IGNORED

Erika Shupe *fake smile* Large Families on Purpose Part 2

DaffyDill

I think she's wearing a skirt over leggings. The skirt is black whereas the leggings are more navy- you can tell if you look at the photo. 

Yup, I kinda thought so but I'm on my old chromebook with the dim, washed out screen and it was a little hard to tell.  I should have known for sure that Erika would never defraud us by wearing a pair of Satan's pants!

• Replies 816
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought Erika would known that sitting crossed legged is rather immodest, as it exposes your (legging covered) crotch, unless wearing a full skirt that fully covers everything.  Polite women sit with legs together folded to the side   :my_cool:

Also, does Anna Marie have a sofa cushion laying across her back?  I'm suprised that Erika would allow a cushion to do double duty

Wow, poor Karen looks totally fed up or annoyed. I don't blame her one bit.

I feel for those girls. They have to do so much around the house, wrangle the kids, be pseudo parents and now, while everyone else has a fun game night waiting for big ole Bob to come home, they have to sit and do some stupid tutorial, while hearing the same kids they have to wrangle, laughing and having fun. It really sucks, and Erika, you are a first class bitch.

Also, she just posted a link from "Heritage Defense" (which I read as meaning "Racism/Sexism Defense") on how to deal with CPS if they are called on you. That's just dandy. Now they're perpetuating the narrative that CPS is looking for every chance they can get to snatch up your children.

There is much speculation that CPS has paid the Shupes a visit.  First someone posted on her Facebook feed that they were sorry they had to deal with CPS, and then shortly thereafter they installed triple bunks in the kids' rooms and reconfigured things so the beds were not blocking the windows., which could have well been a CPS mandate.  I could see Erika becoming extra paranoid about CPS now instead of simply taking responsibility for her own failings.  

There is much speculation that CPS has paid the Shupes a visit.  First someone posted on her Facebook feed that they were sorry they had to deal with CPS, and then shortly thereafter they installed triple bunks in the kids' rooms and reconfigured things so the beds were not blocking the windows., which could have well been a CPS mandate.  I could see Erika becoming extra paranoid about CPS now instead of simply taking responsibility for her own failings.  

Sometimes I wonder why the Shupes are so comfortable giving a tour of their home inside and out and whatnot. It's not to just a few FB friends, it's the world. I wouldn't be that comfortable. Especially if I thought people wanted to call CPS on me. It's kinda weird. *shrug*

Sometimes I wonder why the Shupes are so comfortable giving a tour of their home inside and out and whatnot. It's not to just a few FB friends, it's the world. I wouldn't be that comfortable. Especially if I thought people wanted to call CPS on me. It's kinda weird. *shrug*

You have to remember that fundies aren't quite right in the head. What they would consider normal, we consider abnormal, and vice versa.

I don't think Erika thought there was anything wrong with the way she had the kids rooms set up. I really think she thought that foot of space between the bed and the window was enough. I wonder if she told CPS (when/if they told her she needed to change the room setup) that they weren't disagreeing with her, they were disagreeing with God. I would pay money to see the CPS worker's face if she did that.

I don't think Erika thought there was anything wrong with the way she had the kids rooms set up. I really think she thought that foot of space between the bed and the window was enough. I wonder if she told CPS (when/if they told her she needed to change the room setup) that they weren't disagreeing with her, they were disagreeing with God. I would pay money to see the CPS worker's face if she did that.

I would have loved to play mouse during that visit.

"No, I am doing it right. IT IS GODS WAY, stupid!"

The family have been ice-skating! Lacey and Lilly were wearing long(ish) skirts, although appeared to be using training aids most of the time; there is, however, one photo of one twin skating without an aid. I know we've seen the Duggars skate in long skirts, but it just seems dangerous to me. Karen, Melanie and Anna Marie were wearing knee-length skirts, which is likely safer. No evidence of Bob, although I appreciate that he was probably working. 

I used to ice skate often, and always wore longish skirts.  Jeans didn't let me more as freely as I wanted, and skirts are really warmer.  I took ice skating lessons in my skirts.

I thought it was sad in her recent post where she won't take her boys grocery shopping even though they like it, instead they go to manly stores with their dad.

What if they have one day have a wife who's too poorly to go to the shops for food and they need to do a food run?  Why is the grocery store a girly place?  Boys and girls (and men & women) should be able to navigate both stores and stores won't a gender or orientation change :bangheaddesk:

The best chefs in the world are almost always men.  Cooking isn't girly.  It's dominated by MEN in the professional world, so how can she think it's a girly thing?  One of the manliest things a man can do is take care of himself and others, which means needing to know how to pick produce and buy his own chonies.

I have to wonder about these parents that think their children are lusting after them. What's going on in their minds? What kind of environment are they creating that your own parents and siblings are potential targets? The more I think about it, the more it disgusts me.

When their kids are so sexually oppressed from birth and isolated from meaningful friendships and relationships with other people, it's easy to see how they can start directing their normal and natural hormonal feelings on the people they're allowed to be around.

Not to mention these kids are told from day one that boys are lustful and can't control themselves. They grow to believe it.

I could definitely see Erika making a wonderful drill sergeant. I think she would really REALLY enjoy the rigid routine and structure of the military. Also, maybe someday she will realize that manly men have to eat too and take her boys to the damn grocery store.  She mentions somewhere that Bob has had to go every now and then, and presumably he didn't catch the gay.  :roll: Baby steps, Erika.

I agree that Erika would LOVE military life - or at least making her kids live the rigid lifestyle of the military. I hesitate to share this for fear of giving her ideas, but I've watched my son prepare his uniforms while he was home on leave. Erika would *smile* *beam* over the details to which he had to adhere.  They issue them little rulers to dress. Each medal/ribbon has to be a precise distance from the collar and shoulder, the belt must have a specific length showing outside the buckle. The end of the tie must hit at a precise measurement above the waistband (or below; I can't remember all of it)  When in utilities (cammies), if sleeves are rolled, the cuffs must be a precise width and they better be flat with sharp creases.  I've seen my son iron creases in his trousers that were sharp enough to cut cold butter. 

The Maxwells would NOT do well in the Marines because, while in any sort of dress uniform, they can have nothing in their pockets - not even a cell phone. When we were on base, we saw many Marines stop and lift their pant leg and pull their phone out of their sock.  It was quite defrauding to see those muscular calves but rules are rules. 

Finally, I do know that my son was in the habit of stopping at a certain grocery store on his way to his (then) fiancée's home each weekend.  Occasionally he was in uniform and one time he caught the attention of a of a young worker who had Down Syndrome.  He addressed my son as "Sarge" and they became great buddies, having a conversation each Friday as my son shopped for the woman he loved.  So, not only did he not catch the gay while he shopped, he actually made a friend. 

Erika's "No Grocery Stores for Boys" rule is just stupid. *cringe* *snort*

i was just wondering what families they came from? seeing they courted they must be second gen quiverfull..

Nope, they're first generation quiverfull (if you're talking about Erika and Bob, that is). In fact, Erika has been off and on birth control ever since she and Bob have gotten married. She admits that she had a hard time "leaving it up to God." Everyone seems to get the sense that Erika came from a conservative Christian upbringing while Bob probably didn't. Bob's parents and seemingly his entire extended family has been cut off due to this vaguely-explained ongoing argument. 

I see her going off and on birth control as one of her more human features. Sure you CAN let it all be down to god but you don't have to in this day and age. If we believe in an allmighty god it is still down to that god if we get pregnant or not. 

From her writing, it looks like her parents went fundie when she was older. She went to public school, but her younger siblings were homeschooled. I believe she went trick or treating, but the siblings didn't get to. She lucked out, then turned fundie dictator on her family. Ugh.

Has anyone seen this comment by Erika under the Game Night entry?

We are still working on two of our youngest boys also. But I encourage you to continue serving them. My mom always said children will learn to love the things they see you preparing and enjoying when they smell it around the house. And I have found that to be true. It is still required, but I encourage them to learn to get their salad taste buds. and the reason you see salads on the table is because those two little sons refused to eat them at lunchtime. LOL so daddy will encourage them to finish their salad when he gets home

Ok, Erika, so what you probably mean is, daddy will threaten to hit them if they don't eat their salads. Nice.

There's a picture of a little boy with a bowl of salad. Has he been given anything else to eat all day, or is just being forced to eat that salad?

Has anyone seen this comment by Erika under the Game Night entry?

Ok, Erika, so what you probably mean is, daddy will threaten to hit them if they don't eat their salads. Nice.

There's a picture of a little boy with a bowl of salad. Has he been given anything else to eat all day, or is just being forced to eat that salad?

I saw that too. When I first saw the picture, her son's expression made me laugh because he clearly wasn't having it. Now I feel sad because I'm pretty sure its in Erika's MO to deny her kids food until they finish up the previous meal. I don't blame the kid for being put off by those salads. So much salad and so little dressing! 

I'd be a little bummed if I had to eat salad every day. I would think they would change it up in the winter and have soup instead.

I saw that too. When I first saw the picture, her son's expression made me laugh because he clearly wasn't having it. Now I feel sad because I'm pretty sure its in Erika's MO to deny her kids food until they finish up the previous meal. I don't blame the kid for being put off by those salads. So much salad and so little dressing! 

I love his expression, but fear that everyone is right: she's probably denying him anything else until that salad is done, and Bob will come home to enforce her rules. How can he see his small sons and not protest? 

Salads are awesome, but it's gotta be cold in the PNW now.  Why not soups?  No wonder she has to post articles about staying patient.  I can't imagine trying to force kids to eat a giant salad for lunch every day while expressing gratitude about it...every.single.day.  

Their ice skating day is interesting, too.  A bag of carrots in the center of the table, lots of water bottles, and a small (probably) homebaked snack to go with that.  Has this woman never heard of growth spurts? Does it not occur to her that the kids will need more food on some days, especially with chilly winter activities?  

I know her kids are doing better than the Rodridguii clan, but does the bar need to be so low?  Can't fundie kids have some less restricted eating schedules? How do they keep convincing themselves they're doing such a superior job to the secular folks & their childrearing techniques, while their own children starve amongst them?  :annoyed:

I agree that kids' taste buds change and mature but the answer, in my opinion, is not to force them to eat the disliked food every day until they learn to like it.  The answer is to take it out of the rotation for a few months and try to introduce it again later.  But Erika does what is convenient for Erika so there's no way she'll stop the Salad Train or modify it by adding a different cheese, a little more dressing, whatever. 

Also, it beats me why she doesn't spend a weekend making a couple pots of soup.  Homemade vegetable soup is easy, nutritious and perfect for cold weather. The kids could help chop the vegetables and she could do a whole post on storing soup in perfectly sized containers.  I love salads but in this cold weather, it's the last thing I want. I even feel bad that the kids have cold smoothies some mornings even in winter.  I guess scrambled eggs and toast are never part of the rotation either. 

I think Erika feels more anxiety over straying form her routine than she does over the health and comfort of her children.  If a physician, for instance, said her son MUST ingest more calories, I believe Erika would push back and say "But...the schedule...the master shopping list." 

If a physician, for instance, said her son MUST ingest more calories, I believe Erika would push back and say "But...the schedule...the master shopping list." 

I think that's a little over the top. I don't see Erika as trying to make her kids unhealthy. I think their diet is a lot better than others we see. The issue I have with her is the sugar-free splenda crap but overall it's great that they do green smoothies and salads. There can be all kinds of reasons for why kids are short.  In America, we have such a warped sense of what fit and healthy looks like. Two-thirds of Americans are overweight. When we see healthy kids we say "too skinny!" "not enough calories!" when in reality they could be perfectly fine. 

I think that's a little over the top. I don't see Erika as trying to make her kids unhealthy. I think their diet is a lot better than others we see. There can be all kinds of reasons for why kids are short. We ate whatever we wanted growing up and had plenty and my twin brother is 5' 4" as an adult and I am 5' 1". It happens. I also think, in America, we have such a warped sense of what fit and healthy looks like. Two-thirds of Americans are overweight. When we see healthy kids we say "too skinny!" "not enough calories!" when in reality they could be perfectly fine. 

I can't speak for the OP, but I think they were commenting more about Erika's inability to change unless it suits her specifically. She has made a big fuss about not cooking different things for different kids and not allowing customized dishes (i.e. everyone gets the same thing in their salads). I think OP might have also been saying that if a Dr. recommended feeding a specific kid x or y to combat a z deficiency, she might pout over customizing a kid's meal. In my heart of hearts, I think she would do what's best for her kids even if it screwed up her meal plan but you know she'd be a little irritated. She'd probably end up changing everyone's diet because God forbid a kid have a different meal from their sibling! 

I can't speak for the OP, but I think they were commenting more about Erika's inability to change unless it suits her specifically. She has made a big fuss about not cooking different things for different kids and not allowing customized dishes (i.e. everyone gets the same thing in their salads). I think OP might have also been saying that if a Dr. recommended feeding a specific kid x or y to combat a z deficiency, she might pout over customizing a kid's meal. In my heart of hearts, I think she would do what's best for her kids even if it screwed up her meal plan but you know she'd be a little irritated. She'd probably end up changing everyone's diet because God forbid a kid have a different meal from their sibling! 

Thank you. That is what I meant and I apologize for my poor wording. 

Thank you. That is what I meant and I apologize for my poor wording. 

I apologize if I sounded like I was speaking for you- I was really just going off on a tangent about what you had already said. :pb_smile:

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived