IGNORED

Jinger and Lawson courting?

SPHASH

I really hope it's not Joy and Trace. Jinger and Lawson at least are in their 20s. Lawson at least seems to have a career of some sort. What does Trace do? Is Jim Bob going to hire him as Ben's assistant? And Joy has said more than once in the recent past that she doesn't want to get married anytime soon, that it seems like a lot of work, etc. Obviously she could very well change her mind, especially if she meets a guy she really likes, but she literally just turned 18. Josiah and Marjorie was bad enough. I want to see Joy get an education, maybe travel a bit, experience life, and get to know herself... not marry Trace Bates while she's still a teenager.

Some of those things are arguably more lickly if she were to marry a Bates.  At least they encourage their children to attend Crown College.  Kelly is very pro (fundie approved) extended education. Joy's world is not going to change because she turned 18.  If anything she can look forward to more childcare responsibilities.  I don't really want to see any fundie teens getting married and starting quivers either, but I can't say that marriage would be more stifling for her than her current situation.  

I don not think for a second that any bates boy marry a Duggar would move closer to the Duggar complex.  The Bates like to keep their kids close too and it's the husband who gets to make those choices.  

Trace seems to work for/with Lawson on lawns.  He was also interested in doing trick riding or something in one shot of one episode of the show...

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really hope it's not Joy and Trace. Jinger and Lawson at least are in their 20s. Lawson at least seems to have a career of some sort. What does Trace do? Is Jim Bob going to hire him as Ben's assistant? And Joy has said more than once in the recent past that she doesn't want to get married anytime soon, that it seems like a lot of work, etc. Obviously she could very well change her mind, especially if she meets a guy she really likes, but she literally just turned 18. Josiah and Marjorie was bad enough. I want to see Joy get an education, maybe travel a bit, experience life, and get to know herself... not marry Trace Bates while she's still a teenager.

Yeah that's what I remember most clearly from Jill's wedding season; Joy saying that she didn't want to get married anytime soon. I really hope that hasn't changed. She's just 18 and I know in the Fundie world it's different but come on...! 

It is fall break at Crown College:  http://thecrowncollege.com/about-crown/calendar-of-events/  So I hope that the boys travelling on I-40 W  means that Joseph is still  a student there.

That other guy with him isn't that Caleb Bates who always hangs with Lawson, is it? https://instagram.com/thecalebbates/

It is fall break at Crown College:  http://thecrowncollege.com/about-crown/calendar-of-events/  So I hope that the boys travelling on I-40 W  means that Joseph is still  a student there.

That other guy with him isn't that Caleb Bates who always hangs with Lawson, is it? https://instagram.com/thecalebbates/

Joe is still a student at Crown.  The Duggars confirmed this when they posted on Duggar Official FB that JD, Jinger, and Joy went to visit the Bates' and their brother Joseph who was studying at Crown.  That's when all those Lawson and Jinger courtship rumors really heated up.

The thought of Joy being in a courtship is so disturbing to me. She JUST turned 18, isn't very mature, and we all saw how Josiah's failed. Would the Duggars actually allow another young kid to court again?

The thought of Joy being in a courtship is so disturbing to me. She JUST turned 18, isn't very mature, and we all saw how Josiah's failed. Would the Duggars actually allow another young kid to court again?

Yes because they don't learn from their mistakes! :) 

I second the post above that says a Bates boy isn't going to move to Duggar territory. I really don't see any of the Bates kids even WANTING to do that, nor do I see any Duggar marrying a Bates wanting to stay near the Duggar home. Jessa and Jill stayed in Arkansas because that's where their husbands were. Ben moved closer to the Duggar complex because it was easier for filming. Since they're still filming, I don't think that he's going to be moving any time soon. Since the Bates already have a show, and it's doing decidedly better than the Duggars' (since theirs was cancelled and all), I don't see them choosing to move for filming purposes. Not that I really imagine that any of the Bates kids are "fame hungry" enough to do that. Even Lawson isn't that fame hungry, and he's king of self promotion.

No, I imagine that a Duggar/Bates courtship will result in the couple settling in or around Tennessee, even if the pairing was a Bates girl and Duggar boy.

As for what Trace does, I don't have that much information on who he is, in general, but this is from the Bates' website:

The name Trace has become synonymous with competition at our house, and he gives his older brothers quite a challenge when he’s included in a game! He enjoys almost any sport or game: basketball, football, ping pong, foosball, skiing, horseback riding, cards, or anything active or competitive. He has become the go- to- errand- runner for the family, since most of the older siblings are gone, and as such, he’s an invaluable help! He also is a very important worker on tree jobs with the Bates Tree Service. His personality is fun and spunky, and he’s usually in the middle of all the action.

Allow? yes. Encourage? probably not.  

My money's still on Jinger and Lawson, Joseph and Tori, and Nathan and that other girl.

I think there's a difference. The Bates and Duggars have known each other for a VERY long time. And they've spent A LOT of time together. Joy has been documented on numerous accounts to be going to visit the Bates, sometimes without a documentation of any other Duggarling with her. Josiah and Marjorie knew each other, but their courtship was rather left field for anyone following the Duggars.

As it is, if Joy is the one courting, she'll be the first Duggarling to court someone she actually has a real relationship with. Also, if she's courting a Bates, there was likely a "special friends" period before an official courtship, unlike any of the Duggar relationships before. If Joy is courting a Bates, she'll be the Duggar most prepared to spend her life with the person she will end up marrying.

Also, we don't know what the reason behind the failed courtship was. It may not have had anything to do with their maturity and everything to do with her parents making a decision to not involve their daughter with a family that has a known sex offender. That would, in no way, be Josiah or Marjorie's fault. That would be Josh's fault.

Some 18-year-olds might be okay. A mature 18-year-old who feels fulfilled by his or her fundie existence and longs for marriage and children might thrive. Obviously it's still not an ideal scenario, but not necessarily a disaster. Young marriage in general, I have no problem with. The youth and inexperience aspect is an added challenge, but I don't think it means that young people can't or shouldn't get married. Contrary to popular belief, I think Ben and Jessa, for example, will probably be all right.

But someone like Joy, who has expressed ambivalence toward marriage in general, who still seems so much like a teenager, who hasn't even had the opportunity to figure out what she wants in life (because she sure hasn't been saying, "I can't wait to find God's match for me and starting having babies")? Plus an equally inexperienced teenager from the same cult? No thanks. If Joy has genuinely done a complete 180 in the past year, has met a man she loves and wants to spend her life with, and truly wants marriage and children NOW, okay. It's her life and, in that scenario, her choice. I just have a lot of trouble believing that's the case.

I really don't think it's Joy. She said she wasn't interested in marriage and that it seemed like a lot of work. I believe her, it's not a popular fundie opinion and she sounded very sincere. I think it will take a good few years for Jim Bob and Michelle to reprogram her into a nice little fundie wife ready to gaze up at her headship adoringly and pop out the blessings.

Out of the older girls if anyone is courting it's Jinger. Jana doesn't seem to want to get married/really hasn't found the right guy. If I were her, a fundie SAHD stuck at home raising my siblings I would definitely be ready to marry just to get out of the house, become a "real" adult and gain a tiny amount of independance. But it seems she's really not interested, and that's a choice that I have to respect too. Maybe it's better to be an adult child raising your siblings than to be in a loveless marriage with an impatient, domineering weirdo like Priscilla is. I just hope she's not too miserable.

The thing is I really can't picture Jinger with Lawson. She's turned into such a quiet, calm person, it's hard to imagine her with exuberant music-loving Lawson. I could have to eat my words here but it's definitely a strange pairing. Then again, I don't find Joseph and Tori any better suited... But I base my judgements off of heavily edited reality TV shows so who knows.

The name Trace has become synonymous with competition at our house, and he gives his older brothers quite a challenge when he’s included in a game! He enjoys almost any sport or game: basketball, football, ping pong, foosball, skiing, horseback riding, cards, or anything active or competitive. He has become the go- to- errand- runner for the family, since most of the older siblings are gone, and as such, he’s an invaluable help! He also is a very important worker on tree jobs with the Bates Tree Service. His personality is fun and spunky, and he’s usually in the middle of all the action.

So....anyone else thinks this sounds like Ben?

-competitive sports

-errand running

-handiwork for dad

Perhaps Jessa and Joy have similar taste in men...

-competitive sports

-errand running

-handiwork for dad

I don't think those are indicative of having the same taste. Their personalities, from what I've seen of both, are completely different, and they don't even look similar. Plus, anyone can be compared that way. For instance, Jill and I both take care of children, Jill and I have both learned Spanish to some degree, and Jill and I both have long hair. So, clearly we're the same person?

I do not want Joy in a courtship, but it would not be surprising.  

imagine if any random Duggar and Bates had an "attraction" for the other, the peer pressure would be tremendous.  Kelly said (while out shopping alone with Trace btw) that they think of 18 as a minimum age for courtship because they are usually done with home school by than.  They are in no way opposed to the young ones getting hitched, I tend to believe the Duggar's would agree.

My hypothetical scenario: If Joy happened to have an "attraction" to Trace (go ahead and fill in any D&B combo here), she would have to tell her parents.  She would also probably tell Carlin.  Carlin is a mouthy little thing, but it's documented that none of the Bates can keep a secret.  Now all the Bates know about Joy (or rando Dug's) budding Bates affection, what could have been a harmless crush is now a big fucking deal.  Since she both sets of parents WILL KNOW what these young unmarried are up too they might even start talking about the marriage.  Anyone remember your friends finding out who your crush was in middle school? I imagine that level of hype.  Carlin would be thrilled about the possibility of her best friend becoming her sisters, the peer pressure ball rolls along from there. The fact that Joy publicly said she doesn't want to get married means nothing to me.  As a matter of fact it's another reason for her parents to marry her off and get her with child before she finds her self, like so many of you hopeful fjs have said. 

This Is a marriage/ babies cult, none of the kids are immune.  It's amazing to me how many posters are trying to apply mainstream logic and reasoning to these people.  This is a cult, expect cult-like behavior and you wont be disappointed. 

-competitive sports

-errand running

-handiwork for dad

I don't think those are indicative of having the same taste. Their personalities, from what I've seen of both, are completely different, and they don't even look similar. Plus, anyone can be compared that way. For instance, Jill and I both take care of children, Jill and I have both learned Spanish to some degree, and Jill and I both have long hair. So, clearly we're the same person?

It's a loose comparison, and not really indicative of anything. It was more "something I thought was interesting" than anything meant to be particularly important or controversial. I did think it was interesting that Derrick isn't like that (branched out on his own instead of working for the family, not the family errand boy, and not into competitive sports), but that Jessa and Joy might have both gone for guys who are like that.

Also, I never said they were the same person, just that they might have similar taste in men. They're obviously different people.

I just can't wrap my head around the idea of Joy courting yet.  My mom had just turned 18 and my dad 23 when they married but I still can't see Joy and Lawson together.  It was Jinger standing between Trace and Lawson at Amy's wedding.  Joy was no where near them.  If she was the one courting or pre-courting I think she would have been standing there.  Also Amy supposedly asked Jinger about Lawson and supposedly Jinger replied 'rumors are rumors' laughing.  Wouldn't she have just outright denied it to Amy, her cousin if there was nothing to it?  I still think Lawson and Jinger are the couple until proven otherwise.

I just can't wrap my head around the idea of Joy courting yet.  My mom had just turned 18 and my dad 23 when they married but I still can't see Joy and Lawson together.  It was Jinger standing between Trace and Lawson at Amy's wedding.  Joy was no where near them.  If she was the one courting or pre-courting I think she would have been standing there.  Also Amy supposedly asked Jinger about Lawson and supposedly Jinger replied 'rumors are rumors' laughing.  Wouldn't she have just outright denied it to Amy, her cousin if there was nothing to it?  I still think Lawson and Jinger are the couple until proven otherwise.

When did that happen? 

When did that happen? 

Here's the article:  http://www.inquisitr.com/2450578/jinger-duggar-and-lawson-bates-allegedly-went-on-a-date-amy-duggar-asked-jinger-about-it/

Inquisitr so I guess take it with a grain of salt.

Quote for article to save people time reading the entire thing:

“Girlfriend, What’s this about you being in love?” Amy asked Jinger.

Jinger Duggar didn’t confirm the rumors that she and Lawson Bates are courting, but she didn’t deny them, either. She reportedly laughed at her cousin’s question and said, “Rumors are rumors!”

I just don't see Joy being interested in courting yet. It seems that she is reveling in the wee bit of freedom afforded her recently. These girls haven't had any BFFs in the past, like other teen girls. Just a series of acquaintances and church friends. They've repeatedly said that their best friends are their sisters, probably the same for the Bates girls. So it seems that Joy might be the first to have a true BFF in Carlin, and vice versa. Not so much husband focused, maybe just more "typical" teen girl stuff.  And they actually get to go places because of the older sibs. Not sure, just my opinion. 

Jana and Michael Bates are "BFFs" as well.  I'd still consider these are church friends.  None of this is new, hanging with the Bates is only the illusion of freedom.  Same set of stifling beliefs.  

Jana and Michael Bates are "BFFs" as well.  I'd still consider these are church friends.  None of this is new, hanging with the Bates is only the illusion of freedom.  Same set of stifling beliefs.  

I wouldn't say that Jana and Michael's "best friendship" is anything like Joy and Carlin's. For one thing, Joy and Carlin were given a LOT more freedom to visit with each other than Jana and Michael were allowed. Joy has, on many occasions, been documented at the Bates' house, and not necessarily with other Duggars. She even showed up at a taping of a talk show with the Bates (though she wasn't part of the segment). Jana never did that, and neither did Michael. Jana and Michael, because of their position in the family, weren't given the freedoms necessary to have a real friendship with anyone outside of a easily drivable distance. Joy and Carlin, on the other hand, were given that opportunity. It's obvious through their social media posts that the younger girls are very close with each other, and the fact that she got a birthday shout out from the Bates family (which I'm fairly certain is a first for any Duggar birthdays) is also proof that Joy is a lot closer to Carlin (and maybe the entire family) than other Duggars are.

Its hard for me to think that Joy is ready to court ... but I remember thinking the same thing about Jessa. 

The Bateses posting on social media wishing Joy a happy birthday was a surprise to me.  I've never seen them really acknowledge a Duggar birthday before.  (Or a BFF of any of their other kids.) 

hi, Jill!:evil-laugh:

I'm beginning to wonder if we're not going to see a triple or double wedding between Bates and Duggars. I could see Jack Ass and Gil loving the TV attention for that

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived