IGNORED

The kids still at home

MoonFace

In a lifestyle where women aren't assigned power, I really do think Anna has as much or more than anyone else in (or connected to) the TTH at the moment.

I wonder if something like this was foretold in Revelations?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but has anyone checked out Gil Bates's bio on the IBLP site recently? In light of recent events, it's not to be missed. Check it out before someone wakes up and changes it:

iblp.org/about-iblp/corporate-in ... -directors

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but has anyone checked out Gil Bates's bio on the IBLP site recently? In light of recent events, it's not to be missed. Check it out before someone wakes up and changes it:

That link wasn't found for me. What did it say?

That link wasn't found for me. What did it say?

iblp.org/about-iblp/corporate-information/board-directors

It says:

Gil Bates

International recognition has recently been given to Gil and Kelly Bates for their success in a family with 19 children. The special TV program titled “The United Bates of America†demonstrated the principles that they have learned from applying Biblical truth to their lives, marriage, and family. They are close friends with the Jim Bob Duggar family, and when they get together there are 38 outstanding sons and daughters among their two families!

Not only does Gil bring to the Board a wealth of practical wisdom on marriage and training up sons and daughters, but he also has a marvelous testimony about combining prayer, initiative, diligence, creativity, and patience in providing for his family. This has included a large home, a tree-trimming business with special equipment, and family transportation—all without a steady income and no debt! Gil and Kelly have taught their children how to be each other’s best friends, love family responsibilities, and maintain a grateful spirit. Over the years, they have taken their financial needs to the Lord and watched God provide opportunities for work. This has taught their children to have great faith in the Lord.

I don't know, I don't really see the Bates' distancing themselves from the Duggars.

Broke the link.

Now a quote from his bio:

Not only does Gil bring to the Board a wealth of practical wisdom on marriage and training up sons and daughters, but he also has a marvelous testimony about combining prayer, initiative, diligence, creativity, and patience in providing for his family. This has included a large home, a tree-trimming business with special equipment, and family transportation—all without a steady income and no debt! Gil and Kelly have taught their children how to be each other’s best friends, love family responsibilities, and maintain a grateful spirit. Over the years, they have taken their financial needs to the Lord and watched God provide opportunities for work. This has taught their children to have great faith in the Lord."

I have no problem with someone taking their concerns and needs to God. And I believe that God can provide opportunities for us - financial and otherwise.

But I take issue with his bragging about being an itinerant worker and still having ALL OF THIS and no debt. Their reality show on The Evil TV is part of their income. And that big house? They'd still be living in a shoebox if Jim Bob Duggar and TLC hadn't come along.

One could argue that God provided via the reality show, but we can't ALL have reality shows. Here's a VSE idea for you Mr. Bates: show us fundie mega-families who don't have steady jobs, a reality show, a blog, or a YouTube channel. I want to see how THEY live.

Gone already......

This has included a large home, a tree-trimming business with special equipment, and family transportation—all without a steady income and no debt!

I don't really follow the Bates but wasn't Lawson buying groceries for them for awhile? This description makes it sound like Gil did all of the work in providing for his family.

Hard to imagine this line would stay:

"They are close friends with the Jim Bob Duggar family, and when they get together there are 38 outstanding sons and daughters among their two families!"

I don't really follow the Bates but wasn't Lawson buying groceries for them for awhile? This description makes it sound like Gil did all of the work in providing for his family.

The way the bio makes it sound is like money just fell from the sky to support all those Bateses because they were just so "godly." :roll: Is it any wonder why so many fundie men are work-shy when "role models" like Gil Bates are presented as "godly" heroes?

Yup. Gil is as big a grifter as John Shrader.

I'm kind of curious how they explained Josh's various sins to the little bitty kids. Did they use the bike metaphor? Did they tell the wee ones that Josh dearest strayed out into the rain and now he's a rusty bicycle? Or are they still talking about Satan's magical mystery fortress?

I do imagine the entire household is really tense right now. I see Michelle's baby voice reaching frequencies outside the human spectrum and JB doing everything in his "godly power" to instill order. But, I don't know how well it's working.

^ like how you put this.

I think the toughest to subdue will be the older howler boys. Because:

A. They are boys

B. They are howlers

C. Ages 14-16

D. They have grown up with cameras and more freedom that the older set.

I think the rules are going to be much tighter, but they will be tightened because they don't want another child tarnishing their public image. They are still under the delusion that they can resurrect their television career. Ironically, by clamping down even harder they will increase the likelihood of a child doing something unapproved, but they don't understand child psychology.

Agree!

Broke the link.

Now a quote from his bio:

I have no problem with someone taking their concerns and needs to God. And I believe that God can provide opportunities for us - financial and otherwise.

But I take issue with his bragging about being an itinerant worker and still having ALL OF THIS and no debt. Their reality show on The Evil TV is part of their income. And that big house? They'd still be living in a shoebox if Jim Bob Duggar and TLC hadn't come along.

One could argue that God provided via the reality show, but we can't ALL have reality shows. Here's a VSE idea for you Mr. Bates: show us fundie mega-families who don't have steady jobs, a reality show, a blog, or a YouTube channel. I want to see how THEY live.

Exactly. You don't see the Kellers featured much, do you? I'm guessing otger mega families have (gasp) actual college degrees and went this route AFTER they had money.

Hard to imagine this line would stay:

"They are close friends with the Jim Bob Duggar family, and when they get together there are 38 outstanding sons and daughters among their two families!"

Well, you have to admit, Josh Duggar certainly stands out in the crowd now! :cracking-up:

I'm kind of curious how they explained Josh's various sins to the little bitty kids. Did they use the bike metaphor? Did they tell the wee ones that Josh dearest strayed out into the rain and now he's a rusty bicycle? Or are they still talking about Satan's magical mystery fortress?

They could just say, "Joshy was naughty and needs a LOT of time in a prayer closet. It's going to take a lot of time and we need ours for you so he has gone to a special prayer closet."

They could just say, "Joshy was naughty and needs a LOT of time in a prayer closet. It's going to take a lot of time and we need ours for you so he has gone to a special prayer closet."

I could see them not telling the youngest kids anything. Since Josh was already out of state and out of mind, they might not have been thinking about him at all even before the scandals. I thought it was interesting during the Little Rock episodes that Jackson and Johannah said that they missed JD and Joseph, who were back at the TTH. This suggests that JD and Joseph may be "brother-dads" to the younger kids, while Josh is more of an uncle that they see every now and then. It's often been noted how estranged Josh appeared to be from JD and Joseph, the brothers he's closest in age to, but I think that extends to all of most of his siblings. Being older, the Howlers probably have more questions than the Josie and the Lost Girls, but I suspect they're just getting pat answers like, "Josh has sinned badly, and he needs some extended prayer time to let Jesus be in control of his life again."

I could see them not telling the youngest kids anything. Since Josh was already out of state and out of mind, they might not have been thinking about him at all even before the scandals. I thought it was interesting during the Little Rock episodes that Jackson and Johannah said that they missed JD and Joseph, who were back at the TTH. This suggests that JD and Joseph may be "brother-dads" to the younger kids, while Josh is more of an uncle that they see every now and then. It's often been noted how estranged Josh appeared to be from JD and Joseph, the brothers he's closest in age to, but I think that extends to all of most of his siblings. Being older, the Howlers probably have more questions than the Josie and the Lost Girls, but I suspect they're just getting pat answers like, "Josh has sinned badly, and he needs some extended prayer time to let Jesus be in control of his life again."

Yeah, I think the youngest kids mainly see Josh as an uncle who mainly serves to bring Mackynzie, Michael, and Marcus over to play. I don't think any of the kids are close to Josh, even those who don't have a massive age difference with him. Jana seems closest to her twin (and JD seems to tolerate Josh at best), Jessa and Jinger have always been close, Jill seems to get along best with Joy, and Joseph and Josiah seem closest to Jinger. Obviously the molesting incidents were likely the primary cause of this, but it seems like even the older-ish kids (so Josiah to Jason, thereabouts) who were likely shielded from the full story of what happened aren't close to/don't like Josh.

And now it occurs to me how Game of Thrones-esque the alliances and factions in the Duggar household must be. I'm just imagining the buddy teams like houses. House Jill: Ours Is The Fury.

I can see why the younger children do not like Josh. The rules of the household said that Josh was the Alpha and it looks like Josh took full advantage of his status. He has been extremely obnoxious toward the other children even when on his best TV behavior. I don't blame them one bit for not liking him. You reap what you sow.

I'm going to throw this out there, knowing full well I'll be shouted down.

** braces self against wall **

Isn't there a small chance (even if it's only .01%) that this will genuinely cause Jimbob and Michelle to rethink their beliefs, and that it'll ultimately have a positive effect on the kids left at home?

I know, I know, it's Jimbob and Michelle and they're so self righteous that they'll never do a U-turn. I just can't help thinking, as a parent who's child has gone SO far off the path you wished for them, wouldn't you start to question the path, and whether it's right for everyone? I know I would....

Ok, I've put my pads on. You can start throwing rocks now. :?

Archived