IGNORED

Large Rally planned in Short Creek (Colorado City) to fight FLDS corruption tonight

Several of my husband's brothers live and work in the Colorado city area and tonight there is suppose to be a big rally to protest the recent (very obvious) corruption in policing/politics/land rights. It is suppose to have all the communities out there coming together, Hildale, Colorado city, cane Beds and all faiths, not just FLDS, but the many non FLDS that live out there (like my BIL's) and AUB.

There is suppose to be some real news coverage. Colorado city is landlocked so far from the county seat, I hope that the AZ government will finally step in and end this craziness. The area IMO could really grow, having a state college, cheap housing and cheap cost to do business. It could be a real fresh start for many if the few corrupt still left could leave. It will be interesting to watch it unfold tonight.

http://www.stgeorgeutah.com/news/archive/2015/10/24/ccj-short-creek-residents-organize-public-rally-against-flds-corruption/#.VivdYWBq3ug

There is a facebook link on the bottom of the article that has local FLDS and non- FLDS already discussing the issues.

I am very interested in this, but live in Asia, and would very much appreciate any updates you can give. The pain in that community is almost unimaginable.

Which county is Colorado City in? Coconino, Kaibab? Arizona seems to mostly see them as Utah's problem. I know the USFS has had problems with them in Az (my dad used to be FS) but that was all child labor stuff with firewood collection. As far as I know Az has never gotten involved much.

Which county is Colorado City in? Coconino, Kaibab? Arizona seems to mostly see them as Utah's problem. I know the USFS has had problems with them in Az (my dad used to be FS) but that was all child labor stuff with firewood collection. As far as I know Az has never gotten involved much.

If I remember correctly, that's sort of why they've been able to get away with everything as long as they have. Neither state really wants to claim the responsibility of dealing with them, legally speaking. I'm glad this rally happened. It's so important for people, especially residents of the area, to make a stand against this kind of thing.

Colorado City is the Arizona side, according to Google maps.  

I remember opening a copy of the San Antonio Express News and reading about FLDS establishing a compound near Eldorado, TX.  I was passingly familiar with the El Dorado area because we'd been to a mountain bike race in the area two or three times. 

Initially, ditizens of Eldorado were somewhat panicked that the FLDS would register to vote en masse and take over city and county government.  This didn't happen -- the Yearning for Zion people kept to themselves, but it was a well founded fear early one. 

Coconino and Kaibab counties are both in Az. I could look it up I suppose, not that it matters much. I knew it was the beginning of the end for Warren when they moved to Texas. Ut and Az have a tradition of not messing with them. Tx has no such tradition. I hoped they'd find a way in. Now it remains to be seen if Az and Ut will take the example. I hope so. I have no issue with polygamy among consenting adults, but that's not what goes on in Short Creek. 

From the Lake Powell paper on line: 

About 65 residents of Hildale, Utah, and Colorado City, Arizona, (known collectively as Short Creek) turned out for a peaceful rally for change Saturday night, an event that would have been unheard of not long ago.

Ron Rohbock summed up the group’s sentiment in two short sentences:

“We need to make this a normal town.  They need to stop being abusive.”

The “they” he referred to are the leaders of the United Effort Plan, a trust that owns all the property and controls the governments of the two communities.

At the rally, signs were brandished with the questions, “Do you trust the police?” and “Where are our children?”  The chant, “Free our town,” was heard.

Passing vehicles honked in support of the demonstration.

Organizer Terrill Musser promised the outpouring is only beginning.

“This is just the start,” Musser said.

• 4 weeks later...

Sheesh. I can't believe I'm asking this question but...if a non-FLDS calls the police in that area, do the FLDS come?

I'm not really sure what the makeup of the area is, so I have tons of questions.

If I remember correctly, this is an artifact of that infamous "Short Creek raid" in the 1950s where the Arizona authorities did step in and remove a ton of the kids, and got very bad publicity for doing so. The reticence to forcefully step in now--at least on the Az. side--stems from that shitstorm, I think.

Archived