IGNORED

2016 Resolvers: Fitness Support

FundieFarmer

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, keen23 said:

Oh we are totally doing a workweek step challenge next week!

I'm in.

I may re-join Weight Watchers and really stick to the program this time.  I did WW the first time in the early Aughts  and lost about 50 pounds, started running and was training for a marathon when I hit a bump in the road. (I'll spare you guys the details.) Anyway I ended up re-gaining the weight after a hysterectomy.  I did re-lose about 30 pounds when I went back on WW a few years ago, but I only lost about 30 pounds.  I stalled after that.  To be honest, I wish I could find my old cardboard Points slide and use the old program as it worked better for me.  The online program (Points Plus) did not work nearly as well and was a colossal PITA.  (There was a time about 2 years ago when the site was down for a couple of weeks and no one could log in.)  They have a revised program and I might try that.  Or I might try something else.  What I do not want to do is to ever be so rigid about my eating again.  I did not eat peanut butter for years because it was too high in Points.

As for fitness, I'll keep walking and try to amp up my distance some.  Our neighborhood is weird and you can only walk or run a fairly short distance without repeating.  When I ran, I'd repeat the distance and not think about it.  There are also some bad hills which are easier to run up than to walk up.  If I can overcome my mild foot drop, I'll start running again.  My Swedish walking poles seem to help that.

2 minutes ago, keen23 said:

@PennySycamore take a look at MyFitnessPal. It's got the online tracking of foods, but real calorie based, not point based. I like it more than WW Points Plus.

I'll do that.  WW Points Plus sucked, IMO.

I don't like resolutions.  Although purposing to since it is only purposing....

I am not setting a specific weight goal.  I will confess that I have had issues in the past with compulsive eating so I'm sensitive to things that trigger it and diets tend to.  I've done weight watchers many times in the past (and reached goal/lifetime) but I'm done giving them money)    I no longer weigh myself (unless I'm at the doctor).  My goal is to eat a healthy balanced diet that will lead to reasonable weight loss but more importantly size reduction.  I need to move more.  No changes will go into firm place until we are on the other side of our annual year end audit (so likely Jan 19 or so).  

I have put the fitbit back on in an effort to begin mentally gearing up for more movement etc.  

I'm in! I need to lose 30-40 pounds of TTC/baby weight... I have no idea what my new body should look like or how breastfeeding will affect me. So far I've lost nothing in 10 weeks from my coming-home weight, so I am obviously NOT one of those people for whom breastfeeding is some magical weight loss tool :(

Keeping up milk supply is paramount, especially as I start back to work and pump more, so I am not restricting calories but just want to exercise more (run 7 miles/week, get to yoga once, practice at home more frequently) and cut empty calories (what - ice cream isn't a food group when you aren't pregnant anymore?!?). I already don't eat meat and plan to go back to cutting out dairy (my hemorrhoid thanks me already) as well. And keep up with MFP for some accountability.

Whew - that sounds like a lot but I know it all works - MFP + veganish + running helped me lose 40 pounds a few years ago. Good luck to everyone else! Hope we can all check in at the end of March and have made some progress (fingers crossed I'm 15 pounds down by then!)!

I'll join in!   I could use te extra support!

GOAL:  lose around 10 lbs

MOTIVATION: feel better about myself and have more energy. Do better in my workouts. 

HOW IM DOING IT: I have a pretty solid workout schedule now. I do boot camp m/w, spinning Tuesday, sometimes spinning Friday and if not then 1-2 days of running. I'm going to start training for a half marathon again in March. My primary issue is eating. I binge a lot and sometimes am uncontrollable. I am working more on being in tune with my feeling/emotions and understanding why I want to eat. It's hard!  And then there's times where I just want to eat ALL THE FOOD!

I'm tempted to register for the Lincoln Tunnel 5K in April.  Running thru the tunnel is on my bucket list.  My eating problem is stress.  I've got long term stress from things that aren't going to go away with time and aromatherapy and when it gets bad, I get the appetite of Godzilla.

OK, I'm in. Between fertility treatments, pregnancy, and PPD I'm up about 45 pounds. My kid is two, so time to get serious.

GOAL: 25 lbs by 6/1

MOTIVATION: to feel better in clothing and have the energy to ski and hike.

I have been using my fitbit and Fitness Pal for the past several months to get into the habit, now my goals are to stick to the calorie alotment and hit 10,000 steps at least 5 days a week. I would be all about a fitbit group.

My Fitness Pal (I think) http://www.myfitnesspal.com/profile/meob9876

I'm in!!!

Goal: Drop 20 lbs by the end of the summer... so around August 31. (I have more to go, but I'll want a short break to maintain)
My reasons for motivation: I hate my body currently, it all goes straight to my stomach and I feel like I look pregnant. Plus it isn't healthy and I'm already pre-diabetic
How I'm gonna do it: Workout.. running, elliptical, some weights. basically burn about 2000 cals a week. I will log all my food in Sparkpeople.com (I prefer it over MFP. ANd eat within my calorie range. Starting this Saturday (1/9) I will do the Whole 30 for a month as a jump start.
What I've already done:  Started on Monday, stayed within my calorie range yesterday and monday, went to the gym on Monday night as well. continuing on. Logged all my food in for both days as well.  (I can't figure out how to unbold this....)

Thanks for starting this, FF!

I was in pretty good shape until last spring, when I fell off the workout bandwagon almost entirely. I want to get some cardio back and rebuild my strength.

Goals for January-March 2016: Walk/bike/jog a minimum of 4 days per week. Complete 1 set of 20 pushups. Squat 95# for 5 reps.

How I'm going to do it: Follow the Reddit bodyweight sub recommended workout including weights for lower body. https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/kb/recommended_routine

I'll start this after a 2 week ease-into-it routine.

What I've done so far: laid around being sick. Once this cough subsides, I can start walking more.

I just got a notification to update my fitbit synch thingy, y'all.  It is literally like the FSM just laid it upon my laptop to tell me to purpose to publicly state my plan and start posting...:super special:

On January 4, 2016 at 0:45 PM, Destiny said:

It should have logged them as two separate sleeps. As far as I know, there is no way to combine sleeps, but you could delete the short one, then edit the long one to start at the proper time. https://www.fitbit.com/sleep should let you see all the sleeps in a period, and edit them.

You have to jump through some hoops to get minute by minute data. http://quantifiedself.com/2014/09/download-minute-fitbit-data/ explains the process, but imho, it's too much work for too little gain. Your mileage my vary.

You can manually log workouts by pressing and holding the button on your tracker to start and stop. I'm not sure if there is a requirement for how long it has to be, because I don't use the functionality. I just let the device notice that I'm doing something, which it's actually pretty good about. Same with sleep. You can start and stop a sleep by pressing the button, but I don't think it's going to achieve your goal, as minute by minute information is not available without jumping through the hoops.

Honestly, most of the things MFP does, fitbit does too, and you can connect them. I have my fitbit and MFP connected, because the food logging in Fitbit leaves a lot of things to be desired. I track activity via Fitbit, and food via MFP, and the two sync the data back and forth.

Thank you @Destiny and @halcionne.  I appreciate the answers and the links -- I need to investigate further because what my dashboard and detailed data is showing me does not match what you are saying.  I know there is a whole fitbit help forum and I will take some of my questions there -- for all I know something is actually malfunctioning.

I also appreciate knowing that I can do with fitbit what most of you are doing with MFP -- I just really really really don't want to join another 'thing'.  I'm even very reluctant to get into the groups/support within fitbit -- not sure why, just not sure I want to engage in that whole social media "friend me" kind of interaction.  I'll think about it some more and then probably go ahead and start adding y'all as fitbit friends.  I guess it can't hurt and if I start and then change my mind hopefully no one will be upset if I remove all my friends and go private.

I agree about fitbit not tracking food well -- what is with all the brand names and restaurant names?  But I eat a limited variety of stuff and I can probably just make custom foods for my usuals.

I'm definitely excited about the overall fitness support thread here.

What I've Done: Went to yoga three times this week. Last night was a fundamentals class, and my hips are killing me today! Today is a rest day, as Kid 1's soccer practice ends in the middle of the only class time available today. I'll maybe walk laps of the park, if it stops raining (they practice in the rain, as long as there's no lightening). Tracked all of my food since Monday. Stayed within calorie limits each day. Plan on weighing in on Friday.

Okay putting the fitbit back on is beginning to have its desired results.  while not full on exercising yet, I am moving more.  I noticed last night when I got home from work that I was close to my really low daily step count goal and got moving a home a bit until I hit said goal.  It's not much but it is something.  

Went to a "mom" exercise class last night. Expected to hate it but it was actually really nice to have everyone be sort of in the same boat re: breastfeeding issues, working mom stuff, etc. I think I'll stick with this one for a while, even if the weight doesn't "melt off" (seriously - fuck you very much whoever said that about breastfeeding).

Did my first gym workout today after meeting with the trainer.  10 minutes eliptical, 20 minutes of jogging/walking on treadmill, and 2 sets of 12 reps on the arm machines and ab machine. I cannot do floor crunches without a lot of pain, so I'm loving this machine. I'm down 2 lbs from last week, and I am going to try to shed my phobia about group classes (I had a rather embarrasing Zumba experiance 5 years ago) and try a body sculping class on Monday.

Ok so my first flip/flop report (flip: success, flop: fails!):

How I've flipped this week: Made it to both Orangetheory workouts AND gave my best effort! I also took two power walks around the neighborhood this week (four total workouts!) and have a yoga flow class tomorrow. Five workouts in one week? Ha! I'm kicking my own ass! I also can't really make it up the stairs easily but I'm pretty proud of myself anyway!

How I've flopped this week: It's like I'm pretending the diet aspect doesn't actually exist/isn't important, so I've YOLO'd my way around the kitchen (hello, orgasmic donut munchkins) and completely ignored that I'm supposed to upload my food to MFP/take vitamins. I also completely didn't meal plan anything

One off-the-wall goal: Since I didn't follow through with meal planning, I'm challenging myself to make all of my meals on Sunday so I can grab-n-go through the week! 

What I plan to do next week: Keep it up with the workouts, but start making way better decisions with food...even if it's just one thing here or there. What does that mean? Plan ahead and complete my OTW goal. 

It's still Friday, and my weeks go from Monday through Sunday, so I'm going to hold off on posting my week accomplishments until Sunday evening/Monday Morning. However, I want to say that I have accomplished one of my goals for the week - I haven't yelled at any resolutioners. (Not that I would. Although I WAS close with the teenangers making out in front of the lockers/coat racks one day.)  

OK, I don't really get how the whole friends thing works on fitbit, but I'm ready to check it out.

I am https://www.fitbit.com/user/3R9RW8.

Someone tell me how to send friend requests to others?

Go Team!

OK, I don't really get how the whole friends thing works on fitbit, but I'm ready to check it out.

I am https://www.fitbit.com/user/3R9RW8.

Someone tell me how to send friend requests to others?

Go Team!

I sent you a friend request. Everyone else, I started a workweek challenge. If I missed anyone, please feel free to invite em.

ohmygosh I need this thread...but I will be out of contact next week (family vacation on a cruise!), and I'm sure I'll need it that much more when it's over!

Goal: idealist goal - lose ~70 lbs that my post-college "my tapeworm just died!" body has packed on. realist goal - lose ~30 lbs that seemed to come after a 2014 health scare.
My reasons for motivation: as others have said, I want to feel better about my body (clothed or not). I also have some really cute clothes that I haven't even bothered to unpack in years because, well, I'm almost double the person I used to be.
How I'm gonna do it: I tend to do surprisingly well with rule-based diets, like "I can have anything on X list for breakfast, Y list for lunch, and Z list for dinner". Last year I got a few new-to-me diet books (one being Dr. Phil's 20/20 diet lol), so I know I just need to pick one and start it. I also need to start doing something active every day...Husband's work schedule is changing again once we're back home, so he'll be leaving 1.5 hours before I need to - if I can get myself up when he says goodbye, that could be workout time!
What I've already done: Thought about it :my_angel: I've also mentioned it to my officemate, and to my mother...and now to FJ!

10 minutes ago, Destiny said: I sent you a friend request. Everyone else, I started a workweek challenge. If I missed anyone, please feel free to invite em.

Destiny, How do I find the challenge on the site? I'm https://www.fitbit.com/user/3JKZF9  thanks

I have to invite you. I'll do so now. :)

• FundieFarmer locked this topic
  • choralcrusader8613 unpinned this topic

Archived