Very interesting. I would like to say something about SP's supposed love of the military. It is all for show. My son (trying to not to say things I am not allowed to) is in the military and works with bombs. At one point, he was clearing buildings for any of the big politicians including Obama before they had an appearance. He has worked for Palin and he said she was the rudest of any he has met. She would not even look their way as she walked by. Most will thank them, hand shake or what ever, but she would not even admit to the fact they were standing there. These are the people who are guarding her life. So her "love" of the war hero is for good press only and I hope it backfires on her. I hope it is proved that he is not the father of Bristol's baby and is in the clear so to speak since she is so quick to bad mouth the fathers of her grandchildren.

That's really interesting.  We have friends (also military) who have worked in close proximity to several major political figures.  They speak very highly of the current president.  Apparently he is genuinely nice and very appreciative.  

I've never heard anything "nice" about the Palin clan...

I have a really hard time believing people who are so adamantly pro-war when they say they love soldiers. If they really loved them so much, they'd have more difficulty sending them to die. 

3 hours ago, Rubaiyat said:

can't figure out how to get this go away...

That's really interesting.  We have friends (also military) who have worked in close proximity to several major political figures.  They speak very highly of the current president.  Apparently he is genuinely nice and very appreciative.  

I've never heard anything "nice" about the Palin clan...

I have also been told the same thing. He is always very appreciative. Shakes hands. Takes his time to thank them for their service. I wouldn't say it is something they expect, as my son is pretty back scenes but it is greatly appreciated. He said if he had a choice he would not pull another trip for Palin. They fly them in from all the country to do this job and he said he would rather stay home if it involved her. Unfortunately, they do not know who it involves until they get there.

I have always found that to be odd as she made such a major deal about her son being shipped to Iraq when she was running for VP. My son was already there at the time. But, her actions seem to lead you to think she has no use for the military.

On 1/9/2016 at 3:46 PM, Marissap said:

The scariest thing to me about this family is that this woman was *this close* to being the Vice President of the United States. It just shows what poor poor checking into her they actually did. 

This thread made me re-watch "Game Change" to remind myself of that whole comedy of errors...

I remember, though, watching her announcement as candidate and thinking that choosing a woman was brilliant, particularly since she was such a good speaker (ha!). She certainly could perform, if it was all written down for her. Think, schmink - just give me my line!

22 hours ago, AbandonAllHope said:

In fact, doesn't she basically fail/ruin/destroy just about everything she attempts?  

Well, that and quit it ;-)

Archived