IGNORED

Erika Shupe *fake smile* Large Families on Purpose Part 2

DaffyDill

And the thing is, their house is larger than what she claims (1100 sq. ft.). That seems to be just the first floor. The lower level contains two small bedrooms and the bath/laundry for a total of around 1500 sq. ft. An FJer (can't recall who) discovered this little anomaly via the county website or somesuch. Still not a big house for 11 people, but she's exaggerating its size so that she looks self-sacrificing.

A discussion of her square footage is what first introduced me to Erika.  Her blog kind of seemed okay, but the further I went, the weirder it got.  Googling kept sending me to FJ...ah, my gateway fundie.  She's just as batshit as when I first started reading her.  :special-snowflake1:

• Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder where/how do the older girls attract potential suitors since they don't often get to leave the house?

Also, cosmetology school requires a diploma or GED. Can Erika just print a diploma and declare the kids graduated or do they need to take the GED? I looked up a cosmetology school in Mt Vernon WA - $16950.

She's already said somewhere that she won't have her kids take the GED because, to her, GEDs say that the kid barely passed the requirements and she intends for them to "soar" above the requirements. (Yeah. Not gonna happen). Damn. Even the Duggars get the GED (right?) Maybe they can do a diploma. I wonder how it would work for homeschooled kids.

A couple of days ago, she posted a link and wrote, "Mmm...so good...this is my heart..." It is about trying to figure out how to build a bridge instead of erecting a fence.

I keep thinking about this, because it is flabbergasting to me.  The whole point of the article is that everybody's doing the best they can, and instead of arguing with other mothers, to work together.  At one point, the author wrote this: 

'
What does it do to our relationships with other mothers when we assert that there is only one God-approved way to deal with all aspects of parenting?"

I am astounded that Erika thinks that she agrees with the article, that she sees herself as somebody who includes all viewpoints and considers other people as possibly having something to teach her.  She has *literally* said that if people disagree with her, they are disagreeing with God.

I think she must have a very different view of herself than other people have of her.

To go back to the 12 year-old's note:

I have a seventh grader at the moment, so I'm well-versed in what 12 and 13 year-olds should be doing, and that was just appalling.  It was appropriate for a second grader, not a seventh grader.  

I feel so sad for kids raised without an education.  Homeschooling can provide an excellent education, but not the way Erika or Michelle Duggar do it.  In today's world, you need to be able to read and write at a high level.  So depressing.

A couple of days ago, she posted a link and wrote, "Mmm...so good...this is my heart..." It is about trying to figure out how to build a bridge instead of erecting a fence.

I keep thinking about this, because it is flabbergasting to me.  The whole point of the article is that everybody's doing the best they can, and instead of arguing with other mothers, to work together.  At one point, the author wrote this: 

'
What does it do to our relationships with other mothers when we assert that there is only one God-approved way to deal with all aspects of parenting?"

I am astounded that Erika thinks that she agrees with the article, that she sees herself as somebody who includes all viewpoints and considers other people as possibly having something to teach her.  She has *literally* said that if people disagree with her, they are disagreeing with God.

I think she must have a very different view of herself than other people have of her.

I found her posting of this article fascinating as well...also the few articles about public/public Christian (private?) schools.  We've also heard reports that she's gone to homeschooling conventions and badgered the speakers about what to do when the older kids just aren't into it anymore.  I wonder if she's been chatting with the Jeubs, who've had some pretty public fallouts with their eldest daughters (3 for 3 now!) and now have some of their younger kids in a private Christian school (or so it seems).  

But to imagine that anything she is doing online is building a bridge and not setting one afire?  That's rather delusional, given the number of times she's asserted that she just happens to be sharing God's word, which can be interpreted only one way, her way.  

I found her posting of this article fascinating as well...also the few articles about public/public Christian (private?) schools.  We've also heard reports that she's gone to homeschooling conventions and badgered the speakers about what to do when the older kids just aren't into it anymore.  I wonder if she's been chatting with the Jeubs, who've had some pretty public fallouts with their eldest daughters (3 for 3 now!) and now have some of their younger kids in a private Christian school (or so it seems).  

But to imagine that anything she is doing online is building a bridge and not setting one afire?  That's rather delusional, given the number of times she's asserted that she just happens to be sharing God's word, which can be interpreted only one way, her way.  

Erika is extremely delusional. She continually posts articles she says she agrees with, yet that completely contradict everything she is doing. It is, frankly, flabbergasting.

Somebody with a Facebook they're comfortable using should post this screenshot along with the quote from that article she posted, "What does it do to our relationships with other mothers when we assert that there is only one God-approved way to deal with all aspects of parenting?"

Screen Shot 2015-11-09 at 5.05.15 PM.png

Somebody with a Facebook they're comfortable using should post this screenshot along with the quote from that article she posted, "What does it do to our relationships with other mothers when we assert that there is only one God-approved way to deal with all aspects of parenting?"

Screen Shot 2015-11-09 at 5.05.15 PM.png

Damn it! It's so hard for me  my friend to resist posting on her Facebook page! :562479b0cbc9f_whistle1:

Erika's teaching her youngest kids the Pledge of Allegiance, guys!! She seems to have written it in the usual spot on their French windows with some sheet hanging behind it. Top-liked comment is from someone saying that some people think it's wrong to be teaching children oaths before they fully understand what the oath means, and that some religions forbid the taking of oaths all together. Someone said that it's more swearing allegiance to God and to their country, which they can do without harming their relationship with God. Someone else agrees with the original comment and says that they teach their children the Messianic Shema (which I always thought of as more Jewish than anything else) because their citizenship is in Heaven, not here. As a Brit I have no stance on the Pledge, and my understanding is that some schools get their pupils to say it and others don't. All we have is our National Anthem, which has to be set to the most miserable tune ever. The lyrics aren't miserable- they contain the words "happy and glorious" for God's sake! Even the French national anthem's tune is a lot more cheery, and it contains the immortal line "egorger nos fils, nos compagnes!" which translates to "to cut the throats of our sons, our women." And they say that the French are cheese-eating surrender monkeys...

I'm just getting to her page for the first time in a few days... A couple things:

1. Perhaps she should prioritize basic reading and writing skills rather than reciting the Pledge of Allegiance. Nothing against it, but clearly her 12 year old needs attention elsewhere. 

2. On the thread about house sizes,  did she REALLY just copy and paste the same bull shit, "just be thankful for what God gave you because he loves you," to different people? I realize this is what some of you were talking about. She is such a condescending bitch! 

3. @alexandracabot I don't see what you're referring to... 

I'm just getting to her page for the first time in a few days... A couple things:

1. Perhaps she should prioritize basic reading and writing skills rather than reciting the Pledge of Allegiance. Nothing against it, but clearly her 12 year old needs attention elsewhere. 

2. On the thread about house sizes,  did she REALLY just copy and paste the same bull shit, "just be thankful for what God gave you because he loves you," to different people? I realize this is what some of you were talking about. She is such a condescending bitch! 

3. @alexandracabot I don't see what you're referring to... 

But... but... she simply doesn't have the time to respond to each individual's circumstances!! Though she does have the time to repost inane and redundant articles about the woes of being a homeschooling mom and drawing the pledge of allegiance. *shit-eating grin*

@amandaaries Thanks for raising my attention to the Jeub daughters. I had only heard about them in relation to Erika, but I'm eager to learn more now that I know their circumstances. So they're an example of how that kind of upbringing can backfire. As Erika would say, "Mmmmm......!!!!"

I am a little surprised she is teaching them the pledge of allegiance, it dose not seam to jell with her thoughts about the government.

Also windows are for looking, not for writing on, Erika tisk tisk. 

I'm not a fan of the pledge of allegiance, especially for children. It's creepy to drill that kind of mindless nationalism in kid's heads. I think that kind of thing should wait until kids know what they're saying and the magnitude of it. Then again, Erika doesn't want to encourage actual thought in her kids heads. This kind of thing is right up her alley.

The Jeubs are actually 4 for 4 now Alicia,  another "A", Alyssa? Lydia and Cynthia all kicked out,  or left soon after turning 18. One of the older girls was featured on the show reconciling with the parents,  but has since severed that relationship again. 

I think that Brandon and possibly others must be dyslexic/dysgraphic. Some of my children have dysgraphia, and their handwriting is even worse than Brandon 's. But they don't have spelling issues.  If I had a blog about homeschooling,  I would mention it though,  because dealing with learning disabilities is a whole different ballgame. And I wouldn't want this exact type of criticism she's receiving here,  condemnation of homeschooling based on her child's handwriting and spelling. 

I am a little surprised she is teaching them the pledge of allegiance, it dose not seam to jell with her thoughts about the government.

Also windows are for looking, not for writing on, Erika tisk tisk. 

She is a big fan of window markers, they foster creativity and brighten a room! *beam* Nobody is allowed to touch them except Erika, Karen, and Melanie. *chuckle*

The main reason behind fundie homeschooling is creepy to me. People like Erika believe that if you homeschool your child, you are your child's everything. They won't have a teacher they like or are influenced by outside of you. All of your child's attention and adoration will go to mommy and daddy. It seems narcissistic. 

The main reason behind fundie homeschooling is creepy to me. People like Erika believe that if you homeschool your child, you are your child's everything. They won't have a teacher they like or are influenced by outside of you. All of your child's attention and adoration will go to mommy and daddy. It seems narcissistic. 

It's the entire premise of the Maxwell "Keeping Our Children's Hearts" book (which Erika has recommended).  They literally say it upfront: that any outside influences "pull your child's heart away from the parents."  This includes public school but also things like youth groups through church, sports teams, summer camps, etc.  It's a stated goal.  Keep your children to only have your influence until they are married.

It's the entire premise of the Maxwell "Keeping Our Children's Hearts" book (which Erika has recommended).  They literally say it upfront: that any outside influences "pull your child's heart away from the parents."  This includes public school but also things like youth groups through church, sports teams, summer camps, etc.  It's a stated goal.  Keep your children to only have your influence until they are married.

Wow, these fundie moms must have a lot of confidence in themselves. I don't have as much in myself. I feel there are areas that I lack, and my kids can benefit from relationships with other adults. I'd be worried I'd limit them, if they had only me as a model. Or perhaps they'd become a carbon copy of me, with all my opinions, instead of learning and growing by meeting other people and developing their own worldview.

My kids have formed fond attachments to other adults, like the moms of some of their friends. When they were little, that would sometimes catch me by surprise (I wasn't their whole world?!!) But now I'm just profoundly grateful every time an adult takes an interest in them, or helps them in some way. Kids can use all the benevolent grownups they can get in their lives.

Maybe the fundie moms need such control over and adoration from their kids because mothering is all they will have. There is no career to feel self-esteem from. 

Maybe the fundie moms need such control over and adoration from their kids because mothering is all they will have. There is no career to feel self-esteem from. 

That makes sense. It just puts so much pressure on the kids to be "perfect."

I think that's why fundie women are always bragging about their cooking (which stinks BTW) and their organic-ness. It is one of the few areas they control, and they concentrate really hard on it.  

No career except hardcore mothering, fundie-style, which is the only avenue to gain self-esteem.  That, or the  husband's compliments, if he thinks the missus has earned any.  

Plenty of non-fundie (ETA and I'm sure some fundie) people are stay-at-home moms or dads without traditional careers... and yet they still give their children well-rounded lives, socialization opportunities, and adequate educations if they homeschool. 

So I think there's something more to it than not having/wanting a career. My $0.02 is that it's at least somehow tied to trying to raise kids that won't question (and, as a result, someday reject) their religious and lifestyle beliefs and run awaaaaaay the moment they hit 18. 

Plenty of non-fundie (ETA and I'm sure some fundie) people are stay-at-home moms or dads without traditional careers... and yet they still give their children well-rounded lives, socialization opportunities, and adequate educations if they homeschool. 

So I think there's something more to it than not having/wanting a career. My $0.02 is that it's at least somehow tied to trying to raise kids that won't question (and, as a result, someday reject) their religious and lifestyle beliefs and run awaaaaaay the moment they hit 18. 

Good point. People like the Maxwells and Shupes are just different I guess. Isolationists. 

The Keeping Hearts book says upfront that it is to keep the children from rebellion and keep their souls pure for Jesus, that there's just too much of a risk of them turning away from God if they aren't isolated.

To which I say, wow.  Your God is weak!

She's already said somewhere that she won't have her kids take the GED because, to her, GEDs say that the kid barely passed the requirements and she intends for them to "soar" above the requirements. (Yeah. Not gonna happen). Damn. Even the Duggars get the GED (right?) Maybe they can do a diploma. I wonder how it would work for homeschooled kids.

I was homeschooled in WA State k-12. I did not get a GED (took SAT) but graduated with a diploma that was printed by the Washington Homeschool Organization since I participated in their graduation ceremony. However, it was done only as a perk to people paying for the graduation since WA state does not require any specific proof of academic achievement other than having your kids tested each year and the results kept in personal files. WHO no longer provides those diplomas because many people thought it was something official rather than a commemorative document. My Mom created a diploma for my other siblings as they did not do the graduation ceremonies like I did. 

Most parents (in this state) keep meticulous records for their high school student so they can provide a transcript for their kids for college. Parents usually consider their kids done with HS when they have more or less done what is required in the public schools for a HS diploma. 

I never once had to show my diploma or transcript for anything. My siblings who have all gone on to colleges and various careers have never had problems with a "house made" diploma or transcript. 

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived