IGNORED

2016 Resolvers: Fitness Support

FundieFarmer

I got all inspired yesterday simply by having a couple of FJ fitbit friends now who might be seeing what I accomplish (or don't).  I had my 4th highest number of daily steps since I started using the Fitbit back in September (10,720), AND I ate about 200 calories less than my goal (which is itself about 750 calories under what I burn).

Today, however, is another story -- I ended up meeting a friend for lunch and then we regrouped at my house and just sat and chatted for several hours.  I did shovel some snow after my friend left, but I'll be lucky to end the day with 5000 steps, which should be my absolute daily minimum, but so far I'm still having some days that are less.  I would like to average 10k steps, meaning that I can still have some 5k days but I would also have as many 15k days.

Another downside is that my foot with the neuroma (that got surgically removed last summer but I'm still in pain and we're not sure why) was really bothering me on my walk through town yesterday.  I put the metatarsal pads in my snow boots and it helped a lot, but not enough to make the walk comfortable.  Interim Solution:  I need to wear real, lace-up walking/running shoes when I'm out walking.  I hate lace-up shoes horribly, but I think it's the only way to get any exercise without this stupid foot hurting.  I do have two brand-new pairs of good shoes that I just need to set up with the metatarsal pads, and possibly replace the insoles with ones that I custom cut for my foot oddities.  Even with the snow on the ground, it's not so much that I can't walk with regular shoes.  I own gaiters that I can use if needed.  I just need to stop being lazy about wearing slip-on or pull-on shoes when I'm doing serious walking.

And the long-term solution is to figure out why my foot still hurts, if another neuroma has formed or the last one didn't heal right or what, and get it taken care of so that I can walk more than a mile without pain.  Argh!

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got some Nordic walking poles (specifically Swedish BungyPumps) for Christmas and have been using them on most of my walks.  I did wonder though if I were using them correctly and so just now watched a bunch of videos about how to use them.  Nope, not using them correctly.  I think that using them the right way will be easier.  I need to adjust them for size tomorrow.

Okey dokey artichokie - y'all have gotten off to a 4 page start in about a week!  I have some health issues going on that are - health issues that impact my weight and diet and ability to move.  Without a ton of detail, I have a medical team working with me and am tracking everything out the wazoo.  I took a planned break for the christmas holiday, but am back at it today.  I am unsure what to set as a goal, as - nevermind.  Basically, I am unsure what all I want to share on the interwebs, but I have abandoned sparkpeople for MFP and friended a bunch of all y'all.  I have also started carrying both of my hand me down fit bits and have friended y'all on one account.  

My health goes up and down, so that is just a thing.  I am always a good cheerleader!

6 minutes ago, Whoosh said:

Okey dokey artichokie - y'all have gotten off to a 4 page start in about a week!  I have some health issues going on that are - health issues that impact my weight and diet and ability to move.  Without a ton of detail, I have a medical team working with me and am tracking everything out the wazoo.  I took a planned break for the christmas holiday, but am back at it today.  I am unsure what to set as a goal, as - nevermind.  Basically, I am unsure what all I want to share on the interwebs, but I have abandoned sparkpeople for MFP and friended a bunch of all y'all.  I have also started carrying both of my hand me down fit bits and have friended y'all on one account.  

My health goes up and down, so that is just a thing.  I am always a good cheerleader!

If you friend me on Fitbit, I'll invite you to our challenge. My profile is up thread. I'd link it again but I'm not home. 

Edit: never mind. You already had. Sent you an invite 

18 minutes ago, Destiny said:

If you friend me on Fitbit, I'll invite you to our challenge. My profile is up thread. I'd link it again but I'm not home. 

Edit: never mind. You already had. Sent you an invite 

WOOT!

Just now, Destiny said: Sent you a request. Would you like an invite to the challenge as well?

To quote @FundieFarmer... YAASSSS.

Omg I'm quotable.

YAAASSS!

I lost 10kg a year ago, felt great (could have lost another 10, but it's all relative). My liver readings Improved heaps.  Due to stress and my inability to not eat chocolate I put it all back on.  My liver readings have now gone back up so dr says I've got to lose that 10kg again and keep it off.  I don't have a fit bit but there's an app on my iPhone which counts steps.  I'm trying to do 10000 a day, including a half hour brisk walk.  And limit my chocolate intake.  One kg down, 9 to go :)

sigh.  I plugged the fitbit in to charge and...forgot it.  

Oh no!

Karma, most major apps will sync with the Fitbit app if you wanna look into that and possibly join our challenges. Good luck!

I put on the wrong bra this morning... I keep my fitbit clipped to the center gore so I don't have to think about it, which only works when I remember to move it to the right bra :pb_lol: I'll catch up with you punks, though, just you wait!

ETA: My mom, who I'm friends with on Fitbit, just sent me a message asking why I'm suddenly "withaj" -- she only recognized me because my avatar is one of our dogs :pb_lol: never mind, mom, it's a long story...

On January 9, 2016 at 10:24 PM, church_of_dog said:

I just went to the Fitbit help page and it seems that it's true, Mac users can't see challenges.  :cry:

They're considering adding that ability.  Oh well.

Thank you for posting this.  It would be nice if fitbit would realize that some Mac users are just using them grudgingly as they are hand-me-down castoffs from the nephew ;)  Somehow, I doubt the care...

I will be keeping an extra eye on you Mac users (from my couch today :D )

ETA - I will charge my phone and join the challenge that way.

1 hour ago, Destiny said:

Oh no!

Karma, most major apps will sync with the Fitbit app if you wanna look into that and possibly join our challenges. Good luck!

You have to have a fitbit to join the challenge. It keeps asking me to set up a new tracker. I was hoping it had a counter in the app or something. 

2 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

You have to have a fitbit to join the challenge. It keeps asking me to set up a new tracker. I was hoping it had a counter in the app or something. 

The FACT is that our phones are smart enough to do all of this and the whole market is just a scam (exception - people who make the conscious choice to want a smaller device)

Just now, Whoosh said:

The FACT is that our phones are smart enough to do all of this and the whole market is just a scam (exception - people who make the conscious choice to want a smaller device)

I never take my phone with me when I'm running or walking really. I did have it with me on vacation and ever since then it sends me "helpful" reminders to move more. I started to tell it to shut up and just enjoy it's home on my desk. Seriously.

4 minutes ago, Maggie Mae said:

I never take my phone with me when I'm running or walking really. I did have it with me on vacation and ever since then it sends me "helpful" reminders to move more. I started to tell it to shut up and just enjoy it's home on my desk. Seriously.

Yeah - i my statement is really about people who don't set time aside to exercise.  And fitbit thrives off that market.  But, honestly, these are the people that most benefit from electronics encouraging us (shaming us) into moving more.  I am all for it, but I question the market ;)

ETA  - I know all types of people use fitness trackers.  I know.

So, @Maggie Mae to try to actually make sense - i was a beta tester for a device (zeo) that required you to wear a headband and it would then "monitor" your sleep.  It was a start-up that arose from a local university.  They have folded because a smart phone "monitors" the exact same thing - and you don't have to strap your phone to your head.

I think the reason that fitbit is winning the wearable entry level tracking market is a couple of things: timing, ease of use, cost and the social aspect. Pebble came out about the same time and it's not doing so well. Garmin has the vivofit which does the same thing as fitbit, but it's not as stylish. Garmin Connect also isn't as easy and friendly to use as a website and most of their products do a lot more than fitbit (until fitbit introduced the Surge). 

I love fitbit. I like their customer service, the social aspect, the styling of the product. I just don't need it. Which makes me sad. :( 

You people are putting me to shame. I'm going to jump on the bandwagon and provide my Fitbit/MyFitnessPal profiles, but not until Thursday (busy all day today and tomorrow). Hopefully this will light a fire under my ass.

3 hours ago, Maggie Mae said:

Before I got my Fitbit, I used my phone's health app to track steps (S health on a galaxy).  Then as I was walking (no pockets), I dropped the phone and shattered the screen (I haven't fixed it yet but got the $$ for xmas to do so, just haven't gotten around to it yet).  I'm glad I wear something on my wrist and I can leave my phone for a short walk.

I do have an app (Plant Nanny) that bugs me to drink water throughout the day.  It is annoying, but also a good reminder because so often it's mid afternoon and the only thing I've had is coffee.

Just now, 19 cats and counting said:

Before I got my Fitbit, I used my phone's health app to track steps (S health on a galaxy).  Then as I was walking (no pockets), I dropped the phone and shattered the screen (I haven't fixed it yet but got the $$ for xmas to do so, just haven't gotten around to it yet).  I'm glad I wear something on my wrist and I can leave my phone for a short walk.

I do have an app (Plant Nanny) that bugs me to drink water throughout the day.  It is annoying, but also a good reminder because so often it's mid afternoon and the only thing I've had is coffee.

We have the same phone and the same apps! (Except I have the edge. But close enough!) I really like Plant Nanny, even if I "cheat." 

I've broken too many phone by dropping them. After I shattered my S4 Active (supposed to be extra tough) on a bike ride, I stopped using them for tracking. It's so nice to not have to worry about how to carry a (huge) phone, too. 

• FundieFarmer locked this topic
  • choralcrusader8613 unpinned this topic

Archived