IGNORED

Happy Birthday Sarah Maxwell!

Palimpsest

58 minutes ago, HerNameIsBuffy said:

I know this whole women are less sexual than men thing isn't limited to fundies, but in regards to them how to they reconcile the logic fail?

Per fundies our bodies are gifts from God - we're created in His image.  God doesn't make mistakes...yes, there are illnesses and injury etc, but the actual design of the human body is wholly from God per their belief system. 

So if women are less sexual and our interests in the area lie in catching a baby, relieving the headship, and cuddling then why did God give us the only organ in the human body with no function except for sexual pleasure?  

Plenty of erogenous zones of both sexes, but they all serve multiple functions...we got the only one where the only job is pleasure and orgasm.  

If we're supposed to use what God gave us in a general sense it would just seem ungrateful to ignore the gift of sexual pleasure...,and women shouldn't be ungrateful. :)

Do you think the SOTDT covers education on the clitoris? Nothing I've read from Lori, Ken or Cabinetman, much less the Maxwells would suggest that a woman's sex drive is of any concern. In fact, may fundies believe that a woman having a say over her sex life/sex drive is inherently anti-God (and part of the Evil Feminist Conspiracy to Emasculate Men).  

Remember Terri (not Maxwell) who commented on the Betrothal Blog by Vaugh what'sisname?  She said 

Terri A year ago 

I don't think that Sophie really does have (or that she should have) choices. I think the Bible shows us that a woman does not have the authority over her own sexuality. Her father is the guardian of it until she marries, and he decides to whom and when she will be given in marriage. Once she is married the authority and control over her sexuality passes to her husband. While there is no single passage of Scripture where this is explained and set forth, it is revealed all throughout the Scriptures.   and later . . . .

In the case of betrothal, we not only see that it is implied as the natural and normal way of doing things, we also see that God, in his law, gives remedies to fathers and husbands when other men, or even the daughter/wife herself decide to exercise their sexuality outside their authority. We see a law wherein a man who suspects his wife of being adulterous can have the priest test her for it. If she is guilty, either by admission or by failing the test, she ends up dead. There is no such test for husbands. A husband's sexuality is not under the control or authority of his wife. He has a duty to her sexually, but it is not exclusive to her. God calls this "just". Is that cultural?
But the real convincer for me came after I became reformed. When I came to understand that the grace of God is irresistible to me. The father chose me for Christ and neither Christ nor I have any choice in the matter. God, Himself, uses betrothal for His Son. And then He created the institution of marriage as a picture of the marriage of Christ and His bride. Every aspect of the marriage, including the betrothal is pictured in how men take wives. The way we do this speaks the gospel. When we ignore betrothal we lie. We are hiding the gospel. When Christians let women choose or not choose their husbands we are using a picture of marriage that lies about the gospel. 

My answer of course, is yes, it is cultural.... and given what I've seen this woman write, I am very glad not to be her daughter. 

So, yeah, I think a lot of fundies of various stripes give zero consideration to the idea of a woman's interest in sex.  Steve may or may not want more grandsons, but not as much in those not named Maxwell.....

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, DrPusey said:

How I would love to think that Sarah is on the cusp of grabbing some happiness for herself! But we've been down this road before, guys. Wasn't there a conference post in the recent past (I want to say right after Joseph's wedding, maybe) with Sarah posed prettily in front of a church and a scripture verse hinting at good things to come? And my heart leapt, and I thought Stevehovah was really hinting at something. And then the reply to somebody's comment on the blog indicated that la la la, it was just meant to convey the impression that good things always might be around the corner?  :pb_rollseyes:

Yes, and I was convinced Jon-Marie was in the picture to court Sarah, even though he was a bit younger.

We might very well be having this same conversation 5 years from now, and nothing at all has changed with Sarah.

2 hours ago, kpmom said:

Yes, and I was convinced Jon-Marie was in the picture to court Sarah, even though he was a bit younger.

We might very well be having this same conversation 5 years from now, and nothing at all has changed with Sarah.

Luckily he escaped! Though didn't he have a fundie sister who  Stevie might have in mind for Superman-John or the Jessie.

3 hours ago, salex said:

Do you think the SOTDT covers education on the clitoris? Nothing I've read from Lori, Ken or Cabinetman, much less the Maxwells would suggest that a woman's sex drive is of any concern. In fact, may fundies believe that a woman having a say over her sex life/sex drive is inherently anti-God (and part of the Evil Feminist Conspiracy to Emasculate Men).  

Remember Terri (not Maxwell) who commented on the Betrothal Blog by Vaugh what'sisname?  She said 

My answer of course, is yes, it is cultural.... and given what I've seen this woman write, I am very glad not to be her daughter. 

So, yeah, I think a lot of fundies of various stripes give zero consideration to the idea of a woman's interest in sex.  Steve may or may not want more grandsons, but not as much in those not named Maxwell.....

I guess they never read 1 Corinthians 7

3 Let the husband render to his wife the affection due her, and likewise also the wife to her husband. 4 The wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does. And likewise the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does.

Looks like it cuts both ways!

8 But I say to the unmarried and to the widows: It is good for them if they remain even as I am; 9 but if they cannot exercise self-control, let them marry. For it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

Welp, so much for woman lacking a sex drive.

Here's another good one:

39 A wife is bound by law as long as her husband lives; but if her husband dies, she is at liberty to be married to whom she wishes, only in the Lord. 

Yep, it really does say that.  Nothing about her closest male relative getting to decide :P

Fundie matchmaking could be an interesting thread. I bet some people on Free Jinger know enough to make some good matches. It would be fun.  

On the other hand I think the push to get women married is sad. It's like a woman's self worth is tied into wether or not she married and married a man of equal worth or higher. Like in the old days when women couldn't inherent or work, so they had to marry well in order to live well. Let the girls be single forever if that is what happens. Their worth is not based on a good marriage or children. She can adopt a child/children at any age if she wants to be a mother. Plus 30s is not old. Many woman a waiting to marry/have children in their late 30s and 40s.    

6 hours ago, anjulibai said:

He only wants ones with the last name of Maxwell. 

But the woman  can keep her name in marriage. Kids can have hypenated last names

17 minutes ago, Toothfairy said:

But the woman  can keep her name in marriage. Kids can have hypenated last names

It wouldn't be the same to Steve.

25 minutes ago, Toothfairy said:

In Maxhell? Surely you jest. 

1 hour ago, Toothfairy said:

A child can also have his/her mother's last name.  But that will never happen in the Maxwell clan.

3 hours ago, GreenTea said:

Fundie matchmaking could be an interesting thread. I bet some people on Free Jinger know enough to make some good matches. It would be fun.  

On the other hand I think the push to get women married is sad. It's like a woman's self worth is tied into wether or not she married and married a man of equal worth or higher. Like in the old days when women couldn't inherent or work, so they had to marry well in order to live well. Let the girls be single forever if that is what happens. Their worth is not based on a good marriage or children. She can adopt a child/children at any age if she wants to be a mother. Plus 30s is not old. Many woman a waiting to marry/have children in their late 30s and 40s.    

Matchmaking threads are fun! I can't remember the last time FJ had one. We weren't very good, lol. FJ thought Joseph Duggar and Deanna Coglan would make a good couple! 

Sarah and an older Arndt manchild...I suspect the Arndt are too worldy, yet the isolation/safe at home doctrines are similar.  Both are religious (although I cannot pretend to know enough to compare their respective beliefs). But can you imagine the epic head explosions of  Steve vs. Rick over controlling the couple? 

37 minutes ago, Chicken bones said:

Sarah and an older Arndt manchild...I suspect the Arndt are too worldy, yet the isolation/safe at home doctrines are similar.  Both are religious (although I cannot pretend to know enough to compare their respective beliefs). But can you imagine the epic head explosions of  Steve vs. Rick over controlling the couple? 

Steve would eat Rick for breakfast, but as he was digesting him Cathy the Momzilla would crush both Steve and Teri without mussing her braid and have the boys bury them both in right field.

Sarah with an Arndt guy?  With their sports, and normal clothing, pie, and fun?  Might as well set her up with Eminem as there'd be little lifestyle difference to her.

seriously someone who was raised to believe buttons in a constructing color is far too enticing cannot have a mother in law rocking short shorts and frosted lip gloss - the dissonance would kill her.

thoguht there was an unmarried fundies thread in QFOS?  

4 hours ago, Toothfairy said:

Yes, I know that. I kept my last name and my son has a hyphenated name. 

But as others have said, that would just no fly in Maxhell. That's not how fundies work. 

Steve is obsessed with his family. It comes out with how often the use their own name in their marketing. If you are not a Maxwell, you are just not as important. Probably the only reason that Teri's parents have been allowed to be so close to the family is that they served Steve's purposes by properly kowtowing to him. 

A child born to his daughters would not be a Maxwell, and would not be under Steve's authority. That's what Steve wants - more and more people directly under his authority. 

45 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

Yes, I know that. I kept my last name and my son has a hyphenated name. 

But as others have said, that would just no fly in Maxhell. That's not how fundies work. 

Steve is obsessed with his family. It comes out with how often the use their own name in their marketing. If you are not a Maxwell, you are just not as important. Probably the only reason that Teri's parents have been allowed to be so close to the family is that they served Steve's purposes by properly kowtowing to him. 

A child born to his daughters would not be a Maxwell, and would not be under Steve's authority. That's what Steve wants - more and more people directly under his authority. 

That's the craziest thing though - Steve himself isn't even a "real" Maxwell, wasn't that his stepdad's last name? 

10 hours ago, bean said:

That's the craziest thing though - Steve himself isn't even a "real" Maxwell, wasn't that his stepdad's last name? 

Yup. It's bizarre. 

I'd really love to see a full psychological work-up on Steve. It'd be fascinating. 

Terrifying. But fascinating. 

1 minute ago, anjulibai said:

Yup. It's bizarre. 

I'd really love to see a full psychological work-up on Steve. It'd be fascinating. 

Terrifying. But fascinating. 

I would love to see psychological work-up on him also. He is such an ass that I wonder if the psychologist would make it through the whole session. 

11 hours ago, bean said:

Maybe that's why he's so obsessed with this. Voldemort wasn't a pure-blood, but was obsessed with pure-blood supremacy. He overlooked the fact that he had a Muggle father, and played up his pureblood side. 

I know Steve isn't even half a Maxwell by blood, but for all intents and purposes he is a Maxwell. He wants to augment the Maxwell numbers and not let anyone go.

Ok, I'm starting to see that this analogy isn't the greatest. I hope it vaguely makes sense... Voldy pretended to be pureblood and was accepted. Steve felt accepted as a Maxwell and so didn't want to let that go.

The Maxwells DO believe in double barrelled names.  "Anna Marie" is a case in point. ;)

They just need to find a fundie patriarch who is willing to be re-named by Steve, and THEN Sarah can marry. 

A question :  When did Steve change his name?  Was he still living with his mom or was it later?  Before or after he married?  Did he already have kids?

I just think it is odd that he and the Pennington father changed last names.  

Makes me wonder what they were trying to escape, especially if/when they did it as adults. 

36 minutes ago, salex said:

A question :  When did Steve change his name?  Was he still living with his mom or was it later?  Before or after he married?  Did he already have kids?

I just think it is odd that he and the Pennington father changed last names.  

Makes me wonder what they were trying to escape, especially if/when they did it as adults. 

I think Steve's mom divorced and remarried when Steve was still fairly young. Not super sure though.

19 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

I think Steve's mom divorced and remarried when Steve was still fairly young. Not super sure though.

Steve was a teenager when his parent's divorced. Apparently his dad had an affair and/or ran off with his friend's wife.

There is a thread about all this that I will try to find.  When Steve's mother died, the obituary led to a rabbit trail of information, and Steve's story about his parents did not really add up.

ETA: Here: 

Worth a read.

6 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

Maybe that's why he's so obsessed with this. Voldemort wasn't a pure-blood, but was obsessed with pure-blood supremacy. He overlooked the fact that he had a Muggle father, and played up his pureblood side. 

I know Steve isn't even half a Maxwell by blood, but for all intents and purposes he is a Maxwell. He wants to augment the Maxwell numbers and not let anyone go.

Ok, I'm starting to see that this analogy isn't the greatest. I hope it vaguely makes sense... Voldy pretended to be pureblood and was accepted. Steve felt accepted as a Maxwell and so didn't want to let that go.

Cue Steve being horrified at this comparison, if he even understands it.  Assuming he dares read such evil words :P

Archived