IGNORED

Erika Shupe *fake smile* Large Families on Purpose Part 2

DaffyDill

Somebody with a Facebook they're comfortable using should post this screenshot along with the quote from that article she posted, "What does it do to our relationships with other mothers when we assert that there is only one God-approved way to deal with all aspects of parenting?"

Screen Shot 2015-11-09 at 5.05.15 PM.png

WHY the actual fuck do people follow this bitch?!?!?!?! I just CANNOT today... wow just wow

• Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That makes sense. It just puts so much pressure on the kids to be "perfect."

I think that's why fundie women are always bragging about their cooking (which stinks BTW) and their organic-ness. It is one of the few areas they control, and they concentrate really hard on it.  

While there is certainly a subset of crunchier organic/holistic fundie women, most that I've seen, especially Gothardites, feed their families a lot of processed crap. It amazes me that all those SAHDs don't cook from scratch - plus feeding mega families convenience and pre packaged foods must cost a fortune.

While there is certainly a subset of crunchier organic/holistic fundie women, most that I've seen, especially Gothardites, feed their families a lot of processed crap. It amazes me that all those SAHDs don't cook from scratch - plus feeding mega families convenience and pre packaged foods must cost a fortune.

Exactly. If their entire K-12 education is Homemaking 101, then why are these fundie SAHDs such awful cooks? You'd think that after 13 years of practice, they would all be churning out Michelin star-quality meals.

Wow, these fundie moms must have a lot of confidence in themselves. I don't have as much in myself. I feel there are areas that I lack, and my kids can benefit from relationships with other adults. I'd be worried I'd limit them, if they had only me as a model.

You have a lot more confidence than those fundie moms.  You aren't worried that your kids won't love you if they're allowed to be around other adults without you as the gatekeeper of their ears.  Fundie moms aren't secure at all.  You're right that your kids would be limited with only you as a model.  Kids need a lot of people to learn from, and only insecure people don't see that.  You're doing just fine by letting your kids learn from many people.

You have a lot more confidence than those fundie moms.  You aren't worried that your kids won't love you if they're allowed to be around other adults without you as the gatekeeper of their ears.  Fundie moms aren't secure at all.  You're right that your kids would be limited with only you as a model.  Kids need a lot of people to learn from, and only insecure people don't see that.  You're doing just fine by letting your kids learn from many people.

Limiting their role models, but always enforcing TWO HOURS of daily quiet time -- quality mothering, there.  As Erika states: 

I am not managing anyone's relationships, and no one is talking to me.  *smile*  

Yep.  Thank goodness you don't have to be bothered by your children, Erika, when you make them stay home and stay indoors all.day.long.  *cheer*

*gag*

She said on Facebook that her kindergarten only takes 20 to 40 minutes a day. Excuse me? I know a lot of kindergarten is play heavy but that can't be enough school, could it? I don't have kids and I don't remember kindergarten but still...it seems off.

She said on Facebook that her kindergarten only takes 20 to 40 minutes a day. Excuse me? I know a lot of kindergarten is play heavy but that can't be enough school, could it? I don't have kids and I don't remember kindergarten but still...it seems off.

Yeah, that's a little shocking that she would admit that. I mean, yeah, Kindergarten isn't necessarily about learning astrophysics but I would think that there's more than 20 minutes of work to be done. I mean, that's the equivalent of coloring one goofy worksheet. See, this is where I see how homeschooling a bunch of kids (at different levels) at once could cause issues.

Antimony

• Serial Courter
  • fjavatar.png
  • Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 4 hours ago · Report post

wait really? that's crazy. where does she say that? I want to find it so i can watch to see if anyone calls her out on how ridiculous that is.  

Even if you can accomplish everything you "need" to in half an hour, why would you stop? If your kids do the work that quickly they're probably pretty bright and would benefit from more involved lessons. Heck, they might even enjoy them! *gasp*

It's like she wants to stifle any love of learning they might have.

wait really? that's crazy. where does she say that? I want to find it so i can watch to see if anyone calls her out on how ridiculous that is.  

Its in the comments of this post. I hope the link works!

https://www.facebook.com/LargeFamiliesOnPurpose/photos/a.209805625729213.48767.171658456210597/983388365037598/?type=3&theater

oh. my. god. so glad you sent that link. her comment in its entirety is even more appalling. she opens by criticizing another mother for spending "too long" on academics and then brags about spending 20 minutes on four of her children's education each day. and she teaches four of them together, so it's not like they're getting much individual attention there. WOW. 

arge Families On Purpose Wow. Are you sure you're not doing too much academics? Each family is different. smile emoticon Our oldest 5 children choose to get up at 6 and begin their days with showers and jobs and then school. The high schoolers work most of the day, but the 3 middle kids (2nd, 4th, 6th) are done about 11:30, and the 4 little kids take about 20-40 min. to do kindergarten/1st. smile emoticon

oh. my. god. so glad you sent that link. her comment in its entirety is even more appalling. she opens by criticizing another mother for spending "too long" on academics and then brags about spending 20 minutes on four of her children's education each day. and she teaches four of them together, so it's not like they're getting much individual attention there. WOW. 

Yes, but knowing Erika she will know -beyond the shadow of a doubt- that she is doing homeschool the correct way. Not like that silly woman spending her whole day trying to educate her children. :pb_rollseyes:

This bitch makes me angry! I can't read this thread before bed. She's so self-righteous, it just blows my mind. 

Yes, but knowing Erika she will know -beyond the shadow of a doubt- that she is doing homeschool the correct way. Not like that silly woman spending her whole day trying to educate her children. :pb_rollseyes:

Excuse me. It's not Erika's decision, it is God's. And he has made it very clear that 20 to 40 minutes of school is exactly the right amount.

I went to kindergarten for a half day, five days a week from about 8:30 to 11:30. We didn't really play at all, though we did color work sheets and do little art projects from time to time.  I can't believe she does 20 minutes a day for kindergarten and, even more disturbing, for 1st grade. No wonder her 12 year old can't spell mommy.

Scandinavian countries turn out students with test scores so much higher than American students that al out kids are idiots in comparison.  It's not common to start academics until kids are 7 or 8.  I'm not alarmed when I hear about kindergarteners not doing worksheets, but Erika doesn't really seem like she has a clear path in mind right now.  Most of my friends homeschool, and do play-based kindergarten where what the kids learn is through play and they don't even realize they're learning.  No worksheets.  No forced time reading.  But they're still learning.  It's how kindergarten was done in my school in the early 80's.  But it is all part of an intentional school path for my friends and their kids.  It's not locking kids in rooms for hours.  It it active, involved time with the kids.  There's no way Erika's doing that with her kids.  If 20-40 minutes is all she can muster at all, she can't have enough time to teach through play.  So my problem isn't the play or the time, but how she's not able to engage long enough to teach them through the play.

So my problem isn't the play or the time, but how she's not able to engage long enough to teach them through the play.

I don't think Erika cares whether her kids are learning enough or learning the right things, Erika cares that Erika is homeschooling. The end. 

Scandinavian countries turn out students with test scores so much higher than American students that al out kids are idiots in comparison.  It's not common to start academics until kids are 7 or 8.  I'm not alarmed when I hear about kindergarteners not doing worksheets, but Erika doesn't really seem like she has a clear path in mind right now.  Most of my friends homeschool, and do play-based kindergarten where what the kids learn is through play and they don't even realize they're learning.  No worksheets.  No forced time reading.  But they're still learning.  It's how kindergarten was done in my school in the early 80's.  But it is all part of an intentional school path for my friends and their kids.  It's not locking kids in rooms for hours.  It it active, involved time with the kids.  There's no way Erika's doing that with her kids.  If 20-40 minutes is all she can muster at all, she can't have enough time to teach through play.  So my problem isn't the play or the time, but how she's not able to engage long enough to teach them through the play.

I am Swedish and school starts at 7 but most children start at 6 for a prep year which is a hybrid between preschool that is play-based and school which is academic. That said, I am sure my daughter does more than 30-40 mins of structured things at preschool if you count art projects, making necklaces, singing and discussing things they see and hear, playing with words and letters and learning "pre-math" (sorting things into categories, learning to recognize numbers, counting to 10, learning big-small, tall-short). They don't have classes though in preschool play is used as a starting point and they still learn a lot of things. Work sheets are sometimes introduced for the 5 year olds who often have "5 year olds time" which includes more field trips, visiting a school and trying things they will meet in school. 

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but anyone else notice a while ago when she posted a photo saying "One of our four-year-old's first efforts at making a chart"?? Good grief. Most normal moms would post stuff like "My four-year-old's first attempt at tying her shoe laces!" or "My four year old's amazing painting!" (IDK). Only someone weird like Erika would be all proud that her kid drew a frikking chart.

I used to take care of my nephews 1 day a week when they were young. They went tot school, but I (and their parents) spent more time on homeschooling when they were little than Erika does. You teach them coulors and shapes, up and downstairs, counting, numbers, the first letter of there name  (and offcourse the M for McDonnalds :my_biggrin:) and so on by interacting with them, playing with them ( I know Erika, shocking concept!).

Looks like there is no room for Erika on the couch.  

She'd probably make them double up i.e. one twin on Karen one on Melanie. 

ETA: anyone else notice Karen's face? Kind of a "hmm" sort of face IYSWIM. I could be reading too much into this, but...

I am Swedish and school starts at 7 but most children start at 6 for a prep year which is a hybrid between preschool that is play-based and school which is academic. That said, I am sure my daughter does more than 30-40 mins of structured things at preschool if you count art projects, making necklaces, singing and discussing things they see and hear, playing with words and letters and learning "pre-math" (sorting things into categories, learning to recognize numbers, counting to 10, learning big-small, tall-short). They don't have classes though in preschool play is used as a starting point and they still learn a lot of things. Work sheets are sometimes introduced for the 5 year olds who often have "5 year olds time" which includes more field trips, visiting a school and trying things they will meet in school. 

Here, structured school is sitting at a desk learning lessons or doing worksheets, not the art projects and singing and playing with colored shapes.  That stuff is still learning, but it's not regimented and teacher-led the same way staring at a chalkboard while a teacher shows you a strange new way to do simple math problems is.

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived