IGNORED

The kids still at home

MoonFace

I love that you quote this. I belive the Duggars are the perfect example of pharisees! I once posted such a quotation on the duggar fb. One of my very few comments bevor I got blocked....

Same. I posted to Jessa's page that she and her family were hypocrites and false teachers who've made a god in their own image (aka their version of christianity is always tweaked to best suit them) and she blocked me. :lol: :lol:

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love that you quote this. I belive the Duggars are the perfect example of pharisees! I once posted such a quotation on the duggar fb. One of my very few comments bevor I got blocked....

Same. I posted to Jessa's page that she and her family were hypocrites and false teachers who've made a god in their own image (aka their version of christianity is always tweaked to best suit them) and she blocked me. :lol: :lol:

Smugness comes from being self-righteous about being "right" about staying sweet, pure, and godly. Jesus makes them better."Look at us with our devout tribe of children, we have family values!" " Look how awesome we are, we're on TV!" That's why they're smug.

In light of recent events, you'd think they might want to reevaluate the smuggary with some contrition.

Or that JB thinks he is all that is great and amazing. One thing people like this are good at is living in their own fantasy. Ego maniacs like JB refuse to see where they have gone wrong, because they think they can't go wrong. Any wrong doing or mistake will be chalked up to some outside supernatural source that mere mortals can't compete with.

I agree that it's probably not very likely, but Jenni is only 8. A lot can happen in the next 10 years, especially with the latest downfall of the family brand. I think if anyone in the family has a chance to actually make some of their dreams come true, it's the younger children.

Of course, there would be many obstacles, like overcoming the SOTDRT education, but I still think the younger kids will have a better chance to break out of the cult than the older ones, they haven't been as brainwashed and J'Chelle and Boob aren't getting any younger, and other than trying to keep up appearances, I doubt they have much zeal left to actually train the younger kids the way they did the older ones.

Not to mention that you don't NEED to have a career picked out at 18, or even be in school then. You can go back to school and start a new career at any time.

That said, I think "vet" is a very standard answer for young children who like animals. I know it was one of the things I used to want to do. If it doesn't happen, I wouldn't immediately chalk it up to her upbringing.

One positive: Jenni has her own guinea pig according to the Duggar's FB page. Her smile in the photo is completely genuine. On the family blog it says she wants to be a vet. It'll never happen, but having a pet of her own is probably the closest she'll get.

Why do these people even bother to ask their kids what they want to be when they grow up? We all know that if the parents have their way, none of the girls will do anything other than be homemakers who have as many "blessings" as their uteruses will allow. And the boys aren't allowed to actually, you know, have careers or anything. In a lot of respects, it seems crueler to ask your kids to dream, knowing that you have no intention of ever supporting them in achieving those dreams (and indeed even intend to hinder them) than to just tell your kids from the start that that's not going to be in the cards for you. (Don't get me wrong, I WANT those kids to dream and to realize that they only way to achieve their dreams is to leave this mess of a cult, but just from JB &M's perspective, it doesn't make a lot of sense. It's not like they believe that Jenni will ever be a vet or want her to be one.)

That's what kills me. It's like, "Oh, how cute. Jenny wants to be a veterinarian. She thinks she's a person! It will be so special when she becomes a young lady and realizes that what she really wants is to be a wife and a mommy."

That's what kills me. It's like, "Oh, how cute. Jenny wants to be a veterinarian. She thinks she's a person! It will be so special when she becomes a young lady and realizes that what she really wants is to be a wife and a mommy."

Do you think that they even realize just how fucked up that is?

Also, apologies and only sort of related, but I know that the goal of the Quiverfull movement is to out-populate the rest of us or whatever so that they can take over the government. They also seem to be pretty committed to the idea that education is of the Devil, which makes sense because the likelihood of some of these kids breaking away from fundamentalism increases with education. So, then, in order for them to achieve their goal, they more or less have to keep their kids uneducated. But, this whole outbreeding everyone thing is going to take some time. Obviously. Generations, in fact. Which means that they will have generations of uneducated persons breeding more generations of uneducated persons. And, that's all great and wonderful, but assuming they finally pop out enough of the faithful to take over, who do they expect to do all of the educated things that they have no understanding of or qualifications to do? Clearly, they won't need scientists or lawyers; they have the Bible. But what about doctors to heal them? Or engineers to build things more complicated than an paint-by-numbers house? Or, well, people to do all that sciency stuff that's not covered in the Bible, like make tater tots and the bag they come in or the gas they need to use to go get it from the grocery store and generate the electricity necessary to cook it. How is that supposed to work, exactly?

Ah, who needs doctors or engineers when you've got prayer and ALERT cadets? If they're good enough and pray enough then they won't get sick. If they do get sick but repent and pray enough they'll get better...unless the Lord (in His infinite wisdom and mysterious ways) has decided otherwise. Whole grains and essential oils will help, a shortage of faith will hinder.

Do you think that they even realize just how fucked up that is?

Also, apologies and only sort of related, but I know that the goal of the Quiverfull movement is to out-populate the rest of us or whatever so that they can take over the government. They also seem to be pretty committed to the idea that education is of the Devil, which makes sense because the likelihood of some of these kids breaking away from fundamentalism increases with education. So, then, in order for them to achieve their goal, they more or less have to keep their kids uneducated. But, this whole outbreeding everyone thing is going to take some time. Obviously. Generations, in fact. Which means that they will have generations of uneducated persons breeding more generations of uneducated persons. And, that's all great and wonderful, but assuming they finally pop out enough of the faithful to take over, who do they expect to do all of the educated things that they have no understanding of or qualifications to do? Clearly, they won't need scientists or lawyers; they have the Bible. But what about doctors to heal them? Or engineers to build things more complicated than an paint-by-numbers house? Or, well, people to do all that sciency stuff that's not covered in the Bible, like make tater tots and the bag they come in or the gas they need to use to go get it from the grocery store and generate the electricity necessary to cook it. How is that supposed to work, exactly?

It can't work, but fortunately they haven't figured that out there. The only thing worse than a mob trying to take over the government and impose their will on everyone is an educated, skilled, and organized mob trying to take over the government.

ITA that education would cause more second generation fundies to break away, but at some point they will start breaking away because some will realize that adequate food and shelter is pretty great and a lot easier to achieve when able to leave the house, work for an employer, and have less than eleventy blessings who also require food and shelter.

Ah, who needs doctors or engineers when you've got prayer and ALERT cadets? If they're good enough and pray enough then they won't get sick. If they do get sick but repent and pray enough they'll get better...unless the Lord (in His infinite wisdom and mysterious ways) has decided otherwise. Whole grains and essential oils will help, a shortage of faith will hinder.

Yeah, but what about the tater tots? God has been known to provide manna and to turn water into grape kool aid (which was mistranslated as "wine") and even to multiply loaves and fishes, but would God provide tater tots? :think:

Teaching the kids to put all their faith in God takes away the need to ever worry about the future. God will provide (hopefully in the form of a lucrative reality TV contract) :shrug:

Not to mention that you don't NEED to have a career picked out at 18, or even be in school then. You can go back to school and start a new career at any time.

That said, I think "vet" is a very standard answer for young children who like animals. I know it was one of the things I used to want to do. If it doesn't happen, I wouldn't immediately chalk it up to her upbringing.

ITA. I think that JBoob and JChelle are shitty parents who would likely discourage her from even trying to become a vet, but on the other hand, becoming a vet is super, super hard. Imagine you're going to regular medical school with all the calculus and organic chemistry involved in that, but you also have to learn the anatomies and body systems of several completely different animals. And being a vet, especially in rural Arkansas, might mean less checkups on cute puppies and kittens, and more putting your hand up cow vaginas. I would be so happy if Jenni broke away and became a vet, but if she decides to pursue a different career, I'd be happy for her all the same.

ITA. I think that JBoob and JChelle are shitty parents who would likely discourage her from even trying to become a vet, but on the other hand, becoming a vet is super, super hard. Imagine you're going to regular medical school with all the calculus and organic chemistry involved in that, but you also have to learn the anatomies and body systems of several completely different animals. And being a vet, especially in rural Arkansas, might mean less checkups on cute puppies and kittens, and more putting your hand up cow vaginas. I would be so happy if Jenni broke away and became a vet, but if she decides to pursue a different career, I'd be happy for her all the same.

JB did put his hand in a cow's butt for their down on the farm episode. Super awkward. I doubt the little girls got to watch that though. They were too busy running around a working farm in skirts and open toe shoes.

My university's vet school involves 20+ credit hours a semester in course work, with 7 or 8 classes for those semesters, plus a clinical rotation; most have part-time jobs or internships at local vet clinics or on farms. Jenni would need to know a LOT of science, and not creation museum science. Even vet techs (at least here, with the vet school) have at least a bachelors' in biology if they're not in the program itself.

As much as I'd love to hear that a Duggar had made it out of the compound and into a vet school, I'm not sure if it's even sort of likely.

I've always heard that veterinary school is harder to get into than medical school, given the relative paucity of vet schools versus interest in that field. Most of the time when I hear people like Snooki say they want to be a vet, what they're really saying us they want to be a "vet tech" - - working with animals, assisting with procedures, etc., but not being actual veterinarians with the equivalent of a medical degree focused on animals, from a school harder to get into than medical school.

Being a vet often is a specialty after medical school too. Have y'all heard the classic joke:

Q: What do you call a vet that only knows how to work on one species?

A: A doctor

My DD is an animal science major with an intensity in pre-vet. It is VERY hard to get into vet school. Luckily, she is doing her undergrad word at a school that has placed a huge percentage of grads into vet school. Many of those that don't make it go on to med school. I actually know a doc that said he wanted to be a vet, but wasn't smart enough! :o

My DD is an animal science major with an intensity in pre-vet. It is VERY hard to get into vet school. Luckily, she is doing her undergrad word at a school that has placed a huge percentage of grads into vet school. Many of those that don't make it go on to med school. I actually know a doc that said he wanted to be a vet, but wasn't smart enough! :o

I know someone who is an MD today because he couldn't get into vet school back in 1975. He applied to both vet and med school and had to settle for being a people doctor. The last I heard, he and his wife were planning to retire to a farm and raise dogs in a few years.

As someone else mentioned, vet tech is a more likely career for those who are not academically outstanding but want to help heal animals. I've no idea how that compares with nursing school though. For all I know, rejects from vet tech school become RNs. :wink-kitty: (This is not to suggest that RNs don't have a pretty demanding education also. I know some really good students who couldn't get into nursing school.).

Returning to careers for the Duggar kids, the point is not whether one of them could get into vet school but whether an interest in being a vet might not lead to a career within that child's range of abilities. There are plenty of those out there.

See these idiots don't think. How can you take over when you're uneducated, sheltered, have a bunch of kids, discourage school, birth control, women working, men working for others, and use the bible as your only book. Fundies ain't taking over shit.

And vet school. .. none of these kids will make it to vet school, medical school, nursing school, tech school, or any other real school. Vet school is harder to get into than med school and much harder to become one.

It's what these people do. Let their kids dream and then slap them with reality when they're older.

Didn't Hannie used to want to be a doctor? We'll see how long that lasts now that she is about to turn 10 and will be forced to adhere to her Jender role, given a subpar education and then probably sent over to the J'Slaves to Aunt-Mom for their babies.

Jenny will follow in a couple of years.

Johanna will likely not be a doctor with her stilted education, but I also feel the need to add that most people don't end up going with the career they chose before the age of ten. Otherwise I'd be a doctor/police officer.

There is a very good Vet school at my Alma Mater, I know a couple of people who tried to get in and the stress they were under. 1 of the 3 is a Vet 1, is a people doctor, and #3 gave it all up for the Swiss Country side.

Johanna will likely not be a doctor with her stilted education, but I also feel the need to add that most people don't end up going with the career they chose before the age of ten. Otherwise I'd be a doctor/police officer.

I'd be the President. And a princess. Basically, my plan was to marry Prince William, then get elected president, and he could be king of England and also First Gentleman. So I could have all the fun of being a princess, but with actual political power. That this would probably make me totally unelectable didn't really enter into the equation. And then that wily Kate Middleton gummed up my plans even more.

I'd be the President. And a princess. Basically, my plan was to marry Prince William, then get elected president, and he could be king of England and also First Gentleman. So I could have all the fun of being a princess, but with actual political power. That this would probably make me totally unelectable didn't really enter into the equation. And then that wily Kate Middleton gummed up my plans even more.

Nice!! I was going to be an archeologist. That was it. For most of the years of my childhood. Read books, so interested. I still read archeology materials and texts and take anthropology courses. but nursing took my heart 30 years ago and I have been delighted with that ever since.

We've seen time and again that Jim Boob is hopeless at fixing the Lost Girl's hair, well now he can take a class!

boredpanda.com/dad-does-daughters-hair-teaches-others-emma-philippe-morgese

Archived