IGNORED

Erika Shupe *fake smile* Large Families on Purpose Part 2

DaffyDill

Anyone see the recent pictures of Bob? Looks like she just let him out of the doghouse, on a leash. Omg, he looks brow-beaten.

Weirdly enough, even more so than usual. He always looks like he's just been released off his blanket. I often wonder if she makes Bob have towel time with his computer. 

• Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Erika:

We believe that parents educating children is best but if you have to put your child in a public school and want to make it a Christian public school, do your research and recognize that if you want homeschooling type results in your children, your job as a parent will much more difficult with your children attending a public/Christian school.

I am totally confused.  What on earth does she mean "if you want to make it a Christian public school"?  

Also, this fan girl :pb_eek: 

If they need socializing, take them door to door soul winning!

Door to door soul winning...fun times!  

Soul winning? :pray: please tell me that's an FJer snarking! That person can't be serious! RIGHT?! 

HAHA soul winning! These fundies really know how to party. That sounds like a maxwell lol.

I think in the school post she separated her thoughts weird. I think she meant "if you're considering public school" in general or "a Christian public school." 

Does kind of sound like she's suggesting take over your local public school and turn it Christian hehehe 

It boggles my mind how much the issues of public school and abortions occupy fundies. 

Our very own Zsu-Zsu left this comment:

Kids don't have to go to school to evangelize. They can go door to door with their parents, talk to kids in public such as at parks, etc. If you send them to public school, you have a 90% chance that they will be out of church by the time they are 20. Not worth it!

I would love to know where she got that stat... 

If you have to isolate your children from other people so that they stay in your religion...Maybe it's the religion that isn't right and not the other people. :my_confused:

That whole thread is a shit show. I didn't see it all until this morning but I wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft pole. I do admit that I'm delighted to see a bit of even-keeled pushback against St. Erika's oh-so-perfect interpretation of scripture. 

Wow! That thread is HOT! Ms. Chala, while I'm not sure I agree with everything she said, I appreciate her words! She's right, why not believe in your kids and empower them? If these parents are so godly and they know so much, why don't they have confidence in their instruction of their kids? It sounds like they need to keep them "safe" at home because they aren't teaching them well enough to keep their standards when they're among children with different backgrounds and beliefs. 

And those verses are definitely out of context, but you can't tell those ladies. Who knew so many different people were God's mouthpiece? Amazing. 

And I'm still laughing at "soul winning!" In all my years growing up in church, I've never heard that term! It's RIDICULOUS! I just can't take it seriously! :pb_lol:

It's true, total shit show! :pb_eek: 

I'll continue to watch it go down... :popcorn2:

I'm just going to leave this right here:

My kids were actually put into a christian school (baptist) for three years. It was worse than public school. I could give you lots of examples...but its no replacement for God's way.

God doesnt want that school teacher teaching in a school...he wants her bearing children and guiding her OWN home...not ours.

Bold is mine 

:pb_eek:

I think by "Christian public school" she must mean a private school. They probably consider those public as well because anyone can go (if they can pay the tuition and get in). 

Or maybe they don't and Erika is just piss poor at communicating. It could really go either way.

I think by "Christian public school" she must mean a private school. They probably consider those public as well because anyone can go (if they can pay the tuition and get in). 

Or maybe they don't and Erika is just piss poor at communicating. It could really go either way.

That's the hardest part about parsing fundie arguments -- what exactly are they trying to communicate?  SOTDRT (and their teachers!) for the win, yet again.  

Oh, hey everyone!  Open "enrolement" is coming soon for insurance plans, so you can consider signing up for Scamarian!  

Somehow I doubt talk-to-text didn't know how to spell "enrollment." 

Oh, hey everyone!  Open "enrolement" is coming soon for insurance plans, so you can consider signing up for Scamarian!  

Somehow I doubt talk-to-text didn't know how to spell "enrollment." 

Hahaha! She's a horrible mother, speller and a liar! Erika, you know lying is a sin, right? :pantsonfire:

I was excited to use this emoji! 

Hahaha! She's a horrible mother, speller and a liar! Erika, you know lying is a sin, right? :pantsonfire:

I was excited to use this emoji! 

I oscillate between thinking Erika is an intelligent master manipulator, and thinking that she's not the sharpest tool in the shed. I mean, she obviously lies about things to make herself and her family look better (for example this, along with Bob's "joking" about Halloween). At the same time, she doesn't think to herself, "Hmm, since I told people I use voice dictation perhaps I should be a little more mindful of my spelling."

The story about sending kids to public school is interesting. Why would she link to a story that essentially says it's okay not to homeschool? Could she be setting public groundwork for sending her own kids off to -gasp- government school? Softening up her followers so they won't be completely shocked if she stops homeschooling? After all, her good friends Wendy and Chris Jeub have sent many of their kids off to public school, so maybe it isn't all bad? I'm curious to know what's going on inside her little brain. It seems like such an odd story for her, of all people, to link.

Agree that Bob looks defeated. He's an asshole, though, so big deal. :pb_rollseyes:

edited to delete an unnecessary word.

The story about sending kids to public school is interesting. Why would she link to a story that essentially says it's okay not to homeschool? Could she be setting public groundwork for sending her own kids off to -gasp- government school? Softening up her followers so they won't be completely shocked if she stops homeschooling? After all, her good friends Wendy and Chris Jeub have sent many of their kids off to public school, so maybe it isn't all bad? I'm curious to know what's going on inside her little brain. It seems like such an odd story for her, of all people, to link.

Agree that Bob looks defeated. He's an asshole, though, so big deal. :pb_rollseyes:

edited to delete an unnecessary word.

You know, I actually skimmed the article just not (hadn't done that before- only looked at the comments) and I too am surprised she posted it. In the past -the recent past, I should add- she has defended homeschooling tooth and nail stating that it was a Biblical imperative to do so.

Now that all of her children are school-aged, I wonder if she's becoming overwhelmed. She's liked the "special needs homeschooling" though who knows if she liked it just to be supportive, or if she's having to deal with that herself. Knowing Erika, she probably wouldn't ever admit to having her kids go to public school even if she had to.  Erika's responses in the thread are shockingly mild and not quite filled with the same judgmental venom as normal. Hmm... now I'm intrigued. :my_huh: 

I would love to know where she got that stat...

she's a proud graduate of ken alexander's school of statistical analysis, dontcha know ;)

Holy Shit!  Poor Chala.  She really tried to come at them with sound Biblical evidence but all she got back was just more out of context scripture.  I'm sure a few of them are seething at "You are too angry for your heart to hear the word"  OUCH!

I joined this place more or less because of Erika. I found her blog for different reasons and I have more or less read everything she has posted. She is... I don't know, special? The *smile* and *beam* thing is so annoying it is not funny. I must say that I am probably nicer than most to her though. While I think she has control issues and I fear for the sanity of her children I don't think she is a horrible person, just a person who does not know how to handle life so I think she is more sad than anything else. I think she would be pretty normal had she sought help for these issues but she hasn't and will most likely not so her children are trapped which is of course even more horrible. 

If I pray for anything it is for the children to get some little drop of freedom. The article on facebook about public school is interesting, I think her kids would love going to school but I assume it is too much to hope for. 

I have lurked on the Duggar threads for some time, and came over to see what was going on with some other threads.  All I can say is.... how did I not know about this sooner????   This is so disturbingly riveting... :popcorn2:

I have lurked on the Duggar threads for some time, and came over to see what was going on with some other threads.  All I can say is.... how did I not know about this sooner????   This is so disturbingly riveting... :popcorn2:

Erika has replaced JRod as my favorite fundie, and that's a tough one to beat!

Erika has replaced JRod as my favorite fundie, and that's a tough one to beat!

Now I am wondering what else I am missing! I am almost afraid to look because I (sadly) can't spend 24 hours a day on this site.  But I just found the Jill Rodrigues thread.  There are no words...

Holy Shit!  Poor Chala.  She really tried to come at them with sound Biblical evidence but all she got back was just more out of context scripture.  I'm sure a few of them are seething at "You are too angry for your heart to hear the word"  OUCH!

I can't believe that woman was dogpiled like that! She was very sensible. 

I can't believe that woman was dogpiled like that! She was very sensible. 

Maybe I'm going out on a limb, but I think there are a few reasons why they were so combative with her.  She is a woman with master's degree in divinity. Not only has she tarnished herself by exposing herself to the evil world of higher education, she is a woman trying to assert herself in a situation that they(fundies) feel should be lead by men. I can imagine that many fundies will be hostile towards a woman who has been formally educated in religion because they might see her as trying to usurp/speak over a man about religious matters, and (according to a literal interpretation of Paul's exhortations in Corinthians [I think]) that is a serious no-no. Its seriously sad and frustrating to see them dogpile someone like that. 

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived