IGNORED

Still fundie royalty?

patsymae

Does anyone with connections/insight into this culture know if the Duggars are still held in high esteem by the other brain-dead culties? THey've lost mainstream appeal, and the townspeople got pissed off when they accused officials of taking bribes, but what about the others in their set? Are they seen as beleagured, victims of a child went wrong and a world that is persecuting good CHristians, or are they considered to have fucked up? Will their kids, and especially the daughters, still be seen as great matches?

And to change the subject, anyone else think Ben and Jessa are trying to position themselves to become the next Jim and Tammy Faye?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to know more about this, as well. The only person I've see voicing her support for the Duggars publicly in light of this new scandal is that great fundie social climber, Jill Rodrigues. I haven't seen anything from any other moderately/extremely well-known fundie families yet.

As for Jessa and Ben becoming the next great pair of fundagelical preachers, I don't really see it happening. Ben doesn't strike me as terribly bright, but he did well in school, and he's a nice-enough looking lad that he probably could learn what he needs in order to pull off the role, if he wanted it. Jessa? Never. She's attractive, but too often comes across as if she doesn't like people in general very much. It doesn't mean that she doesn't care at all, but it is the persona she exudes. She would have to learn to at least play-act at being warm and caring toward the flocks that she would minister to, and I don't think she's got it in her.

If they are their kingdom is shrinking.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

They will turn this into righteous Christian family persecuted by secularists but triumph and find redemption to try to regain footing and status in Fundy circles. But really they only care if they can get back on TV and enjoy all the perks that go with being Reality TV personalities.

I remember awhile back someone said the Duggars weren't that highly esteemed in their group even before this. Something about the TV show and them selling out to the world. I don't know if that's true or not though.

I wouldn't think they would still be considered fundie royalty, but fundies are a strange breed, so who knows?

I remember awhile back someone said the Duggars weren't that highly esteemed in their group even before this. Something about the TV show and them selling out to the world. I don't know if that's true or not though.

I wouldn't think they would still be considered fundie royalty, but fundies are a strange breed, so who knows?

I read something like this, but the person saying it was Razing Ruth so....

Anyways, I doubt it is true since the Bates now have a TV show and Gil is on the IBLP board of directors.

I wonder about this too.

Also with the Kellers. They were regular ATI folks for many years and the fact that their two oldest children left made them look not so great. However, after marrying Anna to Josh, they got a real boost. Their prison ministry got a lot more attention and backing from ATI and they were able to marry Priscilla off to a fundie royal who worked directly for Gothard (who cares that he is gay).

But now that Anna's marriage turned out to be a sham, are they going to lose their elevated status?

I read something like this, but the person saying it was Razing Ruth so....

Anyways, I doubt it is true since the Bates now have a TV show and Gil is on the IBLP board of directors.

I've read quite a few accounts of people claiming that the Duggars weren't really fundie royalty. They were famous fundies, but they were definitely becoming too worldly for the roll of fundie royalty.

I've read quite a few accounts of people claiming that the Duggars weren't really fundie royalty. They were famous fundies, but they were definitely becoming too worldly for the roll of fundie royalty.

I've always viewed the Duggars as the fundie version of the Kardashians...which probably is why Jessa and Jill were married to guys from outside IBLP/ATI

I don't know if I buy the whole "weren't really fundie royalty" thing. I am sure that there are fundies that feel that way about them, but in general I think they were fundie royalty. The Duggars were very involved with ATI. Jinger and Jana are currently speaking at an ATI conference. The Duggars have always been to and spoken at Big Sandy (we have seen pictures of them leading sessions). Jana has worked at ATI headquarters and been a JTTH leader. If the Duggars were too worldly, ATI wouldn't be so eager to present them as leaders in the organization. We have also seen many prominent fundies appearing on their show, including ATI higher ups. Again, if they felt the Duggars were too worldly, they wouldn't use their platform to preach.

I don't know if I buy the whole "weren't really fundie royalty" thing. I am sure that there are fundies that feel that way about them, but in general I think they were fundie royalty. The Duggars were very involved with ATI. Jinger and Jana are currently speaking at an ATI conference. The Duggars have always been to and spoken at Big Sandy (we have seen pictures of them leading sessions). Jana has worked at ATI headquarters and been a JTTH leader. If the Duggars were too worldly, ATI wouldn't be so eager to present them as leaders in the organization. We have also seen many prominent fundies appearing on their show, including ATI higher ups. Again, if they felt the Duggars were too worldly, they wouldn't use their platform to preach.

I think the reason why the Duggars might be seen as too worldly is because the IFB world in general and Gothardism in particular is really big into the idea of secondary separation, and not getting involved with anything that is even remotely worldly. Having a TV show and being interviewed by People, the Today show, Good Morning America, etc. is extremely worldly. But at the same time, I think many fundies were proud of that the Duggars, whom they regarded as "one of them", were able to reach a global secular audience through their TV show, because they desperately want mainstream approval, despite their insistence on extreme separation.

I have decided not only are Ben and Jessa playing house - they are also - (both) allowing Ben to act as the headship when it comes across like he knows what he is saying - and it is not only not believable anymore - but it' s coming across as smug and know it all - as for Jessa - she is not sincere and I wonder if that is what he fell for - her smugness because he is just as smug in his interviews now then he ever was.

for example

we live a peaceful quite life yet - (notice he says I ) I wouldn't rule it out --- on tv spiel - we get it Ben you are angling for the free money because it's so easy opposed to do a HONEST DAYS WORK - we also get that you are the headship -

as for Jim and Tammy Faye baker - they ended up divorced - he got caught in the cookie jar went to jail and is preaching somewhere in Flordia, And Tammy Faye ended up dead

so I think they will fade into obscurity in what two years

Recall that Scary Teri Maxwell and one or two of her poor robo-spring were at one of the Duggar homeschool graduations. And that Teri was obviously very aware of the TLC cameras, as she's staring right at them in most of the footage that made TV. Of course part of that was a business relationship -- early episodes of the show featured the Duggars' use of the Maxwells' scheduling system.

I've always viewed the Duggars as the fundie version of the Kardashians...which probably is why Jessa and Jill were married to guys from outside IBLP/ATI

I agree, they are the Kardashians of the fundie world. And as for us? We're just Keeping Up with the Duggars nowadays :wink-kitty:

I think the Duggars are famous fundies but I don't see them as ever being on the IBLP Board, etc. I think Josh and his shenanigans has now fully cemented their place twice over. Most shunning in the IFB is not outwardly noticeable, but done in a very quiet way.

I think over time the Duggars will receive less invitations to speak at conferences and to social occasions.

Are we aware of any speaking engagements that were arranged for AFTER the scandals? I'd be curious to see how quickly things dry up.

My assumption is that people will be gracious publicly (love the sinner hate the sin stuff) but the reality is that people are going to keep their distance. The name Duggar is not what it was and the girls should be glad they will be able to get rid of it. I expect that their public appearances will be less and less as stuff they had scheduled before the news broke pass. Fundies have their own brand of shunning in their circles. Cold shoulders are the preferred method of getting people to go away.

Interestingly enough, the Duggars may have managed to position themselves in a spot where they appeal to neither fundies nor non-fundies by becoming too "worldly" for the fundies yet too "religious creepy" for the non-fundies.

A lot of non-fundies probably found them entertaining because they were an oddity, even if they didn't agree with their religious views. But now that the sexual misconduct issues have come out you can't watch them and feel innocent for having done so.

as for Jim and Tammy Faye baker - they ended up divorced - he got caught in the cookie jar went to jail and is preaching somewhere in Flordia, And Tammy Faye ended up dead

so I think they will fade into obscurity in what two years

But first Tammy Faye ended up a gay icon.

WHO KNOWS this could happen to a Duggar! They'd have to be nice first of course, Tammy Faye had quite a conversion of heart.

WHO KNOWS this could happen to a Duggar! They'd have to be nice first of course, Tammy Faye had quite a conversion of heart.

I don't see any of the Duggars ending up as beloved gay icons a la Tammy Faye.

I think they may have become too stylish for the true ATI devotees, but they could still have a good run of "royalty" (minus Josh) in the IFB and even mainstream Baptist churches.

Regarding the bold:

This made me think that yes, anything could happen to a Duggar. The oldest screwed up (royally!) and there are 18 others.

If there were just 2 Duggar kids, they could be like, well, Josh turned out to be the bad apple, but Jana, she's the good one.

Even if you discount Jill and Jessa, who so far seem to be fundie poster wives, and Jana, who seems to be a fundie poster daughter... that still leaves 15 kids with 15 personalities and 15 futures. Anything, literally anything, could happen.

I think they're fundie royalty in the way Kardashians are pop culture royalty.

They have money and fame, but doesn't mean they are actually respectable people.

But to those who want money and fame, they're royalty.

Like how Pa Keller was no doubt super pleased to marry Anna off to Joshley but families like the Bates who already have their own money/fame probably don't want to touch the Duggars, unless a genuine love-match happens.

Archived